Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and The Story In The Runes by IHateSnakes

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Harry Potter and The Story In The Runes
A “Fan Fiction” Based on the Harry Potter Series By J. K. Rowling

Chapter 25 “ What Was That About?

Please R&R, it makes for better stories!
.


“Harry, are you certain you wouldn’t rather do this at St. Mungo’s? Sometimes the walls have ears.” Asked Olga Windshine for the third and last time. During the meeting in Snape’s office, she had come to realize that Harry could not recollect anything about the final battle other than what he had been told. The reasons why had become obvious to her a short while later; outside of his conscious efforts to suppress the bad memories, Harry was still suffering from many of the curses he had absorbed. While not actively injuring him now, they had blocked off parts of his memories. Now Harry was asking Olga to remove the curses so he could remember everything.

The Healer and the patient continued their slow walk to the hospital wing where Olga had, reluctantly, agreed to try and remove the curses this evening. Maybe this will appeal to him more and give me the opportunity to observe her skills. “Harry, wait a moment, I have an idea. If we can schedule this for next weekend, would you like Ms. Weasley to perform the work?”

Harry turned and was about to protest but Olga was prepared. “I know your reservation, but Ms. Weasley would be in no danger at all. I don’t believe she realizes the skill she has and I will be able to help her along. The most important reason, though, is your relationship with her. That bond will prevent you from causing her any harm and make the entire procedure easier.”

“I’m not worried about me causing harm, it’s the curses in my mind I’m worried about.”

“Nonsense Harry, you know better than that. An inflicted curse can’t be transferred to another person; they are not contagious. If Ms. Weasley can find them I can dispel them. If she cannot, then no harm is done and I’ll try. In addition, these types of probes are actually very therapeutic among close friends. Ah...yes, I see you already know that.”

Harry instantly knew that Olga detected his use of Legilimancy on Hermione. Merlin, that woman is amazing!

“Thank you for that thought, Harry, but sometimes it is a curse. I have more trouble blocking thoughts than reading them; it makes for a lonely life. Crowds can be very...noisy.”

“Yeah, I didn’t think of it that way. I guess if you’re there and Ginny wants to try it we can give it a go.”

“I believe this would be the best choice. Shall we try for next Saturday? Wonderful, I’ll owl you with the confirmation.”

“You know, almost the entire day of the last battle has been an empty hole in my memory. Hardly anyone ever talks about it, I think I understand why, but I’d like to know what happened.”

“If you’re certain. Have you ever heard of the cliché: ‘be careful what you ask for, you might get it’?”

Harry understood her question perfectly.


_____


Waiting at the train station for a half hour, hoping the Hogwarts Express would be early, Harry paced back and forth. It never was early, but... On the walk to the station, Harry noticed from a distance the lights on at Ron and Hermione’s house. They’re back! Harry couldn’t wait to see them, almost as much as Ginny.

Shortly before four, Harry heard a distant whistle blow, and in another minute the engine’s slow, steady chugging became audible. Returning to the station house, Harry picked up the flowers for Ginny and a small gift he had purchased. Waiting inside the warm station, so the cold air would not damage the flowers, Harry watched the purple engine appear a few hundred meters down the track as it came around the last curve. Suppressing the desire to run out on the platform and look for Ginny, Harry recalled a day eight years ago when he’d seen her running after the train at King’s Cross Station waving at her brothers.

Come on, Potter. A watched pot never boils! Perhaps, but Harry definitely felt something boiling inside him, flipping his stomach around and making his hands shake slightly. Standing at the window of the station, Harry watched every car as it rolled slowly by...1...2...3...4...5. He almost missed her, Harry was looking in the car windows, but Ginny was standing in the door at the end of the fifth car, waving and calling his name. It seemed like an eternity before the train stopped rolling.

“Go get her, Harry. I’ll hold those for you.”

Turning around at the sound, there were Ron and Hermione standing behind him, holding hands and smiling. “Thanks!” Harry exclaimed and almost dropped the flowers as he tried to hand them backwards and walk forward at the same time. Ron and Hermione caught them, amused at Harry’s eagerness.

By the time Harry reached the sixth car he could see that Ginny had already stepped onto the platform; she was waving and running towards him. A strong sense of deja vous hit Harry; he could see Ginny running toward him after the Quidditch match, then their first kiss; today felt was just as wonderful. Stopping just a couple meters away from each other, both sets of eyes locked. Harry then closed the distance in three rapid steps and pulled Ginny to himself, first kissing her then crushing her body against his. The single week had seemed like a year, but the wait was now over.

“You two just going to stand there all night?” Ron asked, trying to get their attention, without much success. Finally Ginny removed one arm from Harry and pulled her brother into the embrace. Ron was shocked to find his sister’s face wet with tears; well, perhaps not so greatly shocked. All three stood there, with scores of other students, some talking, some walking, and some whistling at them, but they didn’t care.

Ginny felt a small, unfamiliar hand on her back and looked to see Rudy walk by with Carol and Lisa giggling behind him. She smiled and winked back.

Finally Harry broke away, and with an arm around each of their shoulders, walked Ginny and Ron back to the station. When they arrived, Hermione was standing, watching them enter. Her face was glowing and her smile was striking. She first went to Ginny and held her, crying together as Ron and Harry rolled their eyes and shook their heads. Then Hermione turned to Harry. “’Welcome Home,’ that was lovely, Harry. Ron and I missed you two.”

“But not too much, I imagine.” Harry replied, just as he had done a week before. They all laughed and stood together, almost speechless. At last Harry said, “Let me get your bag, Gin...oh, and these are for you.” Harry took the flowers Hermione had handed to him, along with the gift, and gave them to Ginny, adding a kiss as he ran out to get her things.

Ginny opened the gift and found a gold-framed picture of Harry. The frame was a perfect match with the one she had sent him earlier in the week, and the picture, like hers, was a Muggle photo of Harry standing, holding his broom, with Hogwarts in the background. Returning a minute later Ginny kissed Harry and thanked him for the gifts. Again, they both found it difficult to break apart.

“Oy, come on you two, let’s get back to the house. It’s drafty here and I’m...”

HUNGRY! All three said at the same time. Ginny walked to Ron and held her brother’s arm, starting back to Hogsmeade. Harry looked at Hermione and noticed she was hesitant to approach him so he took her hand and led her on, following Ginny and Ron.

“I have some interesting things to tell you about, Maya. We’re going to be busy the next few weeks. In fact, are you and Ron available next Saturday morning.”

“I think so, Harry. Why?”

“I’ll fill you all in at dinner. Did you make your famous apple cobbler?”

“Yes, Harry. The apples in the ice box were not a very subtle a hint.”


_____


RONALD! Watch out! I have a few juicy stories I can share, too. Just remember that.” When they saw the expression on Ron’s face, Harry and Ginny laughed so hard they had to hold onto each other to keep from falling off their chair. Harry felt he had not had this much fun in years. The company, the food, the wine, and the stories were the perfect mixture.

Wiping tears from his eyes, Harry looked at Hermione’s flushed red face. “Aw Maya, I didn’t think you had it in you.”

Ron put his arm around Harry. “What do you mean, Harry? You don’t remember last summer at the Fairling’s pond?”

Laughing again at Hermione’s embarrassment, Harry asked, “How did you know no one would be around?”

Hermione was doing her best to be very “matter-of-fact” about the whole story. “Well, Harry, when Ron suggested it, and I do have SOME modesty, I told him we could try it the next day. So that afternoon I did a little exploring and found a nice isolated cove where no one could see us.”

Harry looked at Ginny, who was still recovering from the last laughing fit. “Hmmm, Gin, I knew Maya was brilliant but never thought she’d use her analytical skills to find a place to go skinny dipping.” Harry and Ginny started giggling like kids again. Hermione was trying to remain composed, but she was turning so red that she wet her napkin and dabbed her face. Ron just sat there, staring at Hermione, with a dreamy look on his face and Harry could see that Hermione was trying hard to hold back laughing herself.

“All right. It was fun, I have to admit that.”

“Yeah, Harry, it was so much fun we spent the rest of the week there.” This time all three looked at Hermione until she could not help herself. Laughing as hard as the others, she pointed at Harry and reminded him about something she told him in August. “Don’t forget what I said, Potter. Ginny is much more like that side of me.” Hermione was now enjoying Harry and Ginny’s discomfort. Ron just looked puzzled.

After the four had calmed down some Hermione and Ron started clearing the plates. Harry and Ginny heard Ron say quietly, “Hey, Maya, you’re not mad, are you?” After a pause “ Harry could picture Hermione thinking up a response - “No, love. In fact I liked it so much I think we should find a nice place around here that we can use. Maybe Harry and Ginny can join us.”

Ron’s eyes went wide, but he immediately got a devilish grin. “Hey, we could use the Fairling’s pond!”

“No, it’s too cold, Ron.”

Walking back into the dining area, Ron wrapped Hermione in his arms. “I know, but you’re so cute when you’re cold...and I can keep you warm.”

“Ewww, Ron, please!” Ginny was covering her face for a moment and then looked at her brother. “Harry, yes; Hermione, maybe; you, no!”


When everything was cleaned and the two couples were relaxing in front of the fireplace, Harry brought up his idea for the following Saturday. “Um, Ron, Hermione. I would like to borrow your parlor for a while next Saturday, if I could.” Ginny gave Harry an “oh, really?” look. “Sorry, Gin. I need you here, but not for that.”

Ron started cracking up again but Hermione was curious as to why Harry had turned serious. “What’s the event, Harry?”

“Well, it’s a long story, but to make it short, I asked Olga Windshine, she’s the Director of St. Mungo’s and probably the best Legilimen in the world, uh, to help me with something. I met her yesterday in a meeting with Snape and Moody. Afterwards we talked about some things at the final battle that are still locked away up here,” Harry tapped his head, “and I wanted to find out what they are.”

Ron, Ginny, and Hermione instantly sat up and looked gravely at each other. They all knew what Harry was talking about. “Harry, there’s a very good reason you were never told those things.” Said Hermione, aggressively trying to change Harry’s mind. “Please don’t do this. Ron, Ginny, and I were there, we know what happened.”

Harry did not understand their resistance since he had no clue what had happened. “But I don’t know. Olga and I talked about this a long time. She feels I can’t heal completely with this big empty spot in my memory. She is also certain that the reason I can’t remember is because of some lingering curses.”

This was news to the other three. Until now they thought Harry’s memory had just been wiped clear of the events, and they were happy with that. If Harry really knew what happened but could not recall it, that was different. Still, all of them were unsure of Harry’s proposal.

“Harry, do you really feel strongly about this?” Ginny asked, hesitantly.

“Yes, I do, and I want Ron and Hermione to be there to help either of us if something, well, I don’t know. I just felt it was better for them to be here.”

“And me, Harry?”

“Um, well, if you are willing, Olga thinks it best if you do the probing.” Harry heard Hermione let out a small gasp and Ginny immediately started to tear.

“Harry, I can’t help you with this. I was there and saw what happened. I don’t want to relive it again.”

“Ginny, you won’t be reliving it, in fact, Olga will be working with you, helping identify the curses she will remove.”

“But I don’t know anything about Legilimancy, I’ve never even tried it!”

Harry thought back to Olga’s comment about Ginny’s ability. “Are you sure?”

“Harry! What do you mean, ‘am I sure,’ I think I would know.” Harry didn’t press it further because Hermione had stood up, and she did not look happy with Harry.

“Ron, Ginny, can I speak with you for a moment?” The three immediately left the parlor and went into the bedroom, closing the doors. A few minutes later they returned and sat in their old places.

“Harry,” Hermione’s face was unreadable. “Ron and Ginny are completely against this, and I would be too if you and I hadn’t, um, I mean, if you hadn’t done something like this to me. I understand, first hand, what’s happening, they don’t.”

Looking Ginny in the eyes, Harry tried one more time. “Gin, I need you to do this for me. Please try. If at any point you experience something uncomfortable Olga will come out with you. Please, Gin.”

“Harry, I just don’t know. I have to think about it.” That was the last of that subject Harry could get out of Ginny.


_____


Walking Ginny back to Hogwarts, Harry told her about Snape’s plan to try to see if Percy could be treated. He immediately knew he had brought up the wrong topic. “Harry! What is it with you? A mind probed here, a little digging there. Can’t you just leave it?”

“Ginny, he’s your brother, and mine, sort-of.”

“Oh, shut up, Harry.” Again Ginny ended the conversation, and again Harry didn’t get the response he was expecting.

Walking up to the Gryffindor common room, Harry handed Ginny her bag and the flowers. “I slipped the picture into the side pouch of your bag. Well, I guess I’ll see you tomorrow, Gin.” Harry was hesitant to kiss Ginny after the last out burst, and she was just standing with her head down, not making a move, one way or the other. “Hey, GinGin, what’s wrong?”

Ginny did not say anything for a few seconds, then, “Harry, wait her for a few minutes, would you?” Without waiting for an answer she gave the password and ran into the common room. Before the doors closed Harry heard a number of people greet Ginny, but there was no response from her. About five minutes later, Ginny came back through the common room door in her pajamas and robe.

“Hi, well good night. See you at breakfast.” Leaning down to kiss Ginny, Harry was stopped by her hand to his chest.

“Come on, Harry.”

“Where?”

“Your room, I want to spend the night.” Ginny’s tone was completely wrong for the suggestion she was making, or the suggestion Harry thought she was making.

“Gin, you’re kidding, right? If you get caught anywhere near my room wearing that, you’ll be expelled and I’ll be sacked. Then your mother will kill us both. What’s going on?”

“Harry, don’t worry, I don’t want sex, I just want to be with you. I’ll sleep on the sofa. Let’s go.” Taking off down the hallway, pulling Harry by the hand, they only got about thirty meters when Snape rounded the corner ahead.

“Ms. Weasley, welcome back. Mr. Potter, did you speak with your friend about tomorrow?”

“Uh, Yes sir, what time are we leaving?”

“Right after breakfast. Where are you two headed, Ms. Weasley?”

Please, Ginny, don’t say it, please, please…

“To Harry’s room, I was lonely and wanted to spend the night…on the sofa, of course.”

Merlin, Ginny. Why?

“I see.” Snape stood there, looking at Ginny who was staring at him in return.

Ginny, I’m going to kill you!

“Mr. Potter, what did you tell Ms. Weasley about her idea?”

“I quoted the rules, sir.”

Harry knew he was sunk, but Ginny just stood there, then said, “Headmaster, Harry wants to meet with Olga something-or-another so she can show him what happened in the last battle.” Harry had though it could not get any worse, but it just had.

Snape stood there, still looking. “Ginny, go to your dorm. I’ll see you in my office at seven tomorrow morning.” Then turning to Harry, “Good night, Harry. I wouldn’t expect any company tonight, if I were you.”

Harry could not believe his ears. Was this Severus Snape? Then Harry was distracted from any further amusement when Ginny let go of his hand and ran back to the Gryffindor common room.

“Potter, your friend has a very good reason for trying to stop you. I would seriously reconsider your plans for next Saturday.”

Snape started to turn away, but Harry had finally had enough of the riddles. He ran around in front of Snape and stopped, trying to block his path. “Professor Snape, what is going on? I’ve been getting this for the last hour from Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and now you.”

“I see, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley wanted to spend the night with you, also? On the sofa, too, I presume.”

“What did you just say?” Harry really did not understand what he had just heard. The words “joke” and “Snape” were never used in the same sentence, as far as Harry was concerned.

“Potter, listen to me. If it was a curse from the Dark Lord that kept those things hidden from you, you may want to make it the one action you could thank him for. Please, do not go there.” Snape looked deeply into Harry’s eyes. Harry had the idea he was trying to convey the seriousness of his statement, but he was not sure of anything right now.

“I’ll consider your suggestion, sir. Good night.” Harry turned and walked to his room, wondering what was so awfully secret and scary about the final battle. How could it be worse than the previous seven years?


_____


Later that evening, while getting ready for bed, Ron saw Hermione standing, just staring at a wall like she does when she is thinking. “Hey love, what’s on your mind?”

“Harry, what else? Ron I’m worried that Harry will go spare if he sees what happened. I know I would if it were me.”

“Yeah, but Harry is different, we’ve always known that. I talked about this with Fred and George in the hospital. They think he can handle it, but they also said he might need help, like counseling.”

Hermione turned to Ron and hugged him; then holding him gently finished her thought. “Well, everyone has their breaking point, Ron. Sometimes I think Harry is well past his.”

Standing together a few more minutes, Ron kissed Hermione gently on her cheek then lay down on the bed. Hermione made a trip to the loo and then snuggled next to Ron, who had started reading his team playbook. It was getting late and both were tired from a lack of sleep, but not too tired.

Hermione turned to Ron and whispered into his ear, “Ron, feel up to breaking in the new bed?”