Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Faulty Prophecy by werewolvesrock

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Harry's in for one tough year. oh well so have I. None of J.k's creations are mine.
The night was clear, the moon shined, and the stars twinkled down on the boy in the window of the smallest bedroom of number four, Privet Drive. His vivid green eyes ached of someone who has had experiences beyond his years, suffered heartbreak, stared in to death’s face, and loved and lost. This boy was Harry Potter. The scar across his forehead, apart from his eyes, was the only clue of what this boy had been through. He was short and skinny for a boy just coming up to seventeen. He looked underfed and weak. Not so--in six short years he had been through more than most. Even by wizarding standards, he had been through too much pain.

The book in front of him was open and had smiling photos waving up at him. He turned the page and was greeted by two couples who looked almost exactly alike. One was James Potter and Lily Evans. They were in their seventh year at Hogwarts and looked as happy as could be. On the page next to them was him, Harry, and Ginny Weasley, love of his life. The only problem was that he could never be with her.

After having Voldemort, the Darkest wizard in the world, after him for the better half of six years and nearly dying several times, Harry had pointed himself out to be a danger magnet. Anyone close to him would die before long, simply for loving him. The fact that he was the only one who would be able to stop Voldemort didn’t really help the situation. Three people had already died because of him. He couldn’t be responsible for anymore deaths.

He had broken all ties with his friends and had ended it with Ginny. The only two people he was in contact with were Mad-Eye Moody and Remus Lupin. Over the two weeks at the Dursley’s, they had kept him updated on what was going on. More and more people were converting to the Dark Side by force and false promises.

Harry gazed intently at Ginny’s face, before slowly turning to the page on which he came across him and his two best friends. Ron Weasley, with flaming red hair, was tall and lanky; and next to him was Hermione Granger, who had bushy brown hair and as usual had her arms full of books; and finally himself. They were smiling and waving at the camera, all looking happy. Tears were starting to form in Harry’s eyes. He closed the book and looked around the room.

It was small, cramped, and had started to become untidy the minute he had gotten back from Hogwarts. His trunk was thrown to one side, spell books, quills, and robes spilling out. His pride and joy was leaning against his bed. The Firebolt was one of his prized possessions, which his godfather, Sirius Black, had given to him in his third year. On his bedside table was the Marauders Map, the map of Hogwarts, which had been made by his father, James, and his father’s best friends. Draped across his bed was James’s old Invisibility Cloak, the only thing Harry had that had belonged to his dad. His owl, Hedwig, was perched on a chair, eating a mouse she had caught hunting.

Harry looked at his digital clock. It was approaching midnight. In three minutes he would be seventeen, which would allow him to use magic outside school and leave Privet Drive, never to return. It was time to pack. He would be leaving in the morning for Godric’s Hollow. There he would find the remains of his old house and, more importantly, the graves of his parents.

Two minutes. He pushed all the robes, clothes, and cloaks into the trunk.

One minute. He pulled out a rucksack and shoved his Invisibility Cloak inside, along with the map.

Thirty seconds. He picked up his wand from the bedside table.

Three, two, one.

BANG. There was a loud explosion from downstairs. Harry gripped his wand. He pulled his door open and looked down the hall. Dudley’s bedroom door had opened, and Harry’s fat cousin was looking out. Harry’s aunt and uncle had flown out of their room. Uncle Vernon had a rifle in his hands.


“POTTER!”

Harry froze. That voice. Harry looked fearfully around the corner. At the bottom of the stairs was Severus Snape. Harry’s ex-Potions master had his wand drawn and was looking around.

“Who’s there?” asked Uncle Vernon. “I warn you- I’m armed.” Harry couldn’t help but grin to himself - his uncle had said the exact same words six years ago on Harry’s eleventh birthday.

“Muggle. Come down and bring Potter.” Snape’s voice was taught with anger and hatred. “Bring Potter and I won’t kill your family.”

Harry ran back into his room and pulled the Invisibility Cloak out. He draped it around himself and slid out again. Jumping silently down the stairs and avoiding the creaky step, he landed in front of Snape. He hoped he hadn’t been seen while springing down the stairs. As he crept around behind Snape, he heard Uncle Vernon again.

“He’s not in his bedroom. Please don’t kill us.” Harry could hear the terror in his uncle’s voice. He knew guns were powerless against wizards.

Harry was just about to Stun Snape when the Death Eater turned and yelled, “ACCIO CLOAK!” The cloak flew off Harry
.
Harry cursed silently. Why hadn’t he thought of that? His wand in hand, he tried to look calm, but inside his brain was telling him to run. “Hi, Snivvie. How’s Volders? And more to the point, why just you? I thought Voldemort would send more. Either that or grace me with his presence. Oh well.”

“The Dark Lord has more vital things on his mind than you, Potter. How like your father you are. You think you’re so important, just like him.”

“Yeah, and just like him, I hate your guts!” retorted Harry.
“I so begged the Dark Lord to let me finish you off myself. He denied me the privilege, but I decided to come anyway. I can just tell him I tried to capture you, but use of lethal force was required. Once I do, I will be his second in command. I killed Dumbledore, and now I’m about to kill the great Harry Potter. AVADA KEDAVRA!

As if in slow motion Harry saw the green light bursting towards him. He dove and rolled and heard a sound like a sledge hammer ploughing in to brickwork just above his head.

“Your aim’s off, Snivellus! You need to practice. Here, let me show you. Impedimenta!” Snape flew backwards, crashing into the stairs and falling to the bottom, where Harry delivered a swift kick to Snape’s face.

Blood trickled from under Snape’s hairline. Harry smiled and said, “You have no idea how long I’ve waited to do that.Tutis.” Harry waved his wand at Snape again, and chains and ropes appeared and bound him.

Harry ran back upstairs and took Hedwig out from her cage. He grabbed a roll of spare parchment and scribbled a quick note.

Moody,
I have Snape, held captive in my house. I don’t know how long I can hold him here. Please get here ASAP. Don’t worry, there aren’t any more of them here at the moment.
Harry.


“HARRY!” Aunt Petunia and Dudley burst into the room, their faces filled with fear.
“He got out!”

Harry bolted down the stairs and saw Snape standing over Uncle Vernon, who was screaming in pain, clearly under the Cruciatus Curse. Snape had his trademark sneer on his face. Harry stood there calmly.

“Let him go, Snape.”

“Why should I, Potter? How do you feel seeing your only family members getting hurt? Does it hurt you to see those you love dying?”

“Not really. I don’t really like any of these Muggles. I just thought you might want a sporting chance to go against me. But if you want me to hex you into next week, please, go ahead.”
“Are you threatening me, Potter?”

“Blimey, you are quick on the uptake. Sectumsempra!” Harry slashed at Snape with his wand. Snape’s robes shredded, as did the skin below. He fell back in pain. Harry walked forward and stood over Snape, his wand pointed at Snape’s heart.

Snape started to reach toward his wand, but Harry kicked it away. “Now, Snivvie. I could kill you where you lie. Or I could be merciful and wait for Moody. I think I’ll wait for Moody, but until then,Stupefy.” Red light soared out of Harry’s wand. Snape’s head lolled onto his shoulders.

Harry rushed over to Uncle Vernon, suddenly exhausted; the duel had taken a lot out of him. “Uncle Vernon. Wake up. Please. Uncle Vernon.”

Not again. I don‘t even like him, and now he‘s going to die because of me. Why me? First Cedric just for appearing in the graveyard with me, then Sirius for being my godfather, then Dumbledore just for teaching me, and now this!

“Potter?”

“Moody, about bloody time. I need help -- Uncle Vernon -- Cruciatus Curse -- need Mungos,” he panted.

Moody stood over and looked at Uncle Vernon. He nodded. He took hold of Uncle Vernon’s arm, and they both disappeared with a crack.

“H-Harry? What’s happening?” Fear was evident in Aunt Petunia’s voice, and the look on her face confirmed it.

“Uncle Vernon’s had to go to hospital, but we’re going to my house. We can see him when he stabilizes.” Harry decided not to tell her it was a wizard hospital. There was a loud crack behind him, and Moody reappeared. “Sir, if it’s agreeable, could I take my aunt and cousin to Grimmauld Place?”

“It’s your house, boy. Your choice, but we’d better get going.” Moody looked around. Seeing a cushion, he picked it up. “Portus.” The cushion glowed. “The activation word is ‘Voldemort is a git.’”

Harry smiled. For an old guy who was really paranoid, Moody had a good sense of humour. Harry walked up to where Dudley and Aunt Petunia stood huddled in a corner. There was a crack, and when Harry turned, Moody and Snape had gone.

“Right. You two go grab a few things. We’re going. Be in the kitchen in ten minutes.” They looked shocked at the idea of him giving them orders, but they followed them anyway. He walked up to his bedroom and pointed his wand at his trunk. “Migrus.

The trunk shrunk so Harry could fit it into his backpack. He did the same to his broom. Walking down to the kitchen, he waited for Dudley and his aunt to come downstairs. When they finally trudged in, Aunt Petunia was carrying a suitcase, while Dudley was heaving a big bag of clothes that had a television-sized bulge in.

“Dudley, where we’re going doesn’t have electricity. No point taking that, sorry.” Harry tried hard not to laugh at the look on Dudley’s face. He dropped the bag with the television in it. “Okay, touch the pillow and don’t let go. You two ready?” They nodded. “Good. Voldemort is a git!




Harry felt the all-too-familiar jerk behind his navel. Harry had never liked travelling by Portkey, and his landings hadn’t improved; all three of them landed hard and fell over. Harry looked around. They had landed in Sirius’s mother’s room, which was at that moment occupied by the hippogriff, Buckbeak.

The creature had run to the other side of the room. Harry quickly stood up and bowed deeply to the half-horse, half-bird animal. Buckbeak looked at him for a while before bowing back. Harry rushed forward and patted Buckbeak’s beak. He glanced back at the others and indicated the door. The two Muggles slid toward it and left.

“Good boy.” Harry patted the hippogriff once more and then followed.

Outside the room, Harry found Aunt Petunia and Dudley waiting for him. “Harry, what was that? Where are we?” Aunt Petunia looked around fearfully.

“That was Buckbeak. He’s a hippogriff. If you ever meet him when I’m not around, don’t be rude to him, keep eye contact, and don’t blink. Bow to him, if he bows back, you’re safe, if he doesn’t, run. And you’re in Grimmauld Place. This is the house that my godfather left me in his will. We’re here because it’s closer to St. Mungo’s than Privet Drive, and it’s safer .”

“What’s St. Mungo’s?”

“It’s the hospital that Uncle Vernon went to.”

“Does it have-urm…”

“Wizards in?” came a voice behind her. “Yeah, it’s a wizard hospital. But luckily for your husband, they’re not as prejudiced as you people are.” A young woman with bubblegum pink hair was scowling at the Dursleys.

“Hey Tonks. You okay?” Harry smiled at Tonks.

“Yeah, I’m fine, Harry. Oh, guess what?”

“What?”

“Remus got his act together.” She held up her left hand showing an engagement ring. “We’re getting married.”

“Congrats! When’d he get round to that?”

“About a week ago, now. We’ve been kind of dating since Dumbledore’s funeral, and I think Molly bullied him into asking me. But I reckon he wanted to.” She smiled at Harry.

“Got a date set yet?”

“No, but we’re trying to sort it out.”

“Great.” He suddenly remembered the Dursleys. “We need to find a room for these two,” he said indicating his aunt and cousin.

“Yeah, sure. Come with me.”

They followed Tonks down the corridor and up some stairs until they reached the attic rooms. She opened the door, and they caught sight of a room that was smothered in dust and cobwebs, and which smelt damp and old. It was clear no one had been in this room for years.

“Might need to be cleaned up a bit, though.” Tonks smirked slightly at the look on Aunt Petunia’s face.

“You expect me to clean this?” she squealed.

“No, I’ll do it.Scourgify!” Tonks waved her wand at the room. The dust lifted, and the bed made itself, throwing dust off the sheets. The window cleaned and the curtains freed themselves of the dust, cobwebs, and dead insects that had settled on them. The two Dursleys looked on in amazement. Tonks glanced at Harry and winked.

“Can I try that, Tonks? I mean, I am allowed, now,” Harry asked, smiling sweetly.

“Sure, go for it, Harry.” She winked back. They walked to the next room.

Scourgify!” Harry brought his wand down in a swooping movement. The room was spotless in seconds. As he looked at the room, he was sure it was cleaner than the one Tonks had just magicked cleaned.

“Bloody hell, Harry. You did better than me,” she said and clapped. Harry gave a fake bow, a smile alighting his face.

The two Dursleys’ mouths were hanging open at what Harry had just done.




Harry and Tonks left the Dursleys up in their rooms to get sorted and made their way to the kitchen. As they entered, a small canon ball flew at Harry.

“Harry Potter, sir, Dobby is so pleased to see you again!” The little elf beamed up at Harry, his tennis ball eyes wide.

“Hey, Dobby. What are you doing here?”

“Dobby is working here, now, sir. After Professor Dumbledore passed,” Dobby’s ears drooped slightly, “the governors dismissed Dobby. They didn’t want an elf that wanted pay, sir. Mr. Lupin asked Dobby if he wanted to work in Harry Potter’s house. Dobby was so happy! Dobby doesn’t even want paying. Not if he’s in the employ of Harry Potter, sir.”

“Thanks, Dobby. Do me a favour and go and check on my aunt and cousin. Their rooms are on the top floor.”

“Anything, Harry Potter, sir.”

Harry turned to the three people sitting at the table. Remus Lupin was looking shabbier than last time. Harry remembered that it had been a full moon the night before, but Lupin still beamed at Harry. Tonks was there and had seated herself practically on Lupin’s lap. Moody was at the sink, washing his magical eye. Harry heard him mutter words like, “Scum…Crouch…stuck.”

Harry knew Moody was referring to when Barty Crouch Jr. had kidnapped Moody and pretended to be him in Harry’s fourth year. This seemed to have made Moody even more jumpy than before.

“Professor Lupin. How are you?”

“Harry, I have told you call me Remus. And I’m fine, especially after…” he trailed off looking adoringly at Tonks.

“Yeah, I heard about that. Congratulations.”

“Thanks. And happy birthday, Harry. We were going to come and get you today, anyway. There’s a big party for you at the Burrow.”

Harry’s face fell.

“Harry what’s wrong?” Tonks looked at him concernedly.

“Ginny,” he said simply.

“We heard,” said Lupin. “Harry, don’t drop her over a small matter like Voldemort. She must have been one of the best things that ever happened to you. Think about it. Yeah she’s upset, but she’ll get you back, you know what she’s like.”

Harry nodded; he knew exactly how Ginny always seemed to get her way.

“But what if she doesn’t want me back? And even if she does,” he said quickly, “I can’t. Voldemort would kill her just because she loves me. How would I feel if that happened?”

“She’s in danger anyway, Harry. Remember her dad, he’s one of the biggest blood traitors there is. Do you really think Voldemort is going to leave them alone?”

“No, I suppose not.”

“Precisely. And Harry, right now you’re the biggest threat to Voldemort. She’ll be much safer having your emotional support. Harry, I feel safer knowing you.”

“Yeah, I suppose. I’ll think about it. Thanks Pro- I mean Remus.” Harry smiled.

“Pleasure, Harry. We’ve moved all your stuff to the master bedroom since it’s your house. See you tomorrow. ‘Night.”

“’Night.”

Harry climbed the stairs to a large bedroom with a deep purple, four-poster bed. He climbed in fully-clothed and fell asleep the minute his head touched the pillow.