Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Head Over Feet by Liisa

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 19 “ Are We Having Fun Yet?

“It’s not like you didn't know that
I said I love you and I swear I still do
It's not like you to say sorry
I was waiting on a different story.”

- “How You Remind Me” by Nickleback

----

“Too big. Too flashy. Too…”

“Too expensive,” Ron said with a shudder, placing the ring back down.

Harry picked up another one, examining it for a moment before putting it back. “I think the problem is that I’m not used to jewelry having anything to do with Hermione. The thought can’t register.”

Ron gave him a punch in his arm before turning back to a new set of rings.

Rubbing his arm, Harry went and sat across from Ron, pretending to examine more rings. “All I’m saying is that it’s got to be some special type of ring for her. She won’t just fit in with the same old diamond.”

Ron looked up at him with a wicked grin. “I know.”

Harry gave him a sly look. “Yes, I’m sure you do.”

Accepting the challenge, Ron crossed his arms ruefully, smiling over at Harry. “And you’re the expert on this, yes? Tell me, how many people have you proposed to in your life?”

“Is that ‘how many people I have wanted to propose to’ or ‘how many people have I actually proposed to’?”

Ron looked confused. “Is there a difference?”

“Unfortunately, yes. But that is beside the point. The point is that we might have to visit a few more stores before we actually find something.”

“I’m not done here,” Ron reminded him, going back to examining more rings. “And you promised me a whole day. Sit your arse down and help me.”

Harry reluctantly began to examine more rings that the jeweler brought over. After a few moments of silence, Ron spoke up again.

“You never answered my question, you know.”

“I was hoping you would be your ignorant self and not notice,” Harry admitted, holding up a ring for Ron to examine.

“Too small. Ignorant self?”

“Usually I can slip stuff like that past you,” Harry admitted, pulling out another one for Ron to judge. “Hermione must be rubbing off on you.”

“Kind of how the silver is rubbing off of that ring onto your finger,” Ron commented, laughing as Harry quickly put the ring back. “Should I be taking that as a compliment?”

“If you like,” Harry agreed.

“So tell me.” Ron opened a new case with ten more rings. They were all too large.

“Which one, the first or second?”

“Well, why not tell me who you would have wanted to propose to.”

Harry held up another ring. “Thought that one would have been obvious.”

“Oooo…I like that one,” Ron commented, reaching forward to try to take it out of Harry’s hand, but Harry pulled it back.

“Too late, I bought it four years ago.”

Ron gave him a surprised look. “You’re serious?”

“Unfortunately,” Harry commented wirily as he put the ring back in his pocket. “More unfortunate than that is the fact that I doubt I’m ever going to use it now.”

A sort of pitiful look crossed Ron’s face. “What makes you think so?”

Harry shrugged. “Just a hunch.”

“Well if you want me to take it off your hands right now-“

“Not a chance,” Harry said too quickly.

Ron gave a satisfied chuckle, going back to examine more rings. “That’s what I though.”


----

Remus was the first to figure out where he was. But there was no real surprise there. Next to Ron Weasley, Remus Lupin had the confidence of Harry Potter.

Remus stopped short as he went up the aisle, frowning as he saw Harry intently looking at a number of books, flipping through them quickly before returning them to the shelf. He heard a noise behind him and turned to see Draco had caught up with him and was looking at Harry with confusion.

“What in Merlin’s name is he doing?” Draco whispered, sounding just as confused as Remus felt.

“I haven’t the foggiest,” Remus admitted. “This was just a stop on the way to his house, but I guess we’ve found him already…”

“A library?” Draco sounded suspicious. “What’s a bloke doing in a library at a time like this.”

“There are many different answers to that question, Draco,” Remus admitted, motioning Draco to follow him as he started towards Harry, “but the best one, I’m sure, is yet to come.”

The walked nonchalantly up to Harry who was so involved in his latest book that he didn’t notice them till Remus’ shadow covered the page. He jumped slightly, looking over at them with an innocent face.

“Yes?”

“Extra credit?” Remus questioned, motioning towards Harry’s book.

He closed the book quickly and returned it to the shelf, starting to scan for others. “I’m thinking of taking up Chinese. Mandarin or whatever.”

“Language?” Draco asked.

“Language, lifestyle….” Harry wasn’t paying much attention to them, despite their close proximity and picked another book. “Has excellent weather during April.”

Remus frowned. “What does?”

“China.”

Draco blew out a frustrated sigh. “Potter, you’re not making any sense.”

Harry closed his latest book with a snap and finally turned to them again. “China. Beautiful weather. Rather cheap housing expenses.”

“Since when do you need cheap housing expenses?” Remus queried.

“I’m just saying, is all,” Harry went back to another book.

Remus and Draco turned to each other, exchanging “he’s-whacked-out” looks and then turning back to Harry.

“Hermione’s worried about you.”

Remus’ statement prompted a dark look from Harry. “Why?”

“Harry, no one’s seen you for the past 12 hours, not since you ditched me at the Quidditch pitch.” Draco was getting frustrated, but Remus was just getting annoyed when Harry didn’t bother reply, just turned back to another book.

“Harry,” he grabbed the younger man’s arm and turned him to face them. “Running off to China isn’t going to fix anything.”

Harry frowned in confusion. “Too close? I was thinking New Zealand, but they speak English there.”

“What’s that got to do with anything?” Draco snapped.

“Obviously it’s harder to blend in when every English speaking person, and quite a few others, in the world knows your name.” Harry said ‘matter-of-factly’.

“So you’re blending in in China where you can’t even speak the language?”

“I was learning.”

“Enough!”

Remus hushed them both and when they turned to him, he fixed his gaze on Harry. He didn’t say anything, just stared at him for a few moments before Harry finally crumbled and put the books back on the shelf.

“Well, it was just a back up plan,” he admitted, letting them lead him out of the library.

----

Ron had wanted to stay in his bed that morning. It had been warm and cozy under the covers, though not as cozy as it could have been had Hermione not still been in the hospital. But after a day like yesterday, Sunday press conferences were going to be whacked out to the hilt, especially if Emily went through on her promise and handed someone that letter.

As he dragged his body out of bed and started getting ready for the day, he was surprised by how calm he was. He finally realized that it was because the people he cared about the most already knew the truth…and everyone else would just have to deal with it.

After all, there was anything he could do to change it now.

Hermione knew, and that was what mattered.

Harry knew as well, but frankly, Ron didn’t care about seeing his best friend ever again.

That thought was still firm in his head when he entered the Cannon’s stadium and found Harry waiting there, sitting patiently and looking as innocent as he had the day they had first meant. But it didn’t mean anything to Ron anymore. And according to Harry’s actions, it didn’t mean anything to Harry either.

So Ron resolutely ignored any and all of Harry’s words as he swiftly walked by him and entered his office, shutting Harry out behind him.

----

The more colorful curses that Sirius had let slip around Harry were now slipping rapidly out of Harry’s mouth as he saw Ron’s office door slam and lock, and Harry’s composure fell a bit as he kicked a nearby wall.

“Bloody Weasley!” he cried, holding his bruised toe and hopping on one foot as Draco and Remus appeared from around the corner.

“Why didn’t you just shove the letter in his face?” Draco asked, indicating the fabled blackmail letter that Harry had clenched in his fist.

“I’m not just handing this over.” Harry stated forcefully. “He needs to know what it cost me.” He shivered involuntarily. “Almost being married to that woman…ugh.” Harry spat into the ground, as if there was a bad taste in his mouth and started out of the locked room and into the brightness of the Quidditch field.

“Let’s get out of here. I’m obviously not going to get anywhere with Ron and there will be reporters here soon.” Harry led the three of them out of the stadium and towards the apparition point.

“What are you going to do now?” Remus asked. “Understand that China is still out of the question.”

Harry gave him a withered look. “Look, I need to go see Hermione alone and explain. She’s overwhelmed enough with everything that’s been going on.”

“What are we supposed to do?” Draco asked. “I, for one, am not inclined to leave you alone again.” He turned to Remus. “Did we check him for sharp objects?”

“Enough!” Harry said, exasperated. “You two go find Ginny. She needs to hear a few things as well.”

And with that, he took a single step back and disapperated with a pop.

----

“He did WHAT??” Ginny cried.

Remus took an involuntary step backwards, not inclined to face the youngest Weasley’s wrath. Draco, on the other hand, didn’t seem the least bit intimidated.

“Chill, Weaslette,” Draco continued smoothly. “It’s not as if he doesn’t know how to handle himself around her.”

By now Ginny was pacing frantically around the room, as if trying to find something to maim. “If I ever get my hands on that little bi-“

“Let’s take it one step at a time, first,” Remus bravely stepped forward and tried to remain calm. “Harry’s going to be in hot water with Ron if Emily actually sent him that letter.”

Ginny scoffed, unconvinced. “Even Ron isn’t dense enough to think that Hermione and Harry would do anything like that.”

“At this moment we wouldn’t be so sure. Ron might take any opportunity to get mad at Harry, even if it is for something that’s practically improbable.”

Finally standing still again, Ginny looked at the two of them curiously. “Any reason why I am now getting involved with this? Harry hasn’t exactly been my best friend the past week.”

“Obviously explained by what he was trying to do with Emily,” Draco reminded her.

“You have to admit that if Harry hadn’t figured out a way to get that letter, Ron’s career, and possibly Hermione’s as well, would have been seriously compromised by the pres conference this morning.”

They all looked at the clock at the same time, seeing that the press conference was well underway by now.

“Look, Ron’s not going to be home for at least a half hour,” Draco said to Ginny. “Harry’s trying to figure something out with Hermione right now, and five heads are better than two.” He motioned with his head towards the fireplace.

Ginny gave them both a doubtful look.

“You’re his best friend, Ginny,” Remus said in all seriousness. “He needs you now more than ever.”

----

“I just think it’s better that he knows the exact truth!” Harry tried again, pleading nervously to Hermione who sat in a nearby chair, Gracie’s bassinet by her chair, both of them looking exhausted from the trip back home for the hospital.

“The truth?? Harry do you have any idea how upset Ron is with you right now?”

“For no bloody reason,” Harry murmured under his breath.

“Merlin, you’d swear it was fourth year with the both of you all over again.” Hermione gave him a scolding look.

“Well, this isn’t all my fault, remember. You’re not exactly at the pinnacle of innocence right now, Hermione. If I get in hot water, so do you.”

Hermione scoffed at him. “Well then, what do you suggest we do?”

“Tell the truth!” Harry practically shouted at her.

“And I’m telling you, that won’t work! Ron’s as stubborn as both of us put together, Harry. He’ll think the worst of it, even if he knows we’re just friends.”

They both sat in an uncomfortable silence for a few moments.

Hermione finally voiced the unspoken thought. “This would be a whole lot easier if you were just married by now.”

“Couldn’t agree more,” Harry sighed out, flopping down on the couch.

“Well it’s nice we’re all in agreement.”

Harry’s head snapped towards the familiar voice and saw Ginny, Draco and Remus coming in from the kitchen where they seemed to have just come through the floo.

“Ginny!”

She gave him an “I’ll-discuss-that-with-you-later” look and turned towards Hermione. “We’ve got a plan figured out, just follow our lead.”

“We?” Harry asked, his eyes flickering to Draco and Remus who gave him a wink.

“Ron’ll be home any moment,” Hermione said with anxiety. “There’s no time.”

“Just tell him the truth! Please, Hermione,” Harry went over to kneel by her chair, taking one of her hands in his. “Ron’s my best mate. I know he is.”

“No.” Hermione was firm. “No, Harry. Ron’s my husband and after getting out of your shadow, the slightest shove back toward it will throw him in a frenzy. Believe me, we must not tell him.” She gave him a pleading look. “Do whatever Ginny says, I don’t care what it is. Just please, promise me. Promise me you won’t tell him.”

Harry could feel Ginny, Draco and Remus’ eyes on his back and he took a shaking breath. “Alright. I promise.”

“That you will not tell me what?”

All ten eyes swiveled around in shock to see a furious Ron Weasley standing in the doorway, a familiar crumpled note in his hand and his eyes fixated on his best friend.

----

a/n: That was a pitifully long wait and I don’t think I can really apologize enough. I’m sorry if this chapter wasn’t worth the wait, but I’m hoping that the next (and final!) chapter will be :)