Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The New Surprise by rache

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: Hi again! I’m sorry about the wait, but I’d like to just make a point before I go on.
I’ve had a sudden load of reviews “ which is great, believe me I LOVE getting feedback “ but some people have been putting a lot of pressure on me to finish Chapter 8. All I can say is: I’m sorry, but be patient please!! It’s harder than it looks, and the computer I’ve saved this on is used by everyone in my family, so I can’t spend hours on end typing and stuff. I’ve had some reviews which I’m not sure whether you were joking or not about “ so please, I know I hate it when someone has left a story on a cliffhanger, but be patient! Writing is not just about speed “ it’s also about the quality of the work and the plotline, and I don’t have a beta, so I check my own work. Of course, having a beta slows things down slightly, so I chose not to get one (even though they are useful and helpful). Anyways, I’m just saying, I love getting reviews, but please don’t be impatient when it takes a week to update or whatever, because the queue takes a while as well. Okay, now I’ll let you read on, lol. ^_^



Rain splashed against Harry’s forehead, blurring his glasses, but he did not care. He ran as fast as he could, searching bushes and corners desperately. The thunder rumbled above him, and lighting seared across the sky, but it didn’t stop him.

“GINNY!”

He screamed her name, and nobody replied, except for the crash of thunder. He screwed up his face as he ran further, trying to hide the tears that were mingling with rain on his cheeks.

“GINNY! Answer me!!”

Harry couldn’t help himself. Roaring with rage at himself, he kicked a nearby rubbish skip over in frustration. Plastic bags and bits of paper littered the road, but he didn’t care. Slumping onto the pavement, he buried his wet face in his hands and began to let the tears run freely and silently into his wet hands.

I should have known this would happen. It’s my entire fault, how could I? And she’s pregnant too.

The rain beat down heavily, soaking Harry to the core, but he sat there, drenched, not caring about the rain or the storm. He didn’t know how long he sat for, but after what seemed a few minutes, he heard a voice behind him.

“Harry “ Harry Potter?”

Harry spun around wildly, and saw an old woman in a purple dressing gown standing behind him, holding an umbrella. Harry leapt up from the pavement. The woman was looking a little worried.

“You were shouting,” she commented unnecessarily. “I woke up because of the thunder and heard you shouting ‘Ginny’. She’s your wife isn’t she?”

Harry nodded, dazedly. “Er “ not to be rude, but who are you?” he asked.

The old woman smiled, her cornflower eyes crinkling. “I’m your neighbour, Mrs. Jones. I don’t know you very well “ but Ginny occasionally swapped cooking recipes with me. She comes in for tea sometimes “ we have conversations sometimes, and that little girl of yours “ Lisle “ is a sweetheart, bless her.”

Harry immediately clicked. “Oh “ of course! You’re Mrs. Jones, oh now I remember. Listen “ not that I don’t want to stay and chat “ but I’ve got to go. Lisle’s at home on her own and I can’t leave her.”

Mrs. Jones smiled broadly. “Well forgive me Mr. Potter, but if your little girl is at home alone, surely you’d have remembered to cast the Secure-Home Spell on your house, to protect her?”

Harry stared.

“You’re “ you’re a - ?”

“A witch, yes,” Mrs. Jones said, conversationally. “Oh yes. I never told you, or Ginny, but I like my quiet life see, and people knowing I’m a witch can lead to questions.”

Harry was still a little stunned that he had never known this “ but had more pressing matters on his mind right now.

“Look “ er “ Mrs. Jones,” he said, hurriedly, “I’ve got to go back home. The truth is “ I don’t know where Ginny is. I found her handkerchief just lying on the grass in our garden just now, and so I think she might be “ well “ I…”

Mrs. Jones inclined her head towards the Potters’ house. “Lead the way.” She said.

Harry walked as briskly as he could, trying not to run incase Mrs. Jones couldn’t keep up “ but he found she walked just as briskly as he did.

“Here,” Harry said, as they arrived at the house. Mrs. Jones nodded, and followed Harry to the back garden.

Harry walked up the steps leading to the kitchen, and closed the door after Mrs. Jones. She went into her pocket and pulled out a long, mahogany wand and waved it at the chandeliers, which lit themselves.

“I’m going to contact the Order of the Phoenix “ you know them?” Harry asked.

“Yes, of course,” Mrs. Jones said, “while you do that, I’ll go and check on your little girl shall I?”

Harry hesitated for a moment, seeing as he barely knew Mrs. Jones, but then nodded curtly.

“Up the stairs and on the first left,” he told her as she hurried out. Taking a pot of glittering Floo powder, Harry walked into the living room and lit the fireplace with his wand.

“Alright,” he said to himself, placing the pot on the floor and kneeling down. “Here goes.”

He threw a handful of green powder into the flames, which hissed and shot up like emerald serpents. Sticking his head only into the flames, Harry coughed but uttered:

“Number Twelve, Grimmauld Place!”

His head revolved suddenly and a roaring sound filled his ears as the fireplace spun before his eyes, flashes of other fires catching his eyes as green flames licked his hair and ears. The roaring died down a little and the revolving skidded slowly to a halt. Harry opened his eyes widely (for he had squeezed them almost shut) and peered into the dark living room of Number Twelve, Grimmauld Place.

“Hello?”

Remus Lupin was lying in an armchair, falling asleep over a large book, his eyelids drooping. Harry cleared his throat loudly and Remus started, looking around at Harry.

“Goodness Harry, you gave me a fright!” he said, peering at his watch as he strode over to the fire and sat on the hearthrug next to the fireplace where Harry’s head lay. “What on earth are you here for at this hour of the night “ or morning to be precise?”

“Hi Remus,” Harry said, rather quickly, “sorry about it being so late “ but I had to contact the Order immediately. You see, a rather awful thing has happened “ Ginny, I don’t know where she is, and I think she got taken away during the night when she went downstairs.”

Remus looked extremely grave all of a sudden. He straightened up and looked concernedly at Harry.

“What happened?” he asked, leaning forwards a little.

“Well I don’t know,” Harry admitted, “last time I saw her was right before we’d both gone to bed “ at half-past ten “ and I think she must have gotten hungry or something during the night, because I woke up a little while ago to find her missing. I went downstairs to find her, and then I found this handkerchief in the garden “ the one she’s had in the family for years. She wouldn’t just leave it there, Remus, I know her. I think she was unconscious when it fell out of her pocket.”

Remus was looking very grave now. “Wait right there,” he said, scrambling up, “I’ll contact the others immediately. I’ll send some of them round to yours in a couple of minutes. Go back and check the house “ you never know what they could’ve left. And also, check up on Lisle, just make sure she’s okay.”

Harry nodded. “Thanks Remus,” he said, gratefully, despite being terrified for Ginny.

Remus nodded, grimly. “Just go back. We’ll find out who did this “ don’t worry.”

****


Ginny opened her eyes hazily. The room she was in was dark. Very dark.

Whispers echoed around the room, but Ginny couldn’t see who was talking. She felt very weak, and had her arms tied behind her back. She tried moving, but pain shot up her spine, making her head ache. She remembered someone hitting her hard on the forehead “ and could feel a bruise coming up.

Where’s Harry? she wondered, desperately, Why did they take me? Where am I? Is Lisle okay?

All the unanswered questions in her mind were making her head reel, so she squeezed her eyes shut, tears stinging on her eyelids.

“Well, well, well,” a cruel voice chimed, and Ginny snapped her eyes open. “Our “ ah “ guest is waking up finally. Perhaps we can give her a proper welcome.”

Ginny looked up at a hooded figure, who was walking towards her. The voice was vaguely familiar, and instead of it striking a note of fear inside her, she felt suddenly rather angered by it.

“What do you want with me?” she asked fiercely, wriggling against her bonds. The hooded person laughed a completely mirthless cackle.

“What do I want from you?” the person asked, sounding rather amused by her question. “Perhaps you should start by telling me about the night your friends “ including that Harry Potter “ killed the most powerful wizard of all time. Or perhaps you could tell me the whereabouts of the Order of the Phoenix? That at least would make you something slightly more useful than the lowly, scummy, worthless blood-traitor that you are.”

Ginny felt a wave of anger surge over her “ she definitely knew that voice, but she couldn’t think who it was.

“You can go to hell!” she spat, her eyes cold. The hooded person laughed that heartless laugh, along with others joining in “ others she could not see but knew were lurking in the shadows somewhere.

“Unfortunately, it is not up to you to tell me what to do. It is the other way round now,” the hooded person said. Ginny narrowed her eyes.

“Who are you?” she asked, distastefully. “What do you want with me anyway?”

“Well that is an interesting question,” the person said, in a tone that suggested they were simply discussing Quidditch, “and I suppose the answer is not quite as interesting. Harry Potter of course. He has managed to escape countless of near-death battles, and yet he sleeps quite soundly now in his bed, without a care in the world. What, then, do we want with you? I’d thought it be obvious by now.”

Ginny didn’t say anything, but kept her eyes narrowed.

“Harry Potter will do anything for you,” the person continued, in a soft voice. “He might even risk his own life for you. Now I suppose you don’t need us to explain why you are here?”

Ginny’s heartbeat quickened, but remained silent. She knew Harry would not sit still in a situation like this, and she wouldn’t let him risk himself while she was still unhurt and not in danger.

“You might next ask, why it has been so long before we made a move on Potter? All these years…but we have thought it out carefully. The Dark Lord was cunning, and even though he is gone, those who are loyal to him still remain, faithful as ever, waiting to finish off Harry Potter, to finally carry out what he has been trying to do since Potter was a year old.”

“Yeah, well, Voldemort’s gone now,” Ginny said bluntly, taking pleasure at the collective gasps and flinches that went around the room at the sound of his name. “And the whole point of him trying to kill Harry was so he wouldn’t have a rival. So does it matter now, him being dead and all? What’s the point? It’s a waste of time.”

“How “ dare “ you!” a hooded female voice from the shadows. “You “ you filthy little blood traitor!”

“Calm down, Bellatrix,” the hooded person in front of Ginny said, holding a hand up to silence her. Then the person turned back to Ginny.

“So you have started copying Potter, like the rest of the cowards who have no idea of the Dark Lord’s powers, and saying his name? It is not bravery, I assure you, but mere stupidity.”

Ginny lifted her chin up, defiantly. “Oh yeah? Well excuse me for not being afraid of a dead guy…”

“You will not speak of him like that!” the hooded person hissed, menacingly, and the others murmured in approval.

“I’ll say whatever I want,” Ginny retorted, “and anyway, you still haven’t answered my question: who are you?”

Ginny could tell the hooded person was smiling.

“Oh I’m sure you wouldn’t want to know,” the person said, softly. “But as you wish.”

Slowly, the hooded person lifted the hood off their face, and Ginny instantly recognised the black, greasy curtain of hair framing his face, and the black, fathomless eyes.

Snape?”

Snape chuckled and slowly the others stepped out from the shadows, revealing their faces. Bellatrix Lestrange was among them, a curled grin on her lips. Ginny stared around at them all, barely believing it was all true.

“We should not want to disturb your already broken up night anymore,” Snape continued, watching Ginny’s horrorstruck face, “so we shall leave you to sleep. And by morning? You’ll have to wait and see.”

Snape laughed a cruel laugh, along with the other Death Eaters, before all turning and leaving the room, closing the heavy door with a loud bang.

Ginny struggled against the ropes around her wrists, and, now she noticed, around her feet as well. She had to get out “ there were at least twenty of them, and she was already eight months pregnant.

Tears slid down her cheeks, as she fought against the bonds. What if Harry and Lisle were in danger? How could she warn them, when she was sitting in a cold, dark cell, tied up and barely able to walk up stairs with the weight of the baby?

“Psssst!”

Ginny swivelled her head round, trying to find the source of the noise she had just heard. “Hello?” she asked, a little suspiciously.

“Up here,” the voice came, from the ceiling. Ginny peered up and saw a vent in the ceiling. Someone was behind them.

“Who is it?” she asked, craning her neck round to try and see who it was. The person tugged at the bars and pulled them away. Ginny caught a glimpse of silvery white.

“Watch out, I’m jumping,” the person said, and Ginny wriggled as best as she could out of the way. The person jumped and landed on their feet, agile as a cat.

It was Draco Malfoy. Ginny gazed at him, shocked. What on earth was he doing here?

“What are you doing, Malfoy?” Ginny spat at him in fury. He was her sworn enemy, along with all the rest of the Gryffindors during her day at Hogwarts “ so why was he here now?

Malfoy walked over to her and pulled out his wand. He waved it at her wrists and feet and the ropes untied themselves. Ginny massaged her wrists and then felt her tummy, as though to check on the baby. Then she turned to Malfoy and slapped him round the face, without further thought.

“Ouch!” he cried, reeling backwards angrily. “What was that for? I just untied you!”

“Yes, you did,” Ginny said coldly. “But I don’t know why, do I? Perhaps you’re just about to whisk me and my baby off to some death chamber a kill us.”

Malfoy looked hurt and confused. “Why would I want to kill you or your baby?”

Ginny shrugged. “Beats me. My point is that I don’t trust you, never have, and never will. You’re a bloody Death Eater for crying out loud!”

Malfoy sighed. “Correction, I was a Death Eater. I changed after Voldemort died. I never could kill Dumbledore “ and I couldn’t bring myself to kill Potter either. My father hates me “ so I’m sort of on the run at the moment. I knew about their plot to kidnap you though, I keep track of them just incase, so I came to rescue you.”

Ginny raised an eyebrow. “Still not buying it, Malfoy,” she said, adamantly.

Malfoy sighed even louder, and pulled back the sleeve of his left forearm. He pointed to his wrist, where an angry red burn was, half covering a green skull with a snake tongue. The Dark Mark.

Ginny traced her finger over it, her mouth open. “It “ it’s gone?” she remarked, looking at him. Malfoy nodded.

“I did that to myself, just to prove to my father that I had changed. He disowned me and threatened to kill me. I escaped him, and then went on the run. I’ve been like that ever since Potter defeated Voldemort “ sneaking around the Death Eaters. But I have to watch out for Snape “ he’s also after me as well.”

Ginny dropped Malfoy’s arm and ran her fingers through her hair. “I “ guess that means you’re not…”

Malfoy shook his head. “No. I’m not.”

Ginny didn’t understand why she believed him “ but he had just given her proof, and she knew, somehow, that he wasn’t lying.

“Listen Weasley “ or Potter now I suppose “ you have to trust me,” Malfoy said, before Ginny could apologise. “You’re in danger “ and I can get you out of here. Just trust me on this one, okay? I can get you out and Apparate you back to Potter. Can you do that?”

Ginny nodded. “But I can’t walk very quickly,” she added, indicating her belly, “I’m too far along in my pregnancy.”

“It doesn’t matter,” Malfoy said, “I can help you. We just have to be really quiet. We’ll go up the vent “ I’ll give you a leg up.”

He stood up and extended his hand to Ginny, to help her up. Clutching her stomach, Ginny peered up at the vent. It seemed a long way up. But Malfoy had grown “ he was now at least six foot tall.

“What about you?” Ginny asked him. “How will you get up?”

“I can manage,” Malfoy said. “You’ll just need to pull me up, if you can.”

Ginny nodded. “I can do that.”

“Okay, I’ll crouch down, and you stand on my shoulders, alright?” Malfoy said, crouching down so Ginny could get onto his shoulders. Tentatively, Ginny stepped onto his back and then onto his shoulders. She held her breath nervously while he slowly stood up, clutching her ankles as she wobbled precariously on his shoulders.

“Can “ you “ reach “ the “ vent?” Malfoy panted.

“Yes,” Ginny answered, reaching for the edge of the vent. Pulling herself up, she felt her feet leave Malfoy’s shoulders, and he pushed on her feet with his hands. Ginny scrambled up into the vent and peered down at Malfoy.

“I’m up!” she said, giving him the thumbs up. Malfoy reached his arms as far as he could get them and Ginny leaned down, grabbing onto the tightly.

“Right, now PULL!” Malfoy said, and Ginny heaved him up as hard as she could. He grabbed onto the edge of the vent, and with Ginny’s help, scrambled up as well. Both panting, the pair leaned against the walls, mopping their brows.

“Good work,” Malfoy told Ginny, who nodded.

“You too,” she said, “now which way?”

Malfoy jerked his thumb ahead. “This way. I’ll lead “ you can crawl can’t you? We’ll be a bit cramped, but fortunately it doesn’t go on for too long. If something happens to either of us, stop moving. That’ll be our signal.”

Ginny nodded. “My “ wand,” she said, feeling her pockets. “It’s at home.”

Malfoy pulled out his own. “I light mine and lead the way, okay?”

Ginny nodded, and Malfoy began to crawl forward and she followed.

The tunnel went on for a bit. Every now and then, they would come to a fork or a bend and Malfoy would lead the way. Ginny’s hands and knees were getting a little sore “ and her back ached from the strain her belly was putting on it.

“Stop here,” Malfoy said eventually, stopping himself and pointing at a vent beneath him. Ginny stopped crawling, panting heavily.

Malfoy pulled the vent off. He peered down.

“We’re in luck,” he said to Ginny, who was kneeling down, rubbing her tummy. “The drop isn’t too far. I’ll jump down first and then catch you, okay?”

Ginny felt a bit alarmed. “What if you miss?”

“I won’t,” Malfoy assured her, getting ready to jump. Putting his legs through the hole, he let go and landed with a soft thump. Ginny bent over the hole to check if he had landed safely. He had landed on his feet again. He turned up at Ginny.

“I’m okay,” he said, outstretching his arms. “Now you jump.”

Ginny braced herself nervously, knowing they didn’t have much time. She put her legs through the hole and exhaled loudly.

“Here goes!”

She let go and felt herself fall. Malfoy caught her in his arms, and she breathed a sigh of relief.

“Thanks,” she said as he put her down, “Now where?”

Malfoy looked ahead. “This way,” he commanded, and lead the way, Ginny walking as fast as she could. They walked down a corridor, and reached a door. Malfoy opened it, and lead Ginny outside.

They walked on for a bit, through dark trees and undergrowth, until Malfoy stopped and glanced both ways.

“Here,” he said, taking Ginny’s arm. “Hold onto my arm “ I’ll Apparate us back.”

Ginny nodded and grasped his arm tightly.

“One…Two…Three!”

She felt as though she had jerked forward into a very tight, dark tunnel. Everything pressed against her, her lungs felt as though they were being forced down. She could not see or breathe, she felt as though she was being compressed into a tight box…

Then with a sudden jerk, she landed onto solid ground.

****


Harry was pacing the living room. Members of the Order were murmuring amongst themselves, while others had taken to making tea in the kitchen. Some had gone up the road, searching and calling, just incase.

This is my fault,Harry kept thinking, even though he knew it wasn’t. I should have been protecting her properly…

“Harry?”

Harry stopped pacing and looked up. It was Mrs. Jones. She was holding a mug of tea out for him.

“Thanks Mrs. Jones,” he said, gratefully taking the mug. He took a sip and burned his tongue.

“Careful, it’s hot,” Mrs. Jones advised, as he spat his mouthful back into the mug.

“Yeah,” Harry said, setting the mug down on a nearby lamp table, “I’ll wait for it to cool.”

Harry sank onto the sofa, running his hands through his hair, and rubbing his eyes wearily. “It’s been a stressful night,” he said, as Mrs. Jones sat down next to him, “how’s Lisle?”

Mrs. Jones took a sip of tea from her own mug that she was holding. “She’s settled down again. She was awake when I went up “ and frightened. She was all curled up under the covers, holding onto her pillow. She said the storm had woke her up, so I read her a story and she’s fast asleep again.”

Harry smiled. “Thanks Mrs. Jones,” he said, while she waved a breezy hand at him.

“Please, call me Deirdre,” she said, taking a swig of tea. “She doesn’t know about Ginny though “ I thought it would be best not to say anything to her yet.”

“Yeah,” Harry said, fiddling with his dressing robe girdle. He could feel Deirdre looking at him, so he took a swig of tea, even though it was still hot.

“They’ll find her,” Deirdre said softly, and Harry looked up at her. “Ginny. The Order will find her.”

Harry nodded, his throat feeling tight. “I’ve been thinking of girl names,” he admitted, trying to change the subject slightly, “you know, for the baby when it comes. It’s a girl you know.”

“Two little girls,” Deirdre said, her eyes crinkling as she smiled. “I bet Lisle’s thrilled. So, what have you come up with?”

“Well,” Harry began, fidgeting a little, “I had thought of the name Amy. I haven’t told Ginny yet.”

“Amy,” Deirdre repeated, staring into space as though considering it. “That’s a pretty name. It means ‘beloved’. Have you thought of a middle name?”

“Well…” Harry continued, knowing he had thought of the perfect middle name, “I think Amy Joy sounds nice. It’s not too fancy, but not too plain.”

Deirdre smiled and sipped at her tea. “I agree.”

“Harry!”

Harry looked up. Tonks was standing in the doorway, panting as though she had run a long way. He leapt up.

“What is it?” he demanded. “Did you find something else belonging to her?”

Tonks clutched her side and panted hard. “Not exactly. Harry “ we found Ginny…and Draco Malfoy was with her.”

****


Ginny stood next to Malfoy, who was supporting her with his right arm. She felt exhausted by the entire happenings of the night, and all she wanted now was to see Harry and Lisle, and to check if they were all right. The rain was falling lightly now “ the storm had passed. The sky was inky blue and streaked with red, and the sun was only just beginning to rise. Ginny could tell it was at least five o’clock in the morning.

“Ginny! Is that you?”

Ginny peered at a figure running towards her “ three others were following.

“Tonks?”

Ginny jogged towards Tonks, who hugged her tightly when she came nearer, whooping with delight.

“We were so WORRIED!” she exclaimed, as the others caught up. Ginny recognised Kingsley Shacklebolt and Remus Lupin, and there was another member of the Order whom she did not know.

“We’re so glad you’re safe,” Tonks continued, as Remus gave her a fatherly sort of hug. “Harry was beside himself “ he’s worried sick. Lisle’s all right though “ she’s still asleep “ what happened to you?”

Ginny held up her hand to silence Tonks, and turned to Malfoy. He was looking rather nervous.

“What’s he doing here?” Kingsley asked dismissively, while Tonks looked as though she might beat him up.

“I know you all think he’s a Death Eater,” Ginny said quickly, stopping Tonks from pelting at Malfoy, “but he’s got evidence that he changed “ he’s the one who saved me “ and I would probably still be kidnapped if it wasn’t for him. Please “ believe me.”

Ginny looked round at them pleadingly. Remus was wearing a grave expression, Kingsley looked as though there was a bad smell in the air, and Tonks looked simply livid.

“I want to see Harry,” Ginny continued, softly. “Is he here?”

Tonks nodded, not taking her gaze off Malfoy. “I’ll go get him,” she replied, before sprinting up the road.

Ginny sat down on the pavement, her hand resting on her large bump. Kingsley glared at Malfoy, who was looking as though he wanted the earth to swallow him up. The minutes passed in long silence “ only broken by the twittering of birds waking up.

Soon enough, Ginny spotted Harry running towards her, followed by Tonks. Ginny leapt up and jogged as quick as she could to reach Harry.

“Ginny!” he exclaimed hoarsely, hugging her tightly. “I was so worried!”

Ginny felt happy tears creep up as she hugged Harry. He gently picked up her chin and kissed her, and she kissed him back.

Harry eventually broke off, looking at Malfoy with a scowl. He began to walk up to him, but Ginny intervened.

“Harry, I know what you think he is, but he’s changed,” Ginny began hurriedly. Harry ignored Ginny and continued to glare at Ginny.

“Malfoy “ show him!” Ginny cried desperately. Malfoy pulled his sleeve up. There was a sudden intake of breath from Tonks as they looked at the mangled Dark Mark burned into his skin.

“I changed after Voldemort died,” Malfoy told them, shaking his sleeve back. “My father disowned me, so I’ve been living here and there for the past few years. Right now I’m living with a good friend, but I’m hunting for a house.”

Harry still looked as though he was not quite sure about Malfoy, but refrained from speaking. Instead, he put a protective arm around Ginny.

“Tell me exactly what happened,” he asked her.

Ginny explained everything, from the glass of orange juice, to the Death Eaters including Snape, and then explained how Malfoy had saved her by going through the air vents, and then Apparating back. Malfoy kept quiet, but kept an eye on Kingsley, who still looked a little suspicious.

“…And then we arrived back here,” Ginny ended after a good ten minutes of explaining. Harry looked at Malfoy for a few seconds, then extended his hand to shake. Malfoy looked surprised but grasped Harry’s hand and shook it.

“I’d like to just say “ thanks “ I guess,” Harry told Malfoy awkwardly. “If you hadn’t saved Ginny I dread to think of where she might be now.”

Malfoy acknowledged this and gave Harry a curt nod. “You’re welcome.”

“Er “ not to break up this little party, but we’d better head back up to the house,” Tonks cut in, and everyone looked round at her. “I mean “ the rest of the Order want to know you’re safe, Ginny.”

Ginny nodded. “Let’s go then.”

And the group headed up the road, back to the house, where the others were waiting.

****


“I assure you that I am fine, Mrs. Jones. Thank you so much for looking after Lisle,” Ginny said, telling who had seemed the tenth person to ask about how she was. Mrs. Jones smiled.

“My pleasure, dear, I’m glad you’re safe,” she said, patting Ginny on the arm. “I’ll just take this empty pot of tea to the kitchen.”

And she walked off, leaving Ginny in the dining room, which faced the back garden. Ginny peered out of the window and saw Malfoy pacing round the garden, looking as though he did not want to intrude. Ginny smiled, and walked out to the garden.

She stepped down the steps into the back garden and onto the lawn. Malfoy noticed her and stopped pacing.

“Hey,” Ginny said, walking over to him. “I’d like to just thank you again for saving my life Malfoy. I’m sorry I hit you.”

Malfoy smiled a genuine smile and waved a hand. “Don’t mention it. It hurt a little, but I deserve it, for once being a Death Eater.”

Ginny smiled. “Maybe I can hug you goodbye then?”

“Yeah, okay,” Malfoy said. Ginny put her arms around him in a friendly manner and he did the same. It was a brief hug, but Malfoy grinned as he stepped away from her.

“Have a nice life,” he told her, and she nodded and smiled.

“Same to you,” she said.

“Hey Malfoy!”

The pair turned and saw Harry running up to them, looking determined.

“Potter,” he said. Harry gave him a curt nod.

“I’d like to just say “ you did a good thing Malfoy,” Harry said. “I wouldn’t have expected it from you, but I guess I expected wrongly. I suppose I’m trying to say “ well thanks.”

Malfoy nodded. “I understand. I guess it’s goodbye now.”

He extended his hand to Harry who shook it, and smiled.

“See you two around,” Malfoy said with a wave, and with a loud pop he Disapparated.

Harry slipped his arm around Ginny, who kissed him softly on the lips.

“Oh Harry “ I was so scared,” she admitted, hugging him. “That whole time I thought that they might do something to you or Lisle “ ”

Harry took her firmly by the shoulders, cutting her off. “It’s all right Ginny. All that matters right now is that you’re safe, Lisle’s safe, I’m safe and the baby’s safe.”

Ginny smiled and exhaled loudly, resting her cheek against Harry’s shoulder.

“And speaking of the baby,” Harry began, straightening his glasses, “I’ve thought of a name for her.”

Ginny sighed and let out a groan. “Harry for the last time, I am not letting you call her Edwina…”

“That’s not the one I was thinking of,” Harry told her. Ginny straightened up and looked at him.

“Oh,” she said, grinning sheepishly. “Let’s hear it then.”

“Well,” Harry said, “I wondered if you liked the name Amy. It means ‘beloved’. And for a middle name I liked Joy. See, it’s not too fancy and it’s not too plain.”

Ginny considered for a moment. “Amy Joy…” she said aloud, going over it in her head.

“It’s all right if you don’t like it,” Harry began quickly, but Ginny smiled at him.

“I like that,” she said, slipping her arm around his waist. “It seems to rhyme, in an odd sort of way. Let’s keep it for her.”

Harry grinned down at Ginny and hugged her again, patting her bump.

“Hello Amy,” he said to Ginny’s stomach. “Your mother and I, and your big sister are looking forward to meeting you.”

Ginny grinned and looked through the trees, and watched the golden, red-streaked horizon, feeling happy and contented as she stood in Harry’s arms.

Now she felt…safe.

****



A/N: Awwww! Now doesn’t that make up for me being so evil in the last chapter? Sorry the baby isn’t born yet, but at least it has a name! Please don’t be mad that I didn’t pick some of the names that were suggested, but I could only pick one! (Well actually two “ a middle and first). See you next chapter!
PS. I know the Malfoy being good is a little AU, but its not that bad, but I just put a little warning in the summary anyways...

Oh and another PS here, about the masked gun man in chapter 7? I know some of you wondered why he was holding a gun, and when i wrote chapter 8 i realised the gun thing didn't really fit - so I've gone back and changed it to wand. Just so you know. :)