Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The New Surprise by rache

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The next few days were tiring for Ginny. A few members of the Order had been round several times, checking up on her, to see if she was all right. Harry was doing all he could to help her, and she spent a lot of time lounging on the sofa, her feet propped up on a stool, reading Witch Weekly.

Lisle didn’t know about Ginny being kidnapped. Harry and Ginny had decided not to tell her, in fear of upsetting her. As Ginny had taken to sitting on the couch most of the day, Lisle hopped onto her lap, either for a cuddle or for a story with Ginny.

It had been a week now, since the incident, and Ginny knew that the baby would be born very soon, so she took the Healer’s advice, and did not do much strenuous exercise, so as not to strain herself. She was growing tired, and her fingers and toes were swelling up. She had taken her engagement ring off, and put it in a safe box upstairs. Lisle had been allowed to try it on briefly before she did so (and the little girl enjoyed being so “grown up”).

On Saturday, the fifth of August, while Ginny was sitting in the front room reading a Muggle book Hermione had lent her (The Da Vinci Code), Harry came in with a mug of tea and a couple of chocolate chip cookies on a plate. He was wearing a pink flowery apron (which Ginny recognised) and his wand was tucked behind his ear for safekeeping. Ginny put her book down and eyed him up and down, a smile playing on her lips.

“Well don’t you look dashing,” she said, grinning at him. “Borrowed my apron? Since when do you cook?”

Harry looked a little sheepish. “Er “ the kitchen’s in a bit of a mess,” he confessed, as Ginny raised her eyebrows, “but I’ll clear it up, I swear. I just made some cookies “ I thought you could use a cup of tea and a snack.”

“Thanks,” Ginny said, taking the mug and plate, scooting along a little so Harry could sit down. “Where’s Lisle?”

“She’s in the garden, playing with Georgia,” Harry said. Georgia was their next door neighbor, a responsible, fourteen-year old witch whom Lisle adored. “She offered to baby-sit while I was baking.”

“Well, I trust Georgia, she’s very good with Lisle,” Ginny said, taking a bite of cookie. “Mm…Harry these are great!”

“Er “ thank you,” Harry replied. “Although the first two batches were burnt, but third time lucky eh?”

“Yeah,” Ginny said, nonchalantly, scanning her eyes over the room. She suddenly caught sight of the cupboard and remembered what she had found in it.

“Harry?” Ginny asked, looking back at him. “You know the other day “ when I was kidnapped? I came down for a drink in the middle of the night, as I told you, and while I was down I noticed that cupboard door was open “ and I saw…I saw your Pensieve.”

Harry frowned. “Yes, I came down a bit later to find the cupboard door swinging open. I thought “ perhaps maybe you had fallen into my thoughts.”

There was a slight pause, while Ginny thought.

“Were you “ er “ planning on telling me, or were they private thoughts?” she asked. Harry sighed.

“No, they weren’t very private,” he answered, “but I didn’t think it would bother you, that’s all.”

“Oh, I’m not bothered,” Ginny said quickly, with a smile. “I didn’t see anything “ except for the note.”

There was another slight pause.

“Harry?” Ginny asked tentatively.

“Mmm?”

“Do you mind if I “ I dunno “ use the Pensieve sometimes, to store some of my thoughts?”

Harry looked back at her, his jaw moving slowly as he munched his cookie. Then he swallowed and cleared his throat.

“I don’t mind you using it,” he said. “Just make sure it stays shut, okay? I don’t want Lisle falling into it and seeing something she wouldn’t understand.”

Ginny nodded. “Yeah,” she said, sitting back, rubbing her belly. She moaned softly.

“I’m so tired,” she whined, stifling a yawn. “Being pregnant is great, but it does get boring after a while.”

Harry grinned. “You know, we haven’t had time to just be together for a while now,” he said, pointing his wand to the door, and it shut with a snap. “Lisle’s out in the garden and won’t be back in for a bit…”

A smile crept onto Ginny’s face. “You can’t mean…” she began, but Harry started to kiss her. Not wanting to object, Ginny kissed him back. They had been kissing for a few minutes when Ginny felt a harsh, sudden pain in her stomach. She broke off, looking puzzled.

“What’s the matter?” Harry asked her. She shook her head.

“Nothing “ it’s “ I thought it was perhaps…”

Her voice trailed away, but after a few seconds of waiting, she resumed kissing Harry. Then, about half a minute later, Ginny felt the pain again.

She broke off for the second time. She put a hand on her stomach and gritted her teeth while another wave of pain came over her.

“Harry “ I “ think…” Ginny began, but Harry jumped up, his face suddenly very serious.

“She’s coming, isn’t she?”

Ginny nodded, clasping her stomach.

Harry didn’t need telling twice. “Stay right here,” he told her, rushing off to the dining room, “I’m sending St. Mungos a memo straightaway.”

“Okay,” Ginny said, through clenched teeth. The pain subsided for a moment, and she relaxed. She was beginning to feel she had imagined it all when Harry came rushing back into the room.

“I’ve sent them a memo,” he said breathlessly, “and your hospital bag is upstairs, I’ve got it in the hallway “ ”

“Harry,” Ginny said, feeling her stomach. “The pain “ it’s gone.”

Only as she said it, something wet poured down her leg, making a wet patch on the sofa. Both Harry and Ginny stared at it, amazed.

“Right,” Ginny said shakily, “well that means…”

Harry nodded, shaking. “Come on,” he said, helping her up, his hands quivering. She stood crookedly, pain twisting at her belly. “I’ll Floo your mum and dad, and get them to take Lisle to the hospital. There’s no time to wait for them after we’ve informed them “ we’ll leave Lisle with Georgia and then they can collect her here and take her. Wait here while I Floo your parents.”

He gave her an encouraging smile and Ginny walked out into the corridor as he dashed back to fireplace. She sat on the squashy chair in the corridor as she waited. Her ‘emergency labour’ bag as Harry called it sat on the hall table. Ginny picked it up gently and looked through it. Two pairs of baggy tracksuit pants and baggy shirts, clean socks, underwear, disposable diapers, her washbag…etc. She smiled as she pulled out a little pocket picture album. The first picture was of her, Harry and Lisle all standing together. Lisle was waving and sticking her tongue out cheekily, and Harry was laughing, his arm around Ginny. The photographic Ginny beamed at Harry and waved as well.

“Ready?”

Ginny looked up. Harry was standing there. She closed the album, and stood up. Suddenly she felt another contraction and gritted her teeth. Harry took her arm. Ginny let out a slow screech as the pain reached an aching climax, but after a while it slowly went away, and she opened her eyes (which had been screwed shut) to see Harry looking concernedly at her.

“I’m okay,” she panted, wiping her sweaty forehead. “I just have to get to St. Mungos “ now…”

Harry nodded. “Come on, I’ll help you,” he said helping her walk to the dining room. When they had reached the fireplace Harry threw a handful of Floo Powder into it. Green flames shot up.

“We’ll go together, even though it’ll be a bit of a squeeze,” he said, helping Ginny into the fire. Warm flames tickled Ginny’s elbows and chin.

“St. Mungos!” Harry cried once they were in properly. Ginny felt the familiar sickening spinning, the whooshing sounds and little glimpses of other wizard’s fireplaces as they sped through the green flames…

“Ginny? Do you have a moment?”

Ginny spun around. Harry was standing behind her, looking rather nervous. She smiled at him, and planted a kiss on his cheek.

It was late October, and the trees had lost their leaves. They lay in beautiful orange and red mounds, which Lisle had taken to jumping in at any chance she got. The Burrow looked lovely in autumn “ Ginny thought it was perhaps her favourite season.

Ginny heard a soft shriek further away and she looked up. Fred and George were tipping leaves over Lisle. She retaliated and got a handful of leaves squarely in George’s face. Hermione sat on the fence next to Ron and laughed at the twin’s rough play. Ginny grinned at Harry.

“Looks like Lisle’s having fun, doesn’t she?” Harry commented, his eyes growing soft as he watched his four-year-old daughter playing with her uncles.

“Yeah,” Ginny said, watching Harry’s face. “She adores it now. Especially with you here.”

Harry’s cheeks grew slightly red. “Which brings me to what I was about to say,” he said, “but I’d prefer to talk to you on your own “ mind if we take a walk?”

Ginny smiled, her heart speeding up. “Of course not,” she said, taking his outstretched hand.

Ginny felt the leaves and twigs crunch beneath her feet as she walked on with Harry. He didn’t say anything “ but he held her hand, not too tightly, but in a way that told Ginny he didn’t want to let it go. The wintry breeze blew and Ginny shivered, hugging the jumper she wore against her chest tightly. Suddenly, Harry stopped and let go of her hand. Puzzled, Ginny stopped as well.

“Harry, what’s going “ ” she began, but he raised a finger to her lips to silence her.

“I’m going to blindfold you now, okay?” he said, holding up a red scarf. “I want to show you something “ but it’s got to be a surprise. So, I need to know that you will trust me to guide you, and not take the blindfold off. Can you do that?”

Ginny felt puzzled. She hadn’t a clue what Harry was up to. “Harry, I don’t understand…”

“Ginny, do you trust me?”

Ginny looked up into his bold green eyes. He was watching her, patiently, but with a hunger in them, and Ginny knew what her answer was straight away.

“I trust you.”

Harry smiled widely. “Good,” he said. “Shut your eyes.”

Ginny obeyed, and felt the pressure of cloth wrap around her eyes and felt Harry tie it at the back of her head. She didn’t speak “ but she felt Harry’s hand in hers, guiding her steps. They carried on for a bit “ neither speaking “ until Harry stopped, and held out a hand to stop Ginny.

“Harry, where am I?” she asked, but she felt his finger cover her lips, silencing her.

“You’ll see,” he said, undoing the knot at the back of her head. Slowly, he took the blindfold off her eyes.

“Now look.”

Ginny opened her eyes and gasped. They were standing in what looked like autumn in heaven “ a clear blue waterfall splashed into a pond nearby. They were surrounded by willows that had been charmed to keep their leaves “ but they were orange not green. Mounds of fiery-coloured leaves lay under every tree trunk, and glowing lanterns hung from the branches, glowing in the twilight sky. A stone bench sat under the biggest willows, the tips of their branches just skimming the stone. Ginny felt breathless. She turned to Harry for an explanation, but he merely grinned back.

“Like it?” he murmured softly. “I hoped you would.”

Ginny’s throat had tightened. “Oh Harry…It’s gorgeous…”

He took her hand. Leading her over to the bench, he let her sit first, and sat next to her. Then he looked straight into her eyes.

“Ginny “ there’s so much I need to tell you about. First of all, I want to apologize. I’ve been away, fighting Voldemort. I wanted to keep you safe “ because I knew if I didn’t he would get you “ I couldn’t let that happen. When you told me about Lisle for the first time I couldn’t believe it. All the time I spent away I felt terrible. Each day I woke up feeling that I had let you down. I don’t ever want to hurt you Ginny “ I love you so much.”

Tears welled in Ginny’s eyes. Harry squeezed her hand.

“I kept feeling scared in those nine months you were pregnant and I was away. I felt like I wasn’t ready for it “ I thought I wouldn’t be able to handle being a father. But then, when I saw her for the first time in St. Mungos I completely forgot about my fears. I knew from the moment that I held her that I loved her as much as I loved you. I didn’t want to leave “ I wanted to stay and be a father, be with you, but I knew I hadn’t finished the war. I knew that was what Voldemort wanted “ and I didn’t want put you or Lisle’s life at risk.”

The tears fell down Ginny’s cheeks. Harry lifted his thumb and wiped them away. The willow trees swayed softly, whispering in the breeze.

“Now it’s over, Ginny. The war, Voldemort, his Horcruxes, they’re all gone. I’ve been spending time with you and Lisle over these past three months since I returned “ and I love you both so much. I want to be here for you all the time. I promise I will protect you both “ nobody will hurt you.”

Ginny wiped her cheeks, which were damp with tears. “Harry “ I love you too. I thought you’d never come back. I waited desperately “ I was so scared he’d kill you, but he never did. I’m so glad you’re safe and that you’re here now. That’s what I need.”

Harry held her in his arms as she spoke, stroking her hair. “I need more, Ginny. I want more.”

Ginny looked up. “What “ what do you mean?”

Harry slid onto the ground, on one knee. He took a small, black, velvet box from his pocket. Ginny’s eyes widened.

“Ginny, I love you. I’m proud of you, and I trust you. You are everything that completes me. You keep me together. I want to spend the rest of my life with you, Gin.”

He opened the box and sitting on the red cushion inside was the most beautiful diamond ring Ginny had ever seen. Her eyes shone with tears.

“Will you marry me, Ginny?”

Ginny felt her heart bursting with happiness. She felt as though somebody had let off fireworks in her head, and she wanted to jump up and down with joy. She wiped a tear away.

“Yes,” she said, sobbing and laughing at the same time. Harry slipped the ring onto her finger and hugged her tightly, tears falling from his own eyes.

The trees whispered in the wind and the waterfall made soft splashing noises. No words were said between Harry and Ginny, both just shed tears of happiness as they held each other under the willow tree.



“Ginny! Oh thank goodness you’re alright!”

Molly whirled through the doors of the hospital room Ginny was in. She was holding Lisle’s hand, and Arthur followed, looking concerned.

Ginny smiled weakly from her the bed she was lying on. “Yeah “ Harry’s been good with the contractions so far “ but I think I just broke his fingers squeezing his hand.”

She looked up at Harry, who was nursing his hand. He smiled back at her.

“Well it can’t be as bad as labour, I reckon,” he said. Healer Smith bustled back in the room, holding a clipboard.

“Ah, Mrs. Potter,” she said, smiling at her. “I’ve just spoken with some of the other Healers. I will be delivering your baby.”

“Thank you,” Ginny said.

“Mummy,” Lisle said, hoisting herself onto the bed beside Ginny, “what’s happening?”

“It’s okay, Lisle,” Ginny said, stroking her daughter’s hair. “Your baby sister is on the way “ Amy.”

Lisle’s face broke into a grin. “Really?”

Ginny smiled. “You bet.”

“Dear “ are you alright?” Molly said, putting a hand on Ginny’s. “This means the baby is a little early, doesn’t it?”

“By three weeks, yes, but Healer Smith said Amy is perfectly healthy,” Ginny assured Molly, as Harry and Arthur began talking to Healer Smith. Molly smiled.

“Don’t look so nervous!” she said, encouragingly. “It’s so wonderful to think that our third granddaughter is on the way…”

Ginny smiled at her mother. “Yeah, I can’t believe it’s our second already. It seems like only yesterday Lisle was born.”

“I know…” Molly sighed, looking at Lisle, who had followed Harry and was holding his hand now. “She’s grown up so fast…it’s hard to believe she was once a baby too.”

“Ron and Hermione “ are they coming or do they not know?” Ginny asked. “It’s just Hermione said she didn’t want to miss this.”

“Oh yes dear, Hermione, Ron, Fred, George, Bill, Fleur “ they’re all coming. Except for Percy, Penelope and Charlie and their families, who can’t make it,” Molly said earnestly. Ginny felt relieved.

“Oh good,” she said. “I’m glad they could “ ”

But her words were cut short as the door burst open once more. Ginny caught a glimpse of bushy brown hair amongst the redheads that hurled in.

“Oh Ginny! We heard all about everything “ are you okay? It’s early!”

Hermione pushed her way to Ginny’s bedside, bending over to examine her. Ginny laughed as Ron, Fred and George all crowded round as well.

“I’m alright!” she said as they looked at her up and down anxiously. “Yes, it’s unexpected because it’s early but “ ooh!”

Ginny screwed her eyes up in pain, putting her hands on her stomach. Another contraction started up, more painful than any of the previous ones. Healer Smith bustled over.

“Excuse me, this woman is in labour!” she said, counting the heads. “I would like only three people in here “ ”

She stopped and looked round at Ginny, who had let out an agonizing groan.

“I “ this “ hurts!” she gasped. Healer Smith chivvied everyone outside.

“Right “ everyone “ OUT! I would like just one member of family in here “ the baby is finally on its way!”

***


Five minutes later, everyone had gone out of the room. Ginny was feeling pain beyond pain. Harry was standing beside her, whispering words of comfort.

“Right, Mrs. Potter,” Healer Smith said, smiling calmly. “You’re at ten centimetres “ that means you are able to give birth. Now I don’t want you to start pushing until the contractions are five seconds apart, all right? Now just concentrate on relaxing don’t tense your muscles up.”

Ginny nodded, beads of sweat forming on her forehead. Another contraction started. She gritted her teeth and squeezed Harry’s hand.

“All right, when I say so, start pushing, don’t push too hard yet, and then when I say so, push as hard as you can,” Healer Smith said, calmly. Ginny braced herself, her heart beating fast.

“Okay, push!”

Ginny pushed hard, letting out a screech as she held Harry’s hand. Healer Smith nodded.

“Good “ now push again “ a little harder!”

Ginny pushed harder, sweating profusely now. Harry patted her on the shoulder.

“You’re doing great, Ginny,” he whispered.

“I think I see a head crowning,” Healer Smith said, smiling. Harry looked around.

“Yeah I see it “ a head, Ginny!” he said excitedly.

“Okay “ now after three, I want you to push with all your might,” Healer Smith commanded. “One…two…three!”

Ginny pushed as hard as she possibly could “ her eyes screwed up tight. She shrieked with pain “ she felt as though she was trying to move a heavy boulder up a flight of steep steps and she couldn’t do it. The next thing she could hear was Harry whooping in delight and the familiar sound of a very young infant crying. Her eyes flew open.

A tiny pink baby girl was crying in Healer Smith’s arms. She was waving her little arms around, her eyes closed tight and her mouth a little circle. Ginny felt speechless as she watched the nurse clean her with a simple cleaning spell and wrap her in a blanket.

Harry sat down on the bed with Ginny as the nurse handed Amy to Ginny. Ginny felt her breath catch in her throat as she looked down at her new daughter. She was tiny “ absolutely beautiful, even though she was crying. She had masses of lovely red hair, and when she opened her eyes, Ginny saw that they were emerald green, just like Harry’s. Ginny felt tears in her eyes as she smiled down at Amy. Soon the tears were running down her face as she handed Amy to Harry, who had tears in his eyes as well.

“She’s absolutely beautiful,” he said softly, as Ginny leaned against him, smiling, “and she looks just like you.”

Amy’s cries gradually grew softer as she opened up her big green eyes and stared at the surroundings. Ginny kissed her forehead.

“Hello there, Amy,” she whispered. “You’re so tiny “ yet I can hardly believe that you fit inside me for nine months. Lisle’s your big sister “ she’s longing to see you.”

Amy peered up at Ginny, her eyes wide. Harry put an arm around Ginny, and kissed her on the forehead. There was a knock on the door, which made Ginny and Harry look up. Healer Smith opened the door and Ginny saw her parents, Lisle, Hermione and Ron waiting outside.

“Excuse me “ are you all family?” Healer Smith asked, firmly, but Ginny cut across.

“No, let them in, it’s okay,” she said. Smith let them pass, rather reluctantly. Lisle came bounding forward “ glee written all over her face.

“Can I see her? Can I see her?” she begged excitedly. Ginny laughed and pulled her onto the bed while everyone crowded around.

Lisle’s brown eyes widened as she looked at her little sister. “Can I hold her, please, please?”

Harry grinned. “Sit still,” he commanded, as he carefully placed Amy in Lisle’s lap. Lisle looked ecstatic.

“I’m a big sister now,” she said proudly to Fred and George, who were standing next to her. Hermione had a hand over her mouth.

“She’s beautiful,” she whispered softly, as Ron put his arm over her shoulder. “Oh Ginny…Harry…”

Everyone had a turn holding her, and while they were all busy with her, Harry slipped his hand in Ginny’s. She looked up at him, an exhausted smile on her face.

“I’m really proud of you,” he said, planting a kiss on her cheek. “I can’t believe she’s here “ and so early! You must be shattered.”

Ginny sighed. “I know “ I’m absolutely exhausted “ but I’m so delighted too.”

Harry smiled warmly. “Me too.”

As Harry kissed her, Ginny felt as though she wanted to laugh, cry and smile all at the same time. She couldn’t even remember what the pain felt like now. There were more important things than pain “ or discomfort. She had what she’d always wanted her whole life “ her own family, with two lovely daughters and a husband she loved dearly.

And that,Ginny thought, is what’s most important after all.