Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Christmas Letters by helgaandgodric

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks to Winged Artemis for betaing this on short notice!
December 12, 2003
Dear Miss Granger,

I would like to start off by saying that it has been five years since I last saw you . When we knew each other previously, we didn’t exactly get along.

This time, I would like to start with a clean state, and start a new relationship with you. By relationship, I mean as two people relate to one another. A friendship, I suppose, is what I would like with you. After all, you are a brilliant and successful young witch, as I am a brilliant and successful young wizard. I believe that we could have interesting discussions about business, current events, books, as well as life. I understand that this is very to the point, but I felt that I must write this letter before I regret it.

Second of all, as I said, I wish to be friends with you, and if you knew my name, you would probably not want to be friends with me. For this reason, I would like to sign this letter (and hopefully more) as S. P. and be referred to throughout your letters (if you wish to converse still, of course) as S. P. Make what you will of that, all I will tell you is that is how I wish to be known.

And now, it brings me to my third point. I hope you will reply to this letter, and keep sending me letters, at least until you come to a conclusion as to whether or not you would like to be friends. That being said, I understand that you probably will not want to be pen friends (if you wish to) with someone you only know as S. P. But, being the brilliant witch that you are, you can probably figure out who I am.

My fourth and final item to tell you is that I honestly and truly wish to be friends. Seeing you today made me realise that how much I missed throughout Hogwarts. And so, I give you an offering of peace and the promise that if I ever pass you in the street before you wish to meet (if you do wish to, of course) I will not curse, hex, or insult you in any way.

Craving forgiveness and friendship,
S. P.

December 14, 2003
Dear S. P.,

As you can obviously tell, I have decided to respond. After careful discussion with three of my friends, I have finally decided to be your pen friend.

You have obviously insulted me deeply, or at least, you feel that you have, and you wish to be forgiven. You also are eager to point out that we knew one another at school, and we weren’t the best of friends, to say the least. Now it seems that you wish to be friends, but you understand that I may be hesitant given our previous relationship.

I would like to start by saying that “Miss Granger” is too formal if we are to be pen friends; “Hermione” will do. Next, I would like to mention that it is impossible for you to have seen me in Muggle London recently as only this morning did I arrive home from a visit to Bulgaria. You must have seen my cousin, who is nine years younger than I am, and a third year at Hogwarts. She is home for Christmas break, and has friends who live in London.

Now, if you do not mind, I will address some aspects of your letter. You say that I am a “brilliant and successful young witch”, which I appreciate. But you follow that with calling yourself “brilliant and successful,” with no hint of modesty! That leads me to believe that you are conceited, and your attitude throughout the rest of the letter somewhat confirms that (or something).

Second of all, what you are referred to as seems very important. This leads me to believe that blood status and status in “Society” are very important to you. Although I can not decide whether you are a pure-blood who respects me or a muggle-born who admires me.

If it wasn’t for the fact that you seem so sincere in your final paragraph about wanting to be friends, I would assume that you who was an old enemy of mine. Actually, that paragraph helps prove my points. I do appreciate the promise not to injure me in any way, physically or mentally, but it would seem that we did not get along well in school. Actually, you say that yourself, and so I am inclined to agree.

But if we are to be pen friends then I have no right to go insulting you. So, if you can prove to me that you really have changed before disclosing your identity, I will forgive you. For now, please put up with my questions aimed to get to know you better.

1. What was your favorite class in school?

2. What is your favorite book?

3. What are your feelings towards the House Elf Rights Act being petitioned in France?

4. And finally, if you were Minister, what would you change about our current government?

With all due curiosity,
Hermione

December 15, 2003
Dear Hermione,

Oh my. I’ll admit I knew that you were headstrong, but I did not expect you to thoroughly dissect my letter. However, that it is expected when one receives a letter from an old classmate, and one who will not give out their true identity at that! Nevertheless, I will answer your questions first, and then ask you to answer your own questions as well as a few of mine.

1. Contrary to popular belief, my favorite class in school was Transfiguration. I always wanted to become an Animagus, and I am still looking into that now.

2. My favorite book is easily One Hundred Ways to Fry an Egg And Other Cooking Tidbits by Pansy Parkinson. I never did like her, but she her writing skills are much better than her personality.

3. I believe that the House Elf Rights Act is a very well worded document. It allows the elves to still be enslaved and work, which they love to do, but prohibits their owner from abusing them in any way. Personally, I could not function without House Elves. In fact, I bought the book previously mentioned when news of the act first came out, and there were rumors of all House Elves being set free.

4. Personally, I would change nothing in terms of politics. It would only cause for political unrest in our beloved England, and divide the Wizarding population in two. As you are well aware, we only just set up the new Ministry, and to change it now, so soon after its creation, would most likely cause another War.

And now I would like to ask you a few questions of my own. First, how do you feel towards pure-bloods? Second, were your school years enjoyable? Finally, why were you in Bulgaria?

I also apologize for mistaking your cousin for you. My town house borders both Muggle and Wizarding London, with the door, obviously opening into Diagon Alley. When I saw “you” I was looking down into the street on which the Leaky Cauldron is on. An associate of mine was with me, and she was the one who noticed you first. I’ll be sure to tell my associate to get glasses.

However, I must admit that I am beyond ecstatic that you have agreed to converse with me. It really means a lot.

S. P.