Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Defying Gravity by grangergurl

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I'm starting this new series from the Broadway Musical, Wicked (I know, Hailey goes Broadway), therefore lyrics go to Stephen Schwartz, may his genious never die.


Something has changed within me,
Something is not the same.
I’m through with playing by the rules of someone else’s game.
Too late for second guessing, to late to go back to sleep,
It’s time to trust my instincts close my eyes, and leap…



Severus Snape was in a foul mood. He felt…different. He felt tired of being teased, tired of his parents’ abuse, tired of being a puppet. He needed to break free. The problem was…how? He had never been a normal child. He was destined to follow the destiny that his father had previously followed and his father before him, and his father, and back and back and back. The only problem was this: Severus was the first Half-Blood in his family. He shook it off and bore it, though. Not anymore, he thought. He just had to find a way to become who, not his father, but he wanted to be.


So you can only imagine how ecstatic he was when he befriended Lucius Malfoy. True, it had taken him seven years in Hogwarts, but here he was, suddenly thrust in with the popular crowd. Bellatrix Black and her sister Narcissa, Rodolphus Lestrange, Lucius, and even (though he transferred to Durmstrang shortly after) Igor Karakoff. He felt…important. And then, wonders of wonders, he was offered a new degree of popularity - a Death Eater. At first, he didn’t understand the term, but he knew that he needed to follow his heart, and his heart screamed Yes! , so he agreed.


It’s time to try defying gravity,
I think I’ll try defying gravity, and you can’t pull me down!
I’m through accepting limits, ‘cause someone says they’re so.
Some things I cannot change, but ‘til I try, I’ll never know!

Too long, I’ve been afraid of losing love I guess I’ve lost.
Well if that’s love, it comes at much too high a cost,
I’d sooner buy defying gravity, kiss me goodbye, I’m defying gravity,
And you can’t pull me down!!


Severus snuck past his snoring dorm mates and joined Lucius in the main hall. “This better be worth it!” He whispered. “Trust me, it will be,” Lucius grinned maliciously, causing Severus to grin back. They met Bellatrix, Narcissa, Igor, and Rodolphus (with his brother Rabastan) and snuck out to find their destinies. For a brief moment, Severus wondered what his father would think. But then he realized that if he always did what his father would approve of, his life would be so limited. He was no longer afraid of losing his father’s love and pride. He would much sooner go his own way…and defy gravity.

After they had exited the boundaries of Hogwarts and come upon the Forbidden Forest, Lucius began leading. “Stay on the trail!” He whispered loudly. More limits? Severus thought with disdain. I’m through with them! If being a friend to Malfoy meant limits, it’s done. Severus snuck off the trail and followed their hushed voices. Oh, what a thrill! Knowing he was breaking rules made sweet adrenaline pulse through Severus’ veins, and he grinned as he hopped over logs and dodged low-hanging branches.

Suddenly, “Where’s Snape got off to?” Severus secretly smiled and hid behind a tree. “Let’s not go back, I’m excited!” Bella urged. Severus suddenly frowned. They were leaving him! This was not fun any more, so he worked his way back to the trail and caught up with them. “Where where you? We were worried,” Malfoy said. “I was tying my shoe, and you’re not my mother, so shut your face!” Severus replied. Malfoy shrugged, and they continued on.


The first one to see the fire in the distance was Narcissa. “Look!” She pointed to a spot far away. “It’s them! Oh, let’s run Lucius, please! Let’s do!” She batted her eyelashes, Lucius’ weakness, and they began to run. Severus, of course, hung back and wondered, but soon he was pulled into their excitement and ran into the exhilarating darkness. Soon they came upon a circle of people in midnight cloaks and masks from the grave. There was a man in the middle of them, a man that could have once been handsome, but now his eyes were reduced to red slits and his skin was pale as winter. His voice was high and toneless and an occasional cackle crept from his lifeless lips. Severus briefly felt afraid, but remembered his dream and marched forward with the others, head held high.

Voldemort turned to the newcomers and welcomed them by commanding the circle to move aside for them. One by one, he called them forward by name or appearance. “Young Master Malfoy, come here for a moment. I need to speak with you.” Lucius gulped, cast a fleeting glance in Severus’ and Narcissa’s direction, and stepped out of the circle, walking into the woods with Voldemort. About ten minutes later, Lucius came back, head held so high, Severus was surprised people didn’t mistake him for a giraffe. Narcissa was next. “The young woman, please. Not you, the blonde one. The beautiful one,” he said with a brief smile as Bella stepped forward. Then, “Now you, Ms…Black? Yes, Narcissa’s sister, the pretty one.” Bella marched forward and left with him. Rodolphus was next and than his brother Rabastan, and then finally Severus. “The quiet one,” he beckoned. Severus gulped and briskly walked up to him, attempting to look confident. Voldemort eyed him. Severus gasped as he felt Voldemort enter his mind. He was sifting around now. “Potions? I could use you. And now come, let us take a walk.” As Severus walked through the wall of people, he swore he saw pitying looks behind the masks. Voldemort stopped him in a deep place in the woods.


Unlimited, together we’re unlimited,
Together we’ll be the greatest team there’s ever been,
Dreams the way we planned ‘em,
If we work in tandem, there’s no fight we cannot win!

Just you and I defying gravity,
With you and I defying gravity,
They’ll never bring us down!


“Snape, I must say, I’m very choosey about who I allow in my Inner Circle, especially for Junior Death Eaters, but you have some talent. Talent that I could use. I need it. I need you. Are you willing to join? Think of what we could do together! We could rule the world! It’s impossible to lose with you by my side. Fight with me, Severus. Fight for what you believe in.”

Severus saw the gleam in his eyes and heard the determination in his voice. “Yes, I’m ready…My Lord.” Voldemort grinned. “Now, there’s a slight setback. Very slight.” With a cackle, Voldemort silenced him and immediately grabbed his arm. “This will only hurt a little!” And with that said, a searing pain flamed Severus’ arm, leaving an ashen scar. Voldemort un-silenced him, and without another word, swept away, leaving an anguished Snape to re-compose himself. Soon, he caught up with Voldemort and, straightening himself, walked proudly right into the Inner Circle.

So if you care to find me,
Look to the western sky!
As someone told me lately,
Everyone deserves a chance to fly!


It was the end of the year. “Where do I write you at?” Bella asked. “Your owl knows where I live, you prat. Just ask him.” Severus knew Bella was just using this as cover up, though. He’d see her tomorrow, and perhaps the day after that and the day after that. Whenever Voldemort called them, they would see each other.

As Severus came through the front door, his father greeted him with a rare smile. “So, you’re home. Now, what will you be doing? Where do you plan to work?” Terror struck Severus’ heart. He hadn’t thought up a story! “Um…I guess…Uh…Auror, yeah, Auror! Or become a teacher at Hogwarts! Head of Slytherin, even!” His father thought for a moment. “Well, that’s a bit ambitious, but you know, everyone deserves a chance to get his rightful dream come true. Everyone deserves a chance to fly. Good to have you home, son. You’re a good boy.”

And if I’m flying solo, at least I’m flying free,
To those who’d ground me, take a message back from me!
Tell them how I am defying gravity,
I’m flying high, defying gravity, and soon I’ll match them in renown.

And nobody, in all their flaws,
No Wizard that there is or was,
Is ever gonna bring me down!



“Severus, what’s happened to you? You’ve gotten so…mean! I mean, meaner than normal. You know what I mean?” Lily asked Severus in Diagon Alley when he had ignored her when she recognized him and said hello. Why did nobody understand him? “Gosh, everyone’s been looking for you. Come home! We’ve been waiting to hear from you forever. Your father misses you.“ Suddenly, Severus had an idea. “Evans, do me a favor. Tell my father…tell him…tell him I’m defying gravity.”