Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and The Story In The Runes by IHateSnakes

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Harry Potter and The Story In The Runes
Based on the Harry Potter Series By J. K. Rowling

Chapter 29 “ Fudge Returns

Please Read & Review, it makes for better stories!



“Over the next few years I slowly made my way back to my new home. It was a lonely, unhappy journey, I had hoped for more from my meeting with Joshua. His messages cheered me, his devotion inspired me, but the passion he held for his destiny puzzled me, and his ability to see inside me was unsettling. Every day I thought he might appear on the road ahead and tell me why I existed and what my purpose was. It never happened. Much later I learned that my understanding of him was not unique.”

“As the years passed I heard rumors and stories about Joshua. Truthfully, none of them were new; most were embellishments of themes I had already heard. Silly stories would appear every so often and I wondered how people could believe them. I always had to remember that my existence was unique and my understanding of life was very different than an average person who might live for thirty or forty years. This was a constant struggle for me and I had to exert a great deal of patience to restrain myself from lashing out at their stupidity and ignorance.”

“Returning to Britannia, about ten years after meeting Joshua, I resolved to take time analyzing myself and my relationship with the world in which I existed. Joshua’s comment about ‘being of this world’ gave me a passion to understand where I would go in my life. Searching for a new home, perhaps in some hills where the locals would be afraid of me and leave me be, I sought solitude and quiet. I found such a place a few months later, in a cave overlooking the ocean. I had the seclusion of a hermit’s life and my cave opened to the sea; its steady, unending rhythm was a source of comfort and stability. There I began to find myself.”

“As I started to explore my mind I chose to put everything into writing. I had no trouble remembering what my own words were, but future beings like myself, or even a common peasant may not have they ability to remember as I do. I knew how to write, but finding parchment was difficult and expensive. I taught myself to print very small and be concise in my wording; still, I needed much more parchment than I could find. Turning to the Roman occupiers, I purchased papyrus and used that for a while, but after a few years I found that papyrus would fall apart in the salt laden sea air and I was forced to return to parchment. The inks I used went through similar tests, it was an altogether frustrating start for me and it took years for me to find the correct combinations of ink and parchment.”

“My first important intellectual action was to organize my powers and label them. I had seldom used these gifts and in many ways they frightened me. If I lost control I would cause terrible things to take place, but I had never focused on understanding what had happened before that point. Thinking back to my first years of existence, I knew that my powers were channeled through the curses I inflicted. Some came from my mouth and some from my mind; verbal and non-verbal. The different strengths of my curses amazed me. When spoken, the same curse could be mild or destructive, so I made groups and names for each. The detail of my work appealed to my meticulous nature.”

“Years went by before I had recorded everything I knew. Many of the curses were trite, or insignificant, but I wrote them all down. Nearly one hundred years after my encounter with Joshua I had finally finished. My cave had protected me from the prying eyes of locals and provided me with the solitude I needed to understand my powers better. I tied the thick pile of parchment with hemp rope and thought, this is for Joshua.

Peter remained seated, digesting the story and how it corresponded with what Percy had told him. “Do you still have those parchments?”

“No, they were lost long ago when I was chased out of your world, but not until I had made another copy. I put those on paper I made with my own hands.” Merlin patted the large, thick book he always carried with him.

Looking at the youth, Merlin stood and beckoned Peter to walk with him. “Things are happening, Peter, in your world and in mine. I worry sometimes about what I’ve done with my life and how I might have done things differently. When I die there may be no more like me; I’ve never run across anyone or anything even remotely like myself, except Joshua.”

As Merlin walked and spoke of Joshua, Peter could sense his unease. There was a tone of fear in his voice, not overt fear, just something about it that made him sad.

“Merlin, you lived so long as a child, why are you old now?”

Merlin turned to Peter, smiling. “Peter, something happened many years ago that turned my passion for life into a passion for…” Peter was sure Merlin was about to say “death,” but the old man let the sentence dangle while he searched for a word.

“I think the word I’m looking for is fulfillment. In spite of all that I had, and all that I could do, I was empty; but that is another part of the story.” Merlin again patted the book. This time, however, it was Peter who asked to hear more and a smile spread across the old man’s face.

“The Roman Empire was at its height for the next three hundred years in Britannia. There were wars and native uprisings, but the land usually remained firmly in Rome’s grasp. After I had finished writing about my curses I traveled to London where I lived for a brief time. London was a small town that had started as a Roman military fort. As the occupation wore on, London grew as a center of trade and attracted more people, but it was a dirty, disease-ridden place. In the countryside you could find small communities of Romans that were far more pleasant to interact with, so I left the city.”

“That’s where I lived another hundred years or so, near a village twenty miles north of London. I stayed far enough away from the village to remain a nonentity and close enough to watch the happenings of the world. The followers of Joshua, who now called themselves Christians, first came to my area as wandering clerics during this time. Although they did not establish a permanent presence anywhere in Britannia for another hundred years, I enjoyed watching their comings and goings. Sometimes I would listen to them, seeing if the words Joshua spoke to me were still being proclaimed.”

“On occasion, one cleric or another would speak with me, but I always felt that I drove them away with my breath of knowledge. If I merely listened, acting more like a child, I was treated as one and simply told to ‘be good.’ I came to realize that my fascination with Joshua was connected to my devotion to him; the teachings of the clerics seemed to agree with this, and set me off on another path that forever changed my life. It is also the start of the story which will answer your question.”


_____


Before Harry approached Ginny that same evening, he decided to read what Hermione had given him. Making himself comfortable on the bed in his room and playing a selection of Muggle music he had come to fancy, Harry thought he was well prepared to understand women in thirty pages, or so. After a few pages Harry discovered that there were so many terms he did not understand that it would be better to read the book cover to cover and forget about shortcuts.

Rubbing his eyes a few hours later, Harry realized he had read through dinner, midnight was approaching, and he still had not talked to Ginny. On the other hand, he felt more confused about female anatomy and physiology now than he did hours ago. Putting the book down, Harry noticed that at his current rate, it would be a few more days before he finished; but he might get to the section Hermione had showed him tomorrow.

A soft knock on his suite door startled Harry; almost no one would be up at this time unless there was something wrong. Hurrying to the door Harry suddenly wondered if it might be Ginny. He opened the door and greeted his visitor. “Oh, hi Remus, what do you want?”

Lupin was surprised at the total lack of enthusiasm in Harry’s voice; well, maybe not totally surprised.

“Hi Harry, can I come in?” Opening the door, Harry grunted something that sounded like “sure.”

“Sorry to bother you so late like this. I was just wondering if things were ok?” Standing awkwardly in the den, Remus was trying to appear apologetic and concerned. “I didn’t see you at dinner tonight and I wanted to be sure you were well. I feel bad that your day with Ginny ended the way it did. Can I sit down?”

“Sure, Remus. Thanks for coming by. Didn’t mean to sound like I was unhappy to see you. I was hoping, er, that it was Ginny.” Harry did not look up while he spoke.

“Yeah, I can understand that. I think I’d rather see Tonks than you at midnight.” This brought out a laugh and smile from him.

Harry was about to tell Remus about Hermione’s book when there was another knock on the door. Remus mouthed to Harry, “It’s probably Ginny this time,” and rose to get the door. Opening it a few centimeters, Harry heard Remus chuckle and Hermione walked into the room. “Hi Harry. What are you doing here, Remus?”

Remus answered, “I think that you need a better answer to that question than I do.” Harry and Remus laughed, but Hermione stayed composed. “I stopped by to see if Harry would walk me home. I lost track of the time in the library.”

“Oh, that excuse again!” Remus winked at Harry. “How many times did your parents fall for that one?” Remus saw immediately that he had said something wrong, but he had no idea what. Then he remembered that Hermione’s parents were not at the wedding. “Um, I think I put my foot in my mouth. Whatever it is, Hermione, I apologize.”

Hermione was trying to blink away tears, still standing and holding her books. Remus pulled a handkerchief out and apologized again as he offered it to her.

“It’s ok, Remus, thanks for the kerchief.” The three stood there, awkwardly for a few seconds then heard still another knock on the door. Hermione reached behind herself and opened the door without even looking to see who it was.

“Harry? Am I missing a party?” Ginny stuck her head in, looking at the people gathered. While she was looking at Harry, Remus, and Hermione, they were looking back; no one noticed Mrs. Norris slip into Harry’s room and hide behind the desk.

“Ginny, get in here, you’re not supposed to be out this late, and definitely not here!” Remus had grabbed her hand and pulled the third arrival into the den, which was starting to become crowded.

Harry was finding this amusing. “Did everyone bring their jammies and blanket? Some of you will have to sleep on the Floor.” That comment got everyone laughing. Ginny was standing opposite Harry as they all explained what was going on.

“Harry, I’ll walk Hermione home. It’s a full moon tonight and I love walking under them.” Taking Hermione’s books, Remus was about to leave when there were three loud bangs on the door and Filch’s voice yelling out.

“Open up, Potter, I know she’s in there. The Headmaster’s on the way. Open up, I have a key, you know.” The unmistakable sound of a large circular metal key ring jingling was heard. Now all four people in the den looked at each other, no one quite sure how to handle the situation. Then they heard another voice outside the door.

FILCH! What the BLOODY HELL are you doing?” The key ring stopped jingling.

“She’s in here, Headmaster. And Potter’s got Mrs. Norris, too.” The key ring started up again. “Here, I’ll prove it.”

BANG BANG BANG “Potter, it’s me, Moody. Open up this damn door.”

Harry walked over to the door and opened it. “Hi Mad-Eye. Wanna join us?” Harry opened the door all the way so Moody could see who was there. Moody looked for a second, snorted, snorted again, and then kicked at something with his peg-leg. Mrs. Norris let out a pained “meow” as she ran back out the door and down the hallway.

Turning his back to Harry, Moody stated very clearly, “Filch, I don’t know what sort of arrangement Dumbledore and the rest of the faculty here had with you. AndI DON’T CARE. If you wake be up one more time because two kids are doing what they’re supposed to be doing, you’re out. GOT IT? O-U-T OUT!

Moody stuck his head back into Harry’s room. “Lupin, aren’t you a little old for these girls?” Laughing at his own joke, the Headmaster turned and hobbled back to his room.

“Ah, yes, Hermione, I’ll walk you home now. Goodnight Harry, Ginny.” Taking Hermione’s elbow, Remus made a quick exit.

Harry and Ginny remained standing, not really looking at each other. Finally Ginny spoke first. “Harry, I’m sorry about today.”

“It’s ok, Gin.” Harry still felt uncomfortable, wondering if Filch would reappear. “I, er, went and talked to Hermione for a while.”

“Yeah, she told me. She came by after dinner to see if I was ok. Did you read that stuff she gave you?”

“Well, I started to but I didn’t understand it, you know, picking it up in the middle. So I began again from the beginning. It’s, um, sort of, different.”

Ginny was standing with her hands clasped behind her, balanced on her left foot, the right foot pointed, toes only on the ground. She was facing down and her hair had fallen over her face. Harry thought she looked eleven or twelve again. He felt that way sometimes, too.

“Ginny, I wonder, sometimes about us.” This brought Ginny’s head snapping up. “Not like that. I’m just so lost sometimes. I feel like there’s an eighteen year void in my life where a normal guy should have grown.” Harry’s voice spoke of his pain, but he kept his eyes on Ginny’s face.

“Lost?” Harry nodded. “This morning at Downing street I felt so alive, almost like I was supposed to be there. Here I feel like I’m just going through motions, N.E.W.T.s mean nothing to me. You know, when I got back this afternoon I went to my room and started packing. I wanted to leave Hogwarts and never see it again.” Ginny was getting choked up as she told Harry of all her fears. “Every time I walk out the south lawn…I see death, David, Cho, Victor, they’re all still there, I mean, I feel them. It’s like I’m walking through a creepy cemetery with dementors watching my every move. I hate it.”

“Yeah, I know what you mean. I hated being so uncomfortable with the Prime Minister. I didn’t tell anyone, but he knew I was a wizard.”

WHAT? How did he know, Harry?

“I don’t know, but he knew my name and he knew who Fudge was.” Harry paused, watching Ginny’s face. How can I love her so much and feel so bloody rotten? “For just a moment, when we were talking with Kingsley and he was telling us how the Prime Minister liked to get out and meet the people, I thought of how brilliant that would be. He doesn’t have to hide himself from the rest of the world.” Harry walked over to Ginny and pulled her close to him, nestling his face in her hair and shoulder, smelling the flowery fragrance from her shampoo. “Why did you stop packing?”

“I don’t know. I mean, I do know, I couldn’t go without you.”

“Ask me next time you start packing. I just might go with you. No, I would go with you. I realized a while ago that being here just made me feel…empty. You’re the only reason I stay.”

Ginny wrapped her arms around Harry and held him tight. I just might do that some day, Harry Potter. Thinking back to meeting the Prime Minister, Ginny asked, “Do you think Kingsley got in trouble with the Ministry?”

“No, Scrimgeour has too many problems with all this other stuff going on.”

“Yeah, I guess so.” Another long period of silence lay between. “Harry, will you take me to see Percy tomorrow?”

“You feel up to it?” Harry could not imagine that being in a hospital and seeing Percy in his condition would help her.

“Yes, I think I need to say good bye to him. I never did it with Bill and Charlie.” Ginny was no longer crying, but her voice had become lifeless.

“Right then, first thing after breakfast?” Harry could feel Ginny’s nod on his chest. “Ok, let me walk you back to the dorm, it’s been a long day.”

Ginny Stopped Harry, “Do I have to go?” She sounded like a child asking if she could stay up past her bed time. For that reason alone, Harry knew she had to leave.

“Tonight, yes, but let’s see how tomorrow goes.”


_____


“Yes sir?”

“I thought I heard you out there. Why are you still here? Your shift ended hours ago”

“Just catching up on some things, sir.”

“I see. Say, which unit did you and Harry’s father serve in?” Thompson was staring into Shacklebolt’s eyes. Kingsley had seen him do this before and it made him wonder if he was a wizard.

“Yes, I thought so. I take it that since you know Harry you also know what he is?”

Kingsley seldom found himself at a loss for words, but this was one of those times. His mouth opened, quite widely, but no sounds came out.

“I see. Very interesting. He’s a pleasant young man, and that girl of his is a magician with Rebecca, wouldn’t you say, Kingsley?” Still no sound from the secret service officer. “And shall I assume that you are…as we say, ‘birds of a feather’?”

“Yes, sir.” Shacklebolt knew his cover was blown. “Though technically speaking, we don’t refer to ourselves as magicians.”


_____


“Yes sir?”

“Are you certain it was Potter that he gave it to?”

The one man nodded and showed the other three Muggle photographs.

“Scare him away, but be careful, he’s too popular to just ‘disappear,’ understand?”

“I do, sir. I have a little plan all set.”

“Wonderful, now get out, you smell like a morgue.”


_____


Late Sunday morning, while Harry and Ginny were at St. Mungo’s, Rudy was finishing up an essay for his Defense class. The essay was for extra credit; while Rudy’s grades had improved in the past two months, he had to make up for a number of early term failures. Harry had proposed a series of essays to earn the credits and improve his final grade. As he finished, he heard Lisa and Carol come into the Gryffindor common room and call out to him.

“Hi, I’m just finishing up this essay. What are you doing?”

“We were going exploring, we haven’t seen any of the old north tower, want to come with us?” The twins walked over to the table Rudy was working at.

“Yeah, sounds great. I just have to drop this off at Harry’s office.” Running to his dorm to put away his books, paper, and quill, Rudy returned and grabbed his essay. Running out of the common room, the three made their way down to Harry’s office.

“His door's open, he must be in there,” observed Lisa.

“Or he’s airing the place out. It smells worse than the boy’s dorm.” Carol joked.

Rudy knocked on the partially opened door. “Harry? It’s me, Rudy.” Hearing no answer, Rudy looked back to the twins wondering what to do. Lisa nudged Rudy aside and pushed the door open all the way.

“Yuck, it really stinks in here. Put the essay on his desk and let’s go, I think I’m going to be sick.” Lisa ran out of Harry’s office, waiting with Carol on the far side of the hallway.

After a second they heard Rudy coughing, then he came out of the office, eyes watering and skin was pale.

“There’s a dead person in there.”