Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The New Surprise by rache

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The days passed so quickly again; Ginny barely registered now that it had been two whole months since Amy had been born. She had started off screaming her head off during obscure hours of the night, and either Harry or Ginny would get up to feed her. Ginny in particular was feeling very tired. The routine of it all came flooding back to her; she remembered Lisle would cry for what seemed like hours on end during the night.

Amy was good during the day, however. Whenever Amy slept “ usually only for several hours before waking up “ Ginny would use that precious time to do something, whether it be having a cuddle with Lisle and reading her a story, or spending quality time with Harry and quite often just sleeping. The idea was for her to be sleeping while Amy was asleep. Ginny found the first month awful “ she was sleep-deprived and never seemed to have any time to do anything. The second month was better “ and now Ginny found herself a few weeks into the third month already and yet it seemed like yesterday that Amy was inside her waiting to be born!

Lisle’s seventh birthday came on the first of September “ and they had a small family celebration at home. She was given lots of lovely gifts “ which Ginny was grateful for because they distracted Lisle slightly from the fact that Amy was getting lots of attention instead of her now. Still, there had been some jealousy moments and both Ginny and Harry found them rather difficult to cope with. Nevertheless, Lisle had become slightly better and deep down Ginny knew she was thrilled to bits with her new little sister.

It was now late October “ summer had faded away bringing a cool autumn. Leaves were slowly turning from green to orange and they were falling into piles under the trees in the garden. Lisle liked playing in them, and soon they were no longer in nice little piles but scattered around what was once a neat lawn. Amy seemed to be enjoying autumn too. Whenever Ginny would take her out for a walk in the pram she would open her eyes wide and take everything in “ sometimes it even looked like she was smiling but Ginny wasn’t sure if it was genuine or not.

One nice afternoon, Ginny decided it would be nice for a walk in the local park. It wasn’t really a Muggle village in Godric’s Hollow, but there were Muggles dotted here and there so there were normal shops that were visible to the general public further down, but some of the older shops that were more isolated Ginny knew were actually wizard shops. There was an abandoned, wrecked petrol station (or so Harry had called it) which was actually a shortcut to Diagon Alley. The local park wasn’t very far from where the Potters lived, and Ginny knew Lisle liked feeding the ducks in the pond and going on the swings. So, making sure Lisle had done her coat up (for it was cold outside) and Amy had a wooly hat on and enough blankets in her pram Ginny set off, checking the house was locked with a strong charm that couldn’t be broken easily.

Predictably, Lisle began skipping happily through orange leaves, showering them everywhere. Ginny grinned, and wrapped her scarf tighter around her neck as the wind blew harder. Amy made a little contented sound “ a little gurgle. If Ginny hadn’t known any better she’d have sworn it was a giggle. She gave her a smile.

“What’s that Amy?” she cooed. “Do you like autumn? I do too. It was autumn when your daddy asked me to marry him, you know.”

Amy waved a small fist in the air and made the gurgling sound again. Her vivid red curls were just visible underneath her woolly blue hat. Ginny pushed the pram slightly faster, to keep up with Lisle. The trees whistled in the wind and leaves danced through the air, swirling into little whirlpools.

They soon reached the park. Lisle began skipping with her skipping rope (a small, Muggle present from Hermione last birthday). It wasn’t quite the same as her toy broomstick, but since there were Muggles around they had to be careful. Lisle made a beeline for the pond, and giggled, pointing at the ducks. One of them had flipped vertically, to clean its feathers and its feet and tail were sticking in the air.

“That duck is the wrong way up, Mum!” Lisle cried with glee. Ginny smiled as the duck resurfaced.

“So it is,” Ginny replied, watching the ducks swim around. “Would you like to feed them some bread, sweetheart?”

Lisle looked interested and stopped skipping. She held her hands out while Ginny rummaged in her bag. She found the bag of bread crusts and tossed it to Lisle. She opened it and threw a crust into the pond. The ducks began quacking madly and they formed a large swarm around the piece of bread. Lisle let out a small giggle and tossed another piece in.

Smiling, Ginny sat down on a nearby bench and watched as the ducks fought over the bread. The park was beautiful, especially in autumn. It was one of those parks that had managed to stay pretty and hadn’t been vandalized. The trees whispered in the breeze and a small gust of wind sent a few more leaves whirling past. Suddenly, Amy let out a whimper.

Ginny leant over the pram and looked at her. She had begun to whine and was waving her fists in the air again. Ginny touched one of her hands and realised why she was crying. They were ice-cold.

“Oh sweetie,” Ginny said, finding her tiny mittens in the basket below the pram. “I didn’t realise you were getting cold.”

She put the mittens on Amy. She stopped crying for a few moments but then started up again. Her mouth was making familiar sucking movements and her hands were reaching out. Ginny knew she was hungry.

Scooping her up, Ginny sat down on the bench and put a blanket over her shoulder, to hide Amy’s head from view. Amy stopped whining as she began to feed.

That’s better, thought Ginny. Technically, Amy was being bottle-fed as well, during the night, but the Healers said breast-feeding was the best method “ after all Lisle had breast-fed until she was eighteen months and had turned out healthy and lively. Right on the cue, Lisle scampered up to Ginny, holding an empty bag.

“Finished,” she said. Ginny took the bag and folded it into her bag.

“Can I go on the swings now Mummy?” Lisle pleaded.

“In a minute.”

After Amy decided she’d had enough, Ginny carefully patted her back and held her chest. Amy gave a small hiccup and dribbled down her chin. Ginny wiped her mouth and placed her back in the pram carefully. Lisle was hopping on one foot impatiently. Ginny chuckled.

“Okay, Lisa we’ll go to the swings now,” she smiled at her eldest daughter. Lisle scampered on ahead, scattering more leaves delightfully.

Ginny pushed the pram forwards heading towards the swings. There were a few children swinging on them already, their mothers or fathers standing nearby. Lisle took an empty swing and hoisted herself up onto it. She began swinging her legs to move herself off the ground.

Ginny parked the pram beside the swings and watched Lisle. Her long black hair streamed out behind her as she swung upwards. Ginny remarked at how much she really looked like Harry. Even at seven, Ginny could see her potential beauty blossoming. Her puppy-dog eyes, the long black hair, the smile that seemed to bring light into the whole room.

As Lisle continued to swing, Ginny peered into the pram at Amy. She was sucking her thumb and her eyelids were drooping slightly. She smiled, and checked her watch. It was quarter past five.

The wind began to blow harshly. Ginny shivered and pulled her coat tighter to her body. She let Lisle swing for another ten minutes, and by the time she had got off, Amy was fast asleep. Ginny pressed a finger to her lips. Lisle copied her.

“Time to go back now, love,” she whispered. Lisle reached out to hold Ginny’s hand. They began to walk out of the park.

***

The wind was harsh. Branches of trees were bending violently, some even snapping. Orange and yellow leaves raced past, billowing in little clouds. The sky was still light, but it was gradually getting darker.

A hooded man was battling his way through the wind. He hugged his long black cloak to his body, the biting wind nipping at his face and hands. His boots splashed through mud puddles as he ran. His breath was jagged, puffing into short blasts of air, visible in the cold. He looked round, desperately.

Where was the house? Everything was vaguely familiar…yet he couldn’t be sure of which one.

He ran on, and as he did, he felt a small wet fleck on his cheek. He stared up at the grey clouds, and he heard thunder rumble above. He cursed inwardly. The last thing he needed now was to be lost and wet.

The droplets of rain began falling, mere specks at first, but then turned into heavy droplets, flowing thickly and steadily. Soon enough, the man was soaked right down to his shoes.

Shaking his wet hair out of his eyes, he squinted through the rain. The street before him went up, on a hill. He smiled inwardly and tore forwards.

This was it.

***

“Lisle, come in, you’ll get soaked!”

Lisle, who was standing on the porch her arms open wide, letting the rain soak her, grumbled but came in anyway and let Ginny peel her wet coat off her, and perform a drying spell on her clothes.

“I like the rain!” she whined as she had her jumper and shoes taken off as well. “I was doing a game where you have to guess where the next raindrop is going to fall. I guessed it would go on my nose but it landed on my cheek instead.”

Ginny looked sternly at her daughter. “You’ll catch a cold!” she said, wagging her finger in mock strictness. Lisle giggled.

“Do I hear something about colds? Speaking of which, what horrible weather!”

Lisle’s eyes lit up. “Daddy!!”

She ran over to Harry, who suddenly Apparated into the hallway. He picked Lisle up and gave her a bear hug.

“You’re home early,” Ginny said, kissing him on the cheek. Harry grinned.

“I managed to get off half an hour early than normal today,” he said. Ginny hung her scarf on the coat pegs, grinning. A few years ago, after a lot of training, Harry had achieved his life ambition of becoming an Auror. He worked for the Ministry, and being an Auror was certainly a hard career; it also meant he would be away on and off. Some weeks he was at home all day, other weeks he was called in at various different times. Nevertheless, Ginny certainly felt safer with a fully trained Auror in the house, so it paid off.

Amy made a soft ‘goo’ sound in her sleep. Harry turned to the pram. He bent down and kissed her forehead.

“She finally went to sleep then?” Harry asked Ginny, who nodded.

“She loved the park. I think she likes the trees. Lisle, go and wash your hands they’re filthy. Harry, can you set the table while I make supper? It’s about time, I think.”

Ginny wheeled the pram softly into the front room and left the door open. Amy was still fast asleep. She walked into the kitchen and pulled her wand out.

“Accio sprouts!”

Immediately, a bag of sprouts came whizzing into her hand from the larder. She began to boil them, and some potatoes.



The hooded man felt almost winded from running so fast, for so long. He stopped, panting, to catch his breath. What was the matter with him? Wasn’t he usually very fit?

He glanced up at the house before him. It was this one all right. He could remember it.

Carefully and slowly, he walked up the path. He ducked behind a rose bush and peered in the window. Inside, he could see some armchairs and a sofa. There was a pram sitting beside the open door. Through the open door, he saw someone walk past the hallway. He caught a glimpse of long, red hair.

Ducking down again, he hid in the rose bush and waited. He couldn’t go in just yet. If somebody had by any chance seen him running, they might be able to track him down.

So he began to wait, raindrops pouring down his face.



“Come down now Lisle, dinner’s ready!”

Ginny hurried back into the kitchen, where Harry was washing his hands in the sink.

“She’s coming,” Ginny said, sitting down. She pointed her wand at the jug of water, which poured itself into the three glasses. There came a thumping noise of someone running down the stairs. Soon, Lisle appeared in the doorway, holding her hands out for Ginny to see. Ginny inspected them.

“They seem clean enough to me,” she said, as Harry sat down. “Okay, dig in then everyone.”

Lisle began piling mashed potatoes on her plate in a hungry fashion, which reminded Ginny strongly of Ron. Adding some peas to her own plate, Ginny began to tuck in as well.



The man’s breath was fast and shallow. It had been at least ten minutes.

He put his head out of the rose bush, checking both ways completely. The coast was clear.

Emerging from the rose bush, he scrambled up the porch. The doorknocker before him stood out boldly. Reaching out, he gave it three hard raps, his heart thudding.

***

Ginny was about to put a piece of chicken in her mouth when she heard the door knock. She sighed and put her napkin down.

“I’ll get it,” she told Harry, who had been about to get up. She made her way to the door, just as it rapped again.

“I’m coming!” she said, fiddling with the chain. She opened it.

Standing before her, was a cloaked man, with his hood up. He was soaking from the rain. Ginny’s eyes widened.

“Y “ you!” she gasped, her hand covering her mouth.

The man lowered his hood for the first time since he had began running. His white blond hair seemed to stand out, even in the rain. His eyes were unmistakably grey-silver.

“D “ Draco?” Ginny stammered.



A/N: Dun dun dun! Another little cliffhanger just to amuse you (or me actually). But it’s not quite as bad as the others, is it? Lol.
Anyway, I will make sure I update quickly next time, so as not to keep you hanging. There may not be any flashbacks in the next chapter but hey, if there are…;)

I say it all the time but… please review, I like your feedback :D