Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The First Battle by nnnancy

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Ten - Harry and Draco

Professor Lupin escorted the Gryffindors to the Great Hall for a late lunch; poor Ron couldn’t take anymore revelations on an empty stomach. Harry was feeling well, and hungry. Lupin joined them at their table, and listened to their various accounts of the daring rescue.

“No, Hermione, I was the one who took out Draco,” said Ron. “He tried to fight me off, but I was too strong for him. Beaters have gotta have powerful arms, look here.” He pulled up the sleeve of his sweater to show off his biceps.

Lovely, Ron,” giggled Hermione, as Harry and Ginny tried not to laugh. They had learned that after Ginny found Professor Lupin in the owlery, the pair of them had scoured the castle trying to find Snape, Lupin being assured that Dumbledore would locate Harry. They had even visited the unnamed Death Eater under guard in the dungeon.

“Oh, the man was horrid,” Ginny had told them. “He has the most evil-looking eyes, nearly white they are, and such a foul stench! I was sure I’d lose my breakfast.”

Ron rolled his eyes. “Ginny, d’you have to talk like that at the table? I’m eating!” He shoveled another large forkful of ox tongue pie into his mouth.

“Has he been questioned yet?” Harry asked Lupin.

Remus sighed. “He’s been up in Dumbledore’s office every day since he was brought in, but no one’s gotten anything out of him. The headmaster is still trying to decipher what that glass ball he had is about.”

“Is he certain it’s not a prophecy?” asked Neville, as he finished his treacle tart. “It sure looked like the ones we saw in the Department of Mysteries.” Ginny, Ron and Hermione looked at Harry at Neville’s mention of the place where he lost his godfather, but Harry pretended not to notice.

Hermione answered Neville’s question. “He’s run some tests on it and says he sure there’s something magical inside it, but he can’t make out what. It may even be a new magic that no one’s seen before. That’s why he’s spending so much time with it.”

“New magic? How can there be a new magic? I thought magic was, like, the most ancient stuff there is,” said Ron.

“New magics are being created all the time, Ron,” answered Lupin before Hermione could finish her exasperated sigh. “Take a look at your Chocolate Frog cards: Sacharissa Tugwood, Gaspard Shingleton, Nicholas Flammel “ all inventors or scientists, finding as yet undiscovered potions and magics. Even Albus Dumbledore. And quite likely “ Lord Voldemort.” The group around the table sobered at this thought.

After they had finished their lunch, Remus insisted on taking Harry back up to the Gryffindor tower so he could get some rest. “But I’m fine,” he protested. “Perfectly back to normal, Remus! Can’t I stay with you? I was hoping to take another walk round the lake,” he said, giving Professor Lupin a meaningful look.

“I’m sorry, Harry. I look forward to our lakeside walks as much as you do, but I did promise Madame Pomfrey. Do you think I want her wrath on my head? She may strap me into a bed and pour boiling oil over me “ for my own good, of course.”

“We’ll come with you Harry. We should have a look at our homework anyway; classes start back up in just a couple of days.”

“What happened to your pact, Hermione? I thought we were just going to have fun this holiday,” Ron gave her a superior look through narrowed eyes, which she returned.

“I suppose, Ronald, that my pact flew out the window not 24 hours after it had been made. Besides,” she asked him, “haven’t you been having fun?”

Ron’s ears went pink, and he declined to answer.



Lupin sat with them for a while in the common room. Hermione did indeed make them all go get their homework, and soon she was clucking over their careless mistakes. "Oh, Neville,” she sighed. “This potions essay needs a little more work, I’m afraid. You’ve left out the three most common uses of fluxweed.”

“Fluxweed?” moaned Ron. “I don’t remember anything about fluxweed!”

Harry looked at his pile of unfinished work. He wondered whether any of his professors might give him a little extra time to hand in his assignments, since he was unconscious for several days of his vacation. He was sure Snape wouldn’t.

Suddenly the portrait door into the tower swung open, and they were all surprised to see Filch, the caretaker, climb stiffly through.

“Argus! What a pleasant surprise,” said Professor Lupin. Harry was sure it wasn’t going to be pleasant at all.

“Hrrumph,” puffed Filch. “Potter, the headmaster wants to see you in his office. Now,” he added.

“What, again?” asked Harry, perplexed. He hadn’t often been sent to see Dumbledore twice in one day.

Harry glanced round the common room. “See you guys later, I guess.” Remus stood to accompany him. He calmly walked past the caretaker’s angry stare, giving the older man a friendly pat on the shoulder as he did so. Harry saw Filch draw back, and felt a flash of anger himself - how could Filch, a squib, have any animosity towards a werewolf? He had no grounds for such prejudice, Harry thought.

Harry and Lupin followed Filch back down the stairs, to the second floor entrance of Dumbledore’s office, where they had so recently been. This time the stone gargoyle was in place. “Canary creams,” declared Filch. The gargoyle sprang aside, and Harry and Lupin stepped aboard the spiral staircase for the second time that day. Lupin knocked on the oak door, which opened to admit them.

Again, Harry found Snape in the headmaster’s office. He took one look at Harry and turned to stare out the window, his back to them.

“Harry, thank you for returning, and Remus, I’m pleased you’re here as well. I require Harry’s assistance with something, and I hope you will allow it.” Dumbledore moved from behind his desk to stand beside Harry and the professor. “We have been attempting to question Draco Malfoy. Professor Snape has even tried to reach into young Mr. Malfoy’s thoughts, but apparently someone has been teaching Draco the skills of Occlumency. It has occurred to Professor Snape that your presence, Harry, might be enough to cause Draco to, umm . . . reveal some emotion, thus making it easier for him to catch whatever the boy is trying to hide.”

Harry looked at Remus. “What if his presence causes me to reveal some emotion,” he muttered under his breath to Lupin. Remus gave Harry a small smile, when, from near the window, Snape answered Harry’s murmured question.

“I’m sure such an accomplished Occlumens as Mr. Potter will have no trouble sealing off his emotions from Mr. Malfoy,” he said coldly. Snape was looking unblinking into Harry’s eyes. Harry focused his gaze on his trainers.

“I’m sure Severus is right,” Remus confidently answered. “Harry, what do you think? Can you do this?”

Harry didn’t think he was all that accomplished in Occlumency, but with all of them looking at him, he couldn't refuse. A few minutes later Draco Malfoy arrived, under the watchful eye of the very large, very menacing Kingsley Shacklebolt. Harry hadn’t seen him since the meeting in the Three Broomsticks and didn’t realize he was still at Hogwarts. He wondered how many other members of the Order were concealed in the great castle.

Draco did not look well. He looked, if possible, even more pale than usual. His eyes showed the strain he was under, dark circles hanging beneath. Harry felt not the slightest pity.

Harry stepped in front of Draco; he jumped, startled. Then his eyes narrowed. “What are you doing here, Potter?” he drawled. “Come to watch?”

Harry struggled to keep control of the fury that had immediately sprung to life in him as soon as he saw his long-time enemy. It wasn’t easy.

“No, Draco,” he said, as calmly as he could. “Just bringing you a message for your boss. Tell him he failed, again, and that soon it’ll be my turn.”

Draco turned red with rage. He lunged for Harry, but Kingsley held him back. At that moment, Snape shoved Harry aside and placed his hands on the struggling boy’s temples, and looked fiercely into his eyes. Draco tried to pull away, and his full gaze fell onto Harry.

Harry’s head erupted with pictures, memories that Draco carried inside his head. A small tow-headed boy, his little body covered with bruises, cowering before a tall, blond-haired man, whose face was unrecognizable in his rage. A woman trying to pull him away, only to be sent flying across the room herself. Harry saw an older Draco, one he was familiar with from his first year at school, receiving a tongue lashing from his father on platform 9 and three quarters, his white-blond head bent under the weight of it.

Harry tried to stop, he didn’t want to see any more, but the scenes that were flooding his mind kept coming. Lucius Malfoy and many Death Eaters at the Quidditch World Cup, flames and smoke surrounding them, an admiring Draco walking alongside his father “ until he was lifted high into the air, screaming and struggling, while Lucius laughed insanely. He saw an image of the same man, writhing on the ground with Lord Voldemort’s wand pointed at him, begging his Master to forgive him, to stop the Cruciatus curse that was torturing him, as Draco knelt in the dirt, sobbing. Harry fought to pull away, but his mind was so connected to Draco’s that he couldn’t. He saw the Dark Lord standing over the boy, a hand on his head, welcoming him into the ranks of the Death Eaters, his father standing by proudly. He saw Draco crying again, prostrate before his new master, begging him to choose someone else to kill Snape . . ..

Remus had Harry around the chest, dragging him back, tearing him away from the visions he had seen. Draco was crumpled to the floor, wailing. Harry felt faint, and tried hard to regain his senses; he too was weeping. Remus laid him gently on the sofa, stroking his head and wiping away his tears. The room came back into focus.

“Harry,” Remus was saying, “it’s alright, it’s over. It’s over; you did well, Harry. I’m so proud of you.”

Remus helped him to sit up. Snape and Kingsley were half leading, half-carrying Draco out of Dumbledore’s office. The headmaster approached Harry, looking shaken.

“I’m so sorry, Harry, that you had to go through that. Apparently Draco panicked at the idea of Snape seeing what was in his mind, and as you were nearest and had the ability, he latched on to you. Are you alright?”

Harry took a quick inventory. Aside from a headache and his trembling muscles, he was physically fine. But his mind was reeling with all he had seen. He had never felt the slightest bit of sympathy towards Draco, but now, this. He had thought he had it rough at Privet Drive.

“I’m alright, Professor. Did . . . anyone see what I saw “ you, or Professor Snape?”

“I saw it, Harry,” admitted Remus Lupin. Harry turned around to face him.

“You?” he asked, his eyes wide.

“Yes. I’m a Legilimens, Harry. I’m sorry I never told you before. Even Sirius didn’t know.”

It took Harry a moment to respond. “I should have known. You always seem to know what I’m thinking.”

“I don’t have as good a control over it as you do, Harry. Sometimes I barge into people’s thoughts without intending to. Not really a gift that adds to my popularity,” said Lupin ruefully.

“So then . . . you saw it, too? What was in Draco’ mind?”

The professor nodded. “Horrible,” was all he said.

“Harry,” said Dumbledore, “I’m sorry to have put you through this.”

“It’s okay, Professor. It was probably something I was supposed to see. I can understand Draco better now.”

A look of admiration crossed Dumbledore’s face. “You are learning, Harry. You are beginning to harness the Great Power of which I told you. A man like you, with your gifts,” Dumbledore said to him, “will certainly be able to defeat the Dark Lord - when it is time.”