Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Me, Myself, and Viktor Krum? by LUV2READ

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: The character from Hermione's arithmancy class is an original character. I made him up for the purpose of the story.

Other than that, all the characters are J.K.Rowling's. I'm borrowing them
I sighed in frustration. Ron was never going to figure it out. Yet again, we had been discussing dates to the Yule Ball. Still, Ron and Harry did not have dates. Yet again, I casually brought it up so I could hint at Ron that I'm interested. Yet again, Ronald Weasley was oblivious. Is the boy thick or something?

I am a female, not very attractive, I’ll admit that, but very available and we know each other so we wouldn't be uncomfortable about "what to do" and "should I kiss him?" moments. I absolutely abhor those silences, when nothing seems to be said or can be said. You end up just looking at each other or wondering if anything is going to happen or if you should just leave. Honestly, can the boy get any more frustrating? Even Harry hasn’t given me a second glance. Sometimes I think I should conjure letters to float around my head in an endless circle, flashing in bright neon green: “Available Teenaged GIRL”. Maybe they would get the message then?

Okay, I guess I have been a little silly myself. Earlier today, a guy from my Aritmancy class asked me to the Yule Ball. This being before my conversation with the thick-skulled Ron Weasley, I turned him down, as gently as I possibly can. He is quite smart and we could actually have something to discuss but, again, at the time, I was expecting Ron to ask me. Now, I know better.

Rather loudly than I had anticipated, I dropped my books at my favorite table in the corner of the library. Immediately Madam Pince swooped down on me,

"Quiet! SHHHH!"

"Sorry!" I replied, in a whisper.

Madam Pince is rather trying at times, especially when you accidentally drop your books in the library but she has her rules, and I try to respect them. Honestly, I think she is a bit of an old maid and rather dread becoming like here. I think her only true love is books and that is why she takes such good care of them. I love books too, but not to the point where I am obsessive.

Just as Madam Pince was about to open up into a lecture, a loud, giggling group of girls rushed into the library and Madam Pince hurried off to reprimand them. I glanced towards the noise to observe the cause of the giggling and to my unhappy discovery, Viktor Krum, the famed Bulgarian Quidditch player, had once again entered the library. Scowling at the girls behind him, he made his way to a seat across the room from me where he sat down, pulled a book out of his bag and proceeded to hide behind it. Every time I entered the library, Viktor Krum and his fan club would appear. Honestly, didn’t the man have any decency or thought as to a girl’s need to study?

Snorting in disgust, I tried to read my book. The girls were sent from the library, running from Madam Pince's shrieked warnings. As quickly as it had left, peace returned to the library.

Now that quiet had resumed, I began to read my book. It was called, The History and Purpose of the Tri-Wizard Tournament Society. I was trying to read up on as much information regarding the Tournament as I possibly could. Harry was going to need all the help he could get, and I supposed I was the only one eligible to give it, seeing as I am the Gryffindor Walking Encyclopedia. Ha! Sometimes, I make myself laugh.

Suddenly, I felt a chill, the kind you get when someone is watching you. Startled, I looked up and glanced around. When my eyes settled on Krum's figure, it seemed to me that his eyes darted back to his book quickly. It may have been a trick of the light and I sincerely hope so. The last thing I need is a Durmstrang student stalking me. I returned to my book, puzzled. Yet again, I felt as though someone was watching me but this time, I just looked behind me before continuing to read. The next time I looked up was when a shadow loomed over my book.

I glanced northward. Viktor Krum, in all his uniformed glory, was standing in front of me.

Speaking of his uniform, it was impeccable. Polished black boots, a short bright red felt cape with a fur trim. Brown pants, tucked into the boots, met the burgundy shirt at a simple black belt. He had a bag over one shoulder and it looked heavy, as though it were filled with books and weighing him down.

"Ms. Granger? Hermy-own?" He asked cautiously, as though he weren't sure it were me.

"Yes, that’s me." I replied, with a question on my face.

Seemingly relieved, he dropped his book bag and gave a short bow as in introduction. "Hermy-own, I vould like to ask you...the Yule Ball?"

"Yes..." I encouraged, looking into his eyes.

"Vould you like to...to..." Krum coughed. "to...go vith me?"

"I, well, I…" Oh my gosh, I thought, what was I going to do? I mean, any girl would kill to be attending the Yule Ball with Viktor Krum but I'm stalling? This can’t be right. I must be dreaming.

"The Yule Ball? As in the one coming up? I’m...” I stammered.

"You already have...partner?" He interrupted quietly, looking down in dejection.

"No! No, not yet...I mean…" I stumbled over my words.


What was going on? I never stumble over my words. Think, Hermione.

Should I accept him?

I want to go with Ron!

But will he ever realize I'm a girl?

Every time I mention the Yule Ball, he mentions Fleur Delacour, that Veela girl. Disgusting. I mean, any girl in her right mind would not be flaunting the fact that she was part Veela, especially if she was. And I bet that she simply has Ron under her spell. I bet she is leading him on. I bet he isn’t really interested in her. I’ll bet…

"Hermy-own?" Viktor Krum is still standing there. I need to give him an answer, fast, and I can't stall the poor fellow with an “I’ll think about it.”

"Mr. Krum -"

"Please, call me Viktor."

"Oh, uh, okay...Viktor, um, I would be delighted to attend the Yule Ball with you."

Viktor's face lit up like a smile in the Hall of Mirrors in France.
"Vonderful. In that case, I vill meet you at the bottom of the stairs into the Great Hall."

"Great." I reply cheerfully, "I'll see you there."

Viktor wanders off and I return to my thoughts. What have I done? How could I accept Viktor? What about Ron?

But my sensible self tells me exactly 'what about Ron':

Ron will probably not even think of you until the night before, Hermione. You are a last resort for school...why not all else? It is hard to believe...but I'm afraid it is true…

Epilogue:
Hermione did go to the Yule Ball with Viktor Krum and although many stared, she had a fantastic time, until the very end when Thick-Skulled Ronald Weasley made a few, well-placed, nasty comments regarding her date. Hermione eventually forgave Ron but continues to keep contact with Viktor to this date.