Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Scar by Lishkish

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“Harry! Come on! The train is going to leave without us!” came Ron’s voice. Harry leapt out of bed, amazed that it was time to go to Hogwarts already. He grinned; the last month had gone by so quickly. But not much happened, other than Hermione’s birthday, which they celebrated. She got her book on Apparition, much to her delight.

Harry ran to put on his glasses, a sweater, some jeans and a pair of shoes. He pulled his trunk onto his shoulder, and then hurried down the steps.

“Oh, there you are, Harry dear. Everybody is in the car, go on out. I’ll see you at Christmas!” said Mrs. Weasley, pulling him into a tight hug. Harry grinned.

“See you!” he said, and ran to get in the car.




When they pulled up to the Kings Cross Station Harry, Ginny, Hermione, and Ron all piled out of the car.

“Alright, you lot. I have an urgent business meeting with Spinner, I really must be off. I trust you can all manage on your own?” Mr. Weasley said, rushed. They all nodded. “Alright, see you at Christmas then!” and he drove away.

“Come on,” Ginny said, “let’s try and get a compartment to ourselves.” So the group followed her through the crowd.

“Let’s go in twos, shall we?” Hermione said, gesturing towards platforms nine and ten. Harry nodded his agreement, and stepped in front of Ron and Hermione while they ran through the wall. When they were gone, Harry and Ginny started chatting unconcernedly, and the pretended to lean on the wall, where they both vanished. Once they were through, they spotted Hermione and Ron waving them over. Harry and Ginny plowed their way through the crowd and followed Ron and Hermione onto the train.

“Here’s a place,” Ron said, opening a compartment door. They all piled in. Harry put his trunk away, and then went to help Ginny who was struggling. Once their trunks were all taken care of, they sat down, huffing from the effort. Harry leaned his forehead on the window.

“Is everything all right, Harry?” Ginny asked. Harry nodded, and smiled. The truth was, he wasn’t feeling alright. His scar was hurting particularly badly today, which told him that Voldemort was up to something.

“Let’s play of Gobstones, what do you say, Harry?” Hermione said, soothingly. Harry grinned and nodded. That was what he needed, a distraction. They played Gobstones for most of the time, until the lady with the cart of pumpkin pasties, chocolate frogs, and other little snacks came by. They all rushed to buy food, as they were all starving. When they were finished, they piled all of their food next to them, and soon the compartment was littered with wrappers and boxes. Ginny smiled.

“Food,” she said with a sigh. “It’s such a wonderful thing.” Harry nodded, grinning.

“I couldn’t agree more,” Ron said through a mouthful of sweets. Hermione grimaced at his manners, and Ron smiled sheepishly.

“Hey, did you here about Potters aunt? My mother told me all about it. She was sent to Azkaban. I’ll bet she’s happy there, she doesn’t have to deal with Potter now,” said a very loud, unwelcome voice right outside. Harry, Ron, Ginny and Hermione all exchanged looks. Couldn’t they go one year without Malfoy bothering them? Not that Harry was bothered by Malfoy picking on Aunt Petunia, in fact, he preferred it. Crabbe and Goyle opened the compartment door for Malfoy, like the good little slaves they were to him. Harry sat up straighter, glaring.

“Your mum would know, Malfoy,” Hermione said cuttingly, “having most likely been to Azkaban herself.”

“Why you…” Malfoy started towards her. Ron shot up, his wand out.

“Back away now, Malfoy,” Ginny said. Malfoy glared at her.

“You’re all disgusting, you know that? Pathetic, weak…”

“I don’t see our families being lead around on a leash by Lord Voldemort,” Harry said coolly. Malfoy’s eyes crackled with hatred.

“You just wait…you cling to your friends, your god-father, Dumbledore. But what are you when they’re gone? Nothing, that’s what. Dumbledore won’t be around forever, Potter. In fact, I doubt he will live out the school year,” he said.

“Be careful what you say Malfoy,” Harry warned. Malfoy snorted.

“Like you could…” he started, but Harry cut him off.

“I could. Do you think you’re stronger than Voldemort? Do you think that? If you do, then maybe you should keep talking, but if you’re not, then maybe you should remember that I’ve beat Lord Voldemort for the last six years.” That seemed to shut Malfoy up. “I’m ready Malfoy, any time you want to test your skills.”

“Well, I hate to break it to you, but I came here for mare than a nice little chat. I came to talk to the Mud-Blood,” Malfoy said, watching Ron’s face contort in rage.

“That’s it!” Ron yelled, raising his wand.

“Wait,” Hermione said, pulling Ron’s wand down. She looked at Malfoy curiously. He had never wanted to talk to her before. “What do you want?”

“Oh, aren’t we a curious one? But haven’t you heard the Muggle saying? Curiosity killed the…”

“Malfoy, if you don’t say what you need to say in five seconds, I will blast your head off,” Ron said, shaking with anger. Malfoy grinned.

“Very well. I came to get you, we have to sit in a different compartment,” Malfoy said, smiling widely. Hermione frowned.

“Why?” she asked.

“Well, the Heads always do,” Malfoy said simply. Hermione glared, searching his robes.

“What?! You’re…”

“Head Boy. Isn’t it grand?” Malfoy said, pulling his badge out of his pocket and pinning it on the front of his robes. “I knew the Head Girl would be you. I think we’ll have fun together. Don’t you?” Hermione was at a loss for words. Malfoy was Head Boy?! There had to be a mistake, nobody in their right mind would make Malfoy head boy! Ron shook his head.

“She’s not going,” he said simply. Hermione still didn’t move.

“I’m afraid it’s the rules. And Hermione Granger never breaks the rules,” Malfoy said moving towards her. Ron grabbed Hermione’s arm and pulled her behind him.

“She’s-not-going!” Ron yelled. Malfoy advanced.

“Ron, I have to,” Hermione said, moving out from behind him. “Don’t worry, I’ll be fine.” She put a hand on her shoulder, but Harry could see that she was scared.

“Yeah, Ron,” Malfoy said. “There’s no need to worry. I’ll take good care of her.” Harry, Ginny, and Ron all moved to get at Malfoy, but Crabbe and Goyle shoved them back.

“STOP IT!” Hermione yelled, getting angry. “I can take care of myself, Ron. I’m a big girl now. I am no idiot, and if he tries anything,” Hermione said pointedly at Malfoy, “I will be sure to remove any chance he has at having kids.” Ron fumed, picking himself up off the floor.

“Hermione…” he started. “I’m going with you then.”

“No! It’s against the rules. I must say, I’m hurt at your lack of confidence in me. I’ll see you as soon as we’re finished up,” she said, and left shaking slightly. Malfoy grinned tauntingly at Ron before following her.

“DAMN!” Ron yelled, furiously, slamming his fist into the wall. “I swear to god, if lays a hand on her, I’ll kill him.” Harry nodded his agreement. The rest of the journey they sat in silence, with Ron brooding and speaking only to complain about how long it was taking Hermione and Malfoy. At one point, he said he was going to check on her, but Harry and Ginny convinced him to sit down.

“She’ll explode at you Ron. She’s right; you need to have more confidence. She can take care of herself. I’ve never met a witch who was as smart and good with a wand as her,” Ginny said, patting Ron on the back. Ron put his hands on his face.

A little while later, just before the train stopped at Hogwarts, Hermione came back. Ron leapt out of his seat, running to her, and checking for bruises or something apparently.

“What happened? Are you alright? Did he touch you?” Ron said furiously. Hermione brushed him off.

“I’m fine Ron,” she said crisply. He looked into her eyes, probing. She smiled. “I think I love you,” she said. Ron’s eyes widened, and then he kissed her, right in plain sight of anybody passing their compartment.

“That’s a relief, because I love you too!” he said, grinning.

They all got out of the train, and Harry stopped. He wanted more than anything to hear Hagrid’s voice calling the first years. Instead, however, Professor McGonagall called them, obviously having taken care of the first years this time. That got Harry thinking. Who was the new Care of Magical Creatures teacher going to be this year?

“Coming, Harry?” Ginny asked, taking his hand.

“Yeah, yeah I’m coming,” he muttered. As soon as they entered the Great Hall, Harry scanned the staff table, looking for new faces. He saw none. Could that mean they were late? Or had they not found people for the jobs yet? The group went to find seats together, and sat down, waiting for the sorting to be over. It seemed to take forever, and by the time “Zoleni, Catherine!” was made a Slytherin, Harry’s stomach was growling. Dumbledore stood up.

“Welcome, to another year at Hogwarts! Now, I had a very long, three scroll speech prepared, specifically for this occasion!” he said smiling. There were some moans, but Harry grinned. “Last night, however, I accidentally sent it, instead of the check I owe a friend.” Everybody laughed loudly. “So all that is left, I will leave till after we have eaten. Let the feast begin!” There was applause and cheering as the golden dishes piled themselves high with food.

After they were all fed, and feeling very groggy, Dumbledore stood up again. Everybody fell silent.

“I trust you enjoyed your dinner?” There were loud claps of approval. “Excellent. Now, first, I would like to explain to students, new and old, that the Forbidden Forest is not to be entered at any time.” There was silence. “Next, I would like to introduce our new Defense Against the Dark Arts Teacher,” there was suspense in the air. “Severus Snape!” Last year, Harry would have been disgusted to hear this, but since Sirius’ return from the past, Snape had been, well, bearable. There was a pause while Dumbledore surveyed the students. “I’m not sure if you know, but last year, we had a staff member taken from us. He died bravely in battle. He was our own, Rubeus Hagrid.” There was a shocked silence throughout the great hall, and many people burst into tears. Others, like the Slytherins, all sniggered quietly. Harry began shaking, refusing to look at Malfoy. “We must remember his always, never let the impression he made on you be taken. Whether the impression was good, or bad,” he said, looking directly at the Slytherins. Malfoy stopped smiling. “We have, however, found somebody to take over the position of Care of Magical Creatures teacher. May I recognize… Argus Filch!”
“No…” Harry muttered, along with the rest of the school. Filch?! Teaching a class?!



A/N: Please READ AND REVEIW!!!