Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The First Battle by nnnancy

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter two - Into Hogsmeade

The next morning dawned bright and clear. Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny sauntered down to breakfast after they enjoyed a long lie in. It was Christmas Eve, after all. They did indeed appear to be the only students who had stayed at Hogwarts, as the only others in the Great Hall were adults - the teachers and staff that had stayed, as well as several members of the Order. They had obviously not had a lie in; most of them were finishing up their breakfasts and beginning to head out of the hall. Harry was pleased to see that Professor Lupin was there, looking better than he had in a while. His clothes were still shabby, but they were warm, and he looked well fed. Harry saw him frequently around Hogwarts, for although he was no longer teaching, he was assisting Dumbledore with some administrative duties, and was often on the grounds. He saw Harry and waved from the teacher’s table. Harry smiled and waved back. Harry noticed that Snape had stayed on as well.

“Why is he here?” Harry asked, keeping his voice low. “I thought he was off playing spy.” Snape had missed his last few classes before Christmas.

“Dunno,” Ron replied, the only word he was able to get out between mouthfuls.

“I heard he was ill,” Ginny offered, as she helped herself to an amazing amount of kippers and eggs for a person of her size.

Hermione frowned at them all. “Now, now, none of this,” she exclaimed. “We made a pact, remember? Professor Dumbledore!” she called, as the headmaster (wearing a purple dressing gown and nightcap with misty planets slowly orbiting their suns), moved, smiling, towards their little group at one end of the long Gryffindor table.

“Good morning, my dears!” He sat and helped himself to a piece of toast that Harry had just spread with marmalade. “Or should I wish you good afternoon?” He bit into Harry’s toast, and put it back on his plate. “What are my young Gryffindors up to today?”

“Professor,” Hermione began, “we were wondering if the four of us could go into Hogsmeade today, to go Christmas shopping.”

The others hadn’t been wondering anything of the sort, but now that it was said, it seemed the best plan in the world. They all chimed in, begging and pleading and promising. Dumbledore laughed, and motioned for Tonks, Moody, and Lupin to join him.

“I believe, Miss Tonks, that you had been hoping for a trip into Hogsmeade,” the headmaster smiled down at her. “Would you be willing to accompany these four into the village?”

Before she could answer, Moody spoke up. “I’d nix that if I were you, Dumbledore” he growled. “Bad idea. This boy” - he jabbed a finger towards Harry - “needs to be kept under wraps.”

“Oh, but Professor,” Harry interjected quickly. “I’d be safe in Hogsmeade with Tonks and Ron and everybody, and I don’t think Voldemort - oh, sorry, Professor Moody - anyway, I don’t think he’s anywhere near here. My scar hasn’t hurt in ages, and I can always feel when he’s near."

This was true. Most surprisingly, Harry hadn’t felt so much as a prickle in his scar since the encounter in the Ministry of Magic last term. He had wondered about this, but truthfully, he was so grateful for the relief that he had never asked Dumbledore why this should be.

“I’d be happy to accompany Harry as well, Headmaster,” said Remus Lupin, giving Harry a wink. “I think we’d be safe with a quick trip to the village. Besides,” he told Moody, who was glaring dangerously at him with his magical eye, “I haven’t bought your Christmas present yet, Alastor.”

“Hrrmph,” said the gravelly voice. “S’pose I’ll have to go along, too, if you’re all determined to go gallivanting around the countryside.”

Dumbledore looked delighted. “Excellent!” he cried. Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny exchanged pleased looks. Harry knew that his guardian cared more for his safety than Professor Moody could ever guess, as did Remus. But he also knew that they wanted him to be happy, to have as normal a life as possible under the circumstances. “Well, what are you waiting for? Go get your cloaks!” Dumbledore clapped his hands together for effect.

“But I ‘aven’t finished my breakfast” complained Ron, his mouth full.

Ten minutes later, Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny were jauntily walking the sparkling, sunlit path towards Hogsmeade, accompanied by their magical escort. The new fallen snow had left the trees lining the path heavy with glistening frost, as if Father Christmas had painted them himself just for their pleasure. Hermione and Ginny were walking a little way ahead with Tonks, their heads close together in conversation, oblivious to this glorious Christmas Eve morning. Harry and Ron were engaged in a conversation about the Gryffindor Quidditch team. Ron thought their chances for the house cup were excellent again this year. Harry agreed, naturally, although he didn’t feel he had been playing his best lately. It seemed to be taking him longer to catch the snitch than it used to.

“You’re crazy, mate!” said Ron emphatically. “You’re as good as you ever were - better, in fact. If we could all fly like you, they’d send us to the bloody World Cup! We’ve just finally got some decent competition, is all. All the house teams have good seekers this year, even....” His voice trailed off. Harry looked up to find him staring at the back of Hermione’s head in front of them.

“Ron?”

“Harry, Hermione’s a girl, y’know?” Ron sounded confused.

Harry ducked a smile. “Yeah, I know that, Ron.”

“Well... do you ever think about girls, Harry?”

Harry couldn’t hide his smile this time. “Only all the time, Mate.”

Ron continued to stare. “What do you think of them?” he asked slowly.

“I think they’re ... brilliant. And exasperating,” he added, thinking of Cho.

“Yeah,” agreed Ron. “Me too.”

No further intelligible conversation came out of Ron for the remainder of the walk into Hogsmeade.

As they all rounded the path and the village came into view, Moody stopped them. “Now remember,” he cautioned them. “Coming here was as foolish an idea as I’ve ever heard, but as long as we’re here...”

“CONSTANT VIGILANCE!” shouted the little group. Even Professor Moody cracked a small smile.

“All right then,” he softened slightly. “Where to first?”

“Zonkos!” Tonks’ voice rose above the others. “I promised Kingsley I’d pick something up for him.” Tonks was resplendent today in bright green hair and red eyes (“Christmas colors” she had told Ginny). The group of students and professors moved off down the street. They had taken only a few steps when they heard a familiar voice behind them.

“HEY,” boomed the voice. “Wait up a bit, can’ ye!” Hagrid lumbered down the walk towards them, carrying a red leather purse on his arm. “Dumledore tol’ me where ye went. Thought I’d do a bit o’ me Christmas shoppin’ with ye.”

Moody glared. “Oh, by all means join us, Hagrid,” he glared at the giant man. “I’m sure we’ll be quite inconspicuous.”

“Thank ye, Professor! Knew ye wouldn’t mind,” said Hagrid happily. “Need to get a gift for Olympe,” he whispered conspiratorially.

“Professor Moody,” piped up Hermione. “Perhaps we should separate for a while. We’ll draw less attention to ourselves in small groups, don’t you think?”. Harry thought she was drawing plenty of attention to herself, as she was blushing quite as red as Ron ever did. Ginny seemed to be quite amused by this also, and she and Harry exchanged furtive smiles.

“Mm,” grunted Moody, which they took to be an assent. Tonks, Hermione and Ginny headed in the direction of Zonko’s, once again giggling and talking together. Hagrid accompanied them. Ron stared after them, shaking his head.

“How can they think of so much to talk about?” he asked no one in particular.

Professor Lupin put a friendly arm around Ron. “Their brains work differently, Ron. Girls tend to think with their hearts rather than their heads. Makes them a little toooo...” he searched for the right word. “Intuitive for their own good. They know things we don’t.”

“Blimey,” whispered Ron. “We don’t stand a chance.”

Harry’s thoughts echoed Ron’s words exactly.

PLEASE NOTE: This story will be moving to the Romance section (R/H & H/G). I hope you have enjoyed it, and will continue to read future chapters there. Thank You!