Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The First Battle by nnnancy

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Four – The Perfect Gift

Back on the chilly street in the village, Harry felt – not lighthearted, but – at ease. In spite of Hermione’s pact, it was difficult for Harry to not think about Voldemort; it’s hard to keep someone whom you know wants to kill you off your mind. But now he was doing something, and that felt much better than being cooped up in the castle not doing anything. He noticed the cheery greenery and sparkling fairy lights in the shop windows, the enchanted wreaths hanging on the shop doors merrily singing Christmas carols, and suddenly realized he was quite in the holiday spirit. He looked over at Ron, walking warily beside him, and punched him in the shoulder. “Come on, Ron; it’s not that bad.”

Ron rubbed his shoulder and gave Harry a feeble grin. “I’m fine. Just … just had too much to eat.”

Harry thought this unlikely, as Ron could eat a small bull elephant in one sitting given the chance. He thought he knew what might take Ron’s mind off the fact that they were walking bait. “Let’s go into Finnegan’s Finery,” he suggested to Ron. “Maybe we can find something Hermione would like.”

Ron brightened at this, and so they, and their two escorts, turned into the shop. Harry had heard of this place, but had never been inside. Mostly he’d heard about it from the girls talking in the corridors at school, showing off their latest baubles and trinkets and bits of lace. Moody groaned as the door closed behind them. “Trapped,” he growled, his magical eye spinning. “Trapped in a monument to feminine indulgence.” Lupin just laughed, and moved forward to help Harry and Ron with their shopping.

“Looking for anything special, boys?” he asked with a grin. Ron had turned a most spectacular shade of pink – in fact, he quite matched the silk in the display case in the window.

“Just looking,” he whispered. Harry laughed and pushed him forward, towards some delicate, dancing butterflies.

“What about something like this, Ron?” he suggested.

Ron looked puzzled. “What are they?” he asked.

A little old witch stepped up to answer his question. “They’re hair ornaments, dear. See? A young lady fastens one into her hair” - here she placed a flittering butterfly onto her own silver locks – “and it flutters about. The girls all love them- believe me. What color is your girlfriend’s hair?”

Professor Lupin and Harry fell together in soundless laughter at the look on Ron’s face, shaking in silent mirth. Even Moody had to brace himself against the wall as they listened to Ron sputter.

“Well, she’s not really my …I mean, she’s sort of… but I haven’t asked her or anything… I don’t… Blimey!” he finished. “Brown!”

“All right, you three can lay off now,” Ron mumbled a few minutes later, as they all left the glittering little shop. “I guess my secret’s not a secret anymore.”

“I’ve got news for you, mate. It never was,” Harry said, wiping his eyes.

Ron looked horrified. “What? He squeaked. “What d’you mean?”

“Oh, come now, Ron.” Professor Lupin spoke up from beside them. “Anyone with eyes can see that you are quite infatuated with Hermione. I could tell it three years ago, when I was your instructor. I really would have thought you’d have made mention of it to her by now.”

“That’s easy for you to say,” Ron looked lost. “You’re not…infatuated with the most brilliant witch at Hogwarts. I can never think of a way to talk her that sounds smart enough, or clever enough, or….”

“She doesn’t want someone smart or clever,” Moody broke in. “She wants you.”

“What?” Ron whirled on the grey-haired professor. “How do you know that?”

“Oh, I get around a fair bit,” he answered slyly. “But don’t take my word for it. Ask her.”

Down the street came Hermione, Ginny, and Tonks, who was wearing what looked like a Christmas tree on her head. “Wotcher, Harry,” she called. As she drew nearer they saw that she had merely piled her green hair into a realistic tree-shape on her head. All three were loaded down with packages.

“Where have you four been?” asked Hermione, her cheeks bright from the cold. “And whatever is the matter with you, Ron?”

Ron looked dangerously at Harry. “Nothing,” he said. “That’s a lot of shopping, Hermione. Can I …can I carry something for you?”

Hermione gave Ron a quizzical look, but only said, “... Yes … Thank you, Ron.”

“What happened to Hagrid?” asked Harry, determinedly not looking at Ron.

Ginny, pink-cheeked as well, answered, “Oh, he’s being daft. He wanted to buy Madame Maxime a present for Christmas, and got it into his head that she’d like a knarl. We tried to talk him out of it, but he insisted. I don’t think she’ll care for it much, once it gets into her garden.”

“A knarl?” asked Harry. “What’s a knarl?”

“It’s a furry little animal, looks like a hedgehog,” said Ron from behind Hermione’s shopping. “But if it gets mad at you, look out. It can completely destroy a garden in five minutes flat.”

“Anyway,” continued Ginny, “Hagrid said to tell you that he had to take it back to his house to get it out of the cold. Speaking of which,” she shivered, “does anyone want to go get something hot to drink?”

Harry would have liked this, but he hadn’t finished all his shopping. “I still have a few things left to pick up. Can I meet you in a little while?”

“I’ll come with you, Harry. Why don’t the rest of you go into Madame Puddifoot’s tea shop for something warm, and we’ll meet you there shortly.” Lupin gave Ron the smallest of winks as he said this.

“Right – okay!” exclaimed Ron. “After you, Hermione.”

Hermione was looking at Ron as though he had two heads. She and the others moved on down the street. Moody gave Remus a daunting glare with his magical eye, and followed them. Harry watched them go, Ginny’s brilliant red hair flying out behind her as she ran ahead of the others, seeking the warmth of the tearoom. The sight mesmerized Harry. He suddenly thought how beautiful a dancing butterfly would look in her hair.

After Remus and Harry had stopped in at Scrivenshaft’s (new quills and a selection of magical inks for Hermione) and Dervish and Bangs (a broomstick servicing kit and Quidditch poster for Ron), Harry hesitantly asked Professor Lupin if they could go back to Finnegan’s Finery. Remus looked at Harry with a quizzically furrowed brow.

“Hoping to find something for your hair?” he inquired.

It was Harry’s turn to blush now. “Not exactly,” he confessed. “I’d like to get something for …well, for Ginny.” Silently Harry breathed a fervent apology to Ron for teasing him about Hermione.

“Ahaaa,” said Lupin, suddenly understanding. “Must be something in the air this Christmas, eh? Come on, let’s go. Then we’d better go and meet the others.”

Madame Puddifoot’s was warm and inviting, not being ridiculously decorated for Valentine’s day. Harry couldn’t help but remember his last disastrous visit here with Cho. He hadn’t spoken to her much this year, except as her instructor for the DA, which she continued to attend – much to Harry’s surprise. He found he really didn’t think about her much, and it appeared that she was happier these days than she had been with him.

Professor Lupin and Harry had just sat down and ordered coffee when Harry’s eye was drawn to the window that looked into the back alley behind the teashop. There behind the gauzy lace curtains, deeply hooded and moving quickly in the shadows, was a slight figure Harry was sure he recognized. “Professor Moody!” he hissed.

“I see him, Harry,” Moody replied in a low voice. “Keep your voice down, and don’t draw attention to yourself. I’ll follow him.”

“I’ll come with you,” Ron bravely volunteered.

“You’ll do no such thing. Stay here with Harry and the others. Tonks,” he said. She nodded. She pulled her cloak around her, screwed up her face, and rose from her seat as a pale, white-blond, middle aged male. She disappeared out the door. “Remus,” Moody looked at Lupin as he drew his cloak around him.

“I know what to do, Alastor. Be careful.”

Professor Moody went to the door, tapped himself on the head with his wand, and disappeared – although Harry could just make out his outline moving quickly into the street, and knew he had preformed a disillusionment charm.

All the students started talking at once. “Quiet,” Lupin reminded them. “Act casual.” He demonstrated by sitting back and sipping his coffee. He then began playing with the sugar bowl, stirring its contents first counterclockwise, then clockwise, then back again. Harry knew the professor was not one for nervous habits, and it occurred to him that it must be some kind of signal.

Two couples immediately got up and left Madame Puddifoot’s, and Harry was sure he was right. He closed his eyes and concentrated on the figure he had just seen – he was sure he had seen it before. He could almost place that sneaking gait, the narrow build, the twitchy, feral movements….

“Malfoy!” Harry hissed between his teeth. “Remus, that was Draco Malfoy under that hood! I’m sure of it!”

Professor Lupin stared at Harry for a moment. “I believe you, Harry,” he said quietly. “But we’ll have to let Alastor deal with whatever he finds.”

Hermione and Ginny sat, with mouths open, staring from Harry, to Ron, to Lupin, and back to Harry again. Hermione’s mouth snapped closed and her eyes narrowed. “Is someone going to tell us what’s going on?” she asked in a low voice, as she shakily added more sugar to her rapidly cooling tea.

“Unfortunately, no, Miss Granger,” answered Professor Lupin smoothly, as Ron and Harry both reached for the sugar bowl, avoiding Hermione’s gaze. “I’m sure Professor Moody is just taking precautions. I expect he’ll be back shortly. More tea?”

Lupin’s cool demeanor didn’t fool Hermione. Harry chanced a look at her and found her brow furrowed, and knew she would soon figure out that the whole purpose of today’s trip into Hogsmeade was to get him out in the open, to draw the Death Eaters’ fire. And now it looked as if perhaps they had. Harry knew that Draco Malfoy hated him, had always hated him, and never more so than after learning that Harry had exposed his father as one of Lord Voldemort’s followers, and landed him in the wizard’s prison – although if Dumbledore was correct, Lucius Malfoy would be joining his son any day now.

All heads looked up when the bell above Madame Puddifoot’s front door jangled cheerily. The witch Harry had met in the Three Broomsticks appeared in the doorway, and beckoned the others to follow her. They all rose. “Wands at the ready, all of you,” Lupin whispered, “but keep them concealed.”

Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny did as instructed and followed Professor Lupin and the witch out in the cold air. The streets seemed to crackle with energy as the small group walked back up past the shops they had so recently visited. The witch (Madame Newcastle, Harry remembered) led them into the post office, and took them right into the back room, where at least 300 owls sat waiting impatiently for something to deliver. In the center of the owl room waited Albus Dumbledore with Professor Moody.

“Got ‘im” growled Moody. “Followed the kid to the Hogshead. Turned out to be young Malfoy. Seems he was delivering a message to someone. We apprehended a fella in the back room after the kid left. This,” Moody held out a smoky glass sphere lit from within, “is what Malfoy delivered.”

“A Prophecy!” said Hermione.

“Perhaps,” said Dumbledore. “Or perhaps something else.”

“Who did you catch, Professor?” asked Ron. “Was it Mr. Malfoy?”

Dumbledore sighed. “No, Ron, it was someone with whom we are not familiar. Even Alastor here has never seen him before. We have taken him to the castle and secured him there under heavy guard. This object, however,” the headmaster went on, “appears be something of value to the Dark Side. The man we captured put up quite a fight to keep it from being taken. Harry, I wonder if you would mind holding this?”

Harry hesitated. The last time he had held a Prophecy in his hand was the night that Sirius had died.

“It’s all right, Harry,” Professor Dumbledore said softly, placing a hand on his shoulder.

Harry reached out and took the glowing orb from Professor Moody. It was cool and smooth.

“Does it feel warm at all to you, Harry?” asked Dumbledore.

“No, Sir,” Harry replied.

“Hmmm,” said Dumbledore thoughtfully, exchanging glances with Moody. “I do not think this is a Prophecy, though what it is, I cannot say. Well,” He looked around at the group. “I daresay we have kept you from your planned activities today. I think it best if we all retire to the castle. Remus, Alastor, if you will escort these young people.… I think the tunnel through Honeyduke’s cellar might be the best way back to Hogwarts.

Hermione looked like she had a million questions for Dumbledore, and was rather insulted at not being allowed to ask them. Harry was somewhat disgruntled as well; he would have liked more information on the man that was caught, and on that glass ball that looked so much like a Prophecy, but wasn’t.

The walk back to Hogwarts through the tunnel was uneventful, and the teachers left their charges in the third floor corridor and headed off towards the stairs, muttering to each other. The Gryffindors trudged upstairs to their common room. Hermione managed to contain her questions until they had all found chairs by the fire. “Now, what…?”

Ron cut her off. “Look Hermione,” he said as gently as he could, “we can’t tell you, so don’t ask.”

“We’re really sorry, Hermione,” added Harry. “It’s really nothing for you girls to worry about, though.” Harry knew at once he’d said the wrong thing.

“‘You girls’?”spat Ginny. “What are we, some simpering, helpless females? I thought we went over this before Harry, before the battle at the Ministry. You know we’re just as tough as you are.” Fire loomed in Ginny’s eyes. But somehow Harry knew that she wasn’t really mad at him. She was just worried, that’s all.

“Look,” said Harry, “as much as we all might like to make a pact and make Voldemort just go away, we all know that’s not going to happen. There’s something you should all know.” Harry had been searching all year for the right time to tell his friends about the contents of the Prophecy regarding Voldemort and himself. But afraid of worrying them, he had kept quiet. But now, for their own safety … If Dumbledore was inviting the Death Eaters and their master right into Hogsmeade, his friends should know what to expect. Honoring Dumbledore’s request not to tell Hermione about the meeting earlier in the Three Broomsticks, Harry at last shared with Ron, Hermione and Ginny that whole of the Prophecy.

“…And so in the end, it looks like it’s either him or me,” finished Harry. “One of us must die at the hands of the other.” Harry looked up at their wide eyes and pale faces. Hermione had her hands over her mouth, trying not to cry. Silent tears were running down Ginny’s cheeks. Ron’s ears were scarlet, his breathing ragged.

Hermione shuddered. “I should have known,” she whispered. “I thought you were the weapon Dumbledore talked about, but I didn’t realize …oh, Harry!”

Harry smiled a wan smile. “I’m sorry about your pact, ‘Mione. I was hoping things would stay quiet over Christmas.”

The portrait hole swung open, and Remus Lupin clamored through. “I thought you’d be here,” he said with a smile. He joined the four of them in front of the fire, and took in their pale faces and red eyes. “Is everything alright?” he asked with concern. The others looked at Harry.

“I told them about the Prophecy, Remus. About the ending,” he added.

“Ahhh,” breathed the Professor. “I understand. It’s a little daunting, right at first, isn’t it?”

“You can say that again,” Ron answered for all of them.

“I can’t believe Professor Dumbledore allowed Harry to leave the castle today,” declared Hermione, her brown eyes flashing. “What if Voldemort had come? Harry’s not ready for a… a… a showdown yet! He could have been killed!”

“Wait a minute,” Harry interrupted. “I think I can decide for myself when I’m ready to face Voldemort, thank you. I’ve been sitting around Hogwarts all year, waiting for something to happen. The longer I wait, the stronger he gets! The sooner I can face him, the better chance we all have of living to see the future! D’you know what it’s like, knowing I’m responsible for everyone out there? The whole Wizarding world, and the Muggle world as well? Anyone who dies, or gets tortured, or….” Harry trailed off, his anger fading as quickly as it had errupted. In its place was a feeling of hopelessness, helplessness.

“Harry,” Ginny said softly. “It’s okay. It’s okay to be scared. This is a really big deal, and you’re just a kid.” Her eyes were wet, and filled with compassion.

Professor Lupin moved closer to Harry, and put his hands on his shoulders. “Harry, we’ve talked about this kind of thinking, you and I. You are not responsible for the evil that the Dark Lord perpetrates. And Ginny’s right – you’re just a kid. We are all here to help you, to train you, to ready you for that moment when you must face Lord Voldemort, alone. But Harry, now’s not that time. There is a plan in motion. Let those who love you help you, Harry.” Harry swallowed hard, and nodded, grateful that he didn’t need to say anything to those who knew him so well.

It was a subdued group that entered the Great Hall for Christmas Eve supper that night. Their spirits were cheered, however, by the appearance of Mr. Weasley and his oldest sons. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny found them seated at a table set in the center of the room, with most of the rest of the staff. Even Professor Trelawney, who seldom emerged from her tower room these days, had joined the company, dressed in her glittering finest. Even with so few students remaining at the school for the holidays, the Great Hall had been made festive. Merry flags bearing images of holly and ivy, golden hippogriffs, and glittering wreaths had replaced the house banners. The usual sparkling trees and ornaments, enchanted snow, and a myriad of flickering candles all brought Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny cheer. The little group began to feel as though it might really be Christmas after all – and their melancholy was nearly forgotten when Mr. Weasley told them of his surprise.

“The Burrow!” exclaimed Ron loudly. “ We really get to go to the Burrow for Christmas?”

Mr. Weasley smiled, his eyes twinkling. “That’s right, Ron. The Order has been there for the last couple of days, putting charms and enchantments all around the place. Isn’t that right, Headmaster?”

Professor Dumbledore’s face was tired, but his eyes were bright as well. “That is correct, my dears. And I hope you will allow me to join you – it’s been far too long since I’ve had any of Molly’s excellent cooking.”

The rest of the evening passed in pleasant conversation and good food. Harry noticed that Ginny was especially talkative. He was sure it had to do with the warm, comforting presence of her father; Harry knew that they has always been close. Ron and Hermione, too, seemed to be deep in conversation. Harry, Lupin and Ginny had just started a game of exploding snap with Mr. Weasley when Harry noticed Ron and Hermione rise from the table. Ron caught Harry’s eye. “Think we’ll go for a little walk, stretch our legs a bit,” he said, too casually.

“Right,” answered Harry, hiding a grin. “See you upstairs.”

He walked Ginny up to the Gryffindor tower an hour later, trailing ash – they had both lost the game miserably. Harry looked at Ginny and chuckled. She looked as though she was wearing a masquerade guise, with soot across her eyes and nose. “What’s so funny?” she asked with amusement.

“You look like you’re wearing a mask,” he grinned. “Like you’ve just returned from one of those masquerade Balls or something.” He offered her his handkerchief.

Ginny smiled and took the handkerchief. “ Well, at least I don’t look like a scraggly old barn owl. You’ve soot everywhere but under your glasses.”

Harry laughed and took back the handkerchief she passed him. He stopped on the staircase leading up to the seventh floor and pulled off his glasses. Unfortunately, this particular staircase began moving at precisely that moment, so that Harry lost his balance and stumbled into Ginny. He grabbed her shoulders to steady himself, as she put her arms out to catch him. “Good reflexes,” Harry said as he looked into her laughing brown eyes. How had he never noticed they were flecked with gold? “Sorry,” he added – but did not remove his hands from her shoulders.

She looked up at him. “That’s alright”. He noticed she did not remove her hands from his chest. As the staircase glided smoothly onward, Harry felt a warmth come over him. Ginny’s eyes were locked on his. It seemed the most natural thing in the world to cover her lips with his in a gentle, soft kiss. Miracle of miracles – he found she was kissing him back.

Their staircase ride ended much too soon, and they found themselves on the landing to the third floor. Harry pulled back to look again into those shinning eyes. They were rich and deep, and full of tenderness. They were both breathing fast, like they had run up the stairs rather than been transported on their own flying carpet.

“Was that alright?” Harry asked her, suddenly realizing that he had never asked her permission to kiss her.

“No,” Ginny replied.

“I think you can do better.”

And she kissed him again.