Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and The Story In The Runes by IHateSnakes

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Harry Potter and The Story In The Runes
A “Fan Fiction” Based on the Harry Potter Series By J. K. Rowling

Chapter 7 “ Strong Drink Giveth The Desire But Taketh Away The Ability. Wm. Shakespeare

Please Read & Review, it makes for better stories! Thank you.



Homecoming

Returning to an empty Hog House late on August 9th, Harry started to unpack when he heard a loud bang on the front door and Hermione yell: “Ronny, please!” Jumping up to open the door he got there just as Hermione and Ron fell into the front hall in a heap, laughing - though the laughing was mostly by Ron. One look at the two and Harry knew they were drunk, and not just a little drunk.

“Hi Ron, Hermione, celebrating something?”

“Oh, hi Ron, I mean Harry…” Hermione was completely looped and looked a little green. “…I was jus' helping Harry 'ere uptoRon’s room. Wanna joinus?”

Harry laughed and helped the two untangle. Telling Hermione to sit there and wait for him to return, Harry lugged Ron to his room. As he set him down on his bed Ron finally spoke.

“Harry, I'm gonna to be sick. Where’s my pillow?”

“No you don't, Ron.” And pulling his friend to his feet led him to the bathroom and left him on the floor, hoping he could find the toilet. Returning to the hall he saw Hermione had left. He looked through the still open front door but then heard something crash in the kitchen. Closing the door he headed towards the noise and found Hermione sitting on the floor with a broken flowerpot next to her.

“I'll get it…Harry…after I barf…again” And Hermione turned to her right and… When she was finished Harry helped her up to her room and got her into to bed. Then, bringing in a bucket from the loo, Harry put it next to Hermione and told her to use it, not the floor, if she still felt ill.

“Aw, Harryyou’reannnaaangle. Help meget ready for bed, Harry, he he he, canyou take my clothes off forme? He he he he he…my pajamas are in there.” But Hermione was pointing to the stairs.

“Here, let me just loosen…something up a bit, Hermione…” Trying to figure out what he could loosen without having to face Hermione's wrath the next day, Harry started helping her out of her sweater but could not tell if she wore anything under it, so he stopped. Hermione was babbling something about Ron likes that, too. Harry was cheesed off with Hermione but he did find it amusing, seeing her this far out of character.

“Harrrrry, where are you, Harrrry?” Hermione was now wobbling and if Harry’s guess was correct she was about to… He got the bucket up just in time. As Harry was about to leave she grabbed him around the neck and babbled something incoherent that ended with “…almost as much as Ronny. He he he.” Then she turned around and was sick, again.

A nice welcome home, Harry thought to himself as he went to clean up Hermione’s messes.

A while later, with both his friends sleeping “ or passed-out “ Harry found a letter on the dining room table congratulating Ron as the new Chudley Canon’s keeper, second string. Question answered, Harry went off to bed.


The next day Hermione was still vomiting and Ron still acted drunk, but he was able to cast two anti-hangover spells before he went back to bed and that seemed to help both of them. Harry berated himself for not thinking of that, but he had plans for the day and left the house to pick out Ginny’s birthday present.

August 11th was Ginny’s birthday and Harry had been waiting in anticipation of this day. Today was the day, Harry thought, just a couple things to do. Before heading to the Burrow with Ron and Hermione “ neither of whom looked completely recovered - Harry walked into town and picked up his other gift for Ginny, then he headed back to the house and found Ron alone in the living room.

“Hermione ready to go?” Harry asked.

“Uh, no Harry, she’s still not feeling well and now she’s ranting at me for getting her drunk.” Ron looked dejected; they had both been looking forward to Ginny’s party. “I'll stay here with her and you go on. Here, please give Ginny these from Hermione and me.”

“No, Ron, you’re her brother. And don't let Hermione boss you around; she got drunk on her own and should not spoil your evening.” Harry was angry with both of them, but mostly at Hermione whom he usually considered to be above this behavior. “I'll go up and tell her you’re going.”

When Harry got to Hermione’s room she was curled up in bed and looked rotten. Harry told Hermione that Ron was going to dinner with him and that she should not expect him to pay for her mistakes. Besides, Harry said, “I want you two there tonight.”

His words seemed to rouse Hermione and she sat up in bed; trying to sound serious she asked Harry what had happened the other night…between them. Still angry with her, Harry really laid it on with a shovel. “Not too much, Maya, you just couldn’t keep your hands off me, and you did not seem to mind when I…”

Hermione looked like she was going to be sick again, or maybe cry, and possibly both. But Harry started laughing and Hermione slowly shook her head saying: “I guess I deserved that.” Yes, you certainly did.

Returning to the living room, Harry told Ron what had happened and then took the floo network to the Burrow. About five minutes later Ron and a very unsteady Hermione arrived; she said a quick hi to everyone and then headed off to the loo.

_____


Harry & Ginny

Minerva McGonagall was in the family room dressed more casually than Harry had ever seen. Without the stern glare and formal robes she looked like any other grandmother, laughing and talking freely with everyone at the party. Harry caught her eye she smiled a warm genuine smile, and walked over to him. “Harry, how lovely to see you. You look wonderful. Is camp going well?

“Thank you, professor, it went great and I feel great.” McGonagall’s smile told Harry that she believed him and was happy for the good times he was finally having.

“Professor, what are your plans now that Hogwarts is reopening?”

“Harry, I'm no longer a teacher and have no plans to return to Hogwarts as the headmistress so please call me ‘Minerva.’” Harry could tell by the look on her face that retirement was working out well for her.

“Well, it won't be the same without you, profess…Minerva.” Using her first name would take a lot of getting used to. Harry and McGonagall chatted for a few minutes as other guests arrived. While speaking about the British National Quidditch Team camp she pointed out to Harry, “And there's the newest teacher at Hogwarts!”

Harry turned and was delighted to see the broad smile on the face of Neville Longbottom. Excusing himself from McGonagall, Harry went up to Neville to offer his congratulations, but he had to wait his turn. While standing there Harry though about how happy Neville must be, he was no longer an orphan, he was now part of the Hogwarts family. This was a fitting reward for Neville who had earned top honors in Herbology.

Watching Neville graciously accept congratulations and hugs and handshakes, Harry thought back to their first year at Hogwarts and Neville’s complete and total apprehension of…everything. The toad, Trevor, who would always go missing, the fear of Snape, fear of flying “ which was so instrumental in Harry’s Quidditch career - his abysmal memory for passwords…then Harry remembered the ten points he won for Gryffindor that led to the house cup victory over Slytherin at the end of term feast. Neville always seemed to turn out all right.

Ginny appeared a few minutes later, walking down the stairs smiling and looking absolutely radiant, Harry thought (but he had a biased opinion.) She wore a lightweight navy blue blouse that tied at her waist with a white-laced camisole beneath; the three buttons down the front of her blouse matched the flaming red hue of her hair and a short (but not too short) white skirt. Harry stared at her, unable to look away, mesmerized by her magical mixture of adolescence and adulthood; she looked…perfect.

Walking to her through the crowd, and then reaching her, their eyes met and Harry melted when he saw her smile; sweeping her into his arms and kissing her as if he had not seen her in a fortnight, which was exactly the case. Expecting the usual cat-calls and wolf-whistles from Fred and George, Harry found that he had no eyes or ears for anyone but Ginny. The “beast” roared again, over and over, and Harry found he could not break away even though he knew he had to.

Finally, after what seemed forever and not long enough, they separated lips then pulled each other into an embrace, clinging and enjoying the touch of their love. They whispered welcomes and other words of love, as lovers do. Harry could feel an exciting anticipation in Ginny, which he knew was for him alone; it gave him a feeling of completeness and meaning.

After another long minute, Mrs. Weasley came up and greeted Harry, trying to tactfully separate the two. Harry acquiesced, albeit reluctantly, giving Ginny a last brush on her lips with his, as if saying I will be back.

The rest of the evening was a wonderful celebration of family and friends. Remus and Tonks were there as well as George and Fred. Mad Eye and Kingsley Shacklebolt made a brief appearance but could not stay, they had received a tip about a Death Eater whom had been tracking and were headed to Zanzibar. This serious topic stifled the cheer of the party but it returned after the two aurors departed. Harry saw Ginny looking at him, observing how he reacted to the visitor’s news, but he just smiled and went back to his conversation with Fred. Nothing was going to spoil his evening.

Hermione was looking and sounding better, and then she disappeared, giggling, with Ginny for a few minutes. When Ginny returned she was wearing beautiful new earrings that looked like stylized British flags; Harry knew they were the symbols of the British National Quidditch Team. When Hermione returned he gave her a sincere “thank you” from himself. The birthday dinner lasted until eight pm and Molly had outdone herself, which is saying a lot, with every dish. Ginny’s favorite spice cake and treacle tart ended the meal.

After everyone finished eating and while they were still seated, Harry asked Mr. Weasley if he could say something to everyone. Already knowing the news, Arthur was happy to call attention to Harry. The announcement was short and for once Harry did not feel shy about telling everyone his news. Saying it was a dream come true, Harry, while looking at Ginny, told everyone that he had made the team, first string. The room erupted in cheers and clapping; Ginny ran from her spot opposite Harry and kissed him again, it reminded him of how she looked that night one year ago when he first kissed her. But Harry had one more thing to say.

“Ginny, stay here for a sec, would you?” Not waiting for an answer, Harry looked around the table and spoke.

“I have thought of all you as friends over the years, and recently as the family I never had…” Harry was finding this harder than he had planned. “..and I want to thank all of you. I would also like to take this chance to say how much your love means to me and how much I treasure it.” Ginny was listening but could not tell where this was going.

“Something has happened in my life that…I never expected...or planned for, but I am faced with it and I am going to need your help getting through.” Harry paused and looked at the silent table with its concerned faces. Then looking directly at Molly and Arthur as they sat watching him, Harry smiled and continued.

“Mom and dad, I would like your permission to…” Everyone suddenly knew what the next words would be. “…marry your daughter.” While Harry had transfixed everyone’s eyes with his comments, his hand had reached into his coat pocket and brought out a small box. Turning to Ginny after seeing an unambiguous “Yes” on her parents’ faces, Harry opened the box and said, simply, and quietly, “Gin, I love you more than life itself, will you marry me?”

But even before the question formed in Harry’s mouth, or before he had shown her the ring, Ginny answered it with a kiss. Around the table everyone cheered and got up to congratulate Harry and Ginny. After his fiancé, the first person Harry saw was Ron, with glazed eyes he brought his long arms around Ginny and Harry, holding them tightly and shouting over the noise into their ears, “Well done, you two, brilliant!, brilliant! I love you both."

Molly and Arthur wanted to keep the new couple there for the evening but Fred and George protested, saying they had already planned an evening for their “little sister.” Eventually Fred and George won out, principally because Harry asked them to give him and Ginny some time away to talk and plan. Molly looked apprehensive but finally smiled and said “Off you go, and Ginny, you may be legal now but I want you back at a reasonable hour.”

“So, you two, where are we headed?” Harry asked after they had said their goodbyes for the evening.

“Well, Fred and I were talking and made a minor change in plans after your announcement.” Both the twins wore absolutely straight faces, which was ALWAYS a bad sign. “So if you two would please hold onto our arms we will take you to the perfect place for newly engaged couples.”

And with Harry taking Fred’s arm, and Ginny taking George’s, they all disappeared into the night.


“Fred, George, what is this?” Ginny asked with a little annoyance in her voice. They had landed in a room with a dirty floor and a musty smell. And it was pitch dark.

“Ah, well, we thought, given the circumstances,” Fred started.

“You two getting married and what not…” George continued.

“We felt you would like some time to yourselves, to well…” Fred stuttered.

“Yeah, for you to have a little time on your own...

“Away.”

“...from everyone.”

“So you have two hours.”

“That is about all the time we can manage, before”

“Before Ginny has to be home.”

“Bye.” One of the twins disapperated.

“Bye.” The other was now gone and Harry and Ginny still did not know where they were.

Harry took out his wand, but before he could say “lumos” Ginny heard him sniffing the air, then laughing. “I know where we are. Stay here, Gin.” Harry walked off into the darkness and in a few seconds turned on a light. Harry and Ginny were standing in the basement of their house in Hogsmeade. “As soon as I recognized the smell of Ron’s tennies I knew where we were. Shall we?” And Harry pointed up the basement stairs.

Later, Harry sat on the floor leaning against the couch. He had changed out of his dress clothes into some of Ginny’s father’s old PJ bottoms and a Chudley Canons t-shirt Ron had given him. His arm around Ginny shoulders; he could think of nothing else he wanted right then but to be with her and hold her. He looked at her left hand and the ring he had given her; two rubies and a diamond, it was a perfect combination for a perfect woman.

As the silence lengthened Harry decided to tell Ginny about the national team and his adventures during tryouts. He went on for a while as she was snuggling up close to him. Then, hearing her deep, slow breaths, Harry asked if he was boring her. Ginny sat up and told him no, but also mentioned that there was only so much Quidditch that even she could consume in one evening. She was thankful that Harry had readily accepted this and changed the subject. The subject he changed to immediately yanked her out of her haze.

“Gin, remember our conversation last year about having kids?”

“Um-hm, well, vaguely”

“Do you want to start a family right away?” As soon as the words had left his mouth Harry realized what he said and finished: “…I mean, of course, a-after the wedding!”

“I know perfectly well what you meant, Mr. Potter. And yes, I think so. How ‘bout you?”

“Sure, Gin, I think we should have at least a dozen.” He replied, sitting up and looking into her eyes with a mischievous smile on his face. Harry got the reaction from her that he was looking for as she took a swat at his arm and asked him if he thought he was up to the task twelve times. Turning to see Harry’s reddening face, she grabbed his midsection and started to tickle him and draw him down towards herself.

Needing no encouragement, the two reclined on the soft carpet in front of the fireplace and began to snog and giggle like two kids, which in many ways they still were. Just seventeen and eighteen they had both lived through the experiences and joys of a lifetime, as well as sorrows and pains too deep for any teenager to ever have to know. Perhaps their knowledge of this incited what happened next.

Their soft and tender kisses soon gave way to the deep passion of a couple profoundly in love, in heart, and in soul, and body. As tender young lovers they craved the magical rush of hormones that set them afire and clouded their minds with pleasure. Harry’s lips kissed Ginny’s forehead and her temple, only stopping at her ear to gently blow into it. Her body went rigid in his arms and then she gasped loudly into the fire-lit room, arching her spine and exposing her neck to Harry’s mouth.

Around her neck, kissing and licking and nibbling the tender skin. Harry started up the other side of her face when Ginny suddenly pulled away, took Harry’s head in her hands, her face flushed with passion and said forcefully, “love, you’re going in the wrong direction!” Harry smiled and went back to work on her neck, descending this time.

_
___
_


Harry tried to comfort Ginny, but seeing the wild look in her eyes scared him and he let her go. She sat next to him, crying and trying to cover herself, she looked and saw her camisole far on the other side of Harry but did not want to reach for it and touch him accidentally. Finding her blouse half stuffed under the couch she put it on and tried to button it but her hands shook so badly she just wrapped her top around herself as best she could. Trying to say something, Ginny turned to Harry but he would not look back. Then jumping up to go...just go away, she ran smack into Hermione who had, in just the last second, apparated into the living room.

Hermione had felt sick again as she apparated back to the house and sicker still when something plowed into her. It never occurred to her that Harry and Ginny would be there, much less…Oh my god! Ginny was falling backwards, trying to grab the couch for support, her blouse open, exposing herself, and crying. Looking around the room she saw Harry sitting on the floor, knees drawn up with his arms around them, immobile. Hermione was not even sure Harry knew she was there.

Reaching out to help Ginny up she saw the distraught look in her face and said kindly “Let us go upstairs, Gin.” A few minutes later, after Ginny had calmed down some, Hermione was able to get some information out of her about what happened. Poor Ginny, Hermione thought, not a good start. It was almost midnight and Hermione knew Mrs. Weasley was expecting Ginny home soon. Running down the stairs she saw Harry still sitting.

“Harry, Ginny’s okay, don't worry, I'll talk to you tomorrow.” Turning to Hermione, Harry had a “where did you come from” look on his face, he said thanks but stayed where he was.

As Hermione headed upstairs and back to Ginny she heard Ron apparate into the living room and start a conversation with Harry. Going to her desk, Hermione quickly wrote out two brief notes, the first to Molly Weasley.

Mrs. Weasley,

Ginny has fallen asleep here and I don't want to wake her. Can she spend the night with me? Harry and Ron are out somewhere with Fred and George.

Hermione


The second note, addressed to Fred or George said:

Fred and George, DO NOT GO TO YOUR PARENTS’ HOUSE TONIGHT. If anyone asks, you both went out with Ron and Harry all night. I will explain later.

Hermione


Calling for Hedwig, Hermione attached the notes to her leg and instructed her to deliver the note for Fred and George first, and as quickly as possible. Hoping she had defused the situation, Hermione ran downstairs again and told the guys to go to bed, she had everything under control. Ron looked puzzled but that was normal for him. Hermione started back to Ginny, but not before she noticed a familiar look in Harry’s face.

Staying up with Ginny for another hour, Hermione was able to piece together all that had happened. No, Gin, you did not…No, these feelings are common…It’s natural when you do that…You probably just were not ready...Yes, what you described sounds completely natural…Yes, Harry is hard to understand, sometimes, you have to shock him into reality…Ginny, you two love each other to much for this to change things. Slowly the older friend helped the younger understand what had happened, but more importantly, what did not happen. By the end of their conversation Ginny felt immature and foolish about how much she did not know. Now, more embarrassed than anything else, Ginny got up, putting herself back together, hugged Hermione long and hard and went quietly down the stairs into Harry’s room.

Harry had heard someone walking down and hoped it was not Ginny, he did not want to face her until he had sorted out what had happened himself. He’d tried to talk to Ron about it but he refused. So much for a best friend…well, she was his sister.

Harry’s bedroom door opened and he could tell Ginny had come in. He thought about feigning sleep but knew it would not work.

“Harry, are you asleep?” Ginny’s voice was the same soft sound that he loved to hear.

“No, Gin, I'm still up.”

“Harry, I'm so sorry. I…I don't know what happened…I mean, what was happening. Then…I looked in your eyes and just got scared.” Ginny was not crying, Harry noticed, he was happy about that at least. Lying silent for a few seconds Harry took his hand from under the covers and touched Ginny’s arm gently.

“Gin, I know what you mean, this is new for me, too…and…I didn’t understand…” Then Harry paused, apologizing, “I wanted this day to be so special for you. Your birthday…our engagement, I'm sorry I wasn't…”

Ginny gently put her hand on Harry’s mouth. “Shh, no more apologies. We'll get it worked out, love.”

Harry and Ginny sat there without speaking for a long time, each engaged in their own thoughts of their ignorance and what had almost happened. Finally, Ginny moved Harry’s arm and lay down on the bed next to him, sharing the pillow, faces just inches apart. Comforted by the presence of each other they were both asleep in minutes.

When Ron got up the next morning he found a lacey white camisole on the floor.