Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Trapped With the Truth by Hypatia

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Acceptance

It had been many years since Argus had accepted the position as caretaker of Hogwarts. It had been a fairly thankless job; cleaning up the messes of ungrateful brats, unable to make them realize how very fortunate they were to even be allowed to study in such a school. Now it seemed that Snape had abandoned them all, McGonagall was once again headmistress and she was yelling at him that he was a blithering idiot.

Apparently he had to find that menace Peeves and then escort the children to safety while the ‘real’ staff of Hogwarts protected the school. Argus didn’t even bother not to grumble about the unfairness of saving the pure-blood Slytherin snobs first. If anyone deserved to be stuck in the castle during a battle, it was them. Some nasty little Slytherin princess, who had previously compared him to a glorified house-elf, was apparently to be at the head of the line.

By the time Argus had escorted all of the students out of the school and to safety, he had made up his mind. Hogwarts had become his home and he would be damned if some Death Eaters mucked it up. Armed with only a torch and a heavy poker that he’d borrowed from the Hog’s Head, Argus marched back through the corridor, escorting a rather annoying Mrs Longbottom who wouldn’t shut up about her grandson.

Once back in the castle, Argus called for Mrs Norris. The Weasley twins may know most of the secret passageways, but there still were only two of them. Mrs Norris was put on the task of patrolling corridors and sounding the alarm should any Death Eater be sighted. Argus silently thanked Arabella, as he had many times, for the wonderful gift of his cat.

Next, Argus ran off to the broom cupboards grabbing a bucket of water and a good deal of soap. He hurried over to the library that Madam Pince had been trying to put up more protective charms on. She’d also lined up a few rather vicious looking books that Argus recognized as being for Hagrid’s third years. Madam Pince gave him a grim smile and said, “These books can look after themselves.”

He smiled in return and dumped the soapy water in front of the library doors. “That ought to give ‘em some trouble too.”

Madam Pince gave him a grateful smile and then hurried off to further secure the library’s walls. Before he could follow Irma, Argus heard Mrs Norris yowling. Brandishing his poker, Argus used the secret-passageways and was there within moments. The surprised Death Eater hadn’t even raised his wand before he’d been smashed over the head with the iron poker and crumpled to the floor. Not knowing what else to do with him, Argus dragged him off to the dungeons where he shackled the unconscious man and cheerfully snapped his wand.

He hurried back out into the fray only to find that there were now Death Eaters all over the place. He broke the nose of one who was threatening the Weasley girl. Ginny quickly disarmed the man and even said a quick “Thanks” before rushing off, leaving Argus to tie up another unconscious body. Just as he was finishing the last knots a voice cackled behind him. He turned to see a wand pointed in his face but before any incantation was uttered a flash of fur hit the Death Eater in the face, clawing off the mask and leaving sizeable gashes in the cheek of Avery.

It gave Argus just enough time to break Avery’s wand arm. Decades of scrubbing the floors of Hogwarts by hand had built up some muscle. Dean Thomas grabbed the dropped wand and ropes shot out of it, effectively binding Avery. Argus cracked him over the skull with the poker; he’d realized a tied Death Eater could easily be freed. A Death Eater with a cracked skull was a danger to no one.

Two more Death Eaters came around a corner. Argus knew there was no escaping this time. He and Mrs Norris could not take on two armed Death Eaters. However, just when he thought all was lost, Peeves swooped in and dropped a rather heavy bust on one of the two men. A well aimed kick from Firenze caught the other as he galloped past, carrying what looked like a spear borrowed from a suit of armour. Firenze handed off a mace to Argus and continued down the hallway. Then Argus heard Mrs Norris screeching and he knew she must be in trouble.

Armed with both poker and mace he quickly found his cat. A Death Eater was laughing as he kicked her. Argus flew into a rage, swinging the mace he hit the attacker in the back of the head, shouting, “NO ONE HURTS MY CAT!”

He removed the mask to see that it was Rodolphus Lestrange, the man who had boasted of burning down Black Magic and murdering Marius Black so many years ago. Anger still coursing through him, Argus smashed Rodolphus’s face with the mace until it was no longer recognizable.

Mrs Norris finally brought him back to reality. She was hurt badly and meowing pitifully. Argus cradled her in his arms as tears began to spill down his cheeks. It was only a few minutes before Voldemort’s voice could be heard, making his ultimatum. Argus carried Mrs Norris down to the Great Hall. None of the Healers, not even Poppy could find the time to spare for a cat.

It was Luna Lovegood who walked up to him and offered to help. Argus couldn’t find words to express his gratitude. Luna managed to heal Mrs Norris’s broken ribs and fixed the gashes too. She also insisted on looking after some of Argus’s injuries. He hadn’t been aware that he had any until she mentioned it.

When the battle resumed, Mrs Norris had been carefully hidden in her basket while her owner went in search of Rabastan Lestrange ready to send him to the same fate as his brother.

*


It was nearly a month later when Kingsley Shacklebolt had organized the new ministry sufficiently to have a ceremony to honour those who had fought in the battle of Hogwarts. The ceremony was held on the Hogwarts grounds on a bright sunny day. A memorial had been erected with the names of those who had fallen inscribed.

The crowd gathered at Hogwarts was enormous. Argus was quite certain that half of Wizarding Britain was crammed onto the grounds. The centaurs had declined individual recognition, but had elected to have Firenze accept the Order of Merlin on behalf of his entire herd. The house-elves had made a similar request, choosing Kreacher as their representative. Next, Grawp and Hagrid were presented with Orders of Merlin.

Each of the Hogwarts teachers were called upon, followed by an enormous group of Weasleys, other members of the Order of the Phoenix, students who were members of Dumbledore’s Army and finally, the name ‘Argus Filch’ was called.

Argus was shocked. No one had told him that he would be receiving any sort of recognition for his efforts in the battle. He’d just expected to be stuck cleaning up after the celebration. He shuffled up towards the podium as Kingsley said, “For your assistance in safely evacuating the students of Hogwarts, aiding in the protection of the school, disarming at least three Death Eaters and saving the lives of at least two students and probably many others, the British Ministry of Magic, awards you with the Order of Merlin, First Class.”

Argus couldn’t believe that he was shaking hands with the Minister of Magic and being presented with the highest Wizarding honour, an honour that had never before been conferred upon a Squib. He made his way back down through the crowd as if in a daze. As he headed towards the castle, Cornelius came up to him and extended his hand, “I know I don’t deserve it, but I’d like to shake your hand.”

Argus looked at him suspiciously but decided to offer his own hand. Cornelius continued, “I’ve been a fool for many years, I should always have been proud to have you for a brother. You’re a better man than I. I hope you can forgive me. My wife and I would like to have you over for dinner soon, if you’ll agree to come.”

Argus was quite certain that he must be dreaming, but the dream certainly seemed real. He dumbly nodded his head, unable to fully believe the words he was hearing. Cornelius was playing with his bowler, obviously feeling awkward.

“Would you care to come in for a cup of tea, after this ceremony is over? I suppose we have a lot of catching up to do.” said Argus.

Cornelius grinned, looking much more like the boy Argus remembered. “I’d be honoured.”

After the ceremony finally ended Cornelius asked, almost in awe, “Did you really break Avery’s arm and crack his skull?”

Argus grinned slyly. “Just doin’ my job.”

“Yes, well Mum keeps crying she’s so happy and Father’s been proudly telling anyone who’ll listen that you defended Hogwarts armed with nothing but a poker.

“I had a mace too. That’s how I killed one of the Lestranges.”

It had been many years since Cornelius had given Argus that look of admiration. The two brothers slowly made their way up to the castle together.