Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

When It Seems Like All Is Lost by KateH

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: This is my first fic. Hope you like it. Please leave a review. I would like to know what you think of it (I don't mind constructive criticism). Thanks...
“What you do

No one can decide it's up to you

And who you are is what you choose

These times when the world falls apart

Make us who we are”



-Lyrics from “The End Has Only Begun” by Lifehouse



Disclaimer: I own none of this world. It belongs to J.K. R. Thank you for letting my mind wander...



Chapter One/Prologue: Loss of Hope





He was sitting in a hallway at St. Mungo’s Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries. He had destroyed all of the horcruxes and the Final Battle had just taken place. He looked horrible. He was bleeding badly and could not move at all. It was a wonder that he even reached the hospital at all. His breathing was deep and heavy. He would not and could not move from the spot where he was sitting. Harry Potter was just as stubborn as ever, even though he was so close to dying.



The last few hours had taken a great toll on him as he sat in disbelief. The story of what had happened was just playing repeatedly in his head. Harry had spent the last year looking and destroying the remaining horcruxes. During that time, he wasn’t sure when, he and Ginny had gotten back together. She gave him strength and hope. Their lives took a terrible turn, however, after Harry had finally destroyed the last horcrux. Harry’s greatest fear had come true. Voldemort discovered Harry’s feelings toward Ginny. Apparently, Voldemort was having difficulty finding Harry or capturing him. As a result, Voldemort kidnapped and tortured Ginny, instead. Voldemort hoped that Harry would come looking for her. He was right.



It took Harry about three days to find Ginny. It was no easy task and he had trouble concentrating. He had no idea how much Ginny had been tortured and he could not stop himself from worrying. When he found them, Ginny was barely conscious. Harry had found out that the Death Eaters had been using any curse necessary to try to get information out of her. All of their attempts failed because she did not speak to them. As soon as he helped her to safety, Harry went for revenge. In the process, he killed Voldemort. The Death Eaters fled the scene after seeing the fall of Lord Voldemort, their master. Harry Potter left with an unconscious Ginny and what was left of the Order of the Phoenix.



As these memories replayed in his head, Harry started to shake violently. He knew that the Healers were doing their best for Ginny, but Harry’s hope was fading. It felt like the first time in his life that he could not do anything to help. Then he remembered being frozen while he watched his headmaster die last year. Then came the memory of Sirius flowed back, followed by Cedric and then his parents. Tears were falling from his eyes now. There was no point in remembering these things at this moment. He knew why they happened. He knew that those things were all his fault. He knew that everything was always his fault and there was nothing that he could do.



All of these thoughts rushed through his mind. He didn’t even notice when someone had put a hand on his shoulder. He never looked up, not wanting to acknowledge anything at this point and he was on the verge of losing hope of anything. He did here her when she spoke and he came back to himself.



“Harry Potter! What are you doing?! Get up now and get some help! You are dying and you don’t even know it, do you? I cannot just stand here and watch you do nothing about your condition. Are you listening to me?” Hermione shouted loudly. Harry was absolutely sure that the whole hospital could hear her, but still chose to ignore her nonetheless. Where did she get off telling him what to do? At this point she attempted to pull him up to his feet, but he wouldn’t budge. He used all of his energy just trying to stay still.



Ginny was in lying in a hospital bed, fighting for her life because of him and Hermione wanted him to leave his post? She actually thought that he would abandon his spot outside her door to help himself? As far as he was concerned, she was dreaming. There was no way that he was moving. Hermione just didn’t understand. That was all. Just then, he heard her start to cry. He finally spoke in a voice just louder than a whisper.



“Hermione, please don’t cry. The situation is already bad.” Harry told her this and Hermione stopped briefly. Then she sat down next to him and buried her face in her hands. She continued to cry softly.



Harry did not know how long they sat there for or how long it had been since he defeated Voldemort. His mind was racing. Hermione kept talking to him and trying to convince him to see a Healer, but Harry’s mind was somewhere else. His mind was constantly reminding himself about why Ginny was in a hospital bed. He couldn’t help but remember all of the things that she had done for him and then all of the horrible memories that he had kept.



He had little memory about what had been happening around him. Something told him that he should look up. He did so and saw that a Healer was walking their way. She looked somber and unfocused. She walked up to them and Harry found energy that he did not know he still possessed. He jumped up to meet her half way, without a doubt that she had news of Ginny. She looked at him and began to speak softly.