Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A New Beginning by MissPriss86

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Two: Under the Stars

Hermione arrived at the Burrow expecting to eat something warm and home-cooked by Mrs. Weasley, but her assumptions were incorrect. The four walked into the kitchen, and everything was surprisingly quiet. Ron spoke up. “The rest of them are on business for the order," he said quietly. Hermione tried not to look too disappointed. Ron took her bags for her and carried them upstairs. She followed, every step making a sharp pain throughout her body. When she finally reached her room, she was in so much pain that her eyes were actually smarting.

“Please, stay here," she gasped in between the surges of pain. Ron nodded slowly and helped her to her bed where she could sit down for a moment. She nearly collapsed two feet away from the bed and Ron grabbed her and set her on the ground slowly. He tried taking his hands from around her waist but found it hard. “What is it about her…she’s still the same old know-it-all isn’t she? Well…is she? I must be daft." he thought to himself.

He never took his hands from around her, but Hermione didn’t mind a bit. She was really hoping he wouldn’t. She had learned a thing or two about flirting from Ginny and planned to use them right now. She pretended to fall over weakly so her head was on his chest.

“Hermione?" Ron whispered, “Are you okay?"

Hermione made a little groaning noise as if she were in terrible pain. “Ron…I’m just…tired…I need to rest?" she replied in short breaths. “Why am I using these flirting tactics on Ron?" she asked herself, “I’m just…It’s just my injuries…oh who am I kidding?"

Ron loosened his grip from around her, and without thinking, found that his hand crept up to her face and was stroking her cheek. Hermione lifted her head up, expecting him to pull away, but he just looked at her with his beautiful eyes and that bright red hair of his seemed almost like a dream. “Am I dreaming?"

Ron wanted to do something spectacular. Something amazing. Hermione looked…almost scared. He leaned towards her; it was the longest twelve seconds of his life. Then, a small creak interrupted them and they both sharply pulled away.

“Just came up here to put this up," Harry faltered, pointing to his invisibility cloak.

“Erm…right," stumbled Ron. Harry turned and headed back to the kitchen, laughing to himself about what he had just witnessed. Ginny met him with a smile and brushed his shoulder as she walked by. How he wished he could be closer to her than this. He took a step towards her, then stopped himself. “What are you doing?" he asked himself, “Are you crazy? It’ll ruin everything…you cant" Harry sighed deeply.

“I know," said Ginny quietly. Harry shot her a questioning look. “Harry, you’re right…Voldemort might kill me, but what if I don’t care?" Ginny asked desperately.

Harry sighed very deeply and let go of all his feelings. He pulled her into a tight hug and locked his arms around her. “Because for the first time in my life I’m afraid of something. I can’t put on a brave face about this, Ginny I’ve tried. I couldn’t live if anything happened to you," he responded, his voice shaky.

Ginny pulled back so she could see his face and whispered, “Harry…that’s exactly how I feel about you. How do you think I’d feel if Voldemort killed you and I just stood there doing nothing? Harry, I’d die inside."

Harry stood there motionless. Deep down, he knew she was right. He couldn’t make himself not love her, not in a thousand years. She gave him a little grin and he bent over and kissed her, like he had done what seemed so long ago in the common room. Ginny wrapped her arms around his neck and closed her eyes, trying to remember this moment so she could keep it forever. Harry finally broke off and sat down with his head in his hands.

“Ginny…what if we’re wrong?" he asked pessimistically.

Ginny smiled, brightening his mood, and whispered in his ear, “Then at least we were together and not pretending to be something we both know we’re not."

Harry’s frown weakened. “How does this girl always do this to me?" Harry shook his head no, but he still had his arms around her.

“Why can’t we Harry? Tonks and Lupin had the exact same problem and Lupin realized that Tonks was right all along. Harry, you’re wrong too," stumbled Ginny as tears filled her eyes. Harry wanted to be with her so badly it was almost impossible to bear.

“Ginny…I know you’re right, but I just…we can't-" Harry couldn’t finish his sentence even if he wanted to, but Ginny never gave him the chance. She pulled him closer to her and kissed him. Ginny wanted him to change his mind but this only made Harry more confused. When she broke the kiss, tears were actually falling, and she knew he would never change his mind.

“I'm coming with you, Harry," she said sternly.

Harry sighed and whispered, “Yeah, I know…you're just like your mum."

Ginny laughed and wiped the tears from her face. “I'm going to bed," she said as she turned and walked up the stairs, “goodnight then." Harry followed her up the stairs and soon drifted to sleep next to Ron.

Ron woke up at around three AM a bit thirsty, so he crept quietly down the stairs. When he reached the bottom there was a figure in the kitchen. Ron drew his wand and edged ever so nearer. Suddenly, the figure turned around and they both yelled until the figure clasped a hand around Ron’s mouth. “Bloody hell Hermione, what are you doing?"

Hermione shot him a very mean look and replied, “Might I ask the same for you, Ronald?"

He poured himself a cup of water and held it up for an answer. Hermione rolled her eyes and sat at the table next to Ron. She gazed curiously out the window. Ron tried to see what she was looking at, but before he could figure it out Hermione said softly, “They’re so beautiful here." Ron smiled and took her hand. Before Hermione could say anything, he was leading her out the back door into the garden. Hermione could see the Burrow etched against the sky and it placed a very warm feeling in her heart.

“Close your eyes," panted Ron as they drew further away from the house. Hermione did as she was told, and indeed, closed her eyes.

Ron sat her down on an uneven surface and whispered, “Open them." Hermione opened her eyes.

They were surrounded by a sea of roses. “Oh Ron," she began, but Ron nodded his head upwards.

She gasped; Hermione had never seen so many stars in her life. It looked as if someone had enchanted the sky to have a million more stars than there really were. Ron seemed to have read her mind. “It’s real…I think this is why dad bought the place…Bill said when mum and dad were younger they would come here," he said quietly. Hermione nodded silently, and rested her head on his shoulder. “When did he get so tall?"

Ron placed his arm around her shoulder, careful of the gashes that still remained on her arm. “Did it hurt terribly?" he asked, memories of last night rushing to him.

Hermione nodded slowly and replied, “One minute I was holding my wand, and the next minute I was on the ground because I was terribly frightened, and…and..." she started crying, “Oh I was such a coward, Ron. I turned my back and then the curse-"

Ron silenced her. “Hermione, you are not a coward, do you know how Many times you’ve saved my life?" he asked with a small smile, “and we all did strange things last night," he finished.

Hermione still looked unconvinced. Ron splashed some water from his drink on her.

“RONALD!" Hermione exclaimed she took the cup from him and poured it all on his head. They both laughed, and Ron ran out of the little area and towards a cracked fountain in the center of the garden. When Hermione rounded the corner, he splashed her with water from the fountain and soon they were both drenched.

“Ronald Weasley!" she shouted playfully, “I'm never speaking to you again!"

Ron laughed and walked over to her, “Fine, I knew you liked that Harry Potter better than me!" he shouted, trying not to laugh. He turned on his heel and crossed his arms in a perfect Hermione-is-mad imitation. Hermione walked up behind him and put her hands over his eyes (she had to stand on her toes to reach).

“Guess who?" she whispered softly.

Ron turned around and wrapped his hands around her waist. “Gotchya!" he said playfully.

Hermione put her hands around his neck. She tried to speak but found she was at a loss for words. They stayed in this position for what seemed like hours just looking into each other’s eyes. Hermione’s soaked clothes stuck to her and Ron’s wet hair was pressed untidily against his forehead. He leaned forward as if to finish what was interrupted earlier.

She could feel his hair against her own forehead, then his nose against hers, then their lips were pressed together. She couldn’t think of anything, not the stars, or how wet she was, but the world stopped for her. When Ron pulled away he realized how cold he was in his wet clothes.

Hermione stopped and listened then said, “Ron...does it seem colder to you?"

They both looked up and to their horror, frost was creeping along the ground towards them…in the middle of the summer? Hermione saw it first and screamed. There in front of them stood two dementors. Ron looked up and saw two lights turn on in the house; Hermione’s scream had awoken Harry and Ginny.

“We’ve never done a patronus, and Harry will never make it."