Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The First Battle by nnnancy

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Six - Professor Trelawney


Madame Pomfrey dismissed Harry the next day, with Professor Lupin’s assurance that he would personally be responsible for seeing that Harry took his potion as prescribed, and return him twice a day for her examination. With her permission, he took Harry for a stroll out to the lake in the unseasonably warm December sunshine. The others had reluctantly gone out to the Quiddith pitch for a bit of flying, at Harry’s insistence “ they had a game against Ravenclaw as soon as the new term started, and Ron and Ginny hadn't had much practice time. He promised to come by later and watch, if Lupin would let him.

Harry was feeling much better than he expected. Although he was still stiff, the heavy, drugged feeling had left him. He found he couldn’t walk as far as he thought, though, so he and Professor Lupin took a seat on the dry grass near the sparkling lake.

There was another reason Harry had encouraged his friends to go flying. He wanted a private word with Professor Lupin. “Remus,” he asked, “have you heard anything more about who may have poisoned me?”

The professor sighed. “I was afraid you might ask me that, Harry. Yes, Dumbledore thinks he knows who did it. But Harry, he has asked me not to tell you just yet.”

Harry bristled. “Why not? I think I have a right to know who tried to kill me!”

“I agree with you, Harry, but I also trust Albus Dumbledore. There is a reason he needs to withhold this information from you, for the time being.”

“I know why,” fumed Harry. “He thinks I’ll go out and find whoever-it-is, and try to get even.”

Remus was silent for a moment. “Would you?” he asked quietly.

Harry looked away. “Probably. But not for me. For Ginny. I can’t stand the thought that someone like that could get close enough to her to do this. What if she gets hurt?” Harry turned to Lupin with unexpected tears in his eyes. “It’s not safe to be close to me, Remus. People get hurt when they get too close to me. It’s a wonder you’re still alive.”

Professor Lupin put a comforting arm around Harry’s shoulders. “Harry, listen to me. You have a destiny that none of us can understand. We can’t take it from you. But those of us that love you, love you. We can’t bear your burden for you, but we can bear it with you. Only you can defeat Lord Voldemort, none of us can. But we can die trying. And that is what we have vowed to do. Our lives are a small price to pay if by loving you, we can help you defeat the most evil wizard the world has ever known. Do you understand?”

Harry nodded. The tears in his heart spilled out of his eyes, and he put his head on Lupin’s shoulder. More and more Harry was learning what it meant to be really loved. And the power of it overwhelmed him; it seemed that his emotions were so close to the surface these days. It was more powerful than he could ever have imagined. Perhaps, with power like this being poured into him from those whom he loved, he could somehow use it to defeat Voldemort.

As Harry and Remus sat silently together looking out at the calm waters of the lake, they noticed what appeared to be a large, glittering bug walking towards them. It was Professor Trelawney, wrapped tightly into her shawl, coming up from the lakeshore. She had kept so much to herself since her humiliation at the hands of Delores Umbridge, it was a surprise to see her on the grounds.

“Hello, Sybil,” called Lupin in friendly greeting. “What have you been up to, then?”

Her misty voice came to them as if floating on a cloud. “Refreshing myself and clearing my mind with a walk around the lake.” She stopped beside them, slightly out of breath.

“Would you care to join us for a bit?” inquired Remus politely.

Professor Trelawney sat down on the grass next to them. “Thank you, I believe I shall rest for a short while. Harry, I learned this morning in my crystal that you would be greatly improved today.”

“Umm…” Harry and Remus exchanged a furtive glance. “Thanks, Professor Trelawney.”

She seemed about to speak, when suddenly she went rigid, falling back on the lawn, her eyes staring straight ahead, but unseeing.

“Sybil!” exclaimed Lupin, as he bent over her. “Sybil! Can you hear me?”

Professor Trelawney turned her head and gazed into Lupin’s eyes. A deep voice came from her chest. “Hello, Moony.”

Remus scrabbled backwards across the grass, his face white. Trelawney sat up, and turned to face Harry. He was staring at her, disbelieving. He had recognized that voice, just as Remus had.

“Harry, it’s me “ Sirius.”

Professor Lupin had recovered his senses, and moved to stand between Professor Trelawney and Harry. “Stop it! Whoever you are, you are not Sirius Black! Return Sybil Trelawney at once!”

The Professor got unsteadily to her feet, as did Harry behind Lupin. “I must say,” began the deep, familiar voice, “This body is awfully loose-jointed. Somebody should tell Sybil to start getting some exercise.”

Harry stepped from behind his protector. “Sirius? Is that really … you?” He hardly dared breath as he waited for a reply. He received one in the great, barking laughter that rang through the air.

“Appearances to the contrary, yes, Harry, Remus “ it’s me. It's good to see you both.”

Professor Lupin was still not convinced. “Tell me something only Sirius would know!” he demanded.

Trelawney put her hand to her chin. “Hmmm … something only I would know, eh? Alright. Remember the time we had all been in the Three Broomsticks and I finally got you to try something a little stronger than butterbeer? We had an enlightening discussion about birthmarks, as I recall. James showed us one he had on his knee shaped like a castle, and you dropped your drawers to show us the butterfly on your….”

“That’ll do, Padfoot!” Remus stepped closer to the well-loved voice in Trelawney’s body. He reached out a trembling hand and grasped the shoulder of his friend. “Sirius,” he whispered. “Sirius.” Trelawney placed her hands on Lupin’s shoulders.

“It’s alright, Moony. It’s really me. I’ve missed you.” He released Lupin and turned to face Harry. He held out his hand. “Harry, I’m not a phantom. I'm really here. I've been trying to find a way to get back to you. And I have a message for you from your parents.”

Harry’s legs gave out and he fell to his knees in the grass. His heart was pounding so hard in his chest he could hardly breathe. “Sirius,” he said shakily, “how are you doing this?”

“No idea,” he said. “I knew you were both together, and I needed to talk to you. Sybil presented me with that opportunity, though she seems to have no idea I’m here.” Trelawney sat down beside Harry and smiled. “Harry “ I can’t tell you how good it is to see you. Are you alright? You look pale.”

Harry looked into the eyes of Sybil Trelawney, and found his godfather looking back out at him. He wrapped his arms around Sirius and held on. “I can’t believe you’re really here,” he said, as fresh tears fell on Trelawney’s neck.

“Neither can I. I can't tell you how much I've missed you, Harry. I've been worried about you.” His godfather’s voice broke for a moment, then gathered strength. “Listen, you two, I don’t know how long I can stay. Tell me what’s been happening.”

Harry and Lupin spent several minutes bringing Sirius up to date on the events of the past few months. Anyone watching them would have wondered why they suddenly found Professor Trelawney so interesting, as they sat huddled together on the lawn.

“So Dumbledore thinks he knows who tried to poison Harry?” Trelawney’s eyes had widened in horror, then narrowed in fury when Lupin told him about the recent attempt on Harry’s life.

Remus glanced at Harry. “Yes, but he’s asked me not to tell Harry, Padfoot.”

Trelawney let out an exasperated sigh. “How long is Dumbledore going to treat Harry like a child!” he exploded. “Hasn’t Harry proven himself more than a match for any Death Eater? Hasn’t he fought off Dementors single-handedly? Hasn’t he taken on Voldemort himself?” Trelawney rose and began pacing. He turned to them both. “All right “ let’s go see Dumbledore right now! I’ll talk to him myself.”

Professor Trelawney started across the grounds toward the castle. Harry and Lupin scrambled up after him. “Sirius, wait!” Lupin called. “The headmaster’s not here.”

Trelawney stopped and swung around to face him. “What?" he said vehemently. “Someone’s trying to kill Harry, and Dumbledore just leaves? Brilliant! Doesn’t he realize he’s the only thing standing between Harry and Voldemort?”

Harry put a hand on Trelawney’s arm. “Sirus, it’s okay. I trust Dumbledore. And I know you do too, or you wouldn’t have chosen him as my new guardian. I know it’s hard, having nothing to do but wait for the next move, but we’ve got to listen to Dumbledore. He knows more about what’s going on than any of the rest of us put together.”

Sirius seemed to deflate. “Harry, you sound just like your mother. And Moony,” he added, giving his old friend a sideways glance.

“I think I have become more like my mother this year,” said Harry thoughtfully. “I think maybe I understand her better. And … my dad, too.”

Trelawney put an arm around Harry. “That’s good, Harry. I see the best of both of them in you.” Sirius staggered, and fell to the ground, taking Harry with him.

“Sirius!” cried out Lupin, as he knelt beside them. “What’s wrong? What’s happening?”

“I think my time in this body is nearly over,” he said, his deep voice weakening. “Harry … James and Lilly wanted me to tell you …to tell you, ‘keep fighting.’”

“Can they come back this way, Sirius? Through Professor Trelawney, like you did?”

Sirius looked at him sadly. “No, Harry. They are too long gone. I’m sorry.”

Harry blinked back tears. “Oh…. That’s alright, I understand. Sirius, I wanted to tell you … I’m sorry.”

“Sorry? Sorry for what? You’ve been everything I could have hoped for in a friend, Harry “ and in a son.”

Harry had to continue. “I’m sorry that you had to come to the Department of Mysteries that day. If I hadn’t rushed in, if I had been better at occlumency, you might not of … of…”

“Died? You can say it, Harry.” Trelawney smiled at him. “Harry, my death is not your fault.” He looked to Remus. “Or yours, Moony. It was my time to die, that’s all. If it hadn’t been Bellatrix, it would have been something else. Maybe I would have bored myself to death at Grimmauld Place.” He looked hard at Harry. “It was my time, Harry. Understand?”

Harry nodded, his eyes burning. “Sirius,” he managed. “Can you tell my parents … I love them?” Trelawney nodded, her breathing labored. “And “ I love you too, Snuffles.”

Sirius took a ragged breath. “Harry.” His voice was barely a whisper. “I love you.” He turned his eyes once more on Lupin. “Watch after him, Remus. I’ll … come back and haunt you if you don’t.”

Lupin’s eyes were wet. “I will, I promise. Will we see you again?”

“Don’t … know. I’ll …try …to …come….”

And he was gone.


Thank you for the encouraging reviews. The next chapter is ready to go....Let's find out what's in the mysterious parcel from the Dursleys.
-the author