Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

One Last Chance by Bryant

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Two


A year had gone by since Harry and Ginny had come to realize their hidden love for each other. Harry had not been back to the Burrow since that day, nor had he seen Ginny. Harry thought often about her, he would find himself thinking about her at work, home, or anywhere for that matter.

Ron had finally gotten a job, and Hermione was head of the House Elf Relocation Office. Harry had moved in with Hermione and Ron, they had a nice house just outside of London. They graciously let him into their hectic marriage life. Harry couldn’t help but be a little jealous of the two.

Ginny and Dean were supposedly married… Harry tried not to think about that situation too much, but often overheard Ron talking about it.

All “ in “ all, Harry’s life was going pretty good. He wasn’t exactly happy with his job at his Ministry, but the money was good, so Harry couldn’t really complain.


“Come on, Harry,” called Hermione, from the bottom of the stairs.

Harry tugged on some shoes, and ran quickly down the stairs. They were invited to the Burrow for dinner. Harry wouldn’t go, but he felt obligated to go and see Fleur and Bill’s newborn baby.
They Aparrated at the back door of the Burrow, and walked in quickly out of the pouring rain.

“Harry,” Mrs. Weasley cried as he came through the door, “I was wondering if you were going to come.”

“I’m here,” said Harry, peeling off his wet jacket.

Harry looked around: there was no sign of Ginny, so Harry felt a bit more comfortable, and sat down at the table.

“‘Arry,” came a dreamy voice from somewhere. Fleur came strolling into the kitchen. Harry turned around to greet her. Bill then followed her with a bundle of blankets in his arms; it must have been the baby. Mrs. Weasley rushed over and took the baby in her arms, and went around showing it to everyone. Harry looked down at its small, round face through the blankets; it was so cute. Harry thought he could see fiery red strings of hair springing from its head already: a definite sign that it was related to the Weasley’s.

“What’s her name?” asked Hermione, as she gave it her finger to play with.

“Kathryn,” said Mrs. Weasley over Fleur’s voice. “I picked it myself…I’ve always liked that name; I was so glad it was a girl.”

Fleur seemed to roll her eyes, and sigh at this. “I wanted to name her Sophie,” she said.

“Oh…but Sophie is an awfully dreadful name, dear,” Mrs. Weasley said smirking, “Bill likes the name, so should you.”

Fleur grimaced at Mrs. Weasley, and left the kitchen hastily. Bill gave his mother a pleading look, but Mrs. Weasley pretended to not notice this; she turned her attention on Ron and said, “Ron…please go tell your sister to come down to eat.”

Harry’s heart leapt…Ginny, in the same house as him. He all of a sudden got a nauseous feeling in his stomach at this thought.

“Want to come with me?” asked Ron.

“Um…no, that’s okay,” answered Harry back.

Harry’s heart felt like it was about to beat right of his chest.
Ginny walked into the room, and quickly went to her seat without looking at Harry. Harry somehow summoned up enough courage to say, “Hi Ginny.”

Ginny looked over at Harry awkwardly.

“Um…Hi,” she said.

And that was the extent of Harry and Ginny’s conversation at dinner that night. Harry kept looking over at her periodically through dinner; once or twice he thought he had broken her stare at him.


Later that evening everyone was sitting around the living room, talking quietly. Harry sat chatting to Ginny beside the large fireplace.

“So where is Dean? I heard you got married,” Harry asked.

Ginny gave a little laugh; she had finally softened up to Harry.
“Ha-ha…No, were not married yet,” where did you hear that?

“Ron told me,” said Harry.

“Figures…he gets everything screwed up. We’re still engaged, but Dean went back to Egypt to study; he wants to live there, in that…horrible place. I hate it there.”

“So, when are you planning on getting married then?” Harry asked timidly.

“We’re not sure yet,” said Ginny.

Ginny quickly changed the subject after that. Harry thought Ginny seemed kind of depressed about Dean, and marriage. Ginny started rambling on about Quidditch tactics, and maneuvers, which interested Harry; they carried on the conversation until Hermione got up out of her seat rather slowly.

“Um…can I have everyone’s attention?” Hermione said in voice tone close to a whisper. “Ugh…can I have everyone’s attent….”

“HERMIONE WANTS TO SAY SOMETHING,” bellowed Mrs. Weasley’s voice. “Bill. Fleur…shut up!” she snapped, Bill and Fleur had been arguing over whether Kathryn, would be going to Beauxbatons or Hogwarts.

“Go on, Hermione,” Mrs. Weasley said, smiling warmly.

“I “ I’ve just told Molly here, that me, and Ron, are having a baby,” Hermione finished, looking around at everyone cautiously.

Everyone was rather silent, staring at Ron and Hermione. Harry finally said something after what seemed like hours of silence.

“Congratulations,” said Harry, with a burning feeling of jealously swirling in his stomach.

Everyone came out of reverie, and started congratulating Hermione and Ron. Ginny, Harry noticed, was rather reluctant to congratulate them, but hugged Hermione anyway.


Mrs. Weasley had decided to get out some old elfish wine to celebrate. Harry told everyone that he was going outside to get some fresh air. He slipped out the door, and headed towards the pond. Harry got a handful of stones and started trying to skip them across the pond. He heard a sound behind him, and turned around quickly to find Ginny standing there. She was staring Harry, her eyes scintillating brightly though the moonlight. Harry had taken sudden interest in the formation of the gravel, as she started to talk to him.

“Harry…I missed you…”

Harry’s heart leapt with anxiety.

“Why have we been avoiding each other?” asked Ginny, bluntly.

Harry really didn’t know what to say, so he stupidly said, “I don’t know.”

Ginny smiled at this, and moved a little closer; Harry did the same. She looked so beautiful, as Harry leaned closer to kiss her. They kissed for what seemed like hours under the sparkling moonlight. They pulled apart, when they heard the door open; Ron came strolling out to where they were standing.
Ginny was still in Harry’s arms, looking over her shoulder rather awkwardly.

Ron stared at the two of them for a minute, and then said, “Finally, Harry, you get the girl of your dreams.”

Harry laughed, and kissed Ginny once more, and followed Ron back inside for some wine…perhaps celebrating for a different reason than everyone else.