Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Keepsake by WiCkEdWoRkInGs

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: Marvelous work, JKR. Simply marvelous work.



***



Keepsake

Of All Nights






Hermione squealed and began jumping up and down in the air, very unlike her.



“Shut up, Hermione,” Ron said, rubbing his temple. “You just might give us a stroke.”




Hermione slapped Ron on the shoulder. He scowled.




“It’s nice, right?” Wyatt asked, feeling a little embarrassed. “It’s decent for Ginny, wouldn’t you say?”




“It’s absolutely gorgeous!” Hermione exclaimed, barely containing herself. “She’ll be thrilled!”




Ron simply rolled his eyes.




It was late at night in the Burrow and everybody was sleeping except for Ron, Hermione and Wyatt, all of whom were in the kitchen. Wyatt made his nocturnal visit, heralding what he claimed to be “important news.” Ron was exasperated, having been disturbed by his sister’s boyfriend just as he was planning to go up to bed. Hermione, on the other hand, was pleased to see him. However, she was even more pleased to learn or, rather, see what the important news was.




Wyatt showed them a ring, yet just not any ring. From what he told them in the next few minutes after revealing his treasure, Hermione and Ron learned that it was crafted by goblins with fairy silver gold. Golden filigree curled around the band itself, almost like vines of ivy creeping along a surface. Eventually, the lace-like gold met together at a specific point: the diamond.




“It must be four karats, or even five!” Hermione screamed, admiring the marvelous rock. “Look at it, Ron!”




Ron yawned. “I’m looking, ‘Mione.”




Hermione slapped him on his shoulder again, this time causing Ron to give her a positively disdainful look. His face went red.




Wyatt flushed. “I’m not so sure…”




“She’ll love it!” Hermione commented decisively. “I can’t believe it! You’re proposing! You and Ginny are getting married!” Perhaps it was a trick of the light, but it appeared as though Hermione was crying. Ron sighed heavily.




“It’s not decided yet,” Wyatt reminded her. “I still have to go through with the whole proposal.”




“And maybe you didn’t know this,” Ron said drowsily, “but she is sleeping upstairs. She might be able to hear you.”




Hermione frowned. “Regardless, this is easily the best thing that’s ever happened to Ginny. You two are going to be so happy.”




Wyatt was purely red now. “Thank you, Hermione. What about you, Ron? You’re the brother. I want to know what you think.”




Ron unfolded his arms and set them on the kitchen counter upon which he was leaning. He shrugged, yet it was blatantly obvious that he had something to say. After a few seconds of silence, he finally spoke.




“I think that you’re good enough to Ginny,” Ron noted unabashedly. “She seems to love you and Merlin knows that I can’t tell her who to love or not. But the father of her baby, the father of your potential stepson is my best mate. I won’t lie to you; they were happy. They were happier than you could have imagined. Look at it! They were happy enough to have a son!”




“Ron!” Hermione cried out, this time shoving him. “You’re being unbelievably rude to Wyatt!”




“He should know this!” Ron retorted. “He should know this if he’s really dedicated to doing this!”




Hermione backed away, having no reply.




“Anyway,” Ron proceeded, ignoring the frightened look on Wyatt’s face, “if you’re going to propose to my sister, you have to understand that she might not be entirely over Harry. Hermione and I sure as hell aren’t.”




“But he’s gone,” Wyatt insisted quietly, worry splashed over his handsome features.




“Yeah, but his son isn’t, eh?”




Wyatt turned away while Hermione stared at Ron with utmost disgust.



***



“And make sure that you only feed him at the designated times,” Ginny directed, her voice forceful even on the phone. “Liam doesn’t eat anything mashed, so if you brought any baby food, it’s completely useless. Feed him the carrots I have in the fridge. And if you have any other questions, feel free to call me. Is he crying? Is my baby crying? Put him on the phone!”




Wyatt waited anxiously while Ginny made specific orders for the babysitters taking care of Liam, Ron and Hermione, for the third time during their dinner. Barely into their appetizers, Ginny spent more time on the phone talking than talking to the man in front of her. He nervously ran his fingers over the case in which the engagement ring was held in his coat pocket. The romantic evening he planned at the most expensive restaurant in London was quickly turning into the first telephone nursery hour ever. He loosened his tie, feeling the pressure rising in his chest.




Finally, Ginny placed her cell phone in her purse wearing a tired face. She reached out and grabbed a bacon-wrapped shrimp, popping it in her mouth.




“I’m sorry for ruining this evening,” Ginny apologized. “I don’t understand; we’ve gone out before to dinner and not once have I been on the phone for nearly an hour explaining the difference between strained peas and mashed peas.”




“We’ve always gone out with Liam, never by ourselves,” Wyatt reminded her. “I only thought that tonight, of all nights, we could go out by ourselves without having to worry about diapers or solid foods.”




Ginny stared at him quizzically. “Of all nights? Will you remind me the importance of tonight?”




Wyatt sighed, taking a great sip from his chardonnay. He gave Ginny an intent look, one of smoldering concern and worry.




“I…understand…”Wyatt started slowly, “that Liam is your life. He is your son. When we first started dating, I never dared to betray the relationship between you and your son. And…not once did I dream of replacing his father. Not once.




“However, I have to share my concerns. The boy’s father…Harry Potter, I have my doubts. I mean, he hasn’t been here for Liam and according to what you told me, he doesn’t even know about him.”




“What are you trying to get at?” Ginny folded her arms.




“I don’t want to pick a fight with you, Ginny. I love you, you must remember that. However, given the circumstances...”




“Circumstances?” She appeared ready to jump from her seat and leave him alone.




“You have a son!” Liam said, a little too loud. “His father is Harry Potter! And from what I understand, you loved him. You loved him very much. It is only natural that I assume that after his departure…that affection lingered. Am I correct?”




Ginny remained silent.




“What I am trying to say, Ginny, or perhaps ask…do you still love him?”




Ginny gave Wyatt an incredulous look, one of amazement and confusion. Then, before she knew it, she backed down, shrinking back into her chair. She clearly had something to say.




“Wyatt,” she whispered, choosing her words carefully. “I loved Harry very much. However, whatever ‘affection’ I had for him, whatever I felt dearly for him, all of that is gone now. There is only you. You and me. Harry…Harry left, and not once did he turn back. He lost me along the way.




“But I have to be honest with you. No matter how much I would like to sever all previous ties with Harry, it’s too impossible. I have a son with him, Wyatt, and I cannot deny that. And if that time ever comes…if Harry shows up again, wishing to see his son…I cannot deny that. But as of now, as of what we have, I love you, Wyatt, and nobody else."




Wyatt processed what Ginny told him, his fist clenched tightly around the ring case in his coat pocket.



***



Wyatt and Ginny returned home late that evening, around ten. As expected, Hermione came bounding down the stairs, Mrs. Weasley and a sluggish Ron following her. Mr. Weasley would be home soon to witness the celebration.




“Oh my!” Hermione shrieked, skipping several stairs and heading straight for the couple. She searched Ginny’s hand, finally seeing the engagement ring.




Hermione squealed in excitement, Mrs. Weasley squealed in delight. Even Ron could not repress a smile. Wyatt wrapped his arm around Ginny, his fiancé.




But Ginny found she could not squeal…nor smile.





A/N: Sorry for the long update. It's all explained in my bio. Does anyone have any suggestions for where this story should head? Don't take this as a sign of unpreparedness; I have it planned. But any tidbits or anything you would like to see that I could tweak into my story would be great. Feel free to suggest through reviews/email.