Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry and The Love by rockeye

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 13 Lessons of Life

The four were eating lunch when Harry asked, “Ginny, is everything okay?”

“Of course, why do you ask?”

“Why were you and Mum meeting in Professor McGonagall’s office? Since you haven’t mentioned it, I was just wondering if something was wrong.”

“No, everything is okay. How did you know Mum was here?”

Harry began, “You know this ‘Marauder’s Map’ thing we all have? Well the last couple of weeks, I have been able to include the family. It isn’t automatic like with you three. I really have to focus to determine where everyone is. Plus, all I get are images like I used to get from Tom. I haven’t been able to talk to anyone like we do.”

Hermione spoke up, “That’s great, Harry! Can you tell us what everyone is doing right now?”

Harry put his fork and knife down and closed his eyes. “Let’s see, Dad is at the Ministry. He is exiting the Loo and someone just asked him a question. Mum is at the Burrow in the kitchen. I have a hard time with Charlie being so far away sometimes. Mmmm….Charlie appears to be attending to a wounded dragon. Bill is with Fleur. They are outside Gringotts. Wait, they are traveling and they just arrived at the Burrow. I can never get a good read on Percy. All I can tell you is that he is at the Ministry. Fred and George…are sitting at a table poolside with Angelina and Alicia.”

Harry opened his eyes and addressed Ginny and Ron, “Did the twins say anything to you two about going to the Isle of Wright?” Both Ginny and Ron shook their heads.

Hermione squeaked, “That’s a popular spot for honeymooners! Do you think they eloped?”

Chuckling, Ron said, “Mum is going to hex them beyond hope if they did.”

Harry jumped in, “I don’t get that impression. It seems more like they are on holiday.”

“What about my parents? Can you do that with them?” Hermione demanded.

“I just started trying to connect with them. Let me try.” Harry closed his eyes again and was silent for a few minutes. “Okay, found your dad. He is at their office and he is…” Harry snapped his eyes open, “Uh…they are fine, Hermione.” Harry face was turning a bright red.

“Harry, what is wrong? I know you, Harry. You are not telling me something.” Hermione was glaring at Harry.

“I’m telling you that they are fine!”

“I’m going to Professor McGonagall. I need to contact my parents,” Hermione said as she started to rise out of her seat.

Harry exploded in a loud whisper, “Hermione, sit down! They are fine. Nothing is wrong, they are making love…” Harry realized what he just told her, quickly looked at Ron. Ron had his hand over his mouth trying to keep the mashed potatoes he just put into mouth from sailing across the room. Ginny had buried her face into Harry’s chest and was laughing so hard that she was shaking Harry.

Showing his Gryffindor bravery, Harry stole a glance at Hermione. Hermione’s face was white, her eyes completely round. Harry noticed she was not blinking either and her mouth was agape. After several long seconds, Hermione closed her mouth, and then her eyes returned to normal.

“You…you…saw…my parents…”

“Yes,” Harry whisper, quietly this time. “I’m sorry, Hermione.” Talking to himself but loud enough the other three heard him, Harry said, “I got to find a way not to do that again.” Harry noticed Hermione start to get that look she used to have when she was getting ready to have a big row with Ron.

“You have never done that to me and Ron, have you?”

“No. Never. I swear.”

Hermione slowly returned to normal. By the end of the meal, she actually cracked a small joke about the incident. Harry, Ginny, and Ron all gave a polite little giggle at the comment knowing anything more would bring the wrath of Hermione down on them. Harry completely forgot the fact that Molly had been at Hogwarts and the discussion he was having with Ginny.

A couple days later, the two young couples had just sat down to breakfast when it happened. Harry had just grabbed his pumpkin juice when he felt a searing pain in his head and Hagrid was giving him a birthday cake. Harry recognized the warning indicator from his Occlumency training. Harry’s body went very rigid. Ginny was the first to notice something was wrong with Harry as his presence in her mind dimmed alarmingly. Ginny reached out with her hand and her mind. Her hand found his arm and her mind found Harry is a desperate fight for his mind. Ginny yelled, “Hermione…Ron help me!” Ron and Hermione both joined with Ginny and starting helping her help Harry.

Harry felt Ginny’s presence grow as Ron and Hermione joined her. Harry realized that their presence was comforting.

”We meet again young Potter. I see you finally learned Occlumency. I guess that Muggle-loving fool taught you?” Tom sent another searing pain at Harry’s barrier which deflected the jab easily this time.

Harry was just about to sent his own probe at Tom when Ginny yelled, ”Stop, Harry. Don’t let him know you have been taught Legilimency.”

“Hello Tom, actually a Dumbledore did teach me Occlumency. Those headaches were becoming such an annoyance, among other things. ”
Once again Tom sent a probe at Harry who again pushed it aside. ”Not today, Tom. I’m really am tired of your games. Is there something you wish to talk to me about because I would like to finish my breakfast now,” Harry mocked. Tom sent one last probe at Harry before leaving Harry’s mind.

When Harry felt Tom’s presence completely vanish, he turned to Ginny, Ron, and Hermione, ”Thank you.” Laughing he continued, “That was fun! Why did you stop me, Ginny?”

“I thought we should keep it a secret that you had been taught Legilimency for a little while longer,” Ginny stated.

“But Ginny, he knows it now. I just talked to him.”

“Harry, he was talking in your mind. You were not using your ability to go into his mind. Tom is so arrogant that he may just not realize that you are a Legimillens.”

“Harry, Ginny has a good point. I’m sure Tom thinks you have a very limited ability. Remember Aberforth told us it is unusual for witches and wizards to master Occlumency and Legilimency in as short of time as we did,” Hermione reminded Harry.

Ginny continued, “Besides, I was probing his mind while Tom was fighting with you.”

Shocked, Harry could only said, “Oh!”

Ginny continued, “I was able to find a hole in his barrier.”

Ron jumped in, “A hole, I don’t believe it.”

Ginny clarified, “Well, think about it, Tom is always using Legilimency but rarely has to use Occlumency. I bet the only time Tom has used it was against Dumbledore in the M.O.M. and Harry. I think he has gotten a little lax in his Occlumency due to the lack of probes from Harry and anyone else. Also, I was able to confirm Tom is in the Chamber.”

Everyone was silent for a few minutes until Harry directed, “Okay, Ron. Get your plans finalized and then get with Ginny and start working on a training program. Hermione, I hate to reveal the fact of the Horcruxes to anyone else, but I think you need to go talk with Professor McGonagall. There has to be more information out there than what Professor Slughorn knows. Tom learned about Horcruxes from someone or someplace.”

Grinning, Harry then announced, “I have got to go or the teacher will be late for his own class!”


Harry got up, kissed Ginny, and headed for the D.A.D.A. classroom and some very young first years.

When Harry got to the classroom, he found the first year students from Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff already seated and very quiet. Harry called out ‘Good Morning’ and the class shocked him by replying ‘Good Morning, Professor Potter’.

“Thank you, but I’m not a Professor. Just call me Harry,” he informed the class. A girl in the front row slowly raised her hand. “Yes, Miss…”

“Amy Fowler sir,” she informed Harry.

“Do you have a question Miss Fowler?” inquired Harry.

“No sir, but I think you should be aware that Professor Lupin gave us instructions to call you Professor Potter sir,” Miss Fowler stated.

”I’m going to get him for this. This is not a very good prank Remus,” Harry thought.

“Okay, well since Professor Lupin is the teacher and I’m just a guest, then we shall do it his way,” Harry laughed. Harry heard a few giggles from the class. Looking at Professor Lupin’s lesson plan, Harry was surprised to only see the word ‘review’ for all of his classes today. Harry looked up and asked, “Professor Lupin wants us to review what you have learned up until now, so can anyone tell me what you have studied so far?”

Again, Miss Fowler’s hand went into the air. Harry chuckled to himself, ”Another Hermione,” Harry thought.

“Professor Potter, did you really kill a mountain troll by yourself on your first day at Hogwarts?” Miss Fowler quizzed Harry.

”Remus, I’m really going to get you for this. I’m going to be answering questions all day!”

“No Miss Fowler, I had been here a couple of months and I was with Ron Weasley...” Harry’s prediction was very accurate. Every class went the same way, the students asking the questions and the teacher answering them

By the time Harry returned to the suite common room, he was tired of talking. He kissed Ginny and then poured himself a glass of sunflower juice, drank it, and then drank another glass full. “I don’t think I ever talked so much in my life,” Harry relayed to Ginny who was chuckling.

Harry was prepared for the first years the next day. He divided the class into groups of three and told them they were going to duel. He told them that each group would duel with another group and they could only use spells and charms that they had learned so far in school. The winners would be the one group with the most still standing.

Harry cleared the desks away. Harry then called the first two groups forward and prepared them to start. When Harry signaled the start of the duel, he was mildly amazed at the number of spells that went flying between the two groups. Within seconds, all six students were incapacitated from a mixture of spells. Harry sent the counter spells and then called the next two groups forward. These two groups both decided to play defensively, two students blocking spells while only one sent spells at the other group. This duel lasted almost ten minutes before one student was left.

Harry then called the next two groups. When the duel started, one group chose to do the defensive way while the other went all out. Within minutes there was two students standing and Harry called a halt. Harry continued the duels until all the groups had participated. Harry then told the students that their homework was to think about what they saw and be prepared to answer questions about it tomorrow. Harry dismissed the class and went to find Ginny.

The third day of Harry’s first teaching week was just the opposite of the first day. Harry was asking the questions instead of the students. Harry spent the whole class discussing the advantages and disadvantages of the ways the groups conducted their duels. Near the end of class, Harry asked, “Okay which way is the best to fight a duel with Death Eaters?” No one wanted to answer the question. Slowly, Miss Fowler raised her hand. “Yes, Miss Fowler. Do you have an answer?”

“Yes, Professor Potter,” she timidly said, “Uh…well…none! We are not fighting a duel. We are fighting a war!”

Harry beamed, “Correct, Miss Fowler. There will be no bowing, no restrictions on the kinds of spells and charms to use, or how many will attack you. You have to be prepared for anything, willing to act first, and ready to assume the responsibility of someone getting hurt.” Harry let the silence hang there for a second before continuing, “Right, Professor Lupin will be back tomorrow and I just want to say I had fun teaching you these last three days. Class dismissed.”

Harry and the others were so busy with their schoolwork, helping with Professor Lupin’s classes, Quidditch, the Order, and the D.A. meetings that by mid-October, all were ready for the first Hogsmeade weekend. Harry had asked and received permission for the four to spend the weekend at the Burrow. Molly greeted them at the door and told them to go to the parlor. She informed them that breakfast would be ready in a few minutes.

When Molly went to get the teens, she found all four asleep. Ron and Hermione were on the rug in front of the fireplace while Harry and Ginny were on the sofa. Molly went back to the kitchen, put a warming charm on the food, and got out her knitting.

Ron was the first to awake. Hermione was lying in just the right position for Ron to be able to kiss Hermione’s lips lightly. After the second kiss, Hermione unconsciously moved just enough for Ron to make the kisses fuller. By the second kiss this time Hermione was fully awake and was kissing Ron back. Ron and Hermione were just getting to some serious snogging when Ginny whispered in a loud voice, “Please go to your room.” It was a show of comfort between the four that Ron and Hermione finished the kiss before breaking apart.

Molly, hearing voices in the parlor called to the teens, “Breakfast is ready.” Ginny was laughing under her breath watching Ron having an internal fight with himself, ”Food or kissing”he thought over and over. Finally, Hermione mentioned that she was hungry.

After the meal, Ron asked Harry to go outside and help him de-gnome the garden. After they went through the door, Molly asked, “I wonder what that is about, especially since I didn’t ask him to de-gnome the garden.” The ladies had just finished cleaning up from the meal and were sitting at the table drinking a cup of tea.

Hermione blushed, “I think I know what Ron wants to talk about.” Both Molly and Ginny looked at Hermione with eager faces. “Well, huh…Mum how would you like to be a grandmother?” Molly choked on her tea. Both Ginny and Hermione started towards her when she waved them away.

Molly asked in a very reserved voice, “Are you pregnant?”

“No. Ron and I have been talking about it. Ron would like for us to start a family now while I want to wait. Last month it was I who wanted to start a family while Ron wanted to wait. Oh Mum, we are so confused,” Hermione cried as she laid her head down on the table.

Molly reached over and patted Hermione on the arm, “Dear, if you both are that confused, then it is best to wait.”

Ginny spoke out, “Well I’m not confused! I’ve been trying to get pregnant since August.”

Molly responded with, “Ginny, you are too young!”

Ginny shouted back, “Mum, quit saying I’m too young. I am NOT too young. Besides I have a valid point about having Harry’s baby. If Harry dies in the coming battle,” Ginny spoke through tears. “The Potter name will die with him. I will not let that happen like it did with Sirius’ name!” Ginny jumped up and was headed for the stairs when Molly called her. Ginny stopped and stood still shaking with fear for Harry.

Molly went over and wrapped Ginny in her arms. Slowly Ginny’s crying turned to sniffles and then to deep breathing. Molly spoke softly but loud enough for Hermione to hear, “I’m sorry Ginny. One of these days you will know how hard it is to realize that your baby is no longer a baby.” Molly slowly led Ginny back to the table and sat her down. “Gin, I was just trying to protect you. Being a widower is hard enough, but to be a widower with a small child is worst.”

“I have thought about this a lot, Mum.” Ginny forced a smile on to her face. “I have eight brothers and sisters and you and Dad to help me. Plus, I can sit in this house for the rest of my life and never spend all the Galleons that Grorn tells us we have. The only thing I want is to have Harry’s baby and continue his family’s name.”

Molly began, “Ginny, you will have plenty of time for a family. Every time I see Harry, Ron, Hermione, and you, I can see how much your confidence and your powers have grown. Every day my fear for Harry’s and your safety is a little less. Harry will return to us, Ginny!”

Harry and Ron walked into the kitchen. Ginny quickly rose up and went to Harry. Harry could tell Ginny had been crying. Harry wrapped his arms around her. Molly noted how perfectly Ginny fitted into Harry’s arms. Molly watched Harry and Ginny while holding back her own tears of jealousy. Molly knew that while Ginny might need her arms for some comfort once in a while, it would be Harry’s arms firstly that Ginny would go to find peace and love. Suddenly, Harry scooped up Ginny and carried her up the stairs.

”Honey, what’s was that all about?”

“Nothing, Ron. Ginny is just having a bad day.”

“Uh…Oh, her time of the month?”

“RONALD! Why do you always think it is THAT when a girl is in a bad mood?” Hermione whispered.

Ron quickly realized his mistake and tried to defuse the pending argument by saying “Okay, she is just in a bad mood.”

Hermione let Ron off the hook and asked, “What did you and Harry talk about?””

“Nothing.”

“Ron, was it about us starting a family?”

“Nothing Hermione, okay?”

“What did Harry have to say, Ron?”

“Okay, he thought it was a great idea. He and Ginny want to start a family too, but only after Tom is defeated.”

“Ginny said that they were trying to start a family now!”

“What? Harry said they wanted to wait.” Ron started to chuckle. “Merlin, they need to talk.”

Hermione smiled, “What about us?”

“What about us?”

“Do you still want to start a family?” Hermione asked shyly.

“Of course I do. We both agreed not to use the Conception Protection Charm.”

“I know, but I thought it would have happen by now!”

“Well, me too… unless…”

“Unless what Ron?”

“Uh…maybe something is wrong. I mean you were really messed up in the Minister of Magic with that spell.”


“Madam Pomfrey told me I was completely healed. Why are you just assuming it is me with the problem why I am not pregnant?” Hermione said loudly.

“I’m a Weasley and Weasley’s have never had a problem having a family,” Ron said louder. “That is why I think you should go see a healer, Hermione.”

“If I’m going to a healer then so are you. It may not be me that is having the problem. Maybe those brains did something to you!” Hermione said almost shouting.

“Ronald…Hermione, you have been married only a few months. Give it time,” Molly said calmly.

Ron and Hermione both jumped. Neither had realized that they were talking aloud, instead of to each other. Hermione watched Ron blush all the way down into his shirt. Finally, Hermione said, “Yes, Mum. Will you please excuse us? We need to go upstairs for a minute.”

“Of course, Hermione,” Molly said with a very well-placed smile on her face. Molly watched her youngest son and newest daughter head up the stairs. As soon as she heard their door close, the smile vanished from her face to be replaced with look of confusion. ”What is going on here? Neither one had a wand out so I know there were no charms used. Why didn’t I hear the first and middle parts of that conversation?” she questioned. “It took many years of being married for Arthur and me to have that kind of nonverbal communication. Something is going on here and I am going to find out what,” Molly vowed to herself.

The students were mildly surprised Monday morning at breakfast when Professor McGonagall rose. The Great Hall was silent as she began to speak. “I am pleased to announce that we will be having a dance after the Halloween Feast this year. Also, all students will be able to attend.” The Great Hall began buzzing with the hundreds of conversations.

Professor McGonagall called, “Quiet, please. I have one more announcement. Professor Lupin, along with the D.A. leaders will be conducting three days of classes during the Christmas break. If you wish to attend these classes, the Hogwarts Express will be running on Boxing Day. Please see your head of house to sign up and get your permission forms.” Harry was unsure which announcement produced the greater excitement.

At the next class of D.A.D.A. that Harry was teaching, a hand went up close to the end of classes. “Yes, Mr. Smith,” Harry addressed the first year. Harry saw Ginny slip into the back of the class just as Mr. Smith spoke.

“Professor Potter, how do you ask a girl to a dance?”

Harry stumbled. “Well, first don’t be scared like I was. Second, ask the girl as soon as possible before someone else does. Third and last, don’t give up if the first one is already been asked. My first choice was already taken, the second person, who should have been the first, was taken too. The third girl I asked was glad to be my date.” Harry looked over to Ginny who was fighting not to laugh.

“Professor Potter,” Mr. Smith appealed. “But, what do you say?”

“Oh that is easy.” Harry slowly walked to the back of the classroom stopping next to Ginny. Every student turned to watch Harry as he approached Ginny. Smiling, Harry bowed slightly to Ginny. “Mrs. Potter, would you be so kind to accept my invitation to be my date for the Halloween dance?”

Ginny’s eyes were shining when she answered, “Of course, Mr. Potter. I would love to be your date for the Halloween dance.” Harry and Ginny heard lots of giggling from the girls.

“Thank you, Mrs. Potter,” Harry replied. Turning back to the class Harry said, “What to say is the easy part. The hard part is actually saying the words to the witch of your choice. Class dismissed.”

A/N Chapter 14 Percy