Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Breaking the Mold by Thoth

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

“How old do you think he is?”

Andromeda, who had been dozing off, shook herself awake. “How old do I think who is?” she asked through a yawn.

“Professor Binns!” William Hatch whispered.

She rubbed her eyes and looked at her History of Magic teacher. He looked like he was about five hundred or so, he was so shriveled and prune-looking.

“Must be pretty old, looks like a gust of wind could knock him over,” Andromeda said with a laugh, picturing the scene in her head.

Hot air was coming in through the open window next to her, and that and Professor Binns’ lesson was making her feel slow and sleepy. She knew she should be paying attention and taking notes, seeing as exams were only a week away, but she just couldn’t bring herself to do it.

So instead she glared at the back of Phoebus Walnut’s head (the Slytherin boy who loved to tease her) and resolved to study History of Magic for at least an hour that night.

William was asking Letty how old she thought Professor Binns was when the bell sounded, signaling the end of classes for that day. Andromeda gathered her things and made her way outside with Letty to lounge by the lake.



“I hate it when we have History of Magic two days in a row,” Letty complained.

“Me too,” Andromeda agreed as Phoebus Walnut shoved past her into the classroom.

“I bet I’ll fail the exam,” Letty said as she sat down. “Too many dates to remember!”

Andromeda, as well as most of the other students, were gazing around the classroom. Where was Professor Binns? He was usually sitting at his desk when they came in.

“Hey, where’s Professor-?” Andromeda began but she was cut off when several people screamed.

A pearly white version of their History of Magic teacher had just floated through the chalk board!

“G’evening class. Page three hundred and fifty-four, we’ll look back on the great giant revolt of 1493,” he wheezed, the same as always.

He then proceeded to drone on as usual, totally unaware of his gaping audience.

Finally Ted Tonks, a Gryffindor boy, had the sense to say, “Um, Professor? I think you’re a... ghost?”

“Eh?” Binns said. “What’s that, Mr French?”

“You’re a ghost!”

“Yes, yes. I realize that, boy. Now, Klunk, who was the leader of the giants living in the West Indies at the time...”

And then Andromeda, because everyone else seemed to be at a loss for words, raised her hand. “Sir... Don’t you think that someone should tell Professor Dippet or something?” she asked.

Binns, annoyed at being interrupted twice, scowled. “Tell Professor Dippet what?”

“About... About your death!”

“Hmm. Yes, I suppose that’s a good idea... Mr French, run and fetch the Headmaster,” Binns said, still unperturbed.

Seeing as there was no Mr French in the class, Ted Tonks ran to get the Headmaster while Professor Binns went back to Klunk and his nine wives.



The next morning at breakfast the Great Hall was buzzing with talk about the death of the History of Magic teacher. Andromeda, who was seated uncomfortably between Suzanne Twonk and a very broad fifth year, was trying to explain something to Suzanne.

“But he died!” Suzanne whispered. “Why isn’t anyone sad?”

“You’ve never known a ghost before?” Andromeda asked in amazement.

“No! I’m a halfblood but I live with my mum who’s a Muggle,” she explained.

“Oh. Well since he’s a ghost, he’s pretty much the same as he was when he was alive,” Andromeda said, pausing to look up at the owls flying into the Great Hall. “My father says you should gauge your reaction by how upset the ghost is. Professor Binns doesn’t seem to be upset at all, so...”

Her owl, Icarus, landed in front of her with a red envelope clutched in his claws. Andromeda paled visibly.

“Wow, is that a Howler?” Suzanne asked, her amazement about Professor Binns distracted at the prospect of something loud and angry.

Andromeda let out a breath she didn’t know she had been holding as she slowly opened the envelope. It was just a letter from Narcissa about the new dress robes she had bought and the stationary set Uncle Orion had given her (hence the new, red envelope).

It had been several months since the incident with Bellatrix and Andromeda was still paranoid. Apparently, Bellatrix had not told anyone that her sister was friends with two Muggle-born twins. She had not had a proper conversation with Bellatrix since, but she hoped things wold get better over the summer.

“Can I have everybody’s attention please?” Professor Dippet’s voice rang out through the hall.

Everybody fell quiet, eager to hear what would be done.

“I am sure you are all aware,” Dippet began, his voice scratchy, “of the passing of Professor Binns. This is unhappy business, of course, but I am pleased to inform everyone that the ghost of Professor Binns has agreed to stay at Hogwarts and continue teaching History of Magic.”

The Hall broke out in cries of astonishment and was not quiet until Professor Dumbledore tapped his goblet with his knife.

“Hogwarts has never had a ghost on staff before,” Professor Dippet continued. “But I can assure you that Professor Binns will do as good a job as ever.”

“I can’t believe he’s still going to teach!” Andromeda whispered to Suzanne. She nodded.

“Students wishing to accompany Professor Binns to his funeral on Saturday may do so. The carriages will be waiting outside at eight o’clock.”

Seeing that the matter was finished, Professor Dippet sat back down.

“What about the History of Magic exams?” a Hufflepuff called out.

“My exams will proceed as usual,” Professor Binns wheezed.

Andromeda groaned.