Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Pursuit of Sappyness by A Cappella

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
To contribute more to Hogwarts and get some job experience, I had decided at the beginning of the school year to help Madam Jambon in the Hospital Wing. Professor Dumbledore was the one who suggested I volunteer; he had commented that about fifteen years ago, a pupil, Poppy Pomfrey, had also studied under Madam Jambon when she was here, and now Pomfrey was a budding nurse.

It was my dream to become a Healer; it seemed indubitable to me that being a Healer was the best way to secure others’ welfare in the wizarding world.

So that is what I did every Thursday evening. I was exiting the Wing when a loud voice issued from behind me. “Hey, Evans!” It was the unmistakable voice of Sirius Black. “Wait up!”

“Hello, Black,” I said indifferently, starting to walk back to the common room. I was accustomed to his spontaneous conversations directed at me.

Jogging to catch up to my strides, Black grinned. “What’s up?” he asked earnestly and predictably. Even though he was really quite annoying and one of those pupils who I just rolled my eyes over, I had to admit that he was extremely good-looking”without a doubt, he was the best-looking male in our year.

Shrugging, I answered. “Not much. I just ended my session in the Hospital Wing helping Madam Jambon.”

He wrinkled his nose, flicking some black hair casually from his eyes. “Why would you help out there?”

“You’re sure one to talk,” I said coolly. “If I hear correctly, you and Potter both helped out at St. Mungo’s over summer, correct?” I had to look away to conceal the smile spreading across my face.

Black blushed only very faintly. “So what? James suggested it”I don’t know what he was thinking, exactly”must have been on firewhisky or something…”

“Wait a second.” I grabbed Black’s arm to stop him from walking. “Potter wanted to volunteer at St. Mungo’s?”

Black smirked. “Yeah.” He lowered his voice: “Don’t tell him I said that, though. That’s just what I could conclude from that event.” A barking laugh escaped between his lips. “Now let go of my arm before James sees us; he’ll be jealous.”

“What are you two up to?” Potter’s voice asked. He had rounded the corner and was shooting us accusatory glares.

“Just chatting,” Black assured Potter. “Don’t worry, mate, I’m not trying to steal her from you or anything; she’s all yours.” Potter seemed relieved at this information and laughed.

Coughing in disbelief, I spat out, “Excuse me? Now I’m just being handed over like some possession?”

“Are you saying that you were mine in the first place?” Black laughed.

I huffed, “You are impossible!” The countenance of Black and Potter was too hilarious to stay serious for long. I don’t know what came over me, but I started laughing.

They joined in, and for an odd but enjoyable moment, we stood in the middle of the hall, overcome by an effusion of laughter. It was absolutely ridiculous.

Between laughs, I gasped out, “Why”are we”laughing?”

Black just chuckled. “I have no clue.”

“Well, before I’m seen laughing like an idiot, I’m going to go now,” I told the boys, who were still laughing. “Don’t be late for dinner; it’s not a very good example to set for the first years.” I started to walk away, determined for them not to see the grin still on my face.

“I think she just wants to see more of us,” Black barked, laughing. “She’s addicted.”

Spinning around, I retorted, “You wish, Black.” With a roll of my green eyes, I turned my back on him and Potter.

“It’s not me wishing, it’s Potter!” Black jibed. I could hear them chortling and then a thud as Potter punched his friend in the stomach.

*


“Where were you?” Dorcas, one of my close girl friends, demanded as I entered the dormitory. A smile played across her face. “Were you held up by an unusually sickly patient?”

“I bet she finally decided to snog Potter,” Marlene (another friend) quipped playfully. She studied her blonde hair in the dormitory mirror. “It’s about time, Lily!” Surveying her eyelashes, she reached for her wand to lengthen them with a charm.

Flopping onto my bed, I shook my head. “Snogging Potter definitely isn’t on my ‘to do’ list.”

“Sure,” she grinned. “Denial is the first sign of love, you know.”

“But I did get held up by Potter and Black,” I revealed reluctantly, ignoring Marlene’s comment; I was accustomed to her jibes. “I was on my way back from the Hospital Wing when Black decided to strike up one of his pointless conversations.”

Marlene laughed. “Well, I was the closest.”

Alice, another of my roommates, just smiled wistfully to herself as she folded up some extra robes and stowed them in her trunk. Her round face blushed when we all looked at her.

“And what are you smiling about?” Marlene asked suspiciously.

“It could only be one person…” I piped up.

“Let me guess…” Dorcas let out an uncharacteristicly high-pitched sigh, “Perhaps”Frank Longbottom?”

We all laughed, Alice included. “It’s not my fault that he’s the kindest bloke I’ve ever met,” she told us, blushing even more. We waited for her to continue, but she didn’t.

Marlene decided to take charge. “Well, did he ask you out?” Her grin was one that could easily rival the one Alice was currently wearing.

Blushing even more furiously, Alice nodded slowly. I could almost see the wince in her face as she braced herself for our reaction.

Predictably and in accordance to the main reaction type of the female population, we squealed. Dorcas declared that her prescience was beyond the scope of human knowledge, I cheered, and Marlene ran across the dormitory to hug Alice.