Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and The Story In The Runes by IHateSnakes

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Harry Potter and The Story In The Runes
A “Fan Fiction” Based on the Harry Potter Series By J. K. Rowling

Chapter 27 “ What Lay Hidden Beneath

Please Read & Review, it makes for better stories!



A/N: Rated “PG-13” for violence, a bit of gore, and character deaths.


“Ah, I see you haven’t convinced them yet, have you Harry? You know what Harry’s asking and your reservations are directed at preventing Harry more pain. That is a commendable sentiment, but not what’s needed. You three are Harry’s closest friends, particularly you, Ms. Weasley. Why do you deny him the peace he seeks?”

Ron, Ginny, and Hermione stood, stunned by Windshine’s words; it was as if she had read their minds, which is exactly what had just happened. The elderly lady was standing in the hallway, speaking casually while shaking some snow off of her arms, and removing her coat. Harry stood behind her, just inside the front door of Ron and Hermione’s house. A bitter cold wind blew down the hall giving everyone shivers; but Ginny had been shaking long before this and had not noticed the icy breeze at all.

Hermione, standing next to Ginny, was holding her arm, trying to give her comfort. This was not having the desired effect; Hermione was almost as anxious as Ginny. Ron had been talking to Hermione all week about this day and he looked pale and fearful for his best friend.

Closing the door behind him, Harry shed his coat and escorted Olga to the parlor where he made the formal introductions to Ron, Hermione, and Ginny. Ginny refused to shake the Olga’s hand, but Harry thought it was more because she was staring at the Floor than outright rudeness. After this, Ron invited everyone to sit.

“Ron, I would like to sit in the love seat with Harry, if that’s alright with you.” Olga asked.

“No” Ginny said in a quiet voice. “I want to do it, or at least I’ll try. But I don’t know anything about Legilimancy.” When Ginny sat next to Harry, Ron and Hermione sat on the opposing sofa, holding hands and looking apprehensive.

“Gin, are you certain?” Harry asked. Seeing her nod “yes,” Harry looked at Olga. “Ok, I guess we’re ready.”

Olga had been watching Ginny as she changed her mind and asked her gently, “Ginny, may I speak with you for a moment, in private?”

Hermione offered the den for their use and they left the parlor together.

“Ginny, dear, are you certain about this? I can tell that you have serious reservations.” The question was posed with the utmost tenderness and earnestness, but Windshine’s efforts at calming Ginny were wasted.

How dare you do this to Harry! Hasn’t he been through enough? Why make him relive that day? Do you realize it might kill him to see what really happened? That’s the only reason I said I would help, so I could be with him.” Ginny was seething, but keeping her voice down so the others couldn’t hear.

“Ginny, Harry will not die. I know he won’t, but it won’t be easy for him…”

Before Olga could continue, Ginny drew her wand and threw a silencing spell on the small room. “HOW CAN YOU BE SURE? HAVE YOU LIVED WITH HIM LIKE I HAVE, DO YOU LOVE HIM LIKE I DO? DO YOU KNOW WHAT SURVIVING THAT HORRIBLE DAY MEANT TO HARRY AND ME? FOR THE FIRST TIME WE COULD BE TOGETHER WITHOUT FEAR. WE COULD LOVE EACH OTHER WITHOUT HAVING TO WATCH OVER OUR SHOULDERS TO SEE WHO WAS ABOUT TO KILL US.” Lowering her voice, but not her passion, Ginny kept up her assault. “You saw me at the hospital with Harry. We would have died together...”

“But you didn’t, Ginny, because you rescued Harry...”

Ginny wasn’t listening to Windshine. “Let’s get this over with, and I hope I never see you again.

The words came out of Ginny’s mouth with a devotion Olga had seldom seen in her experiences. She needed Ginny calm for the procedure and tried to calm her again. “Gin, please stop.”

Hearing Olga address her as Harry did stunned Ginny into immobility, and before she could turn on Windshine she felt something stop her. “Ginny, everything you said is true. I do not know for a fact that Harry can survive this on his own, but I do know for a fact that you both can survive it together. Think, Ginny; remember being with Harry in the hospital? You two were one, as you are about to be again. If everything the Dark Lord threw at Harry didn’t kill him, this will not kill him either.” Windshine released the gentle holding spell she had cast on Ginny and let her leave the room.


Walking back into the parlor, Olga saw Ginny sitting next to Harry, eyes red and puffy, but full of determination. Sitting on a chair facing Ginny and Harry, she met Ginny’s eyes. You will both be fine, I promise. Ginny turned and looked away.

Forcing herself to ignore Ginny’s obstinacy, Olga began. “Let’s start. Ron, Hermione, Ginny, this will take only a few minutes. Harry, please make yourself comfortable and let me know when you are ready to begin.”

Harry shifted a little, leaning slightly against the arm of the sofa, and then he indicated that he was ready. The Healer touched Harry’s forehead, holding her fingers there for two seconds, and then turned to Ginny. “Harry is in a light sleep now but can hear us, correct Harry?”

“Yes.”

“And he can obviously respond. Ginny, before we begin I must tell you that by accepting this role you will be strengthening an already solid bond between you and Harry. I don’t think I really need to ask you this, but is that acceptable to you?”

Ginny nodded her head.

“Good. This is what I want you to do, Ginny. Think of Harry as you saw him when the battle was over. Get a good mental picture of that time. Severus had just used a Portkey to send the three of you to St. Mungo’s and placed Harry on a gurney.”

Ginny closed her eyes and Olga placed her had on Ginny’s shoulder but felt it tense up under her touch. Hermione was watching, but Ron had turned away, reliving his own terrible pain at that moment. Ginny picked her hands up off of her lap and placed her hands on Harry’s chest, but could not get quite the position she was looking for.

“Harry, it’s me, love. Turn your body to the left and lean back against me.” Harry did what Ginny asked and Hermione instantly knew why. Ginny had wrapped her arms around Harry’s chest; it looked exactly like what she had done to Harry at the hospital. Olga looked over to Hermione and smiled. She too recognized their posture from eight months ago.

“Good Ginny. Relax and listen to me. I want you to keep your eyes closed and...”

Ginny interrupted the Healer. “I can see.” Ginny’s comment startled Olga a little; she obviously was not expecting Ginny to ‘contact’ Harry so quickly or easily.

“Very good, Ginny. Now...”

Then Harry’s torso moved, like it was shivering, this time it was Hermione that knew what had happened. “She’s in! That’s what I did when Harry touched my mind and I recognized him.” Hermione’s eyes were wide with amazement.

“Good. Ginny, listen to me. Do not do or touch anything you see in Harry’s mind, or say anything to Harry except what I tell you to say. Understand?” Ginny nodded her head.

Do you recognize anything? You may need to look around a bit.” Again Ginny nodded, but this time she had a smile on her face.

“You are doing wonderfully. You have entered a part of Harry’s mind that you are most familiar with; it’s the part of him that controls his most common movements, mannerisms, non-verbal queues; all the manifestation of his love for you is right here before it turns physical. Ginny, Harry, I want both of you to find each other here.”

Both drew in a sharp breath simultaneously. They had obviously made contact on a level of intimacy they were unfamiliar with.

“Good, it’s nice, isn’t it?” Both just smiled. Olga had hoped this would further calm Ginny for the next steps. “Now Ginny, we need to move you from Harry’s consciousness to his unconscious mind. You should be able to do this easily. Look around; do you notice a darkness that almost looks like a hole? You might have to look quickly, it likes to hide, but once you spot it you should be able too keep it in your sight.”

“Yes, I see.”

“Good. Now move toward it. Take as much time as you need.”

“I can’t.”

“Why not?”

“Every time I move it shifts out of my sight. It’s like it doesn’t want me there.”

“That was an astute evaluation, Ms. Weasley.” Olga smiled, turning to Ron and Hermione. “This young lady is very good.” Turning back, Olga continued. “Ginny, I want you to stop and locate the darkness again. Please let me know when you see it again.”

“Yes, I have it now.”

“Good. What you are seeing is a curse, almost certainly the Gatekeeper curse. It does just what its name implies; it keeps things in or out. In our case, it’s keeping you out and probably part of Harry’s memories in. Almost all dark curses that are aimed at the mind have the Gatekeeper incantation as part of the spell.” Olga placed her other hand on the top of Harry’s head and whispered something nearly imperceptible.

“Ginny?”

“Yes.”

“Try moving again and let me know what happens.”

After a short pause Ginny responded. “I’m in.”

“Wonderful. I dispelled that curse. Now Ginny, I need you look around and think as you are looking. Does any of this seem familiar to you?”

“It’s all dark, every where.”

“No Ginny, it isn’t. Look again, but don’t try to rely on your eyes, they could never see what your mind can see. Look with your mind, go very slowly. Good…don’t forget that you are in a three dimensional world. There’s an up and down here, too.”

Ginny did not respond for a minute and Ron started to pace.

“Ron, everything is fine. I see everything your sister sees and it looks normal. We are dealing with advanced magic and it’s not always easy to find what you need.”

“I see it!” Ginny exclaimed right after Olga finished speaking. “I’ve been here. This is where I found Harry...I thought...I thought I was dreaming.” Her voice was filled with excitement and wonder.

The Healer nodded her head. “Yes Ginny, I see. Those days you were with Harry, you thought that you had dreamt this.”

“Yes! I almost feel like I lived here.”

“You did, my dear, for an entire week. Now, I need you to focus on what you are seeing. I’m going to see exactly what it is and dispel it.”

For a half minute or so no one said or did anything. Ron and Hermione were sharing a concerned look and Ron was beginning to fidget again.

“Very good, Ginny. Keep it up, I’m almost finished. There was some…very advanced...very dark…magic here. There. Now listen to me Ginny. Can you hear me?”

“Yes.”

“And Harry, can you hear me?”

“Yes.”

“Ginny, do not do anything until I say so. To break the connection all you need do is open your eyes and release Harry. Now wait for me to give Harry instructions.”

Turning to Ron, Olga said in a hushed voice, “Ron, would you please get a pail? Harry may get sick, I know I might, too. Ginny, I see why you didn’t tell him what you saw. I’m so sorry, but once this is out Harry will be finished with it and can truly recover. He has, like most people, parts of his memories hidden from others. In Harry’s case he never had the chance to make a conscious choice to face or repress all this.”

The Healer sat quietly, waiting for Ron to return. When he had set the pail in front of Harry, the Healer spoke again. “Harry, listen very carefully. When I tell Ginny to leave you, all the memories those curses suppressed will move to your conscious mind. I have seen many of your memories and they are indeed terrible. I’ve told Ginny that I understand why she didn’t want to tell you what happened in the battle. However, I still believe you need to face this if you are ever to complete your healing.”

“Harry, it’s your choice to repress these memories, but you can only choose once. If you repress them now, they will stay with you the rest of your life, buried in your subconscious mind. You may not even notice they are there, but if you release them you will be able to face them at your leisure. After a time your own mind will learn to deal with them and render them benign. Do you understand what I’m saying?”

“Yeah, I think so.”

“Are you ready for Ginny to leave?”

There was a pause. Harry’s body shifted slightly and Ginny seemed to be holding Harry tighter. Windshine smiled and turned to Ron and Hermione, but addressed Harry. “Harry, Ginny, that’s not something you want to do with others watching.”

WHAT?” Hermione and Ron both exclaimed.

Olga laughed and told them, “I think I’ll let Harry or Ginny explain that one to you.”

“Ok, let’s try it.” Harry said in a resigned tone.

“Alright, Ginny, it’s time to come back. Now.”

Leaning away from Harry and opening her eyes, Ginny broke contact and stood up, looking through slightly blurred vision to find Ron and Hermione. They both stepped toward her and held her. She was shaking but quickly calmed down.

“Harry? Do you know what you want to do now?”

Harry did not answer, but when he nodded “yes” tears were already falling off his face. Then he opened his eyes and remembered.


_____


Everyone was nearby, those who would die and those who would live, and everyone was on one side or the other. As the darkness which held Harry’s memories buried since April 16 receded, all the details of the final battle became painfully revealed. Harry was with the students, teachers, the DA members, Aurors, and Order members on the South lawn, completely surrounded by almost two thousand Death Eaters; mostly adults, but a hundred or so were Hogwarts students from Slytherin - Voldemort’s Army.

Furious with everyone, Harry was being held back and protected by the more experienced wizards and witches. Ron, Hermione, Neville, Remus, Tonks, Ginny, Fred, George, Percy, Bill, and Charlie were in the center of this large circle with him, unable to easily throw spells; they also were there to protect Harry at all costs. Much of the student body was here, too; but many others were dead on the south lawn, the very first victims of this last battle.

Snape was nowhere to be seen.

Voldemort would show himself, laughing, taunting, trying to draw Harry out. Sometime he would walk in the front of his army, whenever someone threw a spell at him he conjured a silver shield and it would fly off into the sky, or sometime back into the crowd, The Death Eaters were whittling the defenders down, but also paying a high price. It had become a battle of attrition, but the Death Eaters had the numbers.

Harry was momentarily encouraged when he saw Hagrid and Grawp come thundering out of the forest, with the three-headed dog, Fluffy, running along side, attacking the rear of the Death Eaters. Their sortie did not last long, however, Grawp was soon killed by Riddle, who, after throwing the killing curse, continued to send slashing spells at the dead giant’s body. Hagrid, in a rage, ran toward the evil wizard, throwing an enormous tree trunk he carried. Then he was hit by dozens of spells, none of which seemed to have an effect, (Hagrid’s thick half-giant hide protected him, but no killing spells had been thrown, either.) Riddle leapt out of the way and the trunk tore a hole in the line, knocking out or killing at least twenty Death Eaters. Fluffy bore down on Riddle who laughed and threw a spell causing Fluffy stop and turn against Hagrid who now had to fight off Fluffy until an explosive spell knocked both of them unconscious.

Then part of the Death Eaters’ line began to falter. Harry heard something and looked to the south, towards Hogsmeade. More than two hundred wizards, some bloodied and limping, were apparating just outside the gate to Hogsmeade, running to help. At their front, charging, and screaming like a madman, was Viktor Krum, leading the relief from other European Wizarding schools. Harry saw him kill Lucius Malfoy and two other Death eaters. Turning back to find out if Hagrid was alright, Harry saw the giant was still down, alive, but in pain.

Ron screamed out, “Don’t look!” and Harry instantly knew what had happened. Turning again to the south, Viktor Krum was lying dead on the ground, blood covering his torn body. Ron was holding Hermione, but she was not crying. Harry saw something in her eyes she had never shown before: pure rage and hatred. Pushing her way out of the inner circle she charged Voldemort’s followers, screaming like Krum, casting spells and taking down ten or more of the distracted enemy before they knew what hit them. The students then started to break out of their protective ring of wizards and witches and followed her lead, pouring into the breech her attack had made in the enemy lines; but just like Hagrid, she was blown backwards with an explosive spell and lay on the lawn, stunned. Ron reached her and stood over her, protecting her while Madam Pomfrey ran to help.

But Hermione’s actions did have an effect, there was chaos in the enemy lines as their cohesion broke down completely. The Durmstrang group, Harry saw, was being reinforced by wizards from other schools. They were rolling the Death Eater’s line up one way and the growing group of wizards and witches who had followed Hermione’s lead were pushing in the other direction. The attackers had now become the prey, most being cornered against the side of the school. Another smaller group of Death Eaters ran around to the west. Harry watched this group; Riddle was in the center, still screaming madly and casting spells. Harry yelled for people to follow him, but only the inner circle and a few others heard and stayed with him.

Chasing after Riddle, to the north entrance, Harry had an idea what he was doing. The Death Eaters entered the north wing and ran to the girls’ toilet that would lead them to the Chamber of Secrets. Harry heard voices behind him, yelling, screaming for him to stop. Hesitating, he looked behind and saw that he had outpaced everyone except Ginny and Bill Weasley. Catching his breath, Harry motioned for the others to move into the Great Hall. He was soon glad he had waited. They had followed sixty or seventy Death Eaters and there were less than twenty of them. If they had gone into the Chamber like this they would all be dead.

Bill, puffing to catch his breath, told Harry, “The other battle is almost over. Wait for more help, Harry. If Voldemort’s in the Chamber, he’s trapped.” Harry was glad for the brief respite, he took a drink of water from a bottle being passed around, but what really refreshed him was seeing Ron and Hermione run into the hall. Hermione was banged up and limping a little, but had not been seriously injured. Ron, Harry noticed, was standing guard over her like a body guard, one hand on her shoulder.

“All right there, Ron, Hermione?” Harry asked. Both nodded.

“Harry, this is it.” Ginny said this so quietly Harry almost missed it. Looking down he saw fear in her eyes. He wanted to sweep her into his arms and run away, but he knew that would be a disaster. Instead, Harry called out, “This is it, we end it here.” It echoed in the hall and he saw everyone focus on him, nodding, grim expressions on their faces. As Harry was about to start toward the Chamber entrance another voice spoke.

“Potter! Come here, quickly”

It was Snape! Silence now filled the hall that had just echoed with Harry’s voice. Instantly sobered, Harry walked to the potions professor. The crowd watched the two talk and saw Snape hand something to Harry. Harry put it in his robe but seemed to be arguing with Snape. Taking his wand out, Snape walked away from Harry and joined the crowd which had now swelled to more than two hundred. Harry saw Molly Weasley limping in the north entrance, supported by her husband. Both had grave but determined looks on their faces. Harry made eye contact and they seemed relieved to see him.

Looking over to Snape, Harry waited for his nod, but before that, Snape’s voice boomed through the silence. “All is ready, you know what you must do.” It was so un-Snape like Harry thought he actually heard some laughs, but the seriousness of the moment was quickly recaptured when Harry told everyone the plan.

“I’ll open the Chamber and enter first. There’s a long slide down to the bottom, so when you land, get out of the way quickly. If you have a leg injury, don’t cripple the rest of us by landing at the bottom and blocking the passage.” Harry was looking at Molly Weasley as he said this and saw Arthur give her a kiss and stride forward. Molly had a look of horror on her face and started weeping quietly, one hand over her mouth. Arthur walked up to Harry and waited. Looking around one last time, lingering for a moment on Ginny, Harry ran out of the hall toward the final battle.


Meeting no resistance, Harry arrived at Myrtle’s toilet and ordered the Chamber opened. He peered down, then leapt into the darkness. Harry’s mind reached back to the last time he had been there; all he could think about was Ginny. Then he landed and rolled out of the way. A bolt of yellow light came his way and just missed Ginny, the second person down, as she slid into the passageway. Harry ducked and stunned the Death Eater who had stuck his head out too far while trying to see if he had hit anything. In a few minutes over a hundred people had slid down with more arriving ever few seconds. Harry noticed Snape organizing some of them, but he could not tell what he was saying or why. It did not matter. It was time. Harry ignored Ginny’s touch on his arm, focusing on what he had to do.

As Harry started off, Snape’s voice boomed out. “Potter! By your hand!”

Ron mumbled something about Snape’s parentage as Harry started moving again, leading the force down the narrow tunnel. It was the last humorous thing Harry would hear for a long time.

The battle Harry expected did not happen the way he expected. He had felt they might have to fight their way out of the tunnels, but no one was there. Fearing a trap, he stopped every minute to listen for sounds of Riddle or the remaining Death Eaters. Finally, he came to the end of the tunnel that led to the main chamber. His first thought was of Dumbledore, then his parents; he said a quick prayer for the courage he was about to need, and stepped into the Chamber with his wand ready.

Standing up straight, Harry walked forward as his fellow students and friends filed in around him. About a hundred meters away, on the other side of the Chamber, stood Riddle and the remaining enemy, all that stood between Harry and the peace everyone so desperately sought.

Riddle and Harry walked toward each other until they were just fifteen or twenty meters apart, each side’s supporters behind their leader. Riddle was shaking his head, then started to laugh again.

“Harry Potter, the boy who lived - now THE BOY WHO DIES!” And with that, both sides started battling; everyone except Harry and Riddle. Harry knew that people were dying around him, probably dozens, maybe a hundred. He saw in the corner of his eye Bill, Charlie, and Percy run after a group of Death Eaters that tried to escape. Then Ron, Hermione, and Neville ran the other way chasing another group. Harry felt like he was standing alone.

The explosive spells that had been used on Hagrid and Hermione were flying into the attackers, sometimes knocking a few down. Usually they bounced off shields that people were using, exploding in the air or against the chamber’s walls and ceiling.

And then, as suddenly as it started, it stopped. All the Death Eaters were dead or stunned. All except Riddle who still stood in front of Harry, smiling. Harry’s supporters, the few score remaining, started to file in around him so that he was standing at the vertex of a narrow “V”.

“Potter, you think I’m afraid of you, outnumbered a hundred to one?” Riddle merely looked to his right and two students fell dead, their bodies cut almost in two. Riddle laughed again but Harry stared him down. “This is it, Harry Potter. “Avada Kedavra” .

As the green light shot from Riddle’s wand, a young witch Harry had never met jumped out of the line and took the killing curse, falling dead. Harry gasped, but immediately refocused on Riddle.

“Avada Kedavra”. This time a second year Harry knew from the DA sacrificed his life. Harry was stunned again.

A third time: “Avada Kedavra”. Now a scruffy old wizard with far more agility than Harry thought possible, leapt into the beam and fell dead. Harry was lost, unable to move, watching these people die...for him?

“Avada Kedavra”. Another blast. This one was so close that Harry felt the heat wash over him. Riddle was no longer laughing, but still carried a confident look.

“Avada Kedavra”. Again.

“Avada Kedavra”. Again.

“Avada Kedavra”. “NOOO!” Harry screamed as Arthur Weasley jumped out. But another student was faster and took the hit, falling on Arthur and knocking him unconscious.

Harry heard more and more people filing in behind him. More deaths for Riddle. Harry finally realized what was happening and why Snape had given him the object he held in his pocket. But this is insane!

“Avada Kedavra”. Dennis Creevey lay dead and Ginny screamed, “No, Snape, let me go!” Ignoring the scream, Harry lowered his wand and prepared to step forward. He heard Snape’s voice behind him, speaking to Ginny, “Shhh, Ms. Weasley. It’s almost time.”

“Avada Kedavra”. Cho Chang lay dead, Harry cried out, tears he could not stop were filling his eyes. He heard Ginny sobbing behind him, giving him strength to go on, to protect her.

Harry knew this was the time to move, he could not stand to see anyone else die. Tearing his feet from the Chamber Floor, Harry forced himself to approach Riddle, wand at the ready. Riddle stopped casting spells, though still sneering, still arrogant. With lightning speed, Riddle lifted his wand to point at Harry’s chest, now only two meters away.

“Avada Kedavra”. The tip of Riddle’s wand shot the tell-tail green jet directly into Harry’s chest -- and it had no effect at all.

Harry thought he understood now why Snape had pulled him aside, but it was not until Riddle had thrown the killing curse that he was certain. He felt nothing at all. No burn, no pressure, and most importantly, no fear any longer. There was just one more thing for him to do. ...either must die at the hand of the other... Yes, he was certain. Riddle had grown so powerful that he could not be killed magically, Harry had to do it, and it had to be done by hand.

Riddle stepped back when the killing curse failed, but he threw another, then another, then, in rapid sequence, so many curses and hexes no one present could keep count. Harry was just centimeters away now and dropped his wand, when Riddle saw this Harry perceived fear in his face for the first time. In the next instant, Harry pulled the long curved blade that Snape had given him from his robe, but hesitated.

Can I kill a man by hand?

His answer was given to him when he heard Ginny pleading with Snape to release her.

Riddle lifted his wand behind his head and began to cast another spell, but Harry’s arm flew out, and in one lightning motion cut nearly all the way through Riddle’s neck. Blood shot out everywhere, covering Harry. The dark wizard’s wand, now in motion forward, touched Harry’s forehead, knocking him backwards. But whatever magic the wand had held mattered not; Riddle was dead before he hit the ground.

Harry stood frozen, along with the crowd of others, then collapsed to his knees; he was still conscious but could tell that something Riddle had done was causing him to black out. Pools of blood were everywhere, steaming in the cool air of the Chamber. Snape pushed Ginny aside, picked Harry up, and then told those still standing to retrieve the bodies of the dead and injured. Ginny was running beside Harry and Snape and she could tell something was terribly wrong with Harry but Snape was screaming for everyone to get to the back of the Chamber. He pulled out two daggers, one red and one blue, and instructed everyone to touch one of the Portkeys. “The red will take you to St. Mungo’s, the blue to the school’s north lawn.

The battle was finally over.


_____


Harry sat silent on the couch next to Ginny. Olga Windshine was holding his hand, tears in her eyes, also.

“Harry, that’s what you had hidden. When Voldemort’s wand touched your head he nearly did kill you. He had tried to start a memory transfer, but died before he succeeded. Those curses he threw right at the end? Some of them got through the shield your friends had provided you by their sacrifice.”

Harry bowed his head, the tears starting again. “They gave their life for me? That’s what Snape was telling them at the end. Oh my God, Ginny, that’s why Snape was holding you back.” And Harry completely broke down. It was like nothing he had ever experienced, it was a feeling of profound and utter sadness, far worse than Dumbledore or Sirius’ death. Ginny held him as best she could but Harry was shaking so badly Hermione was becoming concerned.

Olga then spoke to Ron, who had tears streaming down his face, “Harry will need a lot of help getting through this. You’re his best friend, I saw it in him. It will take a while, but soon he will be better.”

Looking at Ginny, Olga saw the sadness in her eyes. “Ginny, there is something you can do for Harry.” Olga touched her hands. “When Harry needs you, sit with him and hold him like you just did. If you like, I would be honored to help you learn other techniques, but for now, just holding Harry will be enough.” Ginny didn’t respond, but the overt hostility toward the Healer was no longer evident.

“I’m leaving two dreamless sleep Potions in case Harry has trouble sleeping. Don’t hesitate to use them, or to Floo me if something concerns you.” Standing and walking down the Hallway to the front door, Ron retrieved her coat and she bid them good day.

Snow had fallen while everyone was in the house and showed the well-defined foot prints leading back to Hogwarts as Olga Windshine departed.


_____


Harry had calmed down a short time later. Ron, Hermione, and Ginny all sat next to him as best they could on the small loveseat. After a few more minutes, Hermione fetched some chocolate and gave everyone a large piece. Harry had a few bites of his then gave the rest to Ron. Feeling better, he still had a few questions.

“Thanks for being here. So, you all knew what happened in the Chamber a while back?”

“No, Harry, I was the only one here who knew the whole story. Ron and Hermione had left with Neville to capture Bellatrix Lestrange and a couple other Death Eaters.”

“Yeah, Harry. Fred and George told Hermione and me when I was in the hospital. Sorry, mate, it just sounded too shocking to tell you what had happened. Especially with Cho.”

Ronald, you prat, leave her out of this.” Hermione pushed Ron off the edge of the loveseat where he had been sitting.

“It’s ok, Hermione, she was just one of many.” Harry’s voice drifted off and his eyes started watering again. They sat silently on the loveseat, except Ron, who had made himself comfortable on the Floor, leaning against Hermione’s leg.

Following a few minutes of silence, Ron tried to lighten things up. "Say, Harry. What did Olga mean when she said ‘Harry and Ginny can tell you later?’”

RONALD! Shut up!

“What? What did I say?”

Ginny saw a row coming on and tried to think of a diversion, but she was spared by a timely knock on the front door. “Ron, go answer the door.” Hermione told him crossly. In a few seconds they all heard the voice of Remus Lupin speaking with Ron.

“We’re in here, Moony” Hermione called out. “but please leave Ron out front.”

Remus laughed as he came down the hallway, Ron trailing behind with a sour look on his face.

“Hello! I just had an interesting conversation with Mad-Eye. Something about Harry’s memories of the last battle.” Seeing Hermione and Ginny’s serious looks, and Harry’s red eyes, Remus easily made the connection. “Ah, I see Harry’s already been told.”

“Not told, Remus, that lady from St. Mungo’s, Olga Windsock, or whatever her name is, removed some curses remaining up here,” Ginny tapped Harry’s head, “and it let Harry remember everything.”

“I see,” kneeling on one knee in front of Harry, Remus asked, “Harry, how you doing, son?”

Harry nodded. “Ok, better now that I’ve had some time to think about it. Did I see everything or are there more things buried?”

“Harry, you and I were the only ones here who saw the same thing.” Ginny then went on to walk Harry through everything she remembered, but without the details which she intentionally omitted.

“Thanks, Gin. That’s pretty much what I saw. I do have a couple questions.” Turning to Remus, “Where was Snape at the start of the battle? The first time I saw him that day he was in the Great Hall giving me the knife.” At the word “knife,” Harry’s voice faltered.

“Harry, it took some time for me to get Snape to tell me what happened. I confronted him one day, oh, about a month after the battle, up in McGonagall’s office. I think with Minerva’s pressure he felt he had to explain himself.” All eyes were on Remus as he told a part of the story that none of them had heard.

“Snape was talking with Dumbledore, or rather, with Dumbledore’s portrait.”

WHAT?” All four of them said together, then Harry continued, “McGonagall said Dumbledore didn’t want a portrait.”

“Yes, I knew about that. But there was a very good reason that little piece of disinformation was spread around. The portrait was delivered to Minerva about two months after Albus died. His actual instructions were that Minerva be certain she was the first person to see it animated. When she first had that opportunity, about a week after it’s delivery, Albus made her, Snape, and Flitwick swear and unbreakable vow that you, Harry, would never know it’s existence. In accepting this vow, they had also knowingly sealed the knowledge from everyone else.”

“Why?” Ron asked, sitting on the sofa.

Hermione looked at Ron. “Honestly, Ron, didn’t you take any logic or probability classes? They knew that every additional person who knew the secret would increase the likelihood of it eventually leaking out to everyone. Having three people knowing about the portrait was a risk itself, but they needed three for the vow to bind.”

“So what was the reason?” Harry asked sourly to Remus, expecting an evasive answer.

“Simply this, Harry. Albus wanted you to develop your skills without his influence. He had already made some serious mistakes, which I know he’s told you about. His plan was to make the portrait known after you defeated Voldemort. And Harry, Albus never thought you couldn’t defeat him, he simply did not want to distract you.”

Harry thought about this for a while, then went back to the original subject. “Ok, so where does Snape fit in?”

“Snape had an indication, early on the day of the last battle, that something was about to happen. I don’t know what that tip was, but he immediately found Minerva and consulted with Albus. Up until that day we had been quite sure that the attack was going to take place at Hogwarts and we had been led to believe it would happen on Leaver’s day. Apparently something changed, or maybe Voldemort was following a whim, perhaps they figured there would be less opposition if they chose a Hogsmeade weekend, but I don’t think we’ll ever know.”

“This put us in a bad position. Minerva sent out the alarm and did something extraordinary, she removed the apparition wards from Hogwarts so everyone could get here faster. After the Order members and Aurors had gathered in the Great Hall she reestablished them, just in time, it seems. This was about ten in the morning as the first group of students was heading to Hogsmeade. While Snape was consulting with Albus, and Minerva was issuing the alert, everyone forgot to get the students out of danger.”

“Harry, and the rest of you,” Lupin made certain they all heard this. “It’s important that your know how this lapse affected Severus and Minerva. After the attack was over and the situation stabilized, Snape disappeared for a few weeks and there was speculation he had taken his own life. I thought so myself. Minerva went into a deep depression and resigned, I know she seems happy now, but she was devastated by her mistake. I’m sure she will carry that with her the rest of her life.”

Lupin paused for a minute, then walked to get a drink from the kitchen. The others sat silently with there thoughts.

“Albus and Snape had debated for many months about how Harry would destroy Voldemort. It was not a heated debate, but they had so many things to consider. Ultimately they decided that two pieces of evidence would force Harry to kill Voldemort by hand. The first, which you probably know, was the prophecy. ‘either must die at the hand of the other.” They took this to mean, literally, that magic would not work against the other; a fatal injury to one or the other...or both, would be necessary.”

“The second piece of evidence was the knife Harry used. That knife belonged to Salazar Slytherin himself, but Albus had been in possession of the knife for over a hundred years. About three years ago Albus noticed a dramatic increase of interest in Slytherin artifacts. Most of this he attributed to Voldemort’s return. However, he noticed an inordinate amount of interest in a knife with a description exactly like the one he owned. He and Snape talked about this and came to the conclusion that the knife was being sought after by Voldemort, and if he wanted it so badly, why? I believe that’s when they realized the knife’s role.”

“The morning of the attack, Dumbledore told Snape where the knife was located. It took Snape almost an hour to find it and get back to Hogwarts. By that time the attacks had started and that idiot Umbridge had ordered the students out of the school to help fight the Death Eaters. Of course, she didn’t follow them. The results were near disaster. With the extra five hundred people to protect we were forced to ‘circle the wagons’ around the students and give up our strong defensive positions within the castle. Umbridge hasn’t been seen since then, but I hope it’s me that finds her.”

Remus’ story had been going on now for a half hour but everyone’s attention was glued to the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.

“Albus gave Snape one other set of instructions, even though the battle was now raging below. Snape was told that Harry would probably not be able to use the knife unless he was enraged by Voldemort. Also, Harry had to be told that magic would not work against Voldemort, a key piece of information that we were sure Voldemort himself was unaware of. And this is where Harry’s memory picks up, if I recall correctly. Harry?”

“Yeah, Remus. I saw Snape in the Great Hall as I was about to go into the Chamber. I told him I wasn’t going to use the knife but he forced me to keep it with me, ‘just in case.’ He was trying to tell me about the prophecy but I wasn’t listening. I guess when I saw what was happening at the end of the battle, with all those people giving their life for me, I did what Dumbledore thought I would do.” Harry hung his head down again.

“Remember, Harry, Snape and Dumbledore were not certain the knife was the way to go. They had a lot of confidence, but Snape insisted that they have another plan in case you couldn’t use the knife. That’s what all those people were part of, Snape’s backup plan. While you were organizing the assault into the Chamber, Snape told the group staying behind about what might be needed. Although it didn’t work out as he planned, the deaths of those people did enraged you to the point where you could attack with the knife.”

“Harry, we’ll probably never know what effect those deaths had on you, but their sacrifices were probably what moved you to use the knife. Am I right?”

Harry didn’t move, but answered quietly. “Yes. I think it was just their deaths that pushed me into what I did. Either way, Riddle’s dead. I guess that’s something.”


_____


Remus and Ginny walked back to Hogwarts with Harry after they all had lunch. Harry was quiet but not as depressed and he had been when he first saw the memory; and he was viewing the south lawn completely differently now, knowing what had happened there.

Approaching the building, Ginny realized that there was still one big unanswered question. “Remus, what happened to Dumbledore’s portrait?”

Harry was shocked, he had not thought of that and he waited anxiously for Remus’ reply.

“The painting, along with most of the other Headmaster portraits, was badly damaged when the Chamber collapsed. Alastor has the remains of it, I believe. Do you want to go check?”

“No, not now, Remus. Thanks. I think I’ll go lay down for a while.”

Giving Ginny a quick kiss, and embracing Remus, Harry headed off to his room.

After Harry disappeared around a corner, Remus suggested, “Ginny, why don’t you go with Harry, he could probably use you now. I’ll send Dobby up later with dinner if you two want to eat alone.”

Surprised, Ginny hugged Remus, kissed his cheek, and ran off after Harry.