Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

No Longer Home by Sly Severus

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A special thank you to Kay and Mask for all of their help. *huggles*

Disclaimer: I do not own these characters or anything in their magical world. These characters and their world belong to the talented J.K. Rowling and Warner Bros.




Her shoes clicked loudly on the floor as she walked through the Department of Mysteries heading towards the courtroom. The harsh lighting in the hall caused her pale skin and blonde hair to appear almost green. It had been years since she set foot in this building. After the first war, she gave up her job as a barrister and left her home. She never expected to return, but there she was. She could never leave Lucius when he really needed her.

She stopped outside the door, attempting to fully compose herself. She didn’t want to be there, especially so shortly after the war. People were still mourning, and in a way she was too.

Before she could open the door, a hand rested on her shoulder. Jumping into the air, she thoroughly proved just how edgy she was. She had hoped to keep her unease to herself. With a scowl, she turned to face the person who had ruined her plans.

Staring into the prim and perfect face of Narcissa Malfoy, it took all of her strength to bite back her anger. Narcissa was simply the last person she wanted to see. She was well aware of this woman’s behavior after the war and considered it unforgivable.

“Chrissy,” Narcissa greeted her. “I was starting to worry that you weren’t coming. He’s already in the court room. They have him chained up in that awful chair. You have to get him out of this.”

“My name is Chrysantia,” she snapped. “And of course, I am going to be here. I promised Lucius I would represent him, but I don’t know why he would want me. He can certainly afford the best attorney. I haven’t practiced in years.”

“Another attorney wouldn’t have a personal interest,” Narcissa told her, wide-eyed. “Why do you sound so angry? Have I done something to offend you?”

“This isn’t about me,” she told her, “or how I feel about you. I came to help Lucius because he asked me to. There’s nothing else that needs to be said.”

“Chrissy, we used to be friends,” Narcissa persisted. “What’s wrong?”

“That’s right, we used to be friends. Notice the past tense there, Narcissa? And I asked you to call me by my full name.”

“Chrysantia, tell me why you’re mad at me,” Narcissa said, refusing to back down, tears forming in her eyes. “I was looking forward to you coming home. I’ve been so lonely. I miss Bella terribly and Andy won’t talk to me.”

Chrissy could feel every ounce of control leaving her body. Why couldn’t Narcissa leave her alone? She would be no help to Lucius if she was a total wreck. This was not something she wanted to deal with seconds before the beginning of a trial. However, she was being left with no choice.

“You miss Bella, do you?” Chrissy practically spat at her. “Is that why you left her to rot in the middle of a war scene while you snuggled with your precious little family? You knew that Lucius and Draco were all right. You knew that Bella wasn’t. She needed you. You were the only person she had left. You should have been taking care of her.” Tears came to her eyes, but she ignored them and continued. “And I don’t blame Andromeda for refusing to speak to you. You refused to admit she existed for years. What could you expect from her?”

Narcissa looked terribly hurt, and Chrissy reveled in her pain. She deserved to hurt. Bella had never let her down. Whenever Narcissa was in trouble her sister bailed her out. The one time Bella needed Narcissa, she wasn’t there.

“I’m sorry about what happened to Bella’s body,” Narcissa finally told her in a choked whisper. “I know it was my fault. They wouldn’t even let me see her. I don’t know what those damned kids did to her, but it was bad. I never thought anything like that could happen. I wouldn’t have left her, if I even dreamed it was possible. I loved my sister. Chrissy, you have to know that.”

Tears streamed freely down Narcissa’s face, but Chrissy ignored her. She could no longer feel any sympathy for Narcissa Malfoy.

“How did you find out that her body had been desecrated?” Narcissa finally asked, wiping her eyes.

“People remember me, Narcissa,” she replied coldly. “They remember how close Bella and I were. We grew up together. We were inseparable until she decided to give her life to a man who knew nothing but hate. Everyone who knew me knew that I would never really stop loving my best friend, even after all these years. They thought I should know the truth about what happened to her. Would you have ever told me?”

“No,” Narcissa said, staring into her eyes. “I also know how much you loved Bella. I know that you’re mourning her now, even though you haven’t spoken in years. I know that you’re hurting. So no, I wouldn’t have told you something that was bound to cause you more pain. Bella would have preferred that you didn’t know.”

“You don’t have the first clue what your sister would have wanted,” Chrissy snapped.

A flash of anger came to Narcissa’s eyes. Chrissy was readying herself for a fight. She couldn’t let Narcissa win this. She knew that she was right. The way Narcissa had left her sister’s body to rot was wrong”it was sick.

However, before either of them could say another word the door to the courtroom slid open and a young man nervously stared at the two. Glancing from one furious woman to the other, he looked as though he wanted to run in terror.

“Ladies,” he choked, his unease evident, “you’re both needed inside: Court is about to begin.”

“Thank you,” Chrissy said politely, and inclined her head in a curt nod that implied newfound composure.

Flipping her hair behind her shoulders, she stepped into the courtroom with an air of confidence and success. She walked with her head held high and an expression of determination on her pallid face. She could not allow Narcissa to throw off her game. She was there for Lucius.

Taking her seat at the defense counsel’s table, she allowed her eyes to drift to the man chained in the chair at the center of the room. He had aged since she last saw him. Of course, it had been many years; she had probably aged as well. His hair hung limply around his shoulders and he was clothed in Azkaban robes. She felt a pang in her chest upon seeing him like that.

Looking away from the tired and beaten man, she focused on her case, on the trail in front of her. She could not afford to think of anything else. In her day, she had been a rising star in the courtroom. Many people called her a shark, but it wasn’t true. She was simply good at what she did. And she would be good again, for Lucius’ sake.

It wasn’t long before the formalities began. The new Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement began to give his usual speech. He was a short, chubby man whose name she could not remember. Superficially, she had no desire or care to know. Throughout the trial she would address him by Sir, and when the trial was over she would be gone.

Finally, the proceedings began. The prosecution called witness after witness, and Chrissy could not help but become bored with the process. Each witness said the same thing, that Lucius Malfoy was a horrific Death Eater and that he did horrific things. Not one witness had an ounce of proof to back up their claims. She was easily able to shut each of them down and had no misconceptions that Lucius would leave the courtroom a free man.

“Is the prosecution at rest?” the chubby Department Head asked.

“We would like to call one more witness,” announced a young woman with black hair, a long nose, and bulging cheeks. Something about her reminded Chrissy of a crow.

“Very well.”

“The prosecution would like to call Harry James Potter to the stand.”

A young man with messy black hair stood up in the crowd and moved towards the witness stand in smooth strides. Chrissy sensed he would be much harder to break than the other witnesses, as he had certainly seen Lucius in some compromising situations.

As the prosecution began to question Mr. Potter, Chrissy sat up straighter and scribbled down her observations. She would not let The Boy Who Lived destroy her case. This would not be the first case she lost.

The interrogation went on for quite some time. She noted an incident in Potter’s second year that involved a diary and the opening of the Chamber of Secrets. She wrote about the night Voldemort returned and how Lucius was present at his resurrection. She took notes about a horrific battle in the Department of Mysteries, which was only a short distance away from where they sat. She wrote about a showdown at Malfoy Manor and the final battle itself. It turned out Harry Potter had a lot to say.

Finally, the prosecutor returned to her table with a self-satisfied smirk on her face. Jumping to her feet, Chrissy could not wait to remove that idiotic look from her pudgy cheeks. She would have preferred to remove it with a smack across the face, but refrained from doing so.

“Mr. Potter,” she began, stepping forward and narrowing her gaze on the young man, “you spoke of an incident that took place during your second year at Hogwarts involving the diary of Tom Riddle and the Chamber of Secrets.”

“Yes.”

“Was the Chamber opened?”

“Yes.”

“Was it opened as a result of this diary?”

“Yes.”

“How is that possible?”

“The diary contained a portion of Voldemort’s soul. He was able to possess the owner of the diary, causing her to open the Chamber.”

“Who opened the Chamber?”

“Voldemort, ma’am.”

“I’ll rephrase. What student was responsible for the Chamber being opened?”

The boy looked uncomfortable. She had hit a nerve. Perhaps he wouldn’t be so hard to break after all. His gaze fell to a group of redheads at the back of the courtroom and she felt her patience dwindling.

“Mr. Potter, please, answer the question.”

“Ginny Weasley,” he muttered.

“So Miss Weasley was the owner of the diary?”

“Yes.”

“I neglect to see what any of this has to do with my client,” she stated firmly. “How is it that you are blaming Lucius Malfoy for the opening of the Chamber of Secrets?”

“He had an argument with Arthur Weasley when we were all shopping for books prior to the start of the school year. The fight came to blows between the two men. Books were scattered everywhere, and I believe Mr. Malfoy took that opportunity to slip the diary into Ginny’s cauldron.”

“Did you see Mr. Malfoy do this?”

“No.”

“Then what possible reason could you have to suspect him?”

“He is a Death Eater. He wanted revenge on Arthur. He wanted his daughter expelled.”

“Trying to have an eleven-year-old expelled from school seems rather petty, Mr. Potter. Mr. Malfoy is a grown man, and I doubt his motivations would be so simplistic. You have failed to consider that Mr. Malfoy’s own son was at Hogwarts at the time. Do you really believe a father would put his child in that kind of danger?”

“Draco wasn’t in danger,” Potter argued. “The snake was not trained to attack purebloods.”

“Accidents happen, as I am sure you are well aware, Mr. Potter,” she told him. “It was a large risk. Can you imagine that a father would risk his son’s life in such a manner?”

“No,” Harry admitted, looking away.

“Do you have any evidence to tie Lucius Malfoy to the diary of Tom Riddle?”

“No.”

“Very well,” she said briskly. “Then we shall move on to the night of the Tri-Wizard Tournament. You claim to have seen Mr. Malfoy in the cemetery where Voldemort returned.”

“Yes.”

“Did you talk to Mr. Malfoy that night?”

“No.”

“That night Cedric Diggory died. Can you tell me what happened to him?”

“Voldemort ordered one of his Death Eaters to kill him.”

“Was Mr. Malfoy involved in this killing?”

“No, he wasn’t there at the time.”

“Later that night Voldemort tried to kill you, is that correct?”

“Yes.”

“Was Mr. Malfoy involved in this?”

“No.”

“In fact, did Mr. Malfoy harm anyone that night?”

“No.”

“The next year there was a battle in the Department of Mysteries, close to where we are right now. You have testified that both you and Mr. Malfoy were present at this battle, is that correct?”

“Yes.”

“There were several injuries that night and one death, correct?”

“Yes.”

“To the best of your knowledge, was Mr. Malfoy responsible for any of the injuries sustained that night?”

“No.”

“Did he kill Sirius Black?”

“No, he was killed by the murdering bitch, Bellatrix Lestrange,” Potter’s words were sharp and deadly.

Chrissy was caught off guard, and for a brief moment she couldn’t breathe . She hadn’t expected Bella to be discussed or accused. She hadn’t expected to hear her friend’s name spat with such venom.

“Bellatrix Lestrange is not on trial today,” she said coldly, once she had calmed.

“Did you see Mr. Malfoy inflict any harm to anyone during this battle?” she asked, after a few moments of silence.

“No.”

“You claim that during the months leading up to the final battle with Voldemort you were taken to Malfoy Manor as a prisoner, is that correct?”

“Yes.”

“Did you see Mr. Malfoy while you were there?”

“Yes.”

“Did he hurt you in anyway?”

“No, but he wanted to contact Voldemort so he could kill me.”

“Did Mr. Malfoy contact Voldemort?”

“No, Bellatrix told him to wait.”

With a deep breath, Chrissy ignored another mention of her lost friend.

“Does Lucius Malfoy strike you as the kind of man who would take orders from his sister-in-law in his own home?”

“No.”

“So is it not possible that Mr. Malfoy had no real desire to see you dead?”

“I don’t believe that it is likely, but it is possible.”

“Finally, Mr. Potter, can you tell me what you know about Mr. Malfoy’s role in the final battle?”

“I didn’t see him much. I don’t believe he was involved in the actual fight.”

“What did Mr. Malfoy do after Voldemort was killed?”

“I saw him with his family. He was holding his wife and son.”

“Mr. Potter, do you believe Mr. Malfoy is a threat to anyone?”

“No,” Potter replied, hesitantly. “I believe he is content to live a quiet life with his family.”

“Thank you, Mr. Potter,” she said and returned to her seat.

Potter rose from the stand and returned to the pack of redheads. It took all of Chrissy’s strength not to glare at the lot of them.

“Would the defense like to call their first witness?” the chubby man asked.

“I have only one,” she replied, “Lucius Malfoy.”

“Very well.”

Rising again, Chrissy approached the blonde man without looking at him. She hoped this would be quick and painless. She had told him not to lie, and she hoped that he had the sense to listen to her for once in his life.

“Mr. Malfoy, do you have the Dark Mark?” she asked, gazing directly at the floor, still refusing to meet his eyes.

“Yes.”

“Did you serve Voldemort?”

“Yes.”

“Did you ever kill anyone while performing this service?”

“No.”

“Do you believe Voldemort’s views on pureblood supremacy?”

“Not now.”

“You used to?”

“Yes.”

“What changed?”

“I watched my family torn apart because I chose to follow the Dark Lord. I watched Half-bloods and Muggleborns stand up to him and fight. It would have been clear to anyone that they were not inferior.”

“Do you regret your choice to become a Death Eater?”

“Yes.”

“Do you have any desire to harm Half-bloods, Muggleborns, or Muggles now?”

“No.”

“Thank you, Mr. Malfoy.”

With that, Chrissy calmly returned to the stiff, uncomfortable chair. She expected that the prosecution would drag Lucius over the coals, demanding to know everything he ever did in the service of Voldemort. She hated to put him in that position, but she hoped the council would remember that he had never committed a murder and he no longer shared the ideals of Voldemort.

However, she was shocked when she heard the prosecuting lawyer say, “I have no questions for this witness.”

“Very well, as this was defense counsel’s only witness, I shall now hear closing arguments,” the Department Head announced.

“I have very little to say,” the prosecuting attorney began as she circled around the room. “What do I really need to say? Mr. Malfoy has admitted to having the Dark Mark. He has admitted to serving He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. That, in itself, is enough to convict him, enough to send him to Azkaban for life.

“I don’t even need to mention that Mr. Malfoy has, in fact, already been sentenced to life in Azkaban for his involvement in a brutal battle that took place within these very walls. My friend, this trail is a formality. There should be no doubt in anyone’s mind that Lucius Malfoy belongs in Azkaban.

“The defense has attempted to convince you that Mr. Malfoy is no longer a threat. Perhaps this is true, but in the end, does it matter? The answer is no. Mr. Malfoy should have to pay for his crimes whether or not he desires to commit them again. I trust that this council will do the right thing.”

Chrissy waited until opposing counsel had returned to her seat. She noticed that the woman was once again wearing that irritating smirk. Again, she had to refrain from slapping her.

“Council Members,” she began, “I would like to begin by thanking you. It is true that Mr. Malfoy was not required to have a trial due to his previous conviction. However, this committee has decided that it is imperative that his story be heard. I thank you for that, and I must say that I am glad to see some changes being made in the Ministry.

“That being said, I would like to address the issue of Mr. Malfoy’s previous conviction. He was sentenced to life in Azkaban, without a trial, due to his involvement in the battle at the Department of Mysteries. We have heard testimony today about that involvement. We know that Mr. Malfoy was present during this battle. We know that he was fighting for Voldemort. We also know that he didn’t do a particularly good job of it. Mr. Malfoy did not harm a soul that night. And his life was taken from him because of a mark on his arm, a mistake made in his youth.

“I have known Mr. Malfoy all my life. He is very far from being an inept wizard. He always had a talent for mastering even the most complicated of spells. I believe that if he entered a battle with the desire to kill, someone would have died. Therefore, I do not believe that Mr. Malfoy ever entered a battle with the desire to kill. I believe he entered with the desire to survive. Once that mark was burned into his skin there was no going back. A lifetime of service or death was Voldemort’s motto. After a horrific mistake, Mr. Malfoy chose life: A life for himself and for his family. However, he also chose to do his duty with as little carnage as possible.

“So yes, ladies and gentlemen, Lucius Malfoy was a Death Eater. And yes, that is enough to send him to Azkaban for life, but is that really the right thing to do? Should a man really be punished for the simple mistake of choosing the wrong side? Should he be taken away from his wife and son because of an error in judgment? He even tried to rectify that error, as best he could. He fought battles without causing harm. How many Death Eaters can say that?

“Lucius Malfoy is not a monster. He is not a killer. He is a man who made a mistake. A man with a family who loves him very much. Lucius Malfoy is very much a family man. When the final battle ended and was fought he did not care about the outcome; he did not care about his master’s demise. He cared only about his family. If the council chooses to release my client, he will go home to his family and lead a quiet life. Personally, I can think of no reason why he should not be allowed to do that. Lucius Malfoy has suffered for his involvement with Voldemort. To make him suffer further would be redundant and cruel.”

Taking a deep breath, Chrissy returned to her seat. She had not once made eye contact with the council or with Lucius. She couldn’t afford to lose track of her words. Her closing argument had to be perfect, and she prayed that it was. She also hoped that her performance had been enough to spare Lucius.

“That is all for this trial,” the walrus like Department Head declared. “The counsel will deliberate, and Mr. Malfoy will be returned to Azkaban until a decision is reached. At that time, all interested parties will be contacted. Court is adjourned.”

Everyone around her began to move and Chrissy suddenly felt slightly panicked. She didn’t want to talk to anyone, and the last thing she needed was a repeat of her conversation with Narcissa. It would be best if she just quietly disappeared to her room at the Leaky Cauldron and waited to be summoned back to court to hear the verdict.

As she grabbed her files and prepared to Disapparate, she allowed her eyes to wander to Lucius. He was being given a moment to speak with his family. And she watched as Narcissa hugged him, tears streaming down her face. A young mad stood by with a frightened expression on his face, whom she was able to identify as Lucius’ son, Draco. It was a shame she never met the boy, but she knew this was not the time.

Before she could look away, Lucius’ grey eyes met hers. Clearly, he wanted her to approach him, but she knew that it would be a mistake with Narcissa standing there. She gave him a brief smile and finally forced herself to Disapparate.

*


Chrissy spent the remainder of her day alone in her room. The solitude didn’t really bother her, but she was beginning to get anxious. She had agreed to return for this trial against her better judgment. It had not been a good time to leave her life, and she was looking forward to getting back to it.

Eventually, she stretched out on the lumpy bed and fell into an uneasy sleep. She had always loved to sleep. It was the one time that she didn’t have to worry, that she didn’t have to deal with anything.

However, her escape from reality was short lived, and just as she was about to fall into a deep sleep there was a pecking sound at her window. Forcing herself to regain full consciousness, she rose from the bed and hurried to the window. The owl whipped into the room and landed on the nightstand.

As soon as the letter had been removed from its foot, the bird took flight again. Not even bothering to stick around for treats. Chrissy was certain that it was a Ministry Owl. The council must have come to a decision.

Unfolding the parchment, her suspicions were confirmed. The letter was brief, informing her to return to the Ministry at once for the verdict of her client.

For a brief moment, she didn’t want to go. Fear gripped her. What if she had failed? What if Lucius was sent to Azkaban? How could she forgive herself? He trusted her to protect him, but what if it wasn’t enough?

Shaking her head, she attempted to get a hold of herself. She may have had a short career, but she had never lost a case. This would not be her first. She had proven that Lucius was not a threat. That had to be enough”it had to be.
After she had run a brush through her hair, she quickly Apparated back the courtroom, praying that things would go her way.

Once again, she saw Narcissa in the hall. This time she was with her son and looking utterly terrified. Chrissy simply hurried past her. There was nothing to be said between the two women that had not already been said.

Returning to her seat, she saw that Lucius was once again chained like an animal as though on exhibit. The Ministry’s methods had improved slightly since the war, but not nearly enough. They still could not grasp the concept of treating people like human beings.

Before Chrissy could become too caught up in her bitter thoughts towards the Ministry the room had settled. All interested parties had retuned and the Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement was ready to give the verdict. Inhaling deeply, she prepared herself for what was about to come.

“This was not an easy decision,” he began. “The simple truth is that there is ample evidence to convict Mr. Malfoy. However, something said in closing arguments really stuck out. Defense counsel has admitted that there is sufficient evidence to send her client to Azkaban. However, she has posed an interesting question: Do we want to?

“It is clear that Mr. Malfoy has not done a great deal of harm in his service to Voldemort. It is also clear that he has no desire to continue down that same path. Azkaban is used to punish the guilty and protect the innocent. In this case, I do not feel that it would serve that purpose. Mr. Malfoy may be guilty to some extent, but he has suffered under the control of a madman for many years of his life. He has been punished. And as I do not believe Mr. Malfoy is a threat, there are no innocents to protect. Therefore, this council has decided that Mr. Malfoy shall be cleared of all charges.”

Slowly, Chrissy began to breathe again. Did she hear properly? Was it really over? Were they really letting him off?

Behind her she could hear Narcissa sobbing and thanking Merlin. She watched as an Auror approached Lucius to remove the chains. She realized that it was real. She had succeeded, and it truly was over.

She continued to watch as Narcissa and Draco rushed towards Lucius. There were tears and hugs. She was happy for him. He was going to get a second chance at life and with his family. She was glad to see that someone had a chance for a happily ever after.

Finally, she gathered her papers and turned to leave. It was time for her to return to her own life, and her own responsibilities. This was no longer her home. There was nothing left for her here, and even if there was she was needed at home.

She was about to Apparate away when a large hand gently grabbed her shoulder.

“You weren’t going to leave without talking to me, were you?” Lucius asked in a rather hurt voice.

“Actually, I was,” she admitted, turning to face him. “I’m glad I could help you, but I have no place here now. You should be enjoying your family. I need to get home.”

“You are my family,” Lucius reminded her, pulling her into a slightly awkward hug. “And I am very grateful that you came back to help me.”

“You’re my baby brother,” she told him, pulling away and meeting his eyes. “I may not agree with you, but if you really need me, I’ll be there. I’m glad you’re getting a second chance.”

“I want a second chance with you too,” he persisted. “I know I wasn’t there for you after the first war. I know you struggled with my involvement and with Bella’s. We both should have listened to you, but the past can’t be changed. All I can do is promise to be a better brother in the future, if you’ll let me.”

“Lucy, I love you,” she replied, taking his hand. “I wish I could give you what you want, but I can’t. I can’t come back here and pretend we’re a happy family. I can’t forgive Narcissa for looking the other way as her sister was attacked. I can’t be a part of your family now. But I will always care about you.”

“Stay for a few days,” he tried again. “You don’t have to stay at the manor. I just want a few days to get to know my sister again. You haven’t even met my son.”

Tears filled her eyes as she listened to the desperation in his voice. When they were children she always caved to anything that he wanted. She still wanted to, but she knew that it wasn’t possible. She had a life with responsibilities, and she needed to return to it.

“I’m sorry, Lucy,” she told him, wrapping him in a hug. “I need to go. I’ve been away too long, but send me an owl. We’ll keep in touch. I want you to be my brother again.”

“I’ll write you,” he told her, clutching her tightly. “And one day I will convince you to come home.”

She stayed in her brother’s arms for a long time. It felt good to be there. Somehow, it really was like coming home. She never realized how much she missed him or Bella until the war showed her. If only she had realized sooner, then things might have been different.

“I will stay in touch, Lucy,” she said, pulling away at last. “And maybe someday I will visit. Sometime when my life is less hectic then it is now. But know this, if you ever need me, I’ll be there.”

“Thank you,” he replied, smiling widely.

She gave her brother a quick kiss on the cheek, and Apparated home and back to her life.