Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Neville's Triumph by hufflepuffgal

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I hope you enjoy this final chapter to the story. I want to thank everyone who helped me and encoraged me in the productin of Neville's Triumph. And to my readers: I hope you enjoy!






Something flickered inside Harry’s eyes; and for one short moment an evil glare filled them. “K-Kill Voldemort, no I can’t I’m too inexperienced. I could die! I don’t want to die!” he said, sounding slightly insincere, and like a completely different person than just a few moments ago.



Harry, Hermione, Ginny and Luna stood there, flabbergasted. Only Neville saw what was going on.



“Maybe Harry’s right,” he said, to the surprise of everyone in the room. “It could be dangerous, and, as you said, you could die.”



“What are you talking about? Are you absurd? Harry needs”" Hermione was cut off by Neville.



“To relax!” Neville almost shouted. “Why don’t we all go back to the reunion, we can sort this out tomorrow.”



“But tomorrow might--” Ginny started



“Be too soon, he might need more than one night to relax, we will figure out when to sort this out, but now we are missing the feast,” Neville finished.



“Yeah,” Harry said ostentatiously. “I do need some time to relax, I deserve it.” He smiled.



Neville bit his lip, and then said, “Yes, you do deserve it.”



Everyone in the room, except Harry, looked at Neville as if he had just told them he was in love with a dementor. The conversation had been strange from the get go, but this was too weird. Everyone had expected Neville to tell Harry that he had to kill Voldemort and that he could. They were not anticipating him to tell Harry he deserved a vacation from saving the world.



On the way back to the Great Hall Neville looked at Luna and winked. Suddenly, as if she had knows all along, she realized what was going on.



When they got back to the hall they took their seats. Desserts appeared before them. People were up, walking around, visiting with old friends, reminiscing telling about their jobs and who they married and their kids until McGonagall stood up to ask them to all take heir seats. Neville quietly excused himself from the table and headed out of the Great Hall. Ginny and Hermione glanced at each other, both knowing that something was going on, but neither knowing what. Ron just sat there, obliviously drinking some pumpkin juice.



McGonagall stood up again, and said “Welcome back, Hogwarts alumni and friends. Tonight the Hogwarts professors wanted to honor some of our past students.



“Greatness is made even more apparent during difficult times. We’d like to honor those that could not be with us tonight, due to terrible fates. Since graduation, 22 of your classmates gave their live fighting against the Dark Lord and his followers. Let us have a moment of silence for those brave souls.” A silence, so painful that it could have made a dementor cry, filled the Great Hall. After a moment McGonagall continued. “Times like these bring out the best and the worst in people. All I can say is that I hope that this all ends soon.” She sat down, as a tear trickled down her wrinkled cheek.



Harry abruptly stood up and walked to the front of the Great Hall. He started to speak. “McGonagall, is it ok is f I say a few words?”



“Of course, Mr. Potter,” she answered.



“Hello fellow witches and wizards, friends and foes alike,” he started. “It has been a long time. When I left Hogwarts I had but one goal: To defeat the Dark Lord Voldemort. I searched and sought his Horcruxes until I found and destroyed every last one. Then I went to find the source of all this pain and misery. I sought Voldemort. But when I found him, and was about to kill him I realized something. I could not kill him! I was too weak. I realized that the only way to stay safe, to protect the lives of my friends, was to join his force. And tonight I am here to tell you to do the same! Become a Death Eater! Follow Voldemort, or DIE!” The light left his eyes and he collapsed onto the floor.



Then, from behind the faculty table, a snake like man appeared. Wand drawn, he shouted, in a chilling voice “You see, not even your great Harry Potter could kill not me! I was controlling your great Harry Potter! Not even your “chosen one” is strong enough to kill me! Don’t you see? You must join with me of suffer a death like your beloved Harry Potter. For now I must make the prophecy come true! I must kill Harry Potter!”



The Great Hall doors opened. “Avada Kedavra!” a man’s voice yelled.





The prophecy came true.



“THE POWER TO VANQUISH THE DARK LORD APPROACHES. . . BORN TO THOSE WHO HAD THRICE DEFIED HIM, BORN AS THE SEVENTH MONTH DIES. . . AND THE DARK LORD WILL MARK HIM AS HIS EQUAL, BUT HE WILL HAVE A POWER THE DARK LORD KNOWS NOT. . . AND EITHER MUST DIE AT THE HAND OF THE OTHER FOR NEITHER CAN LIVE WHILE THE OTHER SURVIVES. . . THE ONE WITH THE POWER TO VANQUISH THE DARK LORD WILL BE BORN AS THE SEVENTH MONTH DIES. . .”







Neville triumphed. The Dark Lord died.



"Watch out Bella," he thought. "Your next."