Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Death Eater’s Revenge by Phenioxsong22

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Disclaimer: It's all JK Rowling's...






Bellatrix was treading along the barely visible path of a menacing forest. Trees surrounded her and leered at her, but she didn’t notice any of this. Bellatrix’s good mood that she had previously possessed had long since evaporated. The visit to the Potter house had filled her with glee as she had discovered Harry’s transportation routes, enchantments, cloak, and most importantly, his son. A smirk crossed her face as she remembered the sleeping boy. Now, however, as she scuttled along the path to her new home, those accomplishments felt like nothing. Bellatrix’s lank hair was drenched from the rain, and her clothes had not been dry for hours. The path she walked on was filled with puddles and razor-sharp twigs. The Death Eater was soaked to the skin with cuts on her arms, face, and legs. With each step Bellatrix took, more and more frustration filled her.











Lightning flashed in the distance, causing the shivering woman to pull her cloak even tighter around her shoulders. Bellatrix glanced down to see deep puddles obstructing the path. The heavily lidded woman tried unsuccessfully to step around a rather large puddle, but instead, she only succeeded in getting herself even wetter. She screamed in frustration. Why did Wormtail have to put that Anti-Apparation spell on the house? It’s not like anyone would ever intrude on this godforsaken place. thought a disgruntled Bellatrix. If the Ministry wouldn’t keep interfering with the Death Eaters’ and my work, then I would have been able to travel faster and in a drier state! SPLASH! Bellatrix swore out loud as she was once again drenched by a puddle. Harry Potter would have been dead by now if it weren’t for that traitor, Snape. I knew he was not one to be trusted. But did anyone listen to me? Of course not! Snape gave the Dark Lord the prophecy and Order information, so of course he could be trusted. Bellatrix thought sarcastically. It was that turncoat who distracted the Dark Lord. Potter should have been the one killed, not the Dark Lord, but I will avenge him. I will succeed where others have failed when dealing with the Potter brat! The shock of the Dark Lord’s defeat had well ridden off, but that shock had been replaced by an angry, desperate desire for revenge. The Dark Lord is not dead. He can’t be. No one can kill him. I, his most loyal servant, will restore him. Bellatrix told herself not for the first time.











Hurrying along the root covered path, Bellatrix glanced up at the darkened sky. The rain continued to pour down, drenching the already wet Death Eater. Bellatrix began to curse everything she could think of as thunder rumbled and lightning flashed again. She was now chilled to the bone and getting angrier and angrier with each step she took. When will this infinite road end? Why...why did I pick the place Wormtail suggested long ago? The only thing he could accomplish was turning into a rat, and that wasn’t hard seeing as he already was one. He couldn’t even accomplish some of the simplest spells for crying out loud! I mean, the Dark Lord taught most of us at least some curses, and everyone accomplished them. In fact, the Dark Lord was the one who taught me about the shrieking shield. That curse definitely came in handy at Potter’s house. I made sure it surrounded the entire fireplace, so the barrier will be put to good use. Who will it curse I wonder…Ahh…I know. It will be Potter’s wife. That’s for certain. Potter won’t touch it; his blood traitor of a wife will be the cursed one because Potter will make her “escape” first. He’ll make sure she is the first one to flee to safety. His heroic streak always comes out at the best of times. Predictable really should be his middle name. Thinking of the pain her barrier will have caused brought an evil smile to Bellatrix’s face. It was quickly wiped away though as the rain started to drop down even harder.











Though her new house was Auror-proof, Bellatrix yearned to just Apparate there. BOOM! Thunder crashed ahead again, making Bellatrix jump. This must have been the stupidest idea ever, this so-called road. Making it so that no magic could be used on it was a great idea. thought Bellatrix sarcastically. Right now, I could be nice and dry, but no, I had to pick the place where Wormtail once used. When he mentioned no magic, he meant no magic. thought Bellatrix as she unsuccessfully tried to dry herself off again. I should have known this area would only be fit for a rodent. Good thing Wormtail’s dead because I would have killed him. “Use this place, Bellatrix. No one will ever be able to find you. It’s not that bad of a place, pretty comfortable actually, and the road to get there isn’t that bad either. You can’t use magic on it, but that’s no big deal, right Bella?” mimicked Bellatrix out loud. That must have been the biggest lie he ever told, and he told myriad amounts.











Still cursing Wormtail, Bellatrix finally caught sight of her new home. She broke into a run and threw open the front door. Crouching, she scrambled into the little house and slammed the door shut. She gave a sigh of relief when realizing she was blocked from the rain and wind for the first time in a while. With a quick wave of her wand, her wet clothes turned dry, and her chilled body became warm. Peering around the room, Bellatrix’s frown became more pronounced the more she saw. Wormtail is so lucky he was killed by that werewolf, Lupin, because he would be worse than dead now. I would make sure of that. Bellatrix sank into the nearest chair, exhausted from her day’s work. Oh how she wished for any other dwelling right now. Even Azkaban was cleaner than this rat hole. She had lived in so many places all throughout her life. It had become quite tiresome after awhile. The Slytherin common room came flooding back into the former Slytherin’s memory. As quickly as the common room flashed through Bellatrix’s mind, it was gone, and her childhood home filled the space. Bellatrix had adored her childhood, especially when she had visited her aunt’s house. She remembered one of the first curses she had learned from her aunt.











-Flashback-











Eleven year old Bellatrix Black was smirking at her acceptance letter to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Though the letter clarified that she could attend the magical school, in Bellatrix’s eyes, a piece of parchment could not justify whether she was allowed to go or not. If she wanted to go to Hogwarts, she would go. Nothing would be able to stop her. After skimming through the letter and seeing to her distaste the amount of books needed, the eleven year old crumpled the parchment into a ball and tossed it behind her. Then, gliding into the kitchen, she slumped into a chair. The heavily lidded girl tried to find something to do, but she didn’t have her wand yet, and her family had not carelessly left theirs lying around for Bellatrix to use. This was due to the fact that the Black family had been gone since early morning shopping for supplies in Diagon Alley. Bellatrix herself hadn’t wanted to go to the heavily packed streets after hearing the Blacks wouldn’t be able to visit Knockturn Alley. Bellatrix certainly didn’t want to see a bunch of innocent kids with smiles on their faces running around Diagon Alley. Usually she could get through the day by visiting the foreboding dark alley. But with no Knockturn Alley to look forward to, Bellatrix had blatantly refused to join her family.











Footsteps suddenly sounded behind her, and Bellatrix swiveled around. Her eyes locked onto the eyes of her mother. She had forgotten that she wasn’t the only one who hadn’t gone to Diagon Alley. She stared her mother down until the elder lady started to speak. “Bellatrix, I realize that you have learned all about Hogwarts from your sisters, but there are other important things you need to be taught.” cackled the voice of her pureblood mother. “At this school, you will have nothing”nothing”to do with Mudbloods and blood-traitors.”











Bellatrix sneered, “As if they would be worthy of my presence.” Mrs. Black smirked back. “Your Mudblood-loving headmaster, Dumbledore, (she said his name as if it was a piece of dirt.) will not tolerate any action toward Mudbloods that he sees…so you better not let him see you. Give those filth what they deserve, Bella.” Bellatrix smiled widely, ready to live up to her challenge. Her mother continued. “We’ll have to get your wand soon. Your father went to get the rest of your supplies, correct?” Bellatrix gave a swift nod as her mother started walking away. Then the elder Black suddenly stopped and turned around. “Oh, by the way, your aunt wants to see you today. She said something about giving you some words of advice.” Bellatrix jumped up excitedly.











“I’m going to go there now mom!” the giddy girl jabbered while running towards the fireplace. Her Aunt Black was her favorite person in the world. Bellatrix especially loved her aunt’s ideas of getting rid of Muggles. Grabbing some Floo powder, Bellatrix threw it into the fire. Her house was the only house that was connected by the Floo network to Number 12 Grimmauld Place. Then after settling herself in the fireplace, she shouted, “Number 12 Grimmauld Place!” Bellatrix then spun out of view, leaving her amused mother behind.











***











“YOU MANGY GIT OF A SON! YOU AND YOUR MUDBLOOD LOVING TRAITS HAVE DISGRACED THIS FAMILY!” screeched a rather homely lady.











“I’M NO SON OF YOURS! I’D RATHER DIE THAN BE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS FAMILY!” spat back a rather handsome boy. Bellatrix smirked as she witnessed, for not the first time, a shouting match between her cousin, Sirius, and her aunt, Sirius’ mother.











“FOR ONCE YOU ARE RIGHT. YOU ARE NO SON OF MINE! REGULUS IS MY SON NOT YOU”DIRTYING THIS HOUSE. SCUM! DISGRACE!”











“THIS FAMILY IS A DISGRACE! YOU AND YOUR PUREBLOOD MANIA MAKE ME SICK! YOU TALK OF NOT BEING WORTHY, WELL, YOU AREN’T WORTHY TO STAND IN THE SHADOW OF MUGGLES!” shouted Sirius right back.











“YOU DESPICABLE LITTLE” SCUM OF MY FLESH!” Mrs. Black stepped toward Sirius and held her hands up as if she was about to strangle him. Sirius just eyed her coolly.











“Ahem,” Bellatrix cleared her throat, bored of her relatives’ fight. Mrs. Black swiveled around and spotted the eleven year old.











“Bella!” Bellatrix’s aunt’s voice was now caked with sweetness. “I can’t believe you are going to Hogwarts so soon!” crooned her aunt, “I know you will honor the Blacks and Slytherin. The Slytherin house will welcome you into their mist unlike this blood-traitor.” Mrs. Black glared daggers at Sirius.











“AS I SAID BEFORE, I’D RATHER DIE THEN BE SORTED INTO A HOUSE THAT YOU WERE IN.” spat Sirius.











“WHY YOU”DISGRACING THE HOUSE OF YOUR FATHERS!”











“Do Regulus and I have different fathers? Is that what you mean when you say fathers?” goaded Sirius with a smirk.











Mrs. Black’s face turned bright red and her eyes popped before she roared “YOU LITTLE ”! GET OUT! GET OUT OF MY SIGHT NOW!” Sirius just cockily smirked, spit at his mother’s feet, and glided out of the door. His mother glowered at him.











“Forget him”I’ll take care of him at Hogwarts,” Bellatrix said, calming down her aunt a bit.











“Good. Now I have a mission for you, though your mother probably already informed you.”











“She just said that I would have to take care of certain beings.”











“Well, that Mudblood-loving headmaster needs to be taught a lesson for having a soft spot for Muggles.” Bellatrix smirked as her aunt continued. “As both a Slytherin and a Black, you are entitled to secrets that have been passed down through the generations. Follow me.” Mrs. Black motioned for her niece to follow. Bellatrix scurried after her aunt, past the house elves’ heads, and up into the attic. “Now Bella, I’m going to show you a curse that is one of three of the Unforgivables.” Bellatrix’s eyes gleamed greedily. “You are to practice it everyday, understand?”











“Yes” Bellatrix answered promptly.











“You are to practice on spiders, as they are easiest to catch.”











“Yes, yes.” Bellatrix said impatiently.











“Now watch closely. Imperio.” Mrs. Black pointed her wand at a spider that had just crawled out of the glass jar sitting on the table. Suddenly, the spider stiffened and threw itself at the window.











“The curse bangs things?” asked Bellatrix confused.











“No, Bella. The Imperius curse puts people in the palm of your hand. You can control a person’s mind with this curse. I can make this spider (she pulled another one out of the jar) do anything I want.”











“Prove it!” snarled Bellatrix.











Mrs. Black chuckled, “You are a true Black.” She pointed her wand at the arachnid and muttered for the second time that day, “Imperio.” Then she murmured, “Bow to me.” The spider immediately bowed. Bellatrix’s face broke into a grin, and she clapped her hands excitedly.











“I’m going to LOVE this spell!” she smiled gleefully.











“I knew you would.” Bellatrix’s aunt looked pleased. “But Bella, let’s keep this a secret between you and me, alright? We wouldn’t want some piece of filth (she glared at the door) to find out about it.” Bellatrix nodded swiftly. Then the eleven year old turned on her heel and glided out of the room to the fireplace.











“This will be put to lots of uses,” the young girl whispered to herself. Then, with a flash of green flames, Bellatrix Black was gone.











-Flashback Ends-











The present day Bellatrix shook her head as she was lifted out of her memory. No childhood recollection had come across her mind in years. Since the day her aunt died, she had shut out her childhood and had only looked onto the future. Her aunt had been her role model, her savior, her idol. She had known what to do with those worthless Muggles and had shown Bellatrix how to handle situations. When Sirius’ and Regulus’ mother had died, both Bellatrix and Regulus had completely sworn their utmost loyalty to the Dark Lord in sadness and desperation while Sirius had celebrated with joy. From that day on, Bellatrix had climbed, step by step, until finally succeeding in becoming Voldemort’s right hand man or in this case woman.











Bellatrix smiled thinking of how the Dark Lord had begun to trust her with bigger and sneakier schemes. She had been the person that Voldemort had confided to until that fateful day. The day when Lily and James were murdered. The day when Harry Potter was christened as ‘The boy who lived’. The day the Dark Lord had first been defeated.











-Flashback-











Bellatrix Lestrange was shaken. He was gone. He had finally been defeated. This couldn’t be happening. The Dark Lord had disappeared… He’s not gone. A boy”no baby” couldn’t have defeated the most powerful sorcerer of all time! It’s just not possible! Bellatrix told herself. Bellatrix continued to crunch along the path with four other Death Eaters. Drawing her cloak closer to her, she tried to calm herself. It had been days, not even that, since Harry Potter had bested the Dark Lord. Bellatrix blazed with fury whenever she heard that horrid name of her Lord’s vanquisher. She was so angry, so desperate. She had to find the Dark Lord. She had to restore him!











Taking a left turn, she motioned for the others to Apparate. With a CRACK, the foursome landed in a well kept yard. Bellatrix smirked, feeling as if something was being accomplished now. With an evil grin, the heavily lidded woman twirled her wand and blasted the Aurors’ door open. All four Death Eaters rushed in, blasting everything in sight.











A confused looking Frank Longbottom hurried down the stairs. His eyes widened in shock at the damage before they landed on three of the Death Eaters. With a roar of outrage, Frank began to fend off the Lestrange brothers and Crouch. With Frank distracted, Bellatrix scurried up the stairs. Another Auror, a round faced woman, was rushing about upstairs sending SOS messages and trying to find anything to help them succeed. Alice Longbottom’s face, which had been so relaxed and happy just minutes before, was creased with worry. But with a sigh of relief, she remembered that Voldemort couldn’t be the one downstairs seeing as he had been defeated by Harry. Alice choked back a sob when remembering that Harry was orphaned now. Neville could have been the orphan. With tears welling up in her eyes, Alice couldn’t help but be thankful that Neville was safe. Right now in fact, Neville was at his grandmother’s house. With another thankful sigh, Alice turned around and readied herself to barge into the duel downstairs.











Bellatrix smirked, realizing that the Auror hadn’t spotted her in the shadows. With a wave of her wand, ropes slithered out and flew toward the unsuspecting woman.











Alice heard a swishing sound through the air and whirled around. She was met by a heavily lidded woman. Ropes bound and gagged her and before she could utter an incantation, Alice was in the Death Eater’s grasp. Bellatrix laughed triumphantly and waited for the signal to appear downstairs.











Meanwhile, Frank was standing his own against the three followers of Voldemort. Spells were being shot in every direction, voices were mingled, furniture was smashed, and Barty Crouch Jr. was becoming frustrated beyond belief. Finally cracking, the straw haired boy screamed, “Where is the Dark Lord?”











“That’s what you want to know? You came here to ask me that?” panted Frank.











“Where is he?” snarled Rodolphus, all the while shooting hexes at the tall Auror.











“He gone, defeated. He has disappeared!” sneered Frank right back.











“WHERE IS THE DARK LORD?” repeated Crouch Jr.











“What don’t you get? Harry Potter killed Voldemort!”











“You dare speak the Dark Lord’s name?” hissed Rabastan.











“VOLDEMORT!” goaded Frank. A stream of words directed at Frank came out of Rabastan’s mouth, causing even Bellatrix to wince.











“I’ll give you one more chance. Where is the Dark Lord?” hissed Rodolphus angrily. Then, suddenly, Rodolphus let out a bloody murder scream, and Bellatrix realized that she couldn’t wait for their signal. With a CRACK, she Apparated right behind the Auror. She gave a quick glance at Rodolphus who was nursing several burnt fingers and other burns.











“Playing dirty now, are we Longbottom?” smirked Bellatrix while shifting the bound Alice in front of her. The blood immediately rushed out of Frank’s face, and he stared mutely at his wife. “Now seeing as these imbeciles couldn’t get an answer from you,” started Bellatrix while throwing dirty looks to each of the men. “I’ll just have to use more persuasive methods, won’t I? But I’ll give you one more chance, seeing as I’m a giving person. Where is the Dark Lord?” Frank stayed silent. Bellatrix continued, “Where is Harry Potter right now?” Alice’s eyes widened in alarm at the orphaned boy’s name and she stared at Frank. Both Aurors stayed quiet however. “I’m ashamed of you two.” tsked Bellatrix. “One more question, and you better have an answer this time. What are the Ministry’s plans of catching us?” Frank’s mouth stayed in an unmoving line, his wand clenched in his fist. “Well, I gave you a chance…” Bellatrix gave a dramatic sigh. “But you didn’t take it. CRUCIO!” Alice’s body immediately clenched in pain, and she started to whimper.











“STOP! STOP!” cried Frank pointing his wand at Bellatrix. He was quickly disarmed and tackled to the ground from behind. Rabastan pinned him and quickly muttered, “Petrificus Totalus.” Frank became as stiff as a board and could only watch in terror as his wife was tortured. Bellatrix momentarily stopped the curse and repeated her first question.











“I DON’T KNOW!” Frank screamed. Frank fought the body bind curse until finally being bound in ropes just as Alice had moments before. “LET ALICE GO! I’LL DO ANYTHING!”











“Give us information on the Dark Lord’s fall then,” informed Barty Crouch Jr. Frank just wordlessly moved his mouth.











“Crucio!” Rodolphus said lazily. Frank was hit with the curse at the same time Alice screamed. The cycle went on and on with questions, no answers, and pain. Bellatrix laughed as Alice suddenly stopped wailing in pain and lay quite still. Frank moaned, but was quickly quieted with another dose of pain.











“STUPEFY! STUPEFY! STUPEFY! STUPEFY!” screamed a voice. Turning quickly, the four Death Eaters saw Aurors rushing into the house. Then, the red jets of light hit the men and left only Bellatrix standing. “Protego!” she screamed before trying to Apparate. Suddenly, red light consumed her. With thoughts of avenging the Dark Lord, Bellatrix sunk into a state of unconsciousness.





-Flashback Ends-











The heavily lidded woman grinned crazily as her memory ended. Bellatrix had had such good fun that day. It had felt so good to vent her frustration on the unsuspecting Longbottoms. The other Death Eaters had been hurting from Voldemort’s fall but not as much as she had, except maybe Barty. But then again, he seemed to have just gone insane with the knowledge of the Dark Lord’s defeat. Though she had been captured after the torture, Bellatrix had known that she would be honored above her wildest dreams for trying to find the Dark Lord, and she had been honored. But then, after her trial, had come Azkaban, a living hell that had even made Bellatrix grow slightly insane as the days had gone by one by one. She had dealt with the prison as the best she could, but still, it had unnerved her. The first day hadn’t been bad and neither had the second or the third. But come one month and Bellatrix was begging (only to herself…she had too much pride to beg to worthless scum like the minister and dementors) to be let out of the cold, heartless place.











-Flashback-











With her head held high, Bellatrix was treading past the other prisoners. She glanced at them one by one. Most were staring into space while others were muttering darkly. To her disgust, Bellatrix recognized her blood-traitor of a cousin Sirius, but she was quickly rushed past his cell. Sirius wasn’t part of Voldemort’s followers, though most thought he was after what he did to Peter. Peter. That little rat had betrayed us! The Dark Lord had gone to the Potters on his information. He would be sorry he ever came into our circle. I will make sure of that if, for any chance, he is still alive. Bellatrix vowed.











A cold draft seemed to settle on the place as the dementors led the foursome farther into the prison. Bellatrix shivered despite her pride. She glanced to her left at a movement. Barty Crouch Jr. was trembling, his eyes wide with shock. He had not taken the Dark Lord’s fall well and being thrown to Azkaban by his own father seemed to throw him over the edge.











Bellatrix continued to walk, but slowly, Bellatrix could feel some part of her being ebbing away. Keep sane. The dementors won’t beat you. Do not become a muttering lunatic! Keep sane for the Dark Lord. He needs you, his most faithful servant. You have to avenge him. Bellatrix kept telling herself. The Death Eater set her jaw and continued to tread down the aisle. The dementors’ rotted hands held her wrists tight, making her want to scream. Already memories were flashing through her mind that she wished weren’t”Failing the Dark Lord and his merciless cries of ‘Crucio’...Learning her mother and aunt were dead…Sirius humiliating her in front of the entire school. The memories kept on coming. Keep sane! Bellatrix scolded herself. Think of avenging him. Think of fulfilling his wishes.











The dementors suddenly stopped in front of a cell and took a long rattling breath. Bellatrix gasped as more painful memories rushed through her minds making her feel weaker, colder, more vulnerable. Barty Crouch Jr. whimpered in pain. Rodolphus, who had stood straight and unmoving throughout their walk, shrunk away from the dreaded creatures. Rabastan closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Suddenly, Bellatrix felt herself yanked into a cell and thrown to the ground, causing her to fill with anger. No one treated Bellatrix Lestrange like that! She immediately reached for her wand before remembering it had been “deposited” (more like stolen from her) into the Wandery, a round room that held the convict’s wands until they were released( if they were released). Once again, Bellatrix filled with anger and hatred but that feeling was quickly replaced by terror-filled thoughts. The dementors then glided away to deposit the remaining prisoners. Bellatrix crossed her arms in defiance and glared at the darkness. They would not break her. She would wait. The Dark Lord will come for her, and she would be ready.






-Flashback ends-











Bellatrix shuddered. Azkaban had unhinged her at times, but thoughts of avenging the Dark Lord and murdering Harry Potter had kept her sane. But man, did she hate that place. It was all Potter’s fault that she had gone to that wretched place. If he hadn’t defeated the Dark Lord in Godric’s Hollow, then she wouldn’t have gone to desperate measures and landed herself in Azkaban. Bellatrix clenched her fists in anger. Potter had bested the Dark Lord twice now; he would pay. Bellatrix glanced at a muggle clock posted on the wall. It had been over four hours since she had arrived in this so called safe-house. It had given her enough time to get ready to accomplish her task. Bellatrix thought for a moment and smiled. She knew exactly where he would be. Conjuring a broom, Bellatrix flew out of the house and down the winding path. Though no magic could be done on the road, Bellatrix had been able to loosen the level of magic done before she left her safe-house. A broom now worked just fine. Bellatrix smiled. Everything seemed to be on her side now. It had even stopped raining. The trees continued to leer at her, but Bellatrix wasn’t worried. Her mind was preoccupied on how she would kidnap him. Finally, Bellatrix realized she had reached the end of the path. She smiled triumphantly. That hadn’t taken long at all! With one glance at the intimidating forest, Bellatrix Disapparated.











With a CRACK, the former Death Eater arrived at the end of a path. She brushed herself off and continued down it. After a few minutes, she spotted a ramshackle house (if you could call it that). Gnomes frisked in the garden and chickens pecked their away around the yard, but Bellatrix didn’t notice anything of this. Her eyes were on the flash of red she had seen at the window. She pulled out her wand and gave it a quick wave, securing an Anti-Apparation shield. Holding her wand loosely, Bellatrix got ready to blast open the doorway just as she had many years before. She took one glance at the crooked sign in the ground. It read, “THE BURROW”. She smiled (she had been doing that a lot lately).The sign confirmed she was at the right place. If Harry thinks his wife is the last to be injured, then he is dead wrong. This is only the beginning. With that last thought, Bellatrix Lestrange blasted the door open.










A/N: This chapter is a much better indication of my writing. I have been rereading this story and wish I could rewrite half of it! Still, I love to hear what you think I need to improve on. Keep the reviews coming; I love them.