Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Ron's New Life by rupertgrintlover13

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Sorry that it took me so long to update. I finally got word back on my computer so the updates will be rolling in now :)
Over the next few weeks Ron and Eva spent even more time together, but gradually Eva began to look thin, peaky, and pale. Mrs. Weasley made her eat even more but her weight was still dropping. She blamed it on the weather since winter was approaching. Ron figured that she just didn’t like the cold.

Eva’s health still couldn’t keep the two friends apart. In fact, they were probably together even more than normal. She began to stay the night in Ginny’s room just to avoid the trouble of going home and coming back the next day. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley had accepted her as one of the family. Ginny became very close to Eva as well and soon the two of them would walk around giggling like old friends despite Eva’s fragile condition. They began to remind Ron of the days when Hermione used to come over. Despite Eva’s weight, life had never been better at the Burrow.

They spent their days sitting by the pond talking or going flying on the new Firebolts. Ron even taught her how to de-gnome the garden. Eva thought the gnomes were cute, and had a hard time throwing them because of her weakness. She laughed when they ran away, hiding, only to sneak back in later. Their fun was cut short, however, when Eva got suddenly tired and wanted to go inside.

One day close to the end of November, Eva took sick. She sat in bed all day coughing. Ron surprised her by bringing her chicken noodle soup in bed. They spent the entire day in Ginny’s room sitting and telling each other stories.

The next day, however, Eva’s cough had gotten worse and Mrs. Weasley was allowing no one into the room. Even Ginny had to move into Percy’s old room for a little while much to her displeasure. She complained, saying it smelled too much like parchment and ink. Mrs. Weasley then threatened to put her in Fred and George’s room so she could smell gunpowder instead. Ginny never complained about Percy’s room after that.

After about a week, Ron really began to worry. He looked through the door and Eva was asleep. She looked small and pale, almost like a sleeping china doll. Her hair looked thin and stringy and her hands, cold and clammy. His first impulse was to rush in and hold her tight to his chest and never let go. At that moment, however, his mother came up the stairs with a tray of food, so he had no choice but to keep going up to his room.

According to his mother, Eva hadn’t spoken in days except for a feeble ‘thanks’ whenever food was delivered. Ron felt his heart break for his beautiful friend. He had never known her to have nothing to say, even when she wasn’t feeling well. He realized he hadn’t known her for very long, but she was hardly what one would call a quiet person.

“How long will it be until she is better?” he asked his mother, wringing his hands in despair. He hadn’t known what to do with himself lately. Harry was at Hogwarts teaching and Ginny was his sister and not very good friendly company for him. Sure, he got along with her well enough, but there is only so much that you can talk about with your baby sister.

“I don’t know, Dear. I just don’t know…” was the only answer he ever received.

That night, Ron sneaked into Ginny’s room and sat on the edge of Eva’s bed. He shook her awake. She smiled at him and tried to say something. “Shhh…don’t say anything.” He put a finger to her lips, scooping her out of the bed. He quietly carried her down to the pond where he set her by the water and covered her with a blanket. She looked at him, tears forming on her eyelashes. He handed her a sunflower. “How are you feeling?” he asked softly.

“Much better….now,” she said in a weak voice. He helped her to her feet.

“May I have this dance?” He held out his hand.

“But Ron, there is no music…”

The struggle to find her voice impacted him. He was not used to hearing her so raspy and weak. He pulled her close to him and put her hand on his shoulder. He grasped her waist and whispered, “Just listen to the beat of your heart and dance to that.” She started to sway with him and soon he felt her put all of her weight on him.

“Are you ready to go back?” She nodded and put her head on his shoulder. He scooped her up and carried her up the stairs and laid her in bed.

“Goodnight…” he whispered and kissed her lightly on the forehead.

***

After another few days, Eva was moved to St. Mungo’s Hospital for Maladies and Injuries. That day was the worst day ever for Ron because he was not permitted to go with his parents to the hospital. He sat the entire day with his hands folded on the table in front of him, not daring to move. Ginny was worried about her brother but she was even more worried about Eva.

“You could go to the hospital, you know,” she told Ron. “You’re of age. No matter what Mum says you could still go.”

Ron nodded in acknowledgement of what she had said, but stayed seated. “I’m not sure if I really want to be there. That would mean seeing Eva weak more than I have to and I’m not sure how long I can take that…” Ginny put her hand on his shoulder and walked out of the room. She cleaned for the rest of the day, which was a sure sign that she was nervous, drifting off to bed before the sun had even set.

Soon, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley’s hands on the clock switched to ‘traveling’ and shuddered to a halt on ‘home’. He heard the back door open and slowly turned his head. His parents came in the door and stopped when they saw him sitting there.

His mother gave him a feeble smile. “You may go and visit her tomorrow if you like,” she said softly. “She settled in fine. They don’t know how long she’ll have to”to stay there.”

Ron nodded. “I’ll go up tomorrow, then.” He headed for the stairs, rubbing his hand over the back of his head rumpling his hair. “Goodnight.”

Ron went very slowly up the stairs. They creaked under his feet as he let his weight rest upon each one in turn. There was something his parents were keeping from him. It made him worried because his mother hadn’t hid anything from him since the Order of the Phoenix. Ron stopped when he reached Ginny’s room. She was asleep on her bed. The bed that had been Eva’s looked abandoned and forgotten. It was made and tidy, but looked strangely empty when compared to Ginny’s. Ginny’s red hair swirled around her head and contrasted with her white pillow. Ron hated how the room felt with Eva.

Ron finally made it up to his room and headed straight for the window. He looked out over the yard. The pond where he and Eva had had so many conversations glittered in the moonlight. He blinked back tears as he remembered the resent times when Eva had been too sick to talk to him. She was his best friend and he needed her, but now she was in the hospital and he didn’t know why. He had never seen anyone with this bad of a cold.

“I wonder if Eva is looking at the same moon…” he mumbled to himself. The broom shed stood alone in the distance. No one had yet noticed the Firebolts among the other brooms. Ron chuckled to himself at the thought.

He leaned back from the window. Pig started squawking so he threw some treats into his cage. Ron yawned and settled in on his bed. It was so old that it groaned under his weight. His Chudley Cannons poster waved from the wall. He rolled over and tried to ignore it. As he closed his eyes he ended the worst day he had ever had.
Chapter Endnotes: Please read and review. I'll be on A LOT more now that I can finally write again!!