Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Serpent's Eye by Marauder9744

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thank you all for reading! I hope everyone is enjoying the story so far. If you’re at all upset about the length of the chapters “ don’t worry. I’ve written 17 chapters as of now and they’re all roughly 3500-4000 words a piece. Finally, a special thanks to my beta, LucyLupin… you’re awesome! Thanks again, to everyone, and I hope you enjoy!

Chapter 2 - Harry learns why he hasn't received any letters, he also learns something he would have never expected.


Harry stood at the bottom of the staircase, staring at Ginny, her long scarlet hair blowing slightly from the wind coming through the open front door. The momentary silence shook Uncle Vernon from his reverie as he moved behind Ginny and shut the door with a snap.

“Why in the hell are you lot standing in my house in the dead of night?” Vernon demanded, glaring at Mr. Weasley.

“We are here because Harry hasn’t returned any of our letters,” replied Ginny, rounding on Uncle Vernon, “and do not speak that way in front of my mother!”

“Ginny, calm down,” said Mr. Weasley quietly, steering his youngest child away from Uncle Vernon. “Please, Mr. Dursley, we don’t mean to intrude but everyone has been so worried. No one has been able to contact Harry for the past two weeks.”

“Mr. Weasley… I have been writing to you, to everyone, and I haven’t received any letters in return,” Harry said uncertainly, moving closer to where the Weasleys and his uncle were standing.

“But --” However, before Mr. Weasley could get out what he had to say, Harry saw Ron and Ginny striding into the living room and moving towards a small box that was resting on the sofa in clear view, pieces of parchment sticking out of every end.

“What the bloody hell is this?” yelled Ron, opening the box and pulling out a handful of parchment, which Harry could clearly see had his writing on the front.

“These are our letters, you.…” cried Ginny as she drew her wand and pointed it squarely at Uncle Vernon’s chest.

“Ginny!” yelled Mrs. Weasley, moving forward swiftly to stand in between her daughter and Uncle Vernon.

“You have a lot of explaining to do, Mr. Dursley,” said Mr. Weasley, as menacingly as Harry had ever heard.

“Look, I had to, I had to protect my family, just as you would have done,” Uncle Vernon retorted defensively, moving away from Mr. Weasley. “He said if I didn’t, then Petunia and Dudley would be in danger."

“Who?” asked Mr. Weasley.

Uncle Vernon did not answer.

“Who?” said Harry, angrily, moving forward.

“Do not speak to me like that, boy!” yelled Vernon, his face growing purple.

“I said, WHO?” cried Harry, now drawing his own wand. “If someone is threatening you, it’s because of me. We all might be in danger here. You need to tell me what happened. Now!”

“You are in no danger, boy,” said Uncle Vernon, waving his hand. “All we were asked to do was to steal all of the letters that your bloody bird brought you or carried off and to write on a stupid piece of paper that Harry Potter resides here.”

Harry turned towards Mr. Weasley, horror struck, as a jet of green light ripped through the living room window and connected with the grandfather clock in the corner of the room, reducing it to splinters. Another beam crashed through the house, this time through the front door, and hit the front of the staircase, which erupted into flames. Harry instinctively grabbed Ginny and covered her with his body while Ron rushed to his side and dived on top of both of them. Two more jets of light burst through the front window, hitting the wall on the opposite side and blowing two massive holes into it. Then, with no warning, the flashes of light from the street stopped and the six occupants of the living room lay on the carpet in stunned silence.

“Do you suppose it’s over?” asked Ron, poking his head up from his position covering Harry.

“Ron, get down!” cried Mr. Weasley but there was still no sign of movement from outside, nor was there any noise. Mr. Weasley stood up from his position covering both Mrs. Weasley and Uncle Vernon, and moved cautiously towards the front door.

“Dad, be careful!” cried Ginny from somewhere under Harry.

Mr. Weasley reached the shattered front door and peered out. Harry could hear voices now, and movement from the front porch but he did not dare move.

“Arthur,” said a familiar voice “is Harry all right?”

“He’s fine, Kingsley,” replied Mr. Weasley, relaxing his posture as Kingsley Shacklebolt, Tonks, Charlie and Bill Weasley entered the Dursleys’ front hall. “What happened?”

“From what we can tell, it was a small band of Death Eaters, three or four of them at the most, who Apparated directly in front of the house, fired four Killing Curses through the window and door and then Disapparated before we could engage them,” replied Kingsley, shrugging slightly.

“Oh, Ginny… Harry!” cried Mrs. Weasley, hurrying towards them both. “You, you saved her, dear, sweet boy.” Mrs. Weasley reached Harry and Ginny and engulfed them both in a massive hug.

“Oh, yes, I’m fine too, Mum, thanks,” said Ron sarcastically, standing up, dusting himself off and receiving a reproachful look from his mother.

“Thanks, mate,” said Harry, as he wiggled his way out of Mrs. Weasley’s grasp. Ron gave him a ‘don’t mention it’ shrug and continued dusting the soot and debris off his robes. Harry knew that Ron would die for him and while Harry hated to think about that, he was grateful all the same. Tonks and Kingsley said their goodbyes and walked back out of the house and Disapparated. Harry turned his attention back towards Ginny, who was fighting off her mother as she tried to stand up. Harry caught her gaze and she smiled at him. His heart leapt… maybe she doesn’t hate me, he thought. Harry dwelled on this thought a moment until he heard shouting coming from the kitchen, where Mr. Weasley, Bill, Charlie and Uncle Vernon had gone.

“HE HAS ENDANGERED MY FAMILY LONG ENOUGH!” Uncle Vernon bellowed, as Harry pushed the kitchen door open. Uncle Vernon was brandishing the blender and waving it threateningly at Mr. Weasley.

“Please, Mr. Dursley…” tried Mr. Weasley, but it was Aunt Petunia who spoke up.

“Vernon’s right, I think we’ve had just about enough of Lily and James Potter’s mistake.”

Harry stood in the open doorway, his mouth open, staring at his aunt. Mistake?

“You absolute horse!” cried Ginny, pushing roughly past Harry.

Densaugeo!” And just as Hermione’s teeth had done almost three years ago, Aunt Petunia’s front teeth began to rapidly enlarge. Harry was forced to stifle a laugh, as Uncle Vernon dropped the blender and rushed forward to help his wife whose face now very much resembled a chipmunk.

“Ginevra Weasley!” yelled Mrs. Weasley, rushing into the kitchen, followed closely by Ron, who was grinning from ear to ear.

“That was bloody brilliant,” said Ron, fighting back laughter; his smirk was quickly wiped off his face by the look he received from his mother.

“I cannot believe you, you’re going to be in so much trouble. Underage magic, Ginevra!”

“Not necessarily, Molly,” countered Mr. Weasley slowly. “We just have to act quickly. The only thing that the Ministry can detect is that magic was done inside this house. With enough luck, I can smooth it over so that it looks like one of us cast that spell. Let me send a quick owl to the Ministry.” He swept from the room quickly.

“Yeah, and I’ll make sure they don’t talk, either,” said Bill menacingly, as he moved closer to the Dursleys. His expression, matched with the scars on his face, made him a rather frightening figure. Aunt Petunia tried to make a noise of protest but failed, seeing as her two front teeth had now reached her collarbone.

“Bill,” warned his mother sternly, and with that Bill stepped away from the Dursleys, smiling.

“Gotcha,” he said, grinning, while Vernon backed further away from him, as if he was poisonous.

“Thank you, and Bill, will you please reverse that spell, her teeth will hit the floor before long,” finished Mrs. Weasley, but she did not look too upset about Aunt Petunia’s predicament. Bill complied and quickly muttered the countercurse. Mr. Weasley re-entered the kitchen and gave his wife a small nod.

“Good… and, young lady, no more magic,” said Mrs. Weasley firmly. Ginny raised no argument.

“What about me, Mr. Weasley? Is it still safe for me, or anyone, here?” asked Harry.

“Can he come back with us, Dad?” asked Ron, quickly. Harry noticed Ginny put her head down slightly and move behind her mother. Maybe she does hate me.

“Well… Dumbledore didn’t want him to leave Privet Drive, but it’s clear that he’s no safer here than he would be at the Burrow, and the wedding is in a week, so I suppose it should be all right.”

Ron looked ready to respond but as he looked towards Ginny, who was now glowering at him, he fell silent.

“What’s wrong?” asked Harry, staring between brother and sister.

“Nothing,” replied Ginny quickly and she swept out of the kitchen. No one said anything nor looked towards Harry.

“Come on, mate, I’ll help you get your stuff ready,” said Ron, putting an arm around Harry’s shoulder as they walked out of the kitchen and up the stairs together.

“What was that about?” Harry asked, once they reached his bedroom. Ron’s ears reddened quickly.

“Nothing, didn’t you hear Ginny?” replied Ron, trying to deflect the question. “Is this all of your stuff?”

“I’m not packing until you tell me what that was back there,” replied Harry smiling. “It can’t be that bad.” Ron was silent for a moment or so, as he bent over Harry’s trunk and threw a few robes into it.

“Well, don’t tell Ginny I told you, she didn’t want to hurt you, but… well… you broke up with her in the first place, right?” Harry nodded slowly, not catching on. “Well, she, um… well… found someone else.”

“What!” cried Harry.

“Shh, quiet down, she’ll hex me if she hears I told you,” replied Ron, covering Harry’s mouth with his hand.

“Who?” Harry asked, slightly less loudly.

“You think she’d tell me, Harry?” he said smiling. “She’s been writing to Hermione ever since they started going out though,” Ron added. Harry sat down on the edge of his bed. Well, he thought, she’s nearly a grown women and she can date whomever she wants… why did I break up with her again?

“Come on, mate,” said Ron consolingly. “I bet he’s a real git though,” he added with a smile. Harry and Ron packed the rest of Harry’s things in uncomfortable silence, until he was sure he had everything. They carried the trunk together, with Hedwig’s cage on top, down the stairs and set it in the living room, where the rest of the Weasleys were waiting. Ginny didn’t look up at Harry once he and Ron had returned.

“Everyone ready?” asked Mr. Weasley enthusiastically, as he motioned towards the door.

“Wait a second, Mr. Weasley, I have to do something first,” Harry said, walking into the kitchen where Uncle Vernon, a normal-toothed Aunt Petunia, and Dudley sat.

“What do you want?” said Vernon scathingly.

“I just wanted… wanted to… well, I wanted to say goodbye. Bye,” Harry replied and he turned to leave.

“Wait.”

Harry looked up and saw Mr. Weasley standing in the doorway.

“Say goodbye to him,” said Mr. Weasley, simply. Uncle Vernon glanced sideways at his wife with a look of utter disgust. It was quite clear that he would rather hang himself than say goodbye to Harry.

“Please, Mr. Weasley, it’s really all right,” Harry pleaded, however, Mr. Weasley held his hand up and stared expectantly at Uncle Vernon.

“Well… goodbye then,” Vernon said difficulty, the vein on his forehead becoming more noticeable by the second.

“Thanks,” replied Harry, and with that he strode confidently out of the Dursley’s kitchen for, hopefully, the last time in his life.