Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Transformations by Starmaiden

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Chapter Two is now in its final, highly improved state!


Disclaimer, disclaimer, disclaimer.

All quotes are from OotP, p. 27 – 62, American hardcover.

*****

Remus’ thoughts jumped to another girl, one not sitting at the bedside. The thought that Bill would now lose Fleur was the hardest of all. Despite the girl’s airs, Remus had caught her exchanging glances with Bill when they thought no one was looking, glances that put Remus’ initial fears at rest. No, the thought of Bill being deserted was hard because Remus knew exactly what it felt like to lose someone because of a “furry little problem.”

***

Tonks sat with Sirius, Remus, Hermione Granger, and Ginny Weasley at the long kitchen table of number twelve, Grimmauld Place. There had been a short Order meeting and the five of them had gathered for a companionable chat. Right now, they were talking about Hogwarts.

“I almost wish I could go back, you know,” Tonks confided, and took a sip of hot chocolate. “It was home for a really long time.”

At the mention of home, Ginny glanced almost involuntarily at the clock on the wall. Seven hands rested on “home,” but Arthur Weasley’s still pointed to “work.” She sighed.

Tonks followed her gaze. “Dumbledore had some things he needed help on. He did say it might take a while.” Dumbledore had made only the briefest of appearances at the meeting before leaving again.

Remus was about to say something when there was a pop and Arthur Weasley appeared, spinning in the fireplace. Ginny leaped up eagerly, but her father forestalled her greeting. “Sirius. There’s bad news.”

Sirius’ face went white. “Harry?” His first fear was always that something had happened to the one remaining person he really cared for. Tonks reached up in a placating motion, but Arthur’s next words froze her in place.

Arthur’s face was almost as pale as Sirius’. “He’s been attacked by dementors.”

There was a moment’s ringing silence, which Arthur took advantage of. He hurried on before they could start shouting. “As soon as the report hit the Ministry, Fudge jumped on it. He had Harry expelled.”

Ginny shrieked, “He what?” The others jumped in and her father raised his voice to be heard over the clamour. “We were lucky Dumbledore was there. He – reminded – Fudge that the Ministry isn’t allowed to expel students. Harry still has to attend a disciplinary hearing, that’s only to be expected with such a piece of magic, but he’ll get off fine, he can’t be punished for saving his own life. The only worry now is that he might try to leave, though I warned him not to.”

Sirius leaped up, rummaging through the drawers lining the kitchen. He found a small piece of parchment and a self-inking quill and scribbled furiously for a few seconds, bent over the table. Then he dashed out of the room, for an owl, Tonks guessed, muttering something about reckless teenagers.

Arthur made a hasty exit back to the Ministry, leaving the room in a minor state of shock. After a moment, Remus stood. “I hope Mad-Eye’s still around. I think we’ll be paying a visit to the Dursleys’ fairly soon.” Tonks nodded, the shock on her face already fading into determination. The two left, leaving the teenagers silent.

***

Moody chose a small park down the street from Privet Drive as the Apparition point. The nine of them landed almost simultaneously, each holding tightly to a broomstick. Moody was already directing them towards one of the large, square houses (though it looked to Tonks like all the others), his magical eye spinning insanely.

The windows were dark. Moody inspected the lock on the door and tapped it, muttering about inefficient Muggle devices as the door clicked open. He was the first into the hall, darting in all directions, the others pouring in behind. They paused breathlessly; then Tonks jumped as Moody growled, “Spread out, check the ground floor. Make sure there isn’t anything that’ll attack us.”

Tonks slipped into the kitchen, Remus following. Tonks’ eyes skipped over the countertops, shining dully even in the dark.

“All clear?”

His voice came from immediately behind her right ear. Tonks yelped, jumped, tripped, grabbed at the table for support, and caught hold of a dinner plate instead. She heard a startled “Sorry!” before the plate hit the tiled floor and shattered into the proverbial thousand pieces. Tonks almost followed. Remus caught her, barely, before she hit the floor.

Remus tried to apologise as he set her back up. “Tonks, I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to make you jump like that—”

“It’s okay. Thanks.”

The rest of the Order poured into the kitchen, cutting short further expressions of regret.

“Are you –”

“What happened?”

“You okay?”

“What in Merlin’s name –”

“Tonks, what’d you do?”

“Got to make a dramatic entrance, I see.”

“Of course,” Tonks retorted. “No ultra-secret vital mission is complete until I fall flat on my – ”

“He’s up!” barked Moody. The Order stampeded back into the hallway after him.

Tonks got stuck in the shuffle and didn’t see Harry emerge. When she finally got out of the door into the unlit hallway, she promptly fell over her own feet. “Why are we all standing here in the dark? Lumos.”

Tonks’ wand lit up. Harry – and most of the Advance Guard – blinked at the sudden flare. Tonks watched as a shaky, but genuine, smile lit the boy’s face.

“Oooh, he looks just like I thought he would.” Tonks, realizing she had spoken aloud, added quickly, “Wotcher, Harry!”

Now that they were here, Moody was evidently having second thoughts. “Are you quite sure it’s him, Lupin? It’d be a nice lookout if we bring back some Death Eater impersonating him. We ought to ask him something only the real Potter would know. Unless anyone brought any Veritaserum?” Then again, maybe it was Moody’s peculiar brand of humour. Tonks was never entirely sure.

To his credit, Remus didn’t smile as he said, “Harry, what form does your Patronus take?”

“A stag.” It was nervous, but sure. Tonks remembered something Sirius had said about James. Interesting.

“That’s him, Mad-Eye,” Remus said. A few brave souls had begun calling Moody by his nickname after Tonks’ slip at Headquarters a few weeks ago. It was spreading quickly, now that they had realized he didn’t mind.

Harry finally came down the stairs, looking nervous, and put his wand in the back pocket of his jeans. He started when Moody roared out, “Don’t put your wand there, boy! What if it ignited? Better wizards than you have lost buttocks, you know!”

Tonks couldn’t resist. “Who d’you know who’s lost a buttock?”

As the group moved into the kitchen, Remus patiently answered Harry’s questions and explained the next steps of the plan.

Harry asked anxiously, “We are leaving, aren’t we? Soon?”

Remus replied calmly, “Almost at once, we’re just waiting for the all-clear.” They were moving into the kitchen now, and Remus introduced the other eight members of the rescue team.

“And this is Nymphadora –”

Tonks cut him off quickly. “Don’t call me Nymphadora, Remus. It’s Tonks.” Remus, so proper – he always insisted on introducing her by her full name. It was polite, to be sure, but it always led to so much confusion when she didn’t really like the name anyway. Remus had old-fashioned ideas about propriety. Sweet, to be sure, but old-fashioned.

Remus continued smoothly, “– Nymphadora Tonks, who prefers to be known by her surname only.” There was the barest hint of amusement in his voice.

“So would you if your fool of a mother had called you ‘Nymphadora’, ” Tonks retorted. She looked around at the various bits of machinery, marvelling at the utter helplessness of Muggles. Harry threw a covert glance around himself as he handed Moody a glass of water. With a start, Tonks realized she was staring and wrenched her gaze away, searching for something to keep her from gawking at Harry. She watched Remus, who was checking the window, instead. He was as cautious as Moody in his own way – not paranoid, but careful. Tonks reflected that she much preferred that to Moody’s twitchiness.


Remus watched as Tonks followed Harry up the stairs, looking around with interest and talking a mile a minute. Harry was not the boy Remus had met two years ago. That boy had been full of life and adventure. Remus suspected that the events of a month past had driven that sense of adventure out of him. Perhaps Tonks would be able to talk to him, to show him the sense of wonder at the world that she had somehow managed to retain. Granted, Tonks had never seen death first-hand, but she was an Auror and knew what she worked against. Remus wondered, not for the first time, how she had done it. He pushed that firmly out of his mind to write a note to the Dursleys.

Remus was just sealing the letter when Tonks and Harry came downstairs. “Excellent. We’ve got about a minute, I think. We should probably get out into the garden so we’re ready. Harry, I’ve left a letter telling your aunt and uncle not to worry –”

“They won’t.

“That you’re safe –”

“That’ll just depress them.”

“—and you’ll see them next summer.”

“Do I have to?”

Remus smiled, but the smile touched his mouth only. Harry sounded dead serious, especially with the last question. A flash of pink caught his eye and he looked up at Tonks, who was frowning at Harry. Remus could see something similar to his own thoughts crossing her face. The pictures – or lack thereof – on the mantelpiece spoke poignantly of something that disturbed them both.

Moody was briefing Harry on the procedure. “—If one of us is killed –”

“Is that likely?” Harry looked rather taken aback.

Tonks shook her bubble-gum pink head. “Stop being so cheerful, Mad-Eye, he’ll think we’re not taking this seriously.”

“No one’s going to die.” That was Kingsley, his deep voice soothing over Moody’s growls. Remus silently blessed the man’s timing. Harry was nervous enough already. Then the red sparks flared overhead.

“Mount your brooms, that’s the first signal!” That, he knew, was Sirius. Sirius had been allowed to set the signals, but was allowed no more than the flight out and back. The risk of him being seen was too much for anything else.

Green sparks. Sirius would be watching to see them off. Once they were in the air, he was to report back. “Second signal, let’s go!”

Harry did as he was told, rising quickly (Sirius had really chosen well with that Firebolt) and following Tonks. She had been a reserve chaser for the Gryffindor Quidditch team at Hogwarts and it still showed. She followed Moody’s directions easily, less clumsy in the air—possibly because there were fewer things to knock over.

Remus and six others swooped continually around Harry, wands ready. Tonks and Moody stayed just before and behind Harry. They did not plan to die, but the truth was that there was more danger than Harry knew. If one Death Eater had been watching the house and thought now would be a good time to attack the Dark Lord’s greatest enemy…

*

They were almost there. They had been flying for almost an hour, though it seemed twice that with the cold. Remus peered down and saw the last landmark. He opened his mouth to let Moody know it was there, but Moody cut him off.

“We ought to double back for a bit, just to make sure we’re not being followed!” Remus shivered. Typical Mad-Eye!

Tonks’ broom jumped. “ARE YOU MAD, MAD-EYE? We’re all frozen to our brooms! If we keep going off course we’re not going to get there until next week! We’re nearly there now!”

“Time to start the descent!” Remus jumped in before Moody could shout back. “Follow Tonks, Harry!” Moody glowered, but the glare was somewhat less effective when he was shivering so hard his broom was quivering. It was only a half-hearted glare in any case.

Five more minutes and they were in front of the house. Moody pulled Dumbledore’s deluminator from his cloak and quickly turned off every light on the block. Remus paused to help Tonks grab Harry’s trunk. When she fumbled her end, he took Hedwig’s cage, too. She glared, but only for a moment. With the others flanking them, they marched across the street.

Harry was already reading the bit of parchment with Dumbledore’s thin, loopy handwriting covering it. After a moment, he looked up, concentrating, and Remus watched amazement spread over his face. The others, already in the know, could see the house, but to Harry it had simply appeared.

Moody sent the little orange lights back to their streetlamps before shutting the door and lighting the gas lamps. Harry had barely time to look around before Molly Weasley hurried out of the door that led to the kitchen, where the Order held meetings. She hugged Harry hard, murmuring quietly; Remus distinctly heard something about “feeding up”.

Turning to the others, she whispered, “He’s just arrived, the meeting’s started…”

“Finally,” Moody growled. Kingsley’s mouth twisted wryly as they moved towards the door. Tonks grimaced. Remus smiled at her.

“Oh come, he won’t eat you.”

Tonks paused and screwed up her face, turning her hair long, black, and greasy. “You sure?”

Remus laughed very quietly as she restored it to pink and they moved into the kitchen together.


*****

A/N: This chapter has been edited into its final state. Thanks to: Alison-Scribbly for pointing out mistakes and helping me patch plotholes; rita_skeeter, who Brit-picked this chapter for me; and to the many lovely readers who keep me writing!