Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Lycanthrope and the Leper by FenrirG

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: *growls* Being the oh-so-intelligent sort that I am, I forgot to close an html tag and as a result the entire chapter was centered. *headdesk* So, understandably, it was rejected too. *headdesk*


So yeah.. here it is, considerably later than I planned. As usual, the world the story is set in belongs to JKR, and the lyics belong to "Unwritten" by Natasha Bedingfield. And there you were thinking I wrote them. ;]


Also, a huge thank you to my utterly fabulous beta Jordan/greeneyes. *loves* You're amazing.

Chapter Three




Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in


The forest is as dark as ever now; I can hear the light but tentative footsteps of the boy behind me, but beyond that my mind seems to have gone numb. What on earth am I doing? Bringing someone normal to the colony? And, to make things worse… someone I found in the Forest?

But then, it is clear to me that this boy is anything but normal. His clothing, his demeanor… his shocking, electric-blue eyes. There is something strange and disconcerting about him… He is hiding something.

But this is none of my business. I learned, long ago, my place in life. I am a leper, and a female one at that. I shall not question this William boy; I shall simply give him a place to rest before sending him on his way.

And yet… I know, without knowing how, that things will not turn out as I plan. It is something of a premonition I feel, although I refuse to believe in such nonsense.

This boy shall have an impact on my life. But, whether for good or bad, only time shall tell.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Clara heaved a sigh of relief as she stepped out into the open, away from the dark and oppressive cover of the leafy green treetops. It was cold; very cold. Small, icy droplets of rain spilled softly from the sky like water through a sieve; it raised bumps on Clara’s pale, scabby flesh, chilling her to the bone all the while.

Drawing her nightgown closer about her, Clara turned to the shivering boy trailing along behind her. William looked ashen and ill; he was shaking, and there was an odd, blank expression in his eyes. Clara felt a sudden surge of pity for him; he really did seem very sick.

“Come on, William,” she said, more gently than before. “The village is just a little ways away. I’ll have the Bishop come look at you, if you’d like. But let’s just get ourselves out of the rain now…”

Several long minutes later, the strange pair had reached the village. The patter of rain beat a steady cadence against the dirty rooftops of the buildings; small puffs of dust rose from the ground with each falling drop. Brushing wet strands of hair from her eyes, Clara looked about for signs of life… but it seemed that there was no one present.

“That’s strange,” the girl murmured quietly apprehension prickling at her neck. “Where could everyone”?”

Clara’s eyes fell upon the large, plain wooden building that towered high above the rest of the town: the church. It was Sunday! How on earth could I forget something like that? Groaning to herself, Clara grabbed William’s hand and began hurrying quickly toward the tiny one-room cottage that was her home. “Come on!” she urged. “I’m late.”

Throwing open the door to her house, Clara ushered the boy inside. He still wore the same rather dull, vacant expression, but he gave his head a vigorous shake to clear it before turning curiously to Clara. “Late for what?” he asked.

Clara did not respond. Gesturing for Will to sit down on her bed, she quickly strode toward her little closet and withdrew a plain homespun dress of coarse burlap. Turning her back on her companion, relieved that he had the decency to avert his eyes, Clara quickly shed her nightgown and donned the dress instead.

“You lie here,” instructed Clara, pushing Will back down upon the bed. “I’m off to church. I’ll have the Bishop come look at you once service is over, but for now, just make your self comfortable and stay put.”

With one last glance at William, Clara turned and strode out the door. She heaved a sigh of determination as the door swung shut behind her. She had made her choice and brought the boy to the colony; there was no turning back now.




Clara burst into the church with her heart in her throat; water dripped down from her hair and sodden dress, soaking the hard wood floor of the church. Four dozen heads turned her way as she rushed down the aisle, head bowed contritely, toward her usual seat. However, before she could reach it, a heavy hand grabbed her shoulder and she found herself looking up into the beefy face of Bishop Aldrich.

The bishop was a large and heavy-set man, with a square jaw and small grey eyes that bore little warmth or kindness to speak of. His fine robes and large jewels always served as a great contrast to the poor, modest garments of the townspeople. Bishop Aldrich lived in a large and luxurious house a good fifteen minutes away from the colony. While he had never invited any of the lepers inside, rumour had it that he had five servants who served him tea and gourmet meals from dishes of the finest china and silver.

“Late again, Miss Miller?” asked Bishop Aldrich you this time?”

Clara averted her gaze. “I… I found a boy, sir, when I was””

“A boy? You found a boy? How dare you lie to me, Clara, and in a house of God no less!”

A quite murmur rippled through the watching lepers; several of the elders gave disbelieving snorts, and Clara could hear stifled giggles from somewhere in the back of the church. She opened her mouth to speak, but the bishop shushed her.

“Now get to your seat, girl, and no more nonsense from you!”

Bristling with contained anger, Clara turned and walked to her seat and sat down with her head lowered. It was useless arguing with Aldrich when he had made up his mind. And yet…

No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips


Standing up abruptly, Clara felt a surge of recklessness rush though her. More than aware of the many pairs of eyes fixed upon her, she looked straight at the scowling bishop and frowned slightly. “I was going to ask you to come take a look at him after the service, but I suppose I’ll just have to get help from someone else.” Her voice was quiet but steady; the bishop looked startled to hear the girl speak so much.

“I found the boy in the Forest, in case you were wondering”his name is William and he seems to be very ill. So if you all don’t mind, I’m going back to my house to look after him.”

Ignoring the loud gasps all around her, Clara turned slowly but proudly on her heel and strode purposefully out of the church.

The second the heavy oak door slammed behind her, Clara let out the breath she had been holding and slumped down on the wall of the church. Closing her eyes, the girl brushed long wavy hair back from her face and heaved a sigh. What on earth had she been doing? Speaking like that to the bishop?

Standing upright once more, Clara opened her eyes and shook her head to rid it of these thoughts. The rain had stopped now; the soft spring sun was now spilling its pale light over the cool, sodden earth. Clara allowed herself a small smile as she glanced upward. She would deal with the consequences later. For now… she had work to do.