Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and The Story In The Runes by IHateSnakes

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Harry Potter and The Story In The Runes
Based on the Harry Potter Series By J. K. Rowling

Chapter 28 “ More Changes

Please Read & Review, it makes for better stories!




“I’ll miss you.”

“I’ll miss you more.”

“Shut up, Ron. At least you get to travel while I’m stuck in the ‘White Cliffs of Dover’ reading about Merlin’s bathing habits.” Seeing the hurt look on Ron’s face, Hermione apologized. “I’m sorry, that wasn’t very kind of me.”

“No worries, just kiss me good bye again. Mmmm. That’s better. Gotta run now, let me know how Harry’s doing, ok?”

Ron stepped out of the front door and prepared to Apparate to Chudley for a two week camp, most of which would be spent in Salem, Massachusetts, and Melbourne, Australia. Looking at Hermione standing in the door with an expression somewhere between unhappy and annoyed, Ron mouthed, “I love you” one more time, then disappeared.

Hermione closed the door and ran to the parlor sofa where she could warm her feet by the fire. I hate it when Ron has to leave early. The orange and yellow flames of the fire enchanted her as they danced across the logs. Soon she found herself losing a battle against her two heavy eyelids and drifted off to sleep.

Squeak-Clank, Squeak-Clank Two hours later Hermione woke to the sound of the front door knocker. Jumping up, she wrapped her robe around herself in preparation for the icy wind that would fly through the door when opened. Looking out the kitchen window she saw that her guest was Ginny, she was stamping her feet to stay warm as the wind whipped snow all around her. Running to the door, Hermione opened it and quickly dragged Ginny into the house.

“Hi Gin! What brings you into town this early on a Sunday? Did you need Ron? He left for Camp a couple hours ago.”

Shaking the snow out of her hair and rubbing her arms to warm up, Ginny smiled at Hermione’s outfit. “No, just visiting...don’t you look like the original housewife now?”

“Oh, right, very funny. Married two weeks and I’m over the hill.” Laughing, the girls headed back to the warmth of the parlor where Hermione put more logs on the fire.

“How’s Harry feeling today, or haven’t you seen him?” asked Hermione, sitting down and curling her legs under herself to stay warm.

“Ok, I guess. He had a couple rough spots yesterday afternoon and I made him take a Potion last night. He woke once, but just to visit the loo. He said he was hungry this morning, I guess that’s a good sign.” Ginny started fiddling with an earring that refused to stay on.

Hermione was watching Ginny struggle and started laughing. “Here, let me help you.” Between the two of them they managed to break the earring’s stem, so Ginny gave up and took the other one off. Returning to the sofa, Hermione watched Ginny for a while. She seemed unusually serene. Feeling relieved that Harry seemed to be coping, Hermione turned her attention back to Ginny and asked. “Gin, you’re acting different this morning. What’s up?”

“Different, how so?”

“You just seem really calm. You were so upset yesterday; it just surprises me, that’s all.”

“Oh, I wasn’t that upset.” Ginny did not pull the fib off very well, but it did not matter, Hermione already knew the truth. “Not upset? When you and Olga went into the den I bet you used a silencing charm, didn’t you?”

Ginny’s face had a puzzled expression. “Well, yes, but why…how did you know?”

“Did you use ‘Silencio’?” Seeing Ginny nod her head “yes,” Hermione told her a little secret. “Gin, ‘Silencio’’ doesn’t work in other people’s houses, that’s one of the little things they don’t teach students here. Ron, Harry, and I were out here listening to you chew-out Olga. You did a good job, too”

Both girls laughed and then spent the next hour sipping hot chocolate and talking about school and wedding plans. Finally, Ginny started to get up, claiming she had to head back to school to catch up on some work. As she was about to leave the house Hermione stepped in front of the door. “You and Harry can come by for dinner, if you like. It won’t be anything exciting, but I could use the company.”

“Um, I don’t think it will work tonight, Hermione. Harry has to meet with Moody about this week’s lessons and finish bringing Remus up to date on the students’ progress. How about another time?”

“Ok, sure. I might see you later; I have to meet with Moody about something I was working on for Snape. Well, bye, thanks for stopping in.”

An hour later Hermione started out for Hogwarts to speak with Mad-eye. Passing the Blueberry Inn, she stopped in to say hello to Katie.


_____


Monday morning found Hermione back in Dover, meeting with Keric Albemarle and Patty Lee in a small conference room. She arrived early to tell Patty about the honeymoon and married life; neither noticed Keric when he walked in the door at eight o’clock sharp.

“Well, Mrs. Weasley, welcome back. Good morning, Patty. Ready for some interesting work now?” Keric knew that the work both had been doing prior to Christmas was boring, but he had made it so intentionally. To the surprise of Hermione and Patty, Keric closed the conference room door and cast a silencing charm. “Hermione, I’ve told Patty about the work you were doing for Severus Snape and she’ll be working with you three days a week. I have hired two more full time positions back in London and I’ll be working with them to ensure your regular work is covered. Hermione, did you speak with Alastor Moody yesterday?”

“Yes, he brought me up to speed on the events of the last few weeks, including the disappearance of Fudge and Tumult. He also told me I’d be working here full-time, per your request.”

“Excellent. Did he mention to you about a copy of a document I translated a number of years ago for…a friend?”

“Yes sir.”

“Wonderful. Patty, I want you and Hermione to look at this translation and study it carefully. Alastor Moody believes that this is what got Tumult and Fudge in trouble, so all notes, translations, and documents directly related to this one are classified. Absolutely no one other than the three of us and Alastor sees or hears anything about this. Do you both understand?” Patty and Hermione nodded “yes” at the gravity of Keric’s comments.

“Very well. Here are my notes on the translation, including the keys used, and a copy of the original parchment. When you think you’re familiar with the patterns I’ll give you some additional documents to work on.” Albemarle set a thick folder and two notebooks on the table, they looked old and worn.

“Keric?” Hermione asked before Albemarle left the room. “These documents you’re going to give us. Hasn’t anyone worked with them before?”

“Certainly, but no one else had the keys; that’s my little contribution to this effort. Good luck, I’ll stop by this afternoon but don’t hesitate to call if you have a problem.” Albemarle left the room and Hermione recast the silencing charm.

“Well, Patty, let’s see what this is about.” Hermione pulled her chair over, next to Patty, and started looking at Keric’s notes about the keys used. It did not take long for both of them to groan at the complexity of the ciphers.


_____


“Snape, how long are we going to keep this up?” Percy wined after their third game at roulette. “It seems like we’ve been doing this for months.”

“Yes, but we are making progress. You last statement proves that; you now have a consistent feel for the passage of time, and your frustration is something new, also. Let’s try something different.” Snape thought for a while as Percy waited.

“Percy, tell me about Peter, and please call me Severus. If we’re going to be stuck here we should at least try to be civil.” Snape thought he sensed humor in Percy, another change.

Percy told Snape everything he knew about Peter, which was not much, then started relating how he was sharing The Story In The Runes with him.

“Percy, wait.” Snape thought for a moment and then asked, “Percy, is this the memory you were sharing with Peter when you were hit?”

“Yes, I believe so.”

“Interesting.” Snape paused again and tried to recall some of his knowledge about The Story, but it was too long ago for him to remember any details.

“Percy, I would like you to try something. I have no idea if this will work but it might answer some questions either way. I want you to transfer your memory of The Story to me.”

“How? I don’t have a wand. I don’t even have a body.”

“I’m hoping that you don’t really need a wand, and you do have a body, just no control over it. Since out minds seem to be intermingled in some way, you may not have to do anything other that consciously desire it to happen.”

“Ok, I guess it’s worth a try. What part of the story do you want to see?”

“Can you show me what you were showing Peter when you were attacked?”

“I don’t know if I can recall exactly where I was. Let me think.” Percy tried to recall the sequence of The Story. Once he had that established, he worked through each part until he could not remember showing Peter the section. “Ok, Snape, uh, Severus, I have it. I was about to show him story number 5. Ready to try?”

“Very well, if nothing else, this should be an interesting experiment.”

And it was.


_____


Peter was hoping that his eyes were deceiving him and that this person really was Percy. He slowly approached the hooded man, stopping every couple meters and tried to see if he could recognize the person, but the closer he came to the figure the more he realized the apparition was not completely there. The man would fade in and out; sometimes appearing like a normal person, other times like a faint ghost. Except for a small hand movement, the visitor made no other movement before he disappeared.

Merlin remained behind, watching the interaction between Peter and the specter. When the figure finally disappeared Peter returned asking if Merlin knew anything about what he had just seen.

“Peter, that was something I have never seen before, but I have an idea what it may be. Let me tell you more of the story, it may help.”

Peter groaned, “Not more. Ok, ok, let me get comfortable.”


_____


“Excuse me, Director, I wanted to give you an update on the Weasley/Martin case before we finish.”

The daily staff meeting was almost over and few of the staff Healers were interested in extending the meeting. Olga Windshine smiled at the seven men and nine women around the table. “Certainly, but we don’t need to keep everyone else. You may go.” When everyone was gone except Windshine and Percy’s Healer, Olga nodded.

“Three hours ago we witnessed another change in Weasley and Martin. Peter still appears the stronger of the two but Percy is improving rapidly. There is still no recognition, but reflexes are showing signs of returning; pupils are just beginning to show reaction to light; heart and respiration stand at about forty percent of normal for Percy and about seventy-five percent for Peter.”

“Is this a continuation of the earlier improvement or something else?”

“Definitely something else, Olga, similar in pattern to the first improvement but stronger. Let’s hope this continues.”

“Yes, please keep me posted. If Peter recovers we will need to bring his parents in again and I will have to get approval.”


_____


“Are you all right, Severus?”

“Yes, I think so.”

“Did you see anything?”

“Yes, I believe I saw your young friend, Peter, but I could not communicate with him. I was not completely there, I was more like a ghost. He couldn’t understand my words, I tried to speak but didn’t have enough control to move your mouth. This is very unusual.”

“Well, it sounds like a good start. We got further that you expected, didn’t we?”

“Yes, but there is something odd about this. If I was viewing your memory why could Peter see me?”

Snape thought for a while then decided to continue the exercises. “Ok, Percy, another game, but this time let’s see if we can do something requiring movement.”


_____


“Harry, come quickly!” Remus had stuck his head into Harry’s office as he issued the brief summons. “Moody wants to see us immediately.” Dropping the paper he was grading, Harry jumped up and followed Remus.

“Any idea what this is about?” Harry asked, trying to keep up with Lupin’s fast pace.

“None, but Moody looked more confused than angry, so we probably don’t have to worry about our jobs.” Remus smiled before leaving the office.

Harry was having a wonderful time working with Lupin, as he expected he would. Completely comfortable in each other’s presence, they made an excellent team, whether teaching together or individually. They thought the same way and both were comfortable teaching any level, whether the student was first or seventh year. Harry especially liked that, it gave him more chances to see Ginny during the week.

On the other hand, Harry saw that Mad-Eye was having a difficult time as the Headmaster, and he didn’t expect him to be approved by the school board. Remus agreed. Moody was not particularly concerned by this; he never wanted the Headmaster position, and even returning to the Defense job was something you didn’t bring up unless you wanted to be chewed out. Besides, Harry thought, he had been talking of retirement since November.

Arriving at Moody’s office was different than arriving at Snape’s, McGonagall’s, or even Dumbledore’s. The first thing you noticed was that his door was almost always open. Moody called it an “Open Door Policy” and hoped it would encourage more direct communications with the staff and students. In the first week Harry thought it was working quite well; among the students and staff alike Harry had heard positive comments.

“Come in you two, Harry, please close the door. Remus would you throw a couple of those old silencing charms the Order used, please.” Remus drew his wand and cast two spells Harry had never heard before. Off his look, Remus told Harry he would teach them when they had some time together.

“Ok, Harry, Remus, it looks like whatever happened on 9/19 has happened again, or started up again, I don’t know which.” Harry immediately looked at Lupin, as did Moody. Remus was leaning forward, obviously waiting to hear what manifestations this event would exhibit.

“Remus, I’m sure it will be ok.” Harry tried to reassure his friend. “Mad-Eye, I mean, Headmaster, are there and indications of things reversing, you know, like...”

“No Harry, and stop calling me ‘Headmaster.’ Remus, someone’s at the door. Blast, I forgot I told Longbottom to join us.” Remus got up and unlocked the door, letting Neville into the room.

Harry greeted Neville, who was quite dirty and looked like he had just taught a class. “Mad-Eye, how did you know Neville was there?” Harry asked.

“Have Lupin teach you the charm, it’s handy when you don’t want to answer the door.” Shuffling around at his desk, Moody looked uncomfortable for a moment then made a statement. “Look you three, if I’m not relieved before then, I’m retiring at the end of this year.” Neville was the only one who showed much surprise. Mad-Eye looked directly at Harry and barked out, “Not much of a shock to you, Potter? Didn’t think I could do the job, eh?”

Harry laughed. Over the past five months he’d learned to tell when Moody was joking. Neville looked petrified at Harry’s laughter so Harry filled him in on his secret. “Look, Neville, whenever Moody is joking, or lying, his magical eye spins to the back.”

Moody laughed. “Yeah, that may well be. It never happened before that arse Crouch used it.” Everyone had a laugh with Moody before they returned to business.

“All right. Remus, I haven’t heard anything about Werewolves, but there are some serious things happening. First, spell effectiveness is fluctuating again, so warn all your students. Second, invisibility spells are failing, but not across the board, only here and there. I’ve already had the school checked so were safe here. Third, there is some sort of...something affecting magical plants. Longbottom, fill us in on what you discovered.”

“Yes, sir. I mean, Alastor.”

Don’t call me that! It’s Mad-Eye or Moody.

“S-s-sorry, Moody. Professor Sprout and I discovered that all our mandrakes had died overnight. This doesn’t directly affect us, we can use other plants for class. The only other flora we found dead was a small box of gillyweed Professor Sprout had in her apartment. That’s all, Moody.”

“The merpeople here have all died, do you think it’s related?” Harry asked Moody.

“How the blazes should I know, Harry? Snape never told us anything when he was around, but yeah, they’re probably related. Ok, the last thing that’s been reported may be left over from 9/19 but just taken this long to be recognized. It looks like the registration of newborn wizards and witches has fallen...dramatically.” Moody remained hunched over his notes, but looked up at Harry, Remus, and Neville.

“Uh, Moody, how much of a drop?” Remus asked.

“Well, roughly twenty-five percent.” Moody had to stop for a moment as all three of his guests started asking questions. “Be quiet. Yeah, good news, but here’s one other possible clue, this last event appears to have begun last April, about the time of the final battle. It may be a coincidence, only time will let us in on its secret.”

For the next few minutes the four sat around brainstorming ideas until they heard a knock on one of Moody’s windows. Neville jumped up and opened the window so a tan owl could enter. She flew across the room and landed on Lupin’s knee, holding out a claw with a message. Remus removed the letter and after the owl flew off he opened it.

Remus, please come home as soon as you can, there are Muggles all over our yard. Tonks

Moody told Remus and Harry to go to Grimmauld place right away and dismissed Neville; then he looked at a report he had requested weeks ago about the wizards and witches affected by the 9/19 events. The report showed him what he and Harry had suspected. Almost every person or every spell thread affected was somehow related to Slytherin “ at first “ now it was across the four houses.


_____


Harry and Remus Floo’d to Ron & Hermione’s house then Apparated directly to 12 Grimmauld Place. Tonks was holding a sleeping James and pointed to a window with a nod of her head. Looking outside, Harry and Remus saw people all over the yard, as many as thirty of them. A Muggle fire truck was parked out front as were three official looking cars with yellow lights flashing.

“They started knocking a few minutes ago, Remus. I yelled for them to go away but they keep coming back.” Tonks was obviously worried and her hair had turned pea green.

“Ok, dear. Go upstairs and pack everything you can as quickly as you can. Harry, please help; I’ll see if I can talk to them.” As Tonks and Harry ran up the stairs Remus went to the front door. He could see at least two figures, distorted through the glass in the door. Looking for a distraction, Remus threw a stink spell just outside the door and listened as the people gathering around the front of the house dispersed. Then dispelling the odor, Remus stepped out on to the front porch.

“Can I help you people?” Remus asked the Muggles.

A man standing far away, near the front gate, yelled back. “Yes, you can tell us where this bloody house came from. It wasn’t here yesterday.”

Remus couldn’t resist teasing the man with his reply. Looking back over each shoulder to the house, then back again to the man, Remus asked, “What do you mean it wasn’t here. It’s been here for ages. What have you been drinking?” Remus chuckle. The man shut up but a middle-aged woman didn’t. “I say it wasn’t here, too, and I’ve lived there,” She pointed to the house next to Lupin’s, “for twenty-two years.”

But Remus didn’t want to stop yet. “Well my good lady. You have me beat, I’ve only been here for two years, it was left to me in a will by” Here Remus almost slipped up, if he had said “Black.” The Muggle police might have been able to make a connection between him and Sirius, who was still wanted in the Muggle world. “...by a good friend of mine. I’ve been in and out of this house every day for over a year.”

Remus went back and forth with this lady and a few others until an officer approached and started asking more difficult questions, like who holds the mortgage and who is the insurer. Simply trying to buy more time for Harry and Tonks, Remus was quickly running out of options. Excusing himself from the crowd, which had quickly swarmed to nearly than two hundred, under the pretense of looking for some documents Remus went back in and locked the door, mechanically, and magically.

Remus was not surprised to see Arthur Weasley appear on the steps, with others from his office, all carrying things. “Remus, we have to get you all out of here as soon as possible. The invisibility spells on this house are gone and we cannot re-engage them.”

“Ok, Arthur, can you take our things to my room at Hogwarts? Tonks and I will figure things out from there.”

“Remus, there really isn’t anything to ‘figure out’ with the house. When everything is out we will have to burn it down, completely.

The next day Harry covered for Remus while he and Tonks looked for a new place. There were no surprise spells as there had been after 9/19, but all the teachers were being far more careful, too. In fact, the only first-hand experience Harry had with any new changes was Grimmauld place. Arthur Weasley had burned it to the ground late the night before, much to the frustration of the fire brigade; Arthur had cast a water repelling spell, and in spite of all their efforts, the fire burned until nothing remained.


_____


Very late Tuesday evening, in the Gryffindor common room, Rudy, Carol, Lisa, and Brian sat on the Floor near the large fireplace finishing up the last of their transfiguration homework. The snow that had started falling Saturday had continued and the school grounds were covered in a half-meter thick blanket. The four first years decided to play in the drifts before doing their homework and they were paying for their play time now. As usual, Rudy needed help so Lisa worked with him while Carol and Brian argued over a game Brian was trying to have them play.

“Yes it will, I tried it. And Jade Kafee showed me, too.”

“Brian, I can’t believe you tried one of her spells. All those idiots in Slytherin ever do is sell you candy that tastes like dung and spells that backfire. That dumb thing will never work.”

“Will too!”

“Will not!”

“I’ll prove it. Watch.” Reaching into his pocket, Brian pulled out a bag of Bertie Bott’s Every Flavoured Jelly Beans. Opening it, he took a blue one out and set it on a table. When Brian went for his wand, Carol ran to hide behind a sofa with Rudy and Lisa. Brian was laughing at them and then said, “Omnis Coloro.” Everyone heard a soft “Puff.” Carol peaked around the side of the sofa and saw Brian picking up a yellow jelly bean. He tasted it and made a face.

“Well, did it work?” Rudy asked.

YES! Brian yelled. “Excellent!”

“Oh, please you guys, go to bed. Rudy, what are you all doing up so late.”

Rudy, Carol, Lisa, and Brian froze in their spots and had a look of horror on their faces. They had all heard the voice but saw nothing. Rudy thought the voice was familiar. “Ginny, is that you?”

“Of course it’s me Rudy…oh, sorry.” Suddenly Ginny appeared to the other four students. She was carrying books in one arm and the other was holding a shimmering silver cloak; she looked exhausted. “I’m sorry, guys. I forgot I was wearing this.” Ginny dropped her books on a chair then sat on the Floor next to them. Rudy walked over and pushed Harry’s invisibility cloak with his toe.

“Blimey, sis, what’s that?” Rudy said exactly what the other kids were thinking.

“It’s called an invisibility cloak, it’s Harry’s. I fell asleep in his room and he let me use it so Filch wouldn’t catch me.”

Rudy’s eyes were wide open with amazement. “Wow, you get to sleep in Harry’s room?”

No, Rudy! I just fell asleep there tonight. Harry was helping me with a charms essay.”

“Sure, studying charms, I’ll bet they were practicing charms on each other.” Brian whispered to Carol. The next thing Brian knew he was doubled over on the Floor.

“Watch your mouth, Whittle, I don’t know how you were ever sorted into Gryffindor, you’re as sleazy as the Slytherins.” Carol looked like she was thinking about hitting him again, but she just walked over to Rudy and Lisa. “Sorry, Ginny, he can be such a prat.”

“Don’t worry. So, why are you guys up this late on a school night?”

Rudy told Ginny about their poor decision making after dinner while Brian caught his breath and rejoined the other first years. “And I’m making up a game, wanna play? It’s a quick game.”

“Oh sure, why not. Then you all get to bed.” Ginny crawled to her feet. “So, what do we do?”

Brian was delighted to find someone interested in trying the game. “Ok, I take one Jelly Bean and place it on the table. Everyone puts their wand away. On the count of three, we all draw our wands and cast the spell on the Bean. The first one to hit it gets to choose who eats it.” Brian was beaming about his “game.”

“So, Brian, maybe you should show us this spell?” Ginny suggested.

“Oh, yeah. The spell is “Omnis Coloro.”

“Ok, what flavour will it change the bean to?”

“Um, I haven’t figured that out yet, but it does always change it.”

“Yes, Brian, but you had to buy that stupid spell from Jade Kafee. It’s probably a delayed-action hex.” Carol was still hesitant to fool with the spell.

“No, Carol, it’s ok. You’ll learn ‘Omnis Coloro’ in your second year. Ok, one round then I’m going to bed.”

Everyone moved around the table while Brian took a green spotted bean out and set it on a plate. “Ok, everyone ready?” Looking at the other four players, Brian started counting. “One, two, three.”

PUFF The bean had changed to brown and moved toward Lisa indicating her spell had been cast first. Picking it up and eyeing it closely, she turned to Rudy and gave it to him. Rudy took the bean and gave Lisa a nasty stare. When he put it between his teeth and cringed, everyone laughed.

“Hey, chocolate marshmallow! Wicked! Let’s do it again.”

In the second round Ginny won and made Brian eat a sickly green jelly bean. When he bit into it he told them, “Green apple, at least I think that’s what it was.”

Round three went to Lisa again and she again chose Rudy to eat a bright yellow one. “Lemon!” Rudy said cheerfully, then his mouth puckered up and he added, “but very sour.”

Round four went to Brian. He gave the tan bean to Ginny who gave him an evil stare in return. “Hmmm, I think it’s butterscotch pudding.”

After a few more minutes everyone had won at least once except Rudy, but he had a determined look on his face. Brian called out: “One, two, three!”

BANG

Everyone was thrown on their rear and the room instantly filled with a cloud of red smoke. Ginny climbed up, using a chair to help support her, asking, “Is everyone ok?” One by one the other four students answered that they were fine, but the common room was filled with a thick red smoke. Fortunately it wasn’t noxious, but it was hard to see anything. Ginny felt her way to a window; throwing it open she cast a spell to blow the air out and the room slowly cleared.

A few students came running down the stairs to see what had happened. As they entered the common room most could be heard exclaiming one form of a blessed expletive or another; a few were laughing. With the smoke quickly clearing out, Ginny saw the reason for the various comments. Every inch of the common room had been turned red. Reaching over to a table, Ginny ran her finger across the surface in the hope the color was due to a fine powder. It was not.

WHAT’S GOING ON IN HERE?” Everyone turned to the common room door and saw Professor Gerrianne standing in her gold robe and red slippers. Her face was almost as red as everything else in the room. Then there was the sound of footsteps running behind Gerrianne and Harry appeared behind her. The Gryffindor house head turned to Harry, “Thank you for your concern, Harry, but I’ll take it from here.”

Harry acknowledged Gerrianne and started to leave the room, then looked back at Ginny. His face held an expression of astonishment. “Ginny?” He ventured.

“Yes, Harry, what’s wrong? Who else would I be.” Harry blinked, then snorted, whispering something into Gerrianne’s ear. An evil smile came across the witches face as she appeared to thank Harry. Waving good bye to Ginny, Harry turned and left.

“You five, come here.” Gerrianne had calmed down a bit, in fact she almost looked amused. Neither Ginny nor the other four understood her reaction.

“I don’t want to know, so don’t tell me. You four,” Pointing to Rudy, Lisa, Carol, and Brian, “Detention for the rest of the week. Your parents will be notified about this and will be expected to reimburse the school for damages. Get to your beds, IMMEDIATELY!” Watching the four first years walk over to gather their books then go to their dorms, Ginny was wondering what fate would befall her.

“Ms. Weasley, follow me.” Gerrianne led Ginny out of the common room and to her private quarters. “Sit, no, don’t sit. Stand.” The contradiction of orders made Ginny realize that she probably had the red coloring all over her and Gerrianne didn’t want it to ruin the furniture.

“Ms. Weasley, what happened?” It only took Ginny a couple minutes to explain the game. She had left out her reason for being awake at that hour.

“First, I expect you and the other upperclassmen to set examples and use your heads. The next time you see a group of firsties up at this hour you will chase them to bed. Do you understand me?” Ginny was barely able to squeak out “yes.”

“Second, what caused the explosion?” Ginny retold Gerrianne about the game but still didn’t know what had caused the mess. Then she remembered how Carol told Brian not to buy spells from Slytherin, but she felt it beneath herself to try and lay blame elsewhere.

“Very well, by the look on all your faces I could tell this was an accident. I’ll allow one this year, don’t let it happen again.” Ginny was barely able to apologize.

“Finally, Ms. Weasley, I want your word that you will have Rudy, Lisa, Carol, and Brian at breakfast tomorrow morning at eight o’clock sharp. No excuses. Do you understand me? Oh, and you also have detention the remainder of the week. Now get back to bed.”

Walking back to the dorms, Ginny accepted the punishment, but she had no idea why she was responsible for having the other kids at breakfast. Gathering her red-stained books and Harry’s cloak, now colored red, also, Ginny headed up to her dorm. Having set her books on the bed, she went to the loo and for the first time realized why Gerrianne had told her to bring the other four kids to breakfast.

At eight o’clock sharp, five students with every part of their exposed body colored bright red, walked sullenly into the Great Hall for breakfast. The hall rang with laughter for ten minutes. Harry excused himself early and walked over to Ginny near the end of breakfast, saying hello and slipping a piece of paper to her. After he left, Ginny read the note:

Grapefruit juice will remove the stain. I asked Dobby to deliver some to you and the others. Harry


_____


“Well, Harry, did you have your little fun with Ginny this morning?”

“Cut it out, Remus, I tried to get Gerrianne to let them use it last night, but she thought this was better. Still, it was a sight.” Laughing, both Remus and Harry hoped all the stain would come off their skin easily.

“Look, Harry. Instead of talking about classes this morning I want to, er, talk to you about something that, well, um, I think we need to talk about.” The serious look on Lupin’s face surprised Harry, but whenever an adult brought up “talking” the way Remus did, it meant something to do with either money or sex.

“Harry, are you and Ginny, um, I mean, is Ginny spending the night with you?”

WHAT? Of course not. What gave you that idea?

“Ok, Harry. Um, it’s not like I don’t want you, I mean, just don’t get caught. You’ll lose your job and Ginny will be expelled.”

“Remus, we’re not, um, you know...” Now it was Harry’s turn to be tongue-tied, “We didn’t do that. Sometimes she just falls asleep with me. REALLY!”

“Harry, it’s ok. I’m not your father. I’ll say nothing else about the subject. Have you given any more thought to that Easter vacation I spoke about?”

“Sure, it sounds great, but Ginny won’t be there...I don’t care how good you are, Remus, we both know Molly would never allow it.” Harry just stared at Remus.

“Hmmm. Ok, if she won’t let you two go alone, how about a chaperone taking you?”

”What? Who?” Not that Harry really wanted someone hanging around with Ginny and he.

“How about Ron and Hermione?” Remus suggested.

“Impossible. Ron has games all through March and April, and Hermione’s already used her vacation for the entire year. Just forget it, Remus. I mean, thanks, but maybe next year.”

“Alright, Harry.” Remus thought for a moment. “Harry, why don’t you and Ginny go out on a date?”

“What? We do stuff all the time.”

“I know, but try doing something with just the two of you. Take her to London, go to a show. You two certainly love each other, but you never really dated, and it’s an important part of growing together in love. Killing Voldemort isn’t why Ginny loves you, it’s because you are you. Just go and enjoy each others company and show her more of yourself.”

Harry thought about what Remus said. He had never had the chance to experience a normal adolescence; sure, he had friends, friends good enough to die for him, but not many friends outside of the Weasley’s. “Yeah, ok, Remus. I’ll do that. Thanks.”


_____


The following Saturday morning found Harry and Ginny walking the south bank of the Thames, holding hands and watching the city come to life. The cold, damp wind and the early hour kept the tourists inside, and except for the occasional couple bundled up on a park bench, they had the promenade to themselves. Walking past the H.M.S. Belfast they next approached the London Eye, then proceeded to cross the Thames on the Westminster bridge.

Big Ben struck eight times as they passed the Parliament Building on the way to Westminster Abbey. Turning back onto Smith Street and crossing Birdcage Walk, they saw the signs to the Cabinet War Rooms and then proceeded on Smith until they came to Downing Street.

“They have guards there all the time, don’t they, Harry?” Ginny had puller herself up close to Harry, trying to gain a little warmth from his arm.

“I guess so, we couldn’t have done this a year ago, with Voldemort loose...”

“Shhh, Harry, they might hear you.”

“I don’t care, Ginny. I really don’t care any more.” Then more soberly, “But I guess I have to care. I’m just so bloody tired of hiding.” Over the past two weeks this had become a common theme with Harry. He was feeling cooped-up and limited at Hogwarts. After a long talk with Remus and Ginny, Harry came to the conclusion he needed to relax more, (as Lupin suggested,) get out more, (as Lupin suggested,) spend more time out with Ginny, (as Lupin suggested,) and see some of the country other than Hogwarts and Hogsmeade, (this was Ginny’s suggestion.) This day trip to London was Harry’s first time back to the city since he had left St. Mungo’s nine months earlier.

“Does Kingsley still work for the Prime Minister?” Ginny asked.

“Last I heard, yes. But I imagine he won’t be needed anymore, with Riddle gone.”

“Why not?” A deep bass voice boomed behind Harry and Ginny, causing them to jump, nearly into Smith Street.

“Kingsley! Hello.” Harry exclaimed, shaking his hand. “You’re not still looking out for me, are you?”

“Oh, no, Harry, not any more. Ginny Weasley, how are you. The last time I saw you was on your seventeenth birthday. You’re both looking well, and I understand congratulations are in order.” Kinglsey wore the hat and overcoat of the British Secret Service, answering their questions about his current place of employment

“Thanks, Kingsley. Are you going on duty?” Harry asked.

“Actually, I’ve been here since seven o’clock. The Prime Minister takes a morning walk every Saturday so I’m checking out for trouble. He’ll be along shortly. Would you like to meet him?”

Harry and Ginny had heard about the Prime Minister’s excellent rapport with the people; there was never a lack of stories about him visiting a factory or hospital in a surprise visit. Even among wizards he was well respected. “Well, he probably doesn’t have time for us, Kingsley.” Ginny said.

“Yeah, he probably wants to get inside and thaw out a bit.”

“Oh, no, I love London on a cold winter morning.” Shacklebolt had watched the Prime Minister and his other Secret Service guards approaching from behind Harry and Ginny. When they heard his voice and saw Shacklebolt’s grin they both knew he had intentionally distracted them.

“Er, hi, um, I’m, I mean, uh, this is...” Harry found himself completely Tongue-tied; Ginny just stood there with her mouth open. Fortunately, Shacklebolt was used to this and made the introductions.

“Prime Minister Thompson, these are two friends of mine, Harry and Ginny.” Shacklebolt prodded Harry’s right arm.

“Uh, sorry sir, I mean, Prime Minister. Kingsley set us up, we weren’t expecting you.” While shaking the Prime Minister’s hand, Harry regained some of his senses, but Ginny’s mouth was still hanging open. Harry, turned to her and closed her mouth. “Sorry, sir, she’s, um, I mean, she’s just surprised, too.”

The Prime Minister smiled, then laughed as he took Ginny’s hand. Harry instantly saw why he was so popular with the people. His smile was warm and genuine, without a trace of condescension. “Would you two like to warm up to a cup of tea with me? Come on.” Thompson took the two teens by the shoulder and led them across Smith then over to Downing Street.

“You know, Harry is it? You know, Harry, most politicians dread ‘pressing the flesh’ with the public. I find it absolutely invigorating.”

Behind them Harry and Ginny heard a guard say, “Right, sir, and it makes our lives exciting.” All the guards, including Kingsley, and Thompson laughed at the remark. “Yes, that is a common complaint among my men.”

Leading Harry and Ginny up the stairs and into the front door of number 10 Downing Street, Thompson stopped in the foyer. You two will need to go through security over there.” The PM pointed to a metal detector being operated by a bored looking security guard. “I’ll meet you in the parlor, I’d like you to meet my kids.”

Ginny spun around to face Shacklebolt. “Kingsley, get us out of here. What if he asks me what I’m studying?” Shacklebolt calmed her and Harry down. “Don’t worry, he’ll be more interested in what teens are doing these days than anything else. Here, give me your coats.” Whispering into their ears, “Keep your wands, if you like, just don’t take them out.” Unfortunately, they both had their wands stored in an inside pocket of their coats.

Walking down a narrow corridor, Kingsley escorted them to a small parlor, nothing like they had expected. “Harry,” Ginny was whispering, “I thought this place would be huge. It looks like Moody’s office.”

“All right there? What’s the big secret?” Thompson had come into the parlor sans his winter walking gear. “Sit down, please.”

“Oh, sorry, sir. We’ve never seen anything like this.” Harry stumbled through the lie.

“What? You’ve never been in a parlor before?” The Prime Minister laughed at his own little joke.

“No sir, I mean, yes sir. I’ve, we’ve been in many. I was just expecting...something else.” Harry had almost said “something nicer.”

“Well, most people don’t realize that 10 Downing is just another house, but we like it here, and I love the job.

Ginny had finally calmed down enough to say something intelligent. “Sir, you have children, you said?”

“Yes, twin boys, Tom and Al, they’re twelve. And Rebecca, she’s nine; I image that’s who’s running down the stairs right now. The boys are out to a football game, I’ve been told.” As Thompson finished talking, Harry and Ginny saw a short girl with curly auburn hair ran into the room and jumped on her father’s lap. She didn’t say anything, but clung to her father who was kissing her neck and face over and over, in a silly and playful manner.

Ginny and Harry looked at each other, but Harry was startled to see tears in Ginny’s eyes and a sad look on her face. Mouthing “What?” to her, Harry was completely lost. Then Ginny got off the chair and sat on the Floor next to the Prime Minister, and took Rebecca’s hand.

“Hello, Becca, my name is Ginny.” Ginny had said her name so softly and lovingly that Rebecca immediately turned, took both of Ginny’s hands, and climbed into her lap. Ginny, who was trying not to lose control, kissed Rebecca on the cheek and looked at the girl’s father. Thompson was in complete awe from what had happened. Harry was about to ask what was going on when Kingsley spoke up.

“I see you have a new friend, Ms. Rebecca.” Then to Harry, “Rebecca is extremely shy. I don’t think I’ve ever seen here take to someone so quickly.”

“No, Shacklebolt, it’s amazing. Ginny, do you work with children?”

Ginny could not resist giving her answer. “Oh, no sir. But I have three older brothers, and Harry here; they can be just as challenging.”

Thompson roared out in laughter. Ginny knew she had scored big.

“So, Harry, where do you know Shacklebolt from? You’re too young to have been in the service together.”

Here it is, time to start lying. Harry thought. “Well, our father’s were friends in the first war.” Ops! Harry saw Shacklebolt, who was standing slightly behind the Prime Minister, look directly at Harry and shake his head ever so slightly. Fortunately, he was better at cover-ups than Harry.

“Harry, we don’t call it that anymore. We refer to it as the Fawklands War.” Pulled your chestnuts out of that fire Potter. Kingsley’s face made the message clear. Watch what you say.

“Ah, good show. Where do your parents live, Harry?”

“Uh, they’re up in...” Harry was desperately searching for any northern city he could remember. “Glasgow, sir.”

“Oh, you’re Scottish, then? Don’t have the accent, though, do you?”

“No sir, I’m English, dad’s working there for a while. We’re really from Cambridge.” Harry was proud of his instant lie, until he saw Kingsley close his eyes and shake his head.

CAMBRIDGE! That’s my home town. What part of the city?”

Harry was beginning to sweat now. The only thing he knew about Cambridge was that it was home to a famous university, the Cam river runs through it, and it has a copy of the Magna Charta displayed in a church. “We live on the Cam, sir, near the college.”

“Ah, which of the colleges? There’s thirty-one of them, you know.” Fortunately for Harry, Thompson was watching Ginny play with Rebecca and didn’t see the panic on Harry’s face.

Again trying to rescue Harry, Kingsley cut in. “Christ College, wasn’t it, Harry? You had...” Kingsley emphasized the word “had,” “that nice Tudor on Dean Street, didn’t you?”

“Uh, yeah, Kingsley, that’s right. Then we moved to...” try another city, Potter, “Bath, near the, uh, baths.” Harry was near panic, and Kingsley was close behind, now trying to think of a way to get them out of the house. Unfortunately Ginny was making the prospects of a short stay disappear by the second.

“Yes, I love the Roman influence there.” Thompson commented.

Ginny was playing with Rebecca, bouncing the girl on her knee. Harry, trying to find some way to stop the Prime Minister from asking questions, got down on the Floor with Ginny and tried to play with Rebecca, too.

“Aw, you can play with Harry, Becca. He’s a nice guy.” Harry’s tactic seemed to have worked. The Prime Minister had stood and walked to the tea service. Harry held his hands out and tried to sound sweet like Ginny, but it just came out sounding stupid. Ginny told Harry to move back some so he scooted back a couple meters.

“Harry, now hold out your hands, she might come to you.” Pointing to Harry, Ginny was talking softly to Rebecca, trying to coax her to Harry, and Harry decided to help.

“Come here, sweetheart, come to Mr. Potter.” The child laughed and ran over to Harry, throwing her arms around his neck. Ginny could see that Harry was thrilled by the huge smile on his face, and then Rebecca ran back to Ginny. Up to this point, Thompson had stood watching his child with the two adolescents. When Harry mentioned his name, however, the Prime Minister remembered something from months before.

“Shacklebolt, please excuse us for a moment, I’d like to talk to these kids alone.” At once Kingsley’s eyes widened. He could not possible leave them alone with his charge. Thompson persisted. “I’ll be fine. If I need anything, I’ll call.” Kingsley shot a warning glance at Harry and left the room with the doors open. “Shacklebolt, the doors.” The Prime Minister called out. Two long arms reached in and pulled the doors closed.

Harry and Ginny had noticed the exchange and the concerned look on Kingsley’s face. “Maybe we should be going, sir. I’m sure you have a busy day planned.” Harry rose and tried to help Ginny up, but Rebecca was clinging to her again.

“Nonsense. Ginny, you have a way with children. To be honest, I’ve never seen Rebecca take to someone this way. If I may, how old are you?”

“I’m seventeen, sir. Your daughter is adorable. Is it Down Syndrome?” Thompson was taken aback by Ginny’s question, even though he had long since determined that Ginny knew his daughter was handicapped. He just nodded.

“What’s ‘Down Syndrome,’ Gin?” Harry had realized that there was something wrong with the child, but it had been eight years since he had spent any amount of time in the Muggle world and birth defects were unheard of in the wizarding world.

“It’s a disorder that includes a combination of birth defects, some degree of mental retardation, and characteristic facial features. There are some other symptoms, but it’s been a couple years since I read about it.”

“Is that why she’s so small for a nine year old?”

Ginny looked to the Prime Minister and saw him nod. “Yeah, Harry, it’s one of the symptoms.”

For a long time no one spoke, Harry and the Prime Minister were mesmerized by Ginny’s complete sense of comfort with the child. Finally, Rebecca ran off to another room.

“I wish my wife could have seen that. Where are you in school, Ginny? Is it around London? I would like to speak with Mary about this, but would you be interested in helping out here, maybe one or two days a week?”

Ginny looked uncomfortably at Harry. “I-I don’t know if that would work, sir. I’m in school up north and…” Ginny did not have to finish; Thompson was already nodding his head indicating that he understood.

“Ginny, would you mind terribly if I spoke with Harry in private for a moment?”

Again, Ginny and Harry exchanged concerned looks, but she rose and started toward the door through which Shacklebolt had departed. When the doors had closed Thompson pointed to an empty chair. “Have a seat, Harry.” Harry sat and Thompson sat down across from him, looking “ almost staring at Harry.

“Is Ginny your girlfriend, Harry?”

“Er, we’re engaged, sir.”

“You’re a little young for that, aren’t you?” Thompson’s questions were unusually personal, but his personality and personability put Harry at ease.

“Well, maybe a little. Ginny and I have know each other for eight years.”

“Does she know?”

“Know what, sir?”

Thompson “knew,” but had to be sure. “How is Cornelius Fudge these days?” The Prime Minister knew instantly that his guess was correct. Harry’s expression, one of total astonishment How does he know Fudge? said it all.

“It’s ok, Harry…Potter. I met Fudge about nine months ago and he mentioned your name a few times in reference to a rather nasty wizard. You are THAT Harry Potter, aren’t you?” Thompson’s smile told Harry that he already knew the answer.

“Oh, yes sir.”

“Does your fiancé know you’re a wizard?”

“Oh, well, yeah, she’s one, too. Or a witch, actually.”

“I see. Well, it was a pleasure meeting you, both. From what Fudge told me we all owe you a lot.”

“Don’t worry about it, sir, I try to down play all that rubbish.” Extending his arm, Thompson shook Harry’s hand and led him out. They had forgotten to have tea.


“Harry, can you believe it? We met the Muggle Prime Minister!” Ginny had no idea that Thompson knew who they were; she was just excited about the encounter and meeting their daughter. “And Rebecca was so cute. Oh, I wish I could work for them.” Ginny was clinging to Harry’s arm, dreamy-eyed. Harry was wondering if he would get in trouble for associating with the Muggle Prime Minister. Their thoughts were along altogether divergent paths.

“Well, you feel like having a bite?” Harry asked, trying to strike up a conversation.

“No, thanks, Harry. I’m ok.” Ginny just wanted to think.

“Er, how ‘bout we walk through St. James Park?” What does she want to do?

“Hm, that’s fine.” Harry, be quiet, I’m thinking.

“I bet this place is nice in the summer, with all the flowers.” I’ll talk about flowers, girls like that kind of stuff.

“Probably.” Shut up, Harry.

“We’ll come back this summer; let’s go sit over in that gazebo.” A nice feminine pink trim, too.

“Ok.” Harry, you know I hate pink. Or do you?

“Just a mo, Ginny, let me clean the seat off.” Good, Potter, very chivalrous.

“Never mind, it’s fine.” For Merlin’s sake, Harry, just sit.

“Oh, ok. Sure you don’t want some tea?” She’s got to be freezing.

NO, Harry, I’m fine. Just sit here.” He’s worse than Padma Patil.

“Ok, Gin.” What’s wrong with her now? Why isn’t she saying anything? Is she mad at me? Does my breath smell? Did she see me look at that girl over there? What time is it? I wonder if she’s hungry yet. I wish she’d say something. Merlin it’s cold. Come on, Gin, my arse is frozen to this seat.


_____


Remus Lupin was sitting on a chair he had levitated from his office to the south entrance of the school. There was just enough over hang to prevent snow from piling up, and there was enough depth to the entryway to keep the swirling winds away. Wrapped in blankets and sipping on a large mug of hot tea, he thought this was the way to spend a winter: enjoying the scenery and relaxing in the cold mountain air.

I HATE you, Potter, just leave me alone.” Ginny Weasley came storming around the west side of the building, her face crimson and her jaw set just like her mother’s when angry. Stomping up the stairs, Ginny paused when she saw Lupin. ”And I hate you, too. Stay out of my business.” Remus sat there, his mug half way up to his lips, waiting to find out what the Bat Boogey Hex felt like. Instead, he heard the door slam shut. A few seconds later Harry walked slowly around the same corner. Other than a bright red hand-shaped imprint on Harry’s left cheek, Harry just looked…confused.

“Hi there, Harry. Have a good time in London?” Remus put on a huge grin. Harry walked up to Remus and drew his wand, pointing it at him. “Harry, wait…” In his scrambling to get out of the way of Harry’s spell he upset the tea mug and scalded his leg. Then he tripped and fell in a small drift of snow; fortunately the blankets broke his fall. The mug was not as lucky. By the time he untangled himself from the blankets, Remus saw Harry sitting in a chair he had conjured, next to his own.

“That’s the last time I listen to you, Moony.” Harry’s face was set and he didn’t bother to help Lupin back into his chair.

“Harry, what happened?” This time the sincerity in his voice had a better effect.

“That girl drives me crazy, Remus. The day started out so nice…” Harry went on for an hour telling Lupin all the had done. “Somewhere around mid morning she just started being crabby and nothing I did was good enough for her.” Harry was obviously confused and agitated. “I’m going to see Hermione.” With that abrupt excuse, Harry jumped up and ran down the south lawn towards Hogsmeade.


“Hi Harry, what’s going on? Ginny with you?” Harry gave Hermione an exasperated look and invited himself in.

“Can we talk, Hermione?”

“Yeah, sure. I just got the fire going, come on in.” Harry left his coat, hat, gloves, and boots in the front hall and went into the kitchen.

“Mind if I have an ale?” He had already taken one out and opened it.

“No, help yourself. Come see what I’ve done.”

Walking into the parlor, Harry saw that Hermione had been doing some serious rearranging. The love seat was gone and the sofa sat in the middle of the room, facing the fireplace. On the wood Floor, between the sofa and fireplace, she had placed a large animal skin of some kind, but it looked warm. The sofa also had a number of overstuffed pillows.

“Wow, what a change. What was the inspiration?”

“Here, sit down, I’ll show you.” Placing the large pillows on the rug, Hermione lay on her back, head resting on the pillows and feet just a meter from the fire. “Perfect for reading and keeping my feet warm. Like it?”

Harry joined Hermione on the Floor and after maneuvering a couple pillows found his cold feet and wet socks quickly warming. “Ah, Hermione, this is great. Have you heard from Ron?”

“Yeah, they’re leaving the States tomorrow and using one of the Muggle airplanes to travel to Australia. He said it would take too long by broom. Hey, enough about Ron. Why did Ginny hit you?”

“That obvious?”

“Have you looked in the mirror?”

Harry put his hand to his cheek and winced. “Yeah, I guess it’s that obvious.”

“What did you do to get her angry? You’re lucky she didn’t hex you.”

“We were in London, Muggle London. The day started off great…” Harry proceeded to tell Hermione the story he just told Remus.

“Wow, you met Thompson? I’ve read that he’s very popular.”

“He’s amazing, almost like a wizard. He puts you at ease with no trouble, just by talking.”

“I’ve read that there are a lot of Muggles like that, but it’s not magic, just their personality.”

“So, any ideas about Ginny?” Harry turned on his side to face Hermione, who was already facing him.

“Yeah, but I won’t tell you unless you feel like hearing a sex-ed talk.”

“What? What does sex have to do with it?” Harry was feeling uncomfortable using that word with Hermione next to him.

“Not that, Harry, sex, as in gender. You remember that stuff, don’t you?” Hermione was giving Harry one of those “You should have paid more attention in class” looks.

“Yeah, I think, what did I miss this time?” Harry was afraid to ask.

“Harry, do you remember anything about a woman’s menstrual cycle? No, I didn’t think so. Look Harry, wait a sec.” Hermione got up and ran to the bedroom, returning a minute later with a book. “Here, take this and read it. I’m too embarrassed to read it to you. Isn’t that a kick? I’ve dog-eared the chapter you need to read. Try to have it back by next week, Ron’s getting home and may need a refresher.”

Laughing, Harry started looking through the book but closed it when he got to some pages that were “explicit.” Hermione was watching him and laughed at his embarrassment. “Don’t worry, Harry. Once you and Ginny start, I mean, once you’re married a lot of these things work themselves out naturally. Before Ron and I were, ah, active, if you know what I mean, I thought I knew everything. Heavens, was I wrong. Poor Ginny would ask me all sorts of things, thinking I’d know all about this or that. I really should talk to her and correct some of those errors I passed on to her.”

Hermione was babbling away, but this time Harry was paying attention. He did not know Ginny had been going to Hermione for advice. “Say, Hermione, exactly what kind of advice was she asking for?”

“Don’t worry, Harry, it wasn’t about you, it was about herself. You know, girls stuff, feelings.”

“Have I done something wrong?”

“No, not that I can tell. Maybe on her birthday, but don’t worry about that, it was more a matter of you two not being aware of your, uh, bodies, you know and wow they respond when you, uh, mess around. Believe me, Ginny wasn’t mad at you, just confused.”

“Ok, thanks, I guess.”

Trying to change the subject, Harry asked about Ron. Hermione instantly got serious. “Harry, I miss him so much.” Harry saw tears forming in her eyes, but she quickly blinked them away. Hermione paused for a minute, all the while looking like she was about to say something. “Harry, last week I had a drink over at the Inn, with Katie. It was the first time I had anything to drink since last August and I felt terrible. This may sound stupid, but I felt like I was committing adultery. Ron trusts me so much but I feel I let him down.” Hermione buried her face in the huge pillow and Harry could tell she was crying.

“Nah, Hermione, have you had anything to drink since then?” Harry was relieved to see her head shake no. “Look, you know where Ginny and I are, come over if you need to be with someone. I mean it. With Snape gone, you could probably get a free meal, too.”

“Ok, Harry, thanks. I’ll do that.” Hermione took a few minutes to calm herself while Harry made small talk about school and their mutual friends. Before long, Hermione was her same old self and Harry was starting to think he should go and talk to Ginny.

“Say, are you hungry? I have some leftover salad and chicken.”

“Nah, thanks, I better get back and talk to Ginny. Thanks for listening.”

“Sure. You should probably read that chapter first, it will help you understand women better.” As Hermione got up she put a hand to Harry’s cheek and smiled. “You’re a good man, Harry Potter. Now get out of here.”