Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Key of Merlin by didyoubelieve

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
I did not create magic, nor hp... Don't sue me, I love you!

Completely thrown by the sudden disappearance of Mrs. Figg's body, Harry remained quite still for a few seconds. Although he did not know what had just happened he was sure that it had something to do with dark magic. But before Harry had been able to summon his wits about him loud whip-like cracks sounded all around him. In the half darkness he could see about a dozen witches and wizards who had just apparated onto Privet Drive. Harry dove down on the ground, crouched low and tried to crawl away when he heard a familiar voice call out to him.

"Harry?" It was Remus Lupin, member of the Order and his old Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.

"Lupin?" Harry said whisperingly.

"Harry, you need to listen to me" Remus said quickly while moving towards Harry. Behind him Harry could see the rest of the Order members forming a ring, with all their backs turned inwards and their heads bowed. Slowly they started swaying and humming.

"Harry, listen. There is a biscuit tin of Floo Powder by Mrs. Figg's fireplace. I need you to use it to get to the Burrow." Remus looked agitated and was peering around as if to see if anybody was approaching them.

"What? No, Lupin, I need to tell you-- Something happened--" Harry stuttered, quite unsure of what was going on.

"The Order already knows about the murder of Mrs. Figg, ok?" Lupin was starting to look a very unnerved now. And the humming from the ring the Order members had created was growing louder by the minute. "Now you need to do as I tell you. Go to the Burrow, and wait there. Just bring your wand. That is all you will need at the moment."

And when Harry still remained immobile after he heard all this, Lupin gave him a shove and shouted "Go!".
As Harry started running towards Mrs. Figg's house he saw Lupin join in the circle with the other Order members, and Harry recognized a few of them. There was Mad-Eye Moody, who had also been Harry's Professor once, all tough unknowingly at the time. He was now swaying dangerously on his wooden leg as he hummed along with the others. Harry also spotted Tonks, because her bright bubblegum pink hair and youthful clothes made her stand out from the rest.

They were now chanting together, in what sounded like an ancient language that Harry certainly never had heard before. And suddenly they started singing so that Harry also could understand.


The Darkness this light shall Withstand
We art Strong, and shan't be Misled
The Dead shan't stray upon my Hand
The Living overpower Dead


The Order members kept repeating these 4 lines, and Harry stopped up as he heard these words. He had a sinking feeling that he knew what was about to happen, and his gut was telling him that he had to stay and help. He turned back toward the ring of Order members, to see small green dots of fuzzy light in the sky. The lights were descending slowly upon the ring, and growing stronger. Lupin looked up and noticed that Harry was still there.

"Harry! Get a move on. Go!" he shouted. Everybody in the ring started shaking slightly and Harry could see that Lupin was very unnerved by the fact that he was still there.

"Please go, Harry!" Lupin said, almost begging him. "There is no need for you to see what's going to happen, ok?"

Harry understood, and nodded briefly. Then he turned and ran as quickly as he could to the street corner, where Mrs. Figg's house was. But as he took one last look back he could see the greenish corpses descending all around the ring of people in the middle of the street. Once again, he had to fight the urge to run back. But he knew that Lupin wanted what was best for him, and he did not want him to get hurt. Lupin also knew that Harry was a very competent wizard, and the fact that he didn't want Harry to fight now meant that this foe was to great, even for Harry.

So he set of in a sprint up Mrs. Figg's front yard which looked like nobody had ever weeded it out. There was all sorts of weird plants and growths, and some of the grass reached Harry to his knees. As he approached the front door, Harry could see that it was slightly open. He pushed it slowly open, his wand drawn at his side, and stepped inside.

The living room table had been upended. The sofa had been slashed. And there was stuff everywhere on the floor. It was clear that there had been some sort of scuffle here earlier. While he was walking trough the room and over to the fireplace, Harry heard a couple of loud bangs and a scream out in the street. He hurried over to the little biscuit tin shaped like a little cat and peered inside. And sure enough, there was the glittery green traveling powder.

Harry grabbed a handful and walked up to the unlit fireplace, he threw the powder inside, walked in and called 'the Burrow'.

And with a spinning sensation he was whisked away from the chaos that was happening on Privet Drive.