Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

It's Not a Love Potion by Skipper424

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: This one-shot was originally written for a Hufflepuff House Valentine's Day Challenge. Specifically, it was written for the “Surprise Date” prompt, in which two canon characters had to end up together because their friends/dates left without them. I picked the pairing I did intentionally because it goes against the popular grain just a bit. To me, you can’t get much more of a surprise date than this one.

As always, I want to thank joybelle423 for beta-reading. She does a truly outstanding job!

It’s Not a Love Potion
A one-shot by Skipper424

Severus Snape seemingly flew to the Entrance Hall, hoping to catch Nott. He had declined Nott’s invitation to go into Hogsmeade on the grounds that he had some work to finish for Potions. Closer inspection of his Potions kit, however, revealed that he was short several key ingredients. He had no intentions on going into the village but thought maybe he could catch his friend and persuade him to procure the items he was missing.

As he arrived in the Entrance Hall, clutching his sides and trying to catch his breath, he was disappointed to find only Lily Evans standing there looking disheartened. She heard him trouncing up the hall and looked over at him. A tiny smile formed on her face and she raised one hand timidly to wave at him.

There was a look of absolute disgust on Snape’s face. He made his way to the front doors and pulled the one on the right open. He looked out across the lawn towards the gate, but saw no sign of his Slytherin classmates. His eyes swept the snowy landscape one more time before he huffed and closed the door forcefully.

“Miss your date, Severus?” he heard a soft voice ask from behind him.

“My date?” he sneered, turning around and seeing Lily standing just a few away.

“It’s Valentine’s Day. Everyone goes to Hogsmeade with someone special today,” she explained as a warm smile grew on her face. Snape could not determine if her expression was genuinely friendly or teasing. “So, who is that for you? Did you miss her? Do I know her?”

Snape eyes narrowed and his face became nearly as red one of the Gryffindor banners hanging high up in the rafters. “I am not here for any date.”

“Oh,” Lily responded. “What is it then? You’re in an awfully big hurry.”

“If you must know, I’ve run low on several items in my Potions kit. I meant to catch one of my housemates and have him acquire what I need to finish my Potions project from Hogsmeade.”

“Potion? Is it a Love Potion?”

“A new poison, in fact, would you like to try some?”

Lily chortled, “I can see why they have so much fun with you.”

“Are you referring to Potter, Black, Lupin, and Pettigrew? So, which one of them is it that you were here for? It seems your luck is no better than mine.”

“Does it matter? Not one of them is here now, are they?”

“No,” Severus answered. In his mind, he felt no further desire to stay and continue this conversation. But something else inside him refused to allow him to leave. “Fear not, I’m sure they’re providing anyone unfortunate enough to be present at the Three Broomsticks with their usual brand of mindless entertainment.”

Lily couldn’t help but chuckle. “I’ll bet you’re right. Either that or off doing who knows what ….”

“What exactly is it that you see in them?” Severus asked, not believing he heard the words come out of his own mouth. “Particularly Potter ….”

Lily shrugged. “James? I don’t know. He’s cute, funny.”

Snape rolled his eyes, turned his back, and glided off down the hall back towards the Slytherin common room. Lily hurried after him, caught up with him, and walked along side of him, stride for stride.

“What is it now, Evans?”

“You know, if you just tried being a little bit nicer, people might like you more.”

Snape froze in his tracks and glared at her. “People like you? I’ll pass,” he scoffed. He turned and began walking again.

“Oh please,” Lily said, resuming tagging alongside him. “I’ve seen the way you look at certain girls, the way you look at m-”

“Don’t finish that sentence, Evans,” he commanded. “You don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Really,” she smiled. “Look me in the eyes and tell me you don’t like me … at least a little bit.”

Snape stopped on the spot and looked her in the eyes with the iciest gaze he could muster. However, not by any conscious doing of his own, his eyes averted from a direct stare just as the words spilled out. “I don’t like you ….”

“Ah ha!” she exclaimed triumphantly.

“Leave me alone,” Snape growled. “Just stay away from me, Evans!”





Snape was seated at the Slytherin table all alone. There were only a handful of students in the Great Hall for lunch. He heard a ruckus near the entryway. He looked and saw Lily Evans walking down the main aisle between the house tables alone. He quickly returned his eyes to his plate and resumed eating, pretending he hadn’t noticed her. This tactic was not successful.

Snape’s veins filled up with an icy sensation as he felt a disturbance next to him. He thought he smelled something lovely, like spring. He knew this smell. It was the subtle aroma of perfume. Sure enough, Lily had chosen to sit right next to him. This was a bold move indeed, despite the emptiness of the hall: a Gryffindor Lion sitting at the Slytherin table?

“Finish your Love Potion?” she asked, helping herself to some pumpkin juice.

“First of all, it's not a Love Potion. Second, what do you think Potter will say if he finds out that you not only sat at this table for lunch, but that you sat here next to me?”

“Seeing as how he stood me up, I’m not sure I care what he would have to say about it just now.”

“Why do you insist on pestering me?” Snape asked.

Lily’s eyes widened a little as she shrugged, “I’m curious.”

“Curious about me? Why?”

“I don’t know. Do I have to have a reason to be curious about you?”

“Oh, how disheartening! I’m not cute and funny like Potter?” Snape hissed sarcastically.

Lily almost spit out the mouthful of pumpkin juice she had just taken in from laughter. She recovered, swallowed it, and looked at him. “I think you’re cute, in your own way.”

Snape look disgusted. “Still one-upped by Potter, though, I suppose.”

“Why do you compare yourself to him?” She looked puzzled. “You’re nothing like he is. You could certainly make the argument that that's a good thing.”

For the first time, Snape felt something warm inside him, and knew that Evans had put it there. “What do you mean?”

“I mean you’re brilliant, for one. I’ve seen you do things in Potions that amaze me, and I consider myself to be pretty good in that subject.” Snape raised an eyebrow at her. “You know more about the Dark Arts than anyone; you’re always one of the best at it. I suppose that could either be really good, or really scary. But I’d give you the benefit of the doubt for starters. You have a lot going for you.”

Snape could not believe he was even considering doing what he was about to do. He stood up, having finished eating and looked down at Lily who was still seated.

“I need to go into Hogsmeade to get the remaining supplies I need for my Potions project. Would you care to join me?” Snape winced as the words left his mouth. “You might find the potion I am working on interesting. We could have a drink at the Hog’s Head and discuss it. I won’t set foot in the other place, especially if those four might be there.”

Lily was caught off guard by this invitation. But she smiled and replied, “I’d love to, Severus.”

“And, if we encounter Potter along the way?”

“Like I already told you, he had his chance. If he’d rather prance around with the three other jesters than spend today with me, I suppose I’d rather have a drink with you at the Hog’s Head.”

“I’ll meet you in the Entrance Hall in fifteen minutes.”

“Perfect,” Lily said brightly.