Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

One Last Chance by Bryant

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: I do not own J.K. Rowling's characters, though I wish I did...
___________________________________________________




Chapter One


It had been three years since Hogwarts, and the defeat of Voldemort. The magic community was at calm once more, and they had Harry Potter to thank for it. The Death Eaters were locked up in Azkaban like they should be, and for once it seemed that the magic community could live without fear, or worry.

Harry Potter was at the Ministry receiving a certificate for his three years of Auror training. He was excited about the future, and looked forward to a career as an Auror.

“Ronald Weasley,” bellowed Rufus Scrimgeour’s voice.
Ron got up out of his seat and went up to except his award. Harry could hear Mrs. Weasley crying as he walked up ““He looks so handsome” “ she mumbled under muffled sobs.
Ron had grown a lot since the days at Hogwarts, Harry observed, as he walked up and shook Scrimgeour’s hand excitedly, then walked hastily back to his seat.

“And now everyone please welcome, Harry Potter,” Scrimgeour said more enthusiastically then when he announced Ron. The applause was much louder too, Harry noticed as he walked up to the front of the room and shook the Minister’s hand. He smiled over at Hagrid, who was there to support him, and walked back to his seat.

********************************

Later on that evening Harry went over to the Burrow to celebrate with the Weasley’s. Hermione and Ron were sitting quietly discussing their honeymoon plans; Hermione and Ron were getting married in one week.

“I think we should go to Paris, Ron…it’s so romantic,” said Hermione.

“Yeah...I guess we can go there,” Ron said trying to keep his voice down.

Hermione hugged him excitedly. “Really?” she asked.
Ron nodded.

“Oh…Paris, I’ve always wanted to go there,” said Mrs. Weasley, who had been listening in on Ron’s conversation the whole time. Ron gaped at her.

“Oh, Arthur, we should go one day. Just the two of us… wouldn’t it be romantic?”

“Oh…maybe dear,” said a startled Mr. Weasley. He had been in a deep conversation with Harry about Muggle electronics.
Mrs. Weasley seemed to give him a nasty look as she walked by, on her way to the sink. Harry quickly changed the subject, as he knew how mad Mrs. Weasley could get.

“Um…Mrs. Weasley, isn’t Ginny coming for the wedding?” Harry asked.

“Well, yes…of course she is, Harry,” Mrs. Weasley said. “She should be coming anyway, hard to tell with her you know.”
Ginny had been away in Egypt with her boyfriend Dean Thomas, who was studying ancient wizard spells there for the past year.

“It’s been so long since I’ve seen her,” piped up Hermione’s voice. “Is she and Dean…you know ““

“Oh, oh…I don’t know about all of that,” said Mrs. Weasley, who was clearly not very fond of Dean Thomas.

Just then Hagrid peered through the window. He had been invited to the Burrow, but couldn’t fit through the door, so he had to eat outside.

“Well…once again, thank ya for the dinner Molly,” said Hagrid through the window.

“Oh, it was no problem, Hargrid. Let take those dishes for you,” she said as she waved her wand, and the dishes flew from his hands.

“Well…I got to be goin’ now,” Hagrid said, waving to everyone through the window. Mr. Weasley had set up a portkey for Hagrid to go back to Hogwarts. Harry, Ron, and Hermione ran out to bid him goodbye.

Hagrid stared at them with teary eyes. “Look at ya, all grown up, getting married and such,” said Hagrid, on the verge of tears. “Dumbledore would’ve liked to ‘ave been here,” Hagrid couldn’t hold his emotions any longer, as he started crying uncontrollably.

Hermione walked over and put a comforting arm around him. “It’s alright, Hagrid,” said Hermione, she started sobbing too.

“Well…got to be off. Hogwarts starts tomorrow, you know,” said Hagrid cheering up a little bit. “McGonagall, will, er...want me there.” Hagrid went over to the old Wellington boot, touched it and disappeared.

Harry looked at Ron and Hermione, who was wiping her eyes.
“It seemed like just yesterday I was getting on the Hogwarts Express for the first time,” Harry said reminiscently.

“Yeah,” said Hermione, looking up at the night sky.

They walked back inside the Burrow, and went to bed. Mrs. Weasley insisted that Harry stay the night with them, rather than go home. Harry obliged, thinking of how lonely it would be at his flat without Ron there.

*****************************

The next day Harry left to go back to his flat. He had an interview at the Ministry for a job as an Auror the next day.

Harry got off the lift on the second floor at the Ministry, and walked into the Auror Headquarters. A medium height wizard, about as tall as Harry, with half-moon spectacles, dirty blond hair, and a tweed jacket, came over and greeted Harry.

“I’m Gawain Robards,” he said politely, as he shook Harry’s hand vigorously, “Head Auror.”

Harry was asked a couple of questions by Robards, and almost automatically got the job. Harry wondered if his “fame” had anything to do with how easy the interview was.

That was easy, he thought to himself.

“Hiya, Harry,” a voice said excitedly, as Harry walked into the lift. Harry turned around quickly to find Ron and Hermione standing there.

“Hi,” said Harry, a little bit startled. “What are you guys doing here?”

“Oh, Harry, I just got accepted a job in the Department for the Regulation and Control of the Magical Creatures,” Hermione said.

Harry congratulated her. “That’s great, Hermione!”

“How about you, Harry, didn’t you have an interview today also?” Hermione asked.

“Yeah… I got the job,” Harry said.

“Oh, congratulations Harry!” Hermione beamed, as she hugged him. “I’m going to be working in the House-Elf Relocation Department.

“Looks like your S.P.E.W. finally paid off, huh,” Ron said, smiling.

The three of them laughed at this. Harry couldn’t help but feel jealousy towards how happy Ron and Hermione were together. He sometimes felt that their marriage would break up their friendship, but so far it seemed not to hurt it.

**********************

The week passed quickly, before Harry knew it, it was already Ron and Hermione’s wedding day. Harry got dressed quickly in his dress robes; he was going to be Ron’s best man, along with Bill. Hermione’s bridesmaids were Ginny and Fleur.

He arrived at the Burrow to find the place practically buzzing with excitement; people rushing everywhere, decorating.
The Burrow was decorated beautifully; Harry could hardly recognize the place. White and red roses were strung up everywhere, and a trellis, which Ron and Hermione were to be married under, was directly in front of the little pond, but not the pond Harry was used to; it had a fountain of water shooting at least 10 feet high, and the grass and weeds around it had been cut and trimmed, and replaced with all sorts of beautiful plants. Chairs had been lined up for the guest to sit in, and a red carpet cut through the middle of them, Harry guessed this was going to be the aisle.

Before long, people started Apparting to the Burrow. Harry started recognizing old friends such as Luna Lovegood, even Professor McGonagall came out to the wedding. It had been nearly three years since Harry had seen her. She looked reasonably well; she had aged in her face, but being the Headmistress at Hogwarts isn’t any easy job.

Almost all the seats were filled up, Harry noticed, as he stood beside Ron at the alter. Harry had evidently missed Ginny’s entrance, but saw Dean Thomas sitting in the crowd, talking to Luna. Harry glowered at him.

“I’m nervous,” Ron whispered to Harry.

“It’ll be alright, Ron,” assured Harry, as he continued to stare at Dean.

“I hope so…”
Ron was cut off by the sudden burst of organ music. Ron gulped, as the Fleur came around the corner. Harry was nearly standing on his tippy toes trying to get a good view of Ginny. Ginny followed Fleur; her hair was beautiful, in the sunlight. Her face had matured since Harry had seen her last.

She’s beautiful, thought Harry to himself, as he stared at her.

She smiled at Harry, as she took her place next to Fleur; Harry smiled back, feeling elated. The next to come down the aisle was Hermione. She wore a white dress that had been her mothers. Her father escorted her down the isle. Harry looked over at Ron, who had a tear running down his cheek.

“She looks beautiful,” Ron whispered.

“Yeah,” whispered Harry back.

******************************

After the wedding was over, everyone went inside the Burrow for the reception. It wasn’t decorated quite as nice as outside, but still, Harry could tell Mrs. Weasley had tried to clean up some. Harry went outside to get some fresh air, he saw Luna sitting staring up at the sky, and decided to go sit with her.

“Hi Luna,” Harry said.

“Oh hi, Harry…how have you been?” Luna asked in her dreamy voice.

“Pretty good, I’ve just finished Auror training.”

“Oh…I never thought you should be an Auror, Harry,” she said. “The Aurors are part of the Rotfang Conspiracy, did you know that?”

“Um…no,” said Harry awkwardly, even though he did remember her mentioning that once before. Harry sat quietly beside Luna listening to her raving on about the Rotfang Conspiracy.

“They’re trying to bring down the Ministry… that cloud looks like your head,” said Luna randomly, looking from the cloud to Harry’s head, comparing them.

“Um…yeah, Luna, I think I’ll go on inside now,” Harry said, as he got up to leave.

“Oh…ok. See you around Harry,” called Luna, as Harry walked away quickly. Inside Harry ran into Ginny. She seemed to be trying to avoid him, but he made an effort to go and talk to her.

“Hi Ginny,” called Harry. Ginny was about to walk out of the living room, she turned rather reluctantly to face him.

“Hi Harry,” she said, as he walked over to her

“How have you been?” asked Harry.

“Oh… I’ve been alright I suppose,” said Ginny, “how about you?”

“Pretty good… finished my Auror training, and got a job,” Harry said.

“So I’ve heard,” she said. “I’ve been looking for Dean, have you seen him around anywhere?”

“No, sorry, I haven’t. So are you and Dean…you know…”

“Ugh…well…” Ginny stammered, but to her relief, Ron called Harry, over to where he was standing.

“Go on, Harry,” said Ginny in relief, as she walked out the door.

********************************

That night Harry was invited to stay over and eat leftovers with the Weasley’s. Bill, Fleur, Ginny, Dean, Harry, and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, were all squeezed in around the scrubbed wooden table in the kitchen. Hermione and Ron had already left for Paris.

“Me and Bill ‘ave an announcement to make,” Fleur called out.
Everyone looked at her waiting for the answer.

“We are ‘aving a baby,” she said firmly.

Mrs. Weasley started jumping up and down, she ran over to Fleur flying arms around her.

“Oh this is wonderful, Arthur…our first grandchild!” Mrs. Weasley cried out.

Everyone congratulated Fleur and Bill, before they left to go to their home. Dean had to go to his parent’s house to visit, and Ginny decided to stay home instead of going with him. Once again, Mrs. Weasley insisted upon Harry staying, and Harry had no choice but to say yes.

The next day Harry ate breakfast quickly, said goodbye to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. Harry hadn’t seen Ginny. As he walked out of the house he looked over towards the garden and saw Ginny whipping around on a broomstick. Harry walked over.

“Mind if I join?” Harry asked.

Ginny, startled by seeing Harry, answered back, “Oh…um, no, of course not.”

Harry went to the broom shed, and got a broom. He had to wipe all the dust and cobwebs off of it, before he got on.

“Alright,” said Harry, “first one to score ten, wins.”

“You’re on,” Ginny retorted back, a smile breaking across her face.

]Harry won the match…but not by much, the final score was, nine to ten. Harry and Ginny flew around for a while slowly hovering the ground, talking.

“How was Egypt?” asked Harry

“Dreadfully hot; I hardly ever went outside, but, it is an interesting place… I just wouldn’t want to live there or anything,”

“Yeah,” said Harry. “So are you and Dean planning on, you know, getting marr--“

“No…” Ginny cut in aggressively, “I mean, I don’t know yet, of course we love each other and we want to get married, but, things have been too busy.”

“Oh,” said Harry. Harry wasn’t paying attention, to where he was going; he was looking at Ginny’s face. He ran straight into a tree branch that knocked him off his broom. He cursed loudly, as he fell to the ground.

“Harry, are you ok,” laughed Ginny, as she descended from the air smoothly beside him. She gave him her hand to help him up, but, to her surprise, Harry pulled her down beside him.
She screamed lightly.

“Harry…what the--“

“Ha-ha… that’s what you get for laughing,” said Harry, laughing himself. She tried to get up, but Harry pulled her down again, but this time she landed on him. They stared into each others eyes awkwardly. Then, something happened that neither of them really expected “ they kissed.

Ginny pulled away reluctantly.

“I can’t Harry, I’m in love with Dean,” said Ginny, rather unenthusiastically.

“Well…I’m not convinced Ginny,” said Harry, getting up off the ground, “I have loved you ever since Hogwarts…there’s not a day that goes by that I don’t think about you.”

Ginny, looking a little taken back, said, “Harry…I love you…” but she caught herself.

“What….You love me? If you do then why do you keep trying to avoid me? If you love me, then we should be together,” Harry said fervently.

“No…” Ginny started crying, “no… Harry, I can’t,” she took and deep breathe, and said, “Dean asked me to marry him, I’m engaged to Dean,” she said hurriedly, and ran off. Harry stared at her disappearing figure until she was out of sight. Harry walked slowly out of the garden and up the dirt road a little ways. He then turned to look at the Burrow, his second favorite building in the world, and Apparated back to his lonely London flat.