Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and The Story In The Runes by IHateSnakes

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Harry Potter and The Story In The Runes
A “Fan Fiction” Based on the Harry Potter Series By J. K. Rowling

Chapter 8 - ...You Sometimes Get Burned

Please Read & Review, it makes for better stories! Thank you.



Ron & Hermione

A few days later, the August heat was turning Hog House into an oven, but nothing was going to ruin Harry’s day. He and Ginny had planned a picnic on the school grounds, by the lake, where they first sat as a couple one year before “ a year that had seemed a lifetime ago. Harry heard someone walk down the stairs and into the living room where a familiar face peered down at him.

“Hi, Gin, what’s happening?”

Harry was relaxing on the couch, feet up on the pillows, with his shoes on. Hermione hated when he did that, but it was not Ginny’s concern. Not sure if she should cry, or yell, or both, Ginny started speaking but did not get too far, never having to do this before.

“Harry, its Hermione,” she ventured tentatively.

“She still sick? I can take her up to Healer Vince, he’s open late today, I think.”

“Ah, no, Harry, she doesn’t need a doctor.” Harry, please don’t act as dense as Ron today! Ginny said to herself. Don’t make me say this!

“Oh, ok then.” Harry went back to his magazine.

Ok, try it again, this is going nowhere fast. “Harry?”

“Hmm?”

Oh, forget it! “Harry, Hermione’s pregnant.” Ginny finally spat out.

“Ok…thanks. WHAT?

Harry jumped up as if he had sat on a nail. “Pregnant? Like baby pregnant?”

“Yes, Harry, what other kind of ‘pregnant’ do you know about?”

Ginny was taking her anger out on Harry and it was showing by the sarcasm in her voice.

“And don’t you DARE ask me ‘how did that happen?’” Ginny made, “how did that happen,“ sound like the voice of one of those animated characters on Muggle TV.

“Jeez, Gin. Bugger! Where’s Ron? Does he know?”

“I agree, I don’t know, and No.” At least I got through to him, the guy never curses.

Harry’s mind was reeling. Hermione pregnant? She’s only eighteen, her parents will KILL her. And I’m going to kill Ron, that bloody idiot. “I’m going to find Ron,” Harry finally said.

“I might as well go with you.”

“Oh, thanks for the company. Just leave your wand here, you can have at him after I get through.”

Just as the two started down the hallway, Ron came in the front door. “Hi Harry, hi Gin…what's wrong? You two look mad. Have a fight?”

“Not yet, Ron, come on in and make yourself comfortable,” Harry replied, trying to keep his temper. As Ron walked by them, giving Harry a questioning look, Harry thought it wise to put his arm out in front of Ginny to keep her from lunging at him. Ron sat backwards on a kitchen chair, still with an innocent and questioning look on his face.

“Well, balls-up, Ronny, bloody balls-up,” Ginny screamed, then expelled a string of unusually vile words that had Harry momentarily distracted.

“WHAT?” Ron appeared completely confused and Harry was becoming a little curious about his reaction. Obviously Ron HAD to know that he and Hermione had... Was he really so dense that their behavior towards him did not trigger something in his head? Well, Gin probably thinks so.

Shaking his head, Harry said, “Ginny, can I talk to Ron…alone? Please?”

Ginny was seething, Harry had never seen her this angry, he could actually feel the heat from her flushed-red face radiating out. Get this under control, Potter, fast.

“Please, Gin.” It came out like a plea. Ginny turned around and stomped out of the room and up the stairs, rather immaturely for her age, but Harry ignored it.

“Harry, what’s wrong? I thought Ginny was going to punch you!”

“Ron, I am afraid it’s you she was going to punch, not me.”

“Me? What did I do?”

Ron really doesn’t have a clue, well this should be interesting. “Ron, Hermione’s pregnant.” The words did not even appear to register, at least not on his face. A few seconds passed and Harry asked, “Ron, did you hear me?”

“Yeah, Harry, I heard you.” Ron appeared frozen; the only part of him moving was his eyes darting back and forth, almost like he was a trapped animal looking for an escape. Harry was not sure if he was even breathing.

“Ron, Wha…”

“Harry, it is impossible, Hermione can’t be pregnant, she just can’t be. I mean, she CAN’T be.”

Ron’s voice fell to almost a whisper and Harry could see tears welling up in his eyes. “Hey mate, it's ok.” Ron was beginning to shake and Harry could tell he was on the verge of bawling.

“Let’s go for a walk, I’ll get my invisibility cloak and we can slip out of town unseen. Okay?”

Ron whispered a “yes,” and at the same time continued to shake his head “no.”

Neither said anything under the cloak, which barely covered them any more. Harry was certain Ron’s feet and ankles were showing. Twice Harry heard Ron trying to stop himself from sobbing. Otherwise, they just walked the four blocks to the edge of town and removed the cloak as they came to the edge of a small wooded park.

“Come on, Ron, let’s sit over here.”

“Ron, you two didn’t…you know, mess around when I was gone last month, did you?” Harry asked as soon as they sat.

No reply.

“Ron, when you don’t say something, you say a lot. What have you left out?”

“Harry, Hermione can’t be pregnant, she can’t be!”

“Yes, Ron, so you told me, but she is. What are you not telling me?”

The two friends sat there, unspeaking for a long time, the sun was beginning to set over the hills, and they were getting nowhere. Just as Harry was about to prod Ron again, he spoke.

“Harry, uh, I didn’t think it was possible, but maybe it is.” Ron seemed to settle down once he said that, but he needed to say more.

“Ok, Ron, tell me what happened.”

“Harry, it was my fault, I’ve been pushing Hermione for months, all I wanted was to…”

Ron had blurted out the first part then stopped there, and Harry was relieved, he had never had this sort of conversation before and his “Quidditch butterflies” were flying full speed in his gut.

“…Harry, what we did wouldn’t, I mean, couldn’t…aw bugger me. Harry, we got carried away a little…well, a lot…


_____


After hearing Ron’s confession Harry thought, I REALLY didn’t want to know all this detail. He felt himself getting physically sick at the entire story and Ron’s utter ignorance about male physiology. Then he remembered himself not long ago. “All right, look, Ron…”

“Harry, it was just one time. BUGGER!”

‘Bugger’ is right. Ok, I AM going to kick his arse, or Hermione’s.

“It doesn’t matter, Harry, I’m totally shagged. Hermione’s parents are going to kill me, then my parents are going to kill me. Ginny will probably get in a hit somewhere, too.” Ron was shaking his bowed head.

“I guess so, and you forgot about me killing you, mate.”

Harry tried to end the conversation with a little wit, he was not sure it worked. Well, at least I have Ron’s version of the story, Harry thought. I can’t wait to hear Hermione’s side. Harry was developing a distinct distaste for the idea of sex already; how could it be this problematic? But they had to work this through. Focus on Ron, not yourself, Potter. Harry still felt that Ron and Hermione were made for each other, but there was something about this whole conversation Harry did not understand.

“Ok, mate, let us go home.” Silently, and in plain view, the two friends walked home.

Arriving back at the house as the sun was setting, Harry and Ron walked into the kitchen to see Ginny and Hermione sitting over their uneaten dinner. No one said anything for a very long two minutes. Harry got himself a butter beer and threw a bottle of water to Ron who was trying to look at his sister for some sympathy. Big mistake. He got the dirtiest looks she could produce without using magic. Harry swore he could see Ginny mouth “Bat Bogey” at Ron at least twice. Harry offered a water to Ginny who ignored him and walked over to the cabinet and took a bottle of Fire Whiskey that Fred and George had given him as an advancement present. Harry grabbed it out of her hands before she opened it; he was getting annoyed with Ginny, too, for her immaturity.

“Hermione, I need to talk to you.” Harry said, trying to make his voice sound insistent and sympathetic at the same time, it did not work too well.

“Harry, I do not want to talk to you…or Ron. Just go away.

“No, Hermione, This situation is not going to ‘just go away,’ and I’m not going to ‘just go away.’ Come on out with me. Now!

Something in Harry’s tone of voice must have registered is time; Hermione gave him an ugly look and stood. Without waiting for anything or anyone, she walked past Harry, down the hallway, and out the front door. Since she did not slam the door shut Harry thought that it was an invitation, of sorts, and followed her.

About six blocks later, on the other side of Hogsmeade from where he and Ron had talked, Harry had had enough of Hermione’s attitude. He jogged up behind her and grabbed her arm, turning her around. Knowing Hermione’s temper, Harry was prepared for her hand as she took a swing, trying to slap him.

“Hermione, cut it out, you’re acting childish,” Harry said, a little too forcibly.

“Well, Harry, I’d say my condition proves I’m not a child, wouldn’t you?”

Hermione was…Harry could not read her. Mad, obviously, but there was something else he could not quite make out.

“Child-ish, Hermione, not child-like.” Harry spat back at her. It also was unlike Hermione to miss the nuances in the meanings of those two words. He turned his body to face hers and held on to her shoulders.

“Hermione, look, it is me, Harry. I just want to find out what happened and help you and Ron through this. Ron and I had a long talk and I’ve heard his side of the story. Would you tell me yours? Please?”

Without missing a beat, Hermione lit into Harry. “You want to hear the details from me too? Maybe compare notes? What do you know about this anyway? Ginny says you two haven’t even…you didn’t …”

Hermione could not continue. She realized what she had just said, and in addition to the tone she had used to intentionally hurt Harry, she had also betrayed a confidence of someone who trusted her completely. Her face showed much of this hurt and confusion. Harry quickly looked around for a bench. Seeing one half a street down he led Hermione over to it and sat down with her.

“Look, Hermione, you’re right, I don’t have a clue what I’m doing. The last time I counseled anyone was when I told Hagrid to get rid of Norbert. That one worked, but it was dumb luck. I’m not trying to be your mother or your doctor, but there is something about what happened with you two that I think you’re keeping from me. Hermione, Ron’s bloody awful at hiding things and you’re no pro either. He told me what happened, well, in so many words, so I have just one question for you. Can I ask it without getting punched?”

“Ask, I’ll try to answer.” Hermione offered.

“Hermione, did you intentionally let Ron get you pregnant by telling him not to worry about, ah, you know, what you did?” This is far worse with a woman, Harry thought.

Hermione did not answer for a moment. Harry nudged her a little. “I know you know how to get pregnant, Hermione, you have been throwing those fertility stories at Ron almost daily.” And I used to think it was funny. Still no answer from Hermione, which, Harry guessed, was the answer; she had intentionally let herself get pregnant.

“Why Hermione? Why would you do that to your best friend?” Now she was shaking her head and starting to lose her composure, Harry tried to think quickly for something to say but Hermione got there first.

“No, Harry, I didn’t let myself get pregnant, that was NEVER my intention. You do not know me Harry, we’ve been friends for seven years, but there is a part of me you could never know. I think Ginny might understand because she’s a lot more like that part of me.”

“Er, I am not really following this, Hermione. What are you trying to tell me?” Harry was really confused now, not that it surprised him.

“Harry, you and Ginny and Ron and almost everyone else tiptoe around, pretending passion and…” Harry could tell Hermione was having a difficult time talking about these personal subjects. “…arousal…only happen in the bed of a married couple when all the lights are out. I thought that way, Harry, but Ron and I got carried away and it just happened. I don’t know how else to explain it without going into the details, I just lost control, and I’m not used to that. Ron was out of control from the first kiss and I thought I could handle that, but I didn’t...expect my own reactions...and together, it just…”

Hermione could not continue; she was reliving something that should have been wonderful but had turned into a disaster. Harry knew that feeling, but this was a far more personal conversation than he had ever had with someone, even Ginny after their little debacle. Harry was becoming uncomfortable to the point of feeling ill again, and wanted to stop talking, but he knew he could not, just yet.

“Have you talked to your mother about any of these feelings?” He did not know what else to say, and he certainly did not want to hear more.

“Harry, don’t be a clod, of course not. You saw my father when he told Ron he knew we were dating. How do you think he would like this?”

Harry was starting to realize all that had happened and how it snowballed out of control. But knowing what and why was not going to answer the real question: Where do they go now?

“Ok, Hermione, let’s go back to Hog…to the house and take it from there.” Harry stood and held out his hand for Hermione. After a moment she took it and they started back.

A few streets later Harry asked, “How long have you known, about being pregnant, I mean?”

“I missed my last period, if you must know. And I haven’t missed one since I was eleven. You can set a clock by my cycle.” It was a poor attempt at humor but Harry was glad to see some progress.

“How about Ginny, have you talked with her about it?”

“Not really, when I told her she got so angry with Ron I was more concerned for him than myself.” Hermione smiled at Harry, both knew Ginny’s temper.

That was the first time Harry had heard her say something positive about Ron in hours. Hoping he could help it continue he tried to push a little. “Hermione, you and Ron need to talk, tonight. And you need to do it calmly and honestly. I know you two love each other and Ron feels terrible and guilty, too. Please give it a go, Hermione.” She just nodded her head and kept walking.


The next morning when Harry was prodded awake by Ginny he asked her if she had seen Ron or Hermione, while he looked for his glasses.

“No, but I haven’t looked, either. Harry, mom doesn’t know I’m here. I have to go soon.

“Ok, let me hit the loo and we’ll look for trouble together.” Harry headed for the bathroom and noticed Ginny following him.

“Gin, can I take a leak, please?” Trying to be comical, he waved “bye-bye” as he pushed the door shut. When he was finished, he washed and started to brush his teeth; the bathroom door opened and Ginny stuck her head in.

“Harry, do you really feel like looking for trouble?”

“Nah, but we need to.”

“Ron’s not in his room and his bed hasn’t been slept in, at least I don’t think it has, it’s hard to tell.” Hermione and Ginny’s continual nagging about their cleanliness was a never-ending irritation, but Harry took the news in silence.

Walking to Ron’s room, Harry looked in, not really wanting to believe he was not there. Seeing it empty, Ginny gave him a, “you didn’t believe me?” look, and pointed upstairs. Harry got the message and they started walking quietly up. About half-way up Harry stopped and turned to Ginny, chuckling quietly.

“Ron’s up here, I can hear him snoring.”

“Wonderful.”

“Let me look, Gin, I’ll be back in a minute.” Harry started to move then looked back with a devilish grin, “If Hermione’s naked I might be a bit longer.” Harry quickly resumed his climb but almost yelped when Ginny smacked his bum, hard.

Hermione’s door was open and Harry could see inside to her bed. Ron and Hermione were both sound asleep, and next to each other. Hermione was on her back with her head toward Ron and Ron was on his left side with his right hand on Hermione’s abdomen. Both wore the clothes they had on yesterday. The sight was both moving and beautiful to Harry, he suspected that they would be alright. When he told Ginny, she walked up the stairs and returned with the same opinion, adding that the situation would probably get a lot worse before it got better.

Harry silently agreed.


A/N: This section was originally more explicit but I toned it down to a teen level for two reasons. First, I did not want a distracting sex scene that would heighten the rating. Second, I hope it gives my teenaged readers something important to ponder, particularly Hermione’s comments to Harry about her difficulty with self-control. The title of this chapter says it all.