Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The New Surprise by rache

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: Hello again!! Chapter 4 is finally here!! I’m sorry for not updating in a long while, partly because I got writers’ block over the holidays, and partly because when I submitted my original chapter 4 it got deleted (nooooo) and when my chapters get deleted, I always prefer to re-write the entire thing because I want to improve it as much as possible. Oh and by the way, thank you for reviewing, it has helped a lot. I really love getting reviews with advice on ways to improve, because I’m always open for improvement (but don’t be too harsh please!). Anyway, this chapter starts off with a flashback of Ginny’s. Happy reading!!





“Harry, there’s something I have to tell you,” said seventeen-year-old Ginny, sitting on the edge of his bed.

Harry looked up from his book, Potions for Aspiring Aurors, his green eyes glazed, as though the book was thoroughly monotonous. He smiled at Ginny, his eyes lighting up. Obviously he had not forgotten the other night they had spent at Hogwarts together. Who would?

“Hi, Gin,” Harry said softly, planting a kiss on her cheek. “What’s up?”

Ginny began biting her nails and rocking about in her seat. She always did that when she was nervous, Harry had noticed.

“What is it?” he repeated.

Ginny sighed and stared up at him. “Okay, if you must know, you must. But please don’t be too upset or angry with me, it’s as much my responsibility as yours.”

Harry looked extremely intrigued now.

“Tell me,” he said, placing his book down on his pillow. Ginny looked into his eyes, and Harry was startled to see she had tears glistening in her own.

“I’m pregnant.”

Ginny felt as though she had ripped plaster off an deep wound. The silence was stingingly silent and the tension was thicker than cold custard.

“You’re “ what?”

Harry looked at Ginny, his face utterly shocked and bewildered. Ginny bit her thumbnail with more fervor as she watched Harry’s face for signs.

“I’m pregnant,” she repeated after a slight silence. “And it’s yours.”

Her words rang throughout her ears. It was a though a tidal wave had just crashed over them and wiped out all the noise. The silence seemed to go on forever, like there was a gaping chasm where normal conversation once was. Harry’s emerald eyes looked somber and there was no trace of humour in them now.

After what seemed a decade, Harry stood up and buried his grey face in his hands. Ginny was shocked to see how grim he looked; she had never seen him so staid before.

“You “ you mean you got pregnant on our first time?” he asked, a note of panic hidden in his voice.

Ginny nodded, her eyes blurring over with tears now. Harry must have seen how upset and scared she was because he sat down on the bed next to her, his eyes looking a little more comforting.

“It just seems so unfair,” Ginny said, her voice cracking as tears rolled down her cheeks, “that this had to happen the first time. We’re not even together anymore, but now the one thing we did was that “ and we forgot the Charm. How am I going to do this, Harry?”

She burst into sobs, letting them wash over her, shaking uncontrollably. Harry pulled her into a comforting embrace, wrapping his arms tightly over her, although he had never felt less brave. Even when he had seen Voldemort rise from that giant cauldron on the night of his rebirth he had not felt quite like this. The overwhelming sense of fear rose up in him until he too, wanted to break into tears, wash it all away from him, but he knew he had to be strong and brave for Ginny, so she would not feel scared.

“We’ll figure it out, Gin,” he said, feeling as though someone else rather than him spoke the words. “I never said I stopped loving you, because I do. I just can’t show it right now, or he’ll find you. If I lost you Ginny I’d be devastated beyond words. I’m here for you, even though I can’t be with you.”

He stroked her beautiful mane of copper gold hair, soothing her sobs with his gentle hand. Ginny felt like she was dying inside. She had never felt this close to anyone yet at the same time so far apart. The mere week ago that they had spent at Hogwarts had felt so right and beautiful, like it had been fate to bring them closer together, but she knew now that it wasn’t fate, it was reality. Reality brought you back to life after the moment was over, it brought you back to the bitter truth of things. No matter how sweet and good something was, it would always end, at some point. She had been stupid to believe Harry could change his mind after one meaningful moment. She loved him so much it sometimes caused her pain to think of what she would be if he died in the war. She couldn’t let that happen to him while she was safe and protected, but she couldn’t change his mind either. He wanted to protect her, but it caused her so much silent pain she wanted to pull him back now and kiss him again, tell him all her fears and have him stroke her hair as he was doing now, but she knew it could never be so.

“I love you too Harry,” she said after a long time, her eyes red and her face tear-stained. “I wish I could come and help you, come and fight. Last year at Hogwarts was unbearable without you. I very nearly lost the will to live sometimes. I know why we can’t be together anymore, but I’ll never love anyone else. You’re my one and only, Harry.”

Harry looked deep into her eyes and Ginny could see on his face the pain he too was suffering inside. He leaned over to her and kissed her softly. Ginny felt like she was flying. Her mind drifted, picturing the two of them in a secluded field, kissing as they were now, without a care in the world, nothing to hold them back. But the picture faded away soon, and she looked up at Harry, who had drawn away from her.

“That was just one last time,” he said, looking at the rug. “Because I won’t be able to do that to you again for a very long time. I’m sorry, Ginny. But you have to tell your parents. They can help you with this. I can’t.”

Ginny felt her broken heart smash again as he touched her face one more time, got up and slowly walked for the door. As he shut it, Ginny could not hear. She couldn’t think. His outline had become hazy and blurred and she felt more tears creeping up, spilling down her face. Her one and only true love was walking away from her, breaking her heart as he went. She couldn’t bear to think about it, all her emotions lay tangled in a broken up heap and overcame her with such an overwhelming power that she flung herself face down onto the bed, sobbing into the pillow.

She was alone.



“Hello, stranger.”

Ginny opened her eyes to see Harry standing over her. He was grinning, and Ginny looked around. She was slumped in a cosy red armchair, her reading book sliding from her slack grip. She must have dozed off after lunch. After she had found out the wonderful news. It seemed such a long time ago they had been in Diagon Alley, trying on dresses for the wedding.

“Hello, sweetheart,” Ginny smiled, straightening up. “I just dozed of after lunch in this armchair. I “ I was dreaming, I guess.”

Harry smiled and sat on the arm of her chair. “Hermione told me there was something important you had to tell me.”

Ginny remembered the bathroom and the little white stick, and the look of triumph on Hermione’s face after they had found out the news.

“Oh right,” said Ginny, smiling again. “Well, that. Yes, it is rather important.”

She opened her book again and began to read, until she felt Harry’s eyes on her. She looked up at his impatient face.

“Well? Aren’t you going to tell me?”

Ginny laughed. “All right, I’ll tell you. But it is rather a surprise.”

Harry nodded. “Okay, just tell me.”

Ginny took a deep breath and the exhaled. “Okay. I’m pregnant.”

She watched Harry’s face and failed to suppress a laugh. He looked so comical, sitting there, his mouth half-open and his face shocked. He looked more gormless than Goyle.

“What is so funny?” Harry asked her as she giggled, folding his arms across his chest, raising an eyebrow.

“Sorry,” Ginny said, pulling herself together. “It’s just that you look so funny sitting there, your mouth hanging open in that gormless manner.”

Harry smiled weakly, but then looked serious again. “Are you being serious? You’re really pregnant?”

Ginny nodded her head, looking serious again. “Yes,” she said. “I’m not joking; I’m four months along already. That’s what that tummy-bug was the day we left to come here. Except it wasn’t a tummy-bug. It was morning sickness.”

Harry looked awed for a moment, his eyes unfocused and glazed, looking at the muslin curtains as though they fascinated him. Ginny waved her hand in front of his face.

“Er, Harry? Hello?”

Harry snapped out of his reverie and looked back at Ginny.

“I’m sorry,” he said. “I was just “ wow. You do realise what a huge step it is to have another baby? I mean Lisle wasn’t exactly planned, was she?”

Ginny nodded again. “Yes, Harry, I’ve gone over it in my mind, and I realise it means many more months of sleepless nights to take care of it, but I’m so happy as well. I’ve always wanted a sister or brother for Lisle.”

Harry nodded and smiled. “I know you’ve always wanted more than one child,” he responded. “And I’m not saying I’m not happy. I’d love another child.”

Ginny looked up, smiling.

“So is this official? I have your blessing?”

“What do you mean, my blessing?” Harry answered. “You don’t need my blessing for something like this.”

Ginny laughed. “I know. I just meant, are you okay with it? I mean, I actually was preparing myself for more of a surprised reaction from you.”

Harry grinned. “Well, to be honest, I sort of guessed anyway. I mean,” he said, spotting Ginny’s puzzled expression, “I knew that when you threw up that it couldn’t just be a tummy-bug, because the week before that you had been vomiting as well. And I noticed how your middle had been growing bigger; I just didn’t like to say anything incase you thought I was calling you fat.”

Ginny grinned. “Well you were right! But it does seem a bit strange that everyone else has noticed this and I haven’t. Even Lisle told me I was ‘bigger’.”

Harry chuckled. “Well she’s a smart kid.”

Ginny grinned even more widely and burrowed her face into Harry’s jumper. It smelled nice, like treacle tart and polished wood.

“Is it a boy or girl?” Harry asked, abruptly, as Ginny looked up. “Or don’t you know?”

Ginny shook her head. “I don’t know. But if I go to St. Mungo’s for a check up I’m sure they’ll be able to find out through magical ways; I’m already far along enough.”

Harry suddenly looked excited. “I hope it’s a boy,” he voiced, his face shining with glee.

Ginny laughed. “I’m sure you do.”

“Well, it would be nice to have one of each,” Harry said. “What room will we convert for the new baby? Perhaps we should use Lisle’s old playroom, it’s full of junk now anyway, and the walls need re-painting…”

Ginny’s mind drifted as Harry spoke. A warm feeling had enveloped her, as she stretched her hands over the small bump on her midriff. She thought back over the previous week and the weeks, maybe even months before that. It had been obvious, really, hadn’t it? Even Harry and had noticed. She burrowed into Harry, who cuddled her back, still in full flow about the new baby. Ginny felt a smile creep up on her lips as she watched him. He truly did care about her.

Flashback

The pain was slowly receding, although Ginny’s eyes remained tightly shut. There was sweat all over her face, and Ginny suddenly heard the high-pitched noises of a very young infant crying. Ginny snapped her eyes open and what she next saw almost made her heart stop beating.

A baby.

The Healer took it over to the nearby table, and with a wave of her wand, it was cleaned. Wrapping it up in a white blanket, the Healer carefully passed it to Ginny.

“It’s a girl,” she said smiling, as she gently placed the infant in Ginny’s arms. Ginny barely heard the Healer; she was too transfixed by her new daughter. She was so intricately small, so perfect, she even had tiny little fingernails. Ginny could barely recall what the pain had felt like now.

The baby girl gurgled and opened her eyes up widely. Ginny saw that they were brown as well.

“Hello,” Ginny said, smiling at her daughter. “Hello, darling. You’re here now. Everyone’s been waiting to see you for ages.”

The baby gurgled again.

The doors burst open and Ginny looked up to see a hurling shape of black hair and glasses running towards her bed. The Healer, however, blocked his way, a great frown on her face.

“What are you doing here, sir?” she asked, placing her hands on her large waist. “Nobody except family is allowed in here.”

“Well, I’m the father, does that count as family?” Harry asked impatiently.

The Healer relented and moved out of the way.

Ginny looked up at Harry. Her breath seemed to be caught in her throat and her tongue was tied. There was no need for words however. Harry sat down on the nearby chair.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t make it sooner,” he gasped, catching his breath. “I ran all the way here; they didn’t let me out until we had all finished “”

Ginny shook her head, smiling. “It doesn’t matter, Harry. What matters to me is that you’re here now. It’s a girl.”

Harry looked down at the now crying baby, his face awestruck.

“She’s beautiful,” he said, in a hushed voice.

“Would you like to hold her?” asked Ginny, quietly, as the infant screamed more. Harry took her in his arms. As soon as Ginny had passed her to him, she immediately fell silent. Her big brown eyes widened, and she hiccuped softly. Harry beamed at her.

“Hello you,” he said. “Wow, you’re exactly like me, aren’t you? But you’ve got Ginny’s eyes.”

Ginny smiled.

“What are we going to call her?” Harry asked, looking up at Ginny. Ginny thought for a moment.

“I don’t know,” she mused, thoughtfully. “For a girl I’ve always wanted Lisle. You don’t hate it too much, do you?”

“No, of course not,” Harry replied. “It’s a beautiful name; it suits her. So, Lisle it is?”

Ginny nodded. “Okay. Lisle it is.”

Lisle gurgled, her brown eyes twinkling.



Ginny came back out of her reverie, shaking her head. Looking up, she saw Harry, still in a full-fledged monologue about whether or not they should use Lisle’s old playroom for the new baby.

Ginny smiled to herself, and opened her book. Finding the page, she began to read as Harry looked at her, leaving him in mid-sentence.

***
A/N: I hope you liked that chapter! It took me ages to work out, but its finally here! Please leave a review if you have time, I really like them!! ^^