Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Dursleys, Meet The Wizarding World by Ghoul In Pajamas

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I'm borrowing the characters from J.K. Rowling, once again. Enjoy!
Dudley woke up late the following morning to the sound of his father’s loud complaints. Groaning, Dudley rolled over and tried to understand what Vernon was saying. However, as loud as Vernon was, he was three floors below Dudley, who could only pick up a few words: “your lot”, “never”, and “dangerous”.

Dudley rose sleepily from bed, pulled on some clothes and stuffed his list of questions into his pocket, hoping Dedalus would be back. Then he left the room, curious about what Vernon was fighting with Hestia about now. But it was not Hestia who pierced Vernon with an angry stare at the foot of the stairs.

The old, frail-looking witch was wearing an enormous, hideous hat and clothes that looked as if they’d come from another century. She swung her wand threateningly at Vernon, and the large red handbag that was draped over her arm swung violently, nearly hitting him several times.

“I have offered you the safety of my home, and you thank me by insulting my family and warning me to stay away from yours? How dare you?” Her words were like ice.

“I am simply trying to protect my family from your lot.”

“Can’t we just forget this and try”” Dedalus spluttered, stepping between them but being knocked out of the way by Mrs. Longbottom’s handbag.

“You are so ignorant! We are not the ones you need protecting from!” shouted Mrs. Longbottom, with more force than Dudley would ever have expected from the old woman.

“Don’t even bother with him,” said Hestia, poking her head out from the kitchen door.

“I can see we’ve all gotten off to a great start,” remarked Dudley, noticing that some of Hestia’s sarcasm had worn off on him. Everyone looked at Dudley, who was still standing on the bottom step of the staircase, seeming to notice him for the first time.

“It’s about time you woke up,” said Dedalus. “Dudley, this is Ms. Longbottom.”

“Dudley shook her hand and said, “Thanks for letting us stay here; we really appreciate it.” Vernon’s eyes narrowed.

Ms. Longbottom looked surprised; Dudley assumed she expected him to be like his father.

“It is no problem. I can’t do much for the Order, not like my son used to, but I like to help where I can. You look to be about my grandson’s age, how old are you?”

“I’m seventeen, ma’am,” said Dudley. He didn’t usually make much of an effort to be polite, but Ms. Longbottom looked like someone who expected it.

“Neville’s age, exactly!” she exclaimed. “Neville is a great boy, very much like his father, my son. He’s off at Hogwarts, now, leading the students in a revolt against the Carrows. Can you imagine, Death Eaters teaching at Hogwarts?” Her voice was full of pride; Dudley recognized it as the same tone that his parents used when they bragged about him. Her argument with Vernon forgotten, Ms. Longbottom began telling Dudley and Dedalus about what was going on at Hogwarts and how Neville and his friends were trying to stop it.

“Breakfast is ready,” said Hestia, several minutes later.

Dudley was amazed by what he saw in the kitchen. Pots and pans, suspended in mid-air, were being served by spatulas held by no one. Bacon soared precariously across the room and landed on plates while milk bottles poured themselves into six glasses. In the sink, a floating sponge was already washing several pans.

Dudley realized his mouth was hanging wide open and quickly closed it. Petunia, who seemed to have been helping Hestia in the kitchen, grabbed two plates and took them into the dining room. It was lucky she brought dad his plate, thought Dudley, because he would never have eaten it had he seen how it was prepared.

Vernon ate so quickly he had finished and already started up the stairs before everyone was sitting.

Ms. Longbottom sat down and said, “As much as I’d like to have a nice, quiet breakfast, there are some things we must discuss immediately. Dedalus told me that the charm I used on the door closed before he came in, and this worries me. I have performed that charm dozens of times before and I’ve never done it wrong. It’s a terrifying thought, but is there a way someone could have followed you in, invisible or otherwise disguised?”

Petunia looked terrified as she asked shakily. “Followed? How could we have been followed without knowing?”

“For witches and wizards, there are many ways,” said Dedalus, “but we have been monitoring you very closely. I don’t see how anyone could have followed us from the Weasley’s or Apparated with us.”

“They didn’t have time to follow us after arriving, either,” said Hestia. “Not two minutes after we Apparated into the field, we were already inside.”

“It still makes me wonder,” Ms. Longbottom sighed. “Until we learn why it didn’t work properly, we should all keep our guards up in the house.”

“So, where did you have to go so suddenly?” asked Dedalus.

“There have been some issues with Frank and Alice at St. Mungo’s. Don’t worry, they’re okay,” she said at Dedalus’ concerned look. “Ever since You-Know-Who took over the Ministry, he’s had control over St. Mungo’s as well. Frank and Alice have never been a trouble before, but now that he’s in charge, they’ve been sending Owls about them misbehaving several days a week.”

“That’s terrible!” said Hestia.

Dudley knew who Frank and Alice were, from the newspaper clippings, but his mum looked confused.

“If you don’t mind me asking, who are Frank and Alice?” asked Petunia.

“Oh, how rude of me,” said Ms. Longbottom. “You and Dudley must be very confused. Frank and Alice are my son and daughter-in-law. They were in the Order during the first war, but were tortured to insanity by several Death Eaters.” She said this matter-of-factly, but her eyes had begun to water. “They have been at St. Mungo’s ever since, and I’ve raised their son, Neville.”

“I am so sorry,” said Petunia. She said this very honestly, unlike when she consoled her neighbors in order to hear gossip.

“Thank you. Anyway, I’ve been looking into other hospitals, away from You-Know-Who, and I haven’t decided between Merlin’s Magical Hospital in Sydney or the Salem Hospital for Witches and Wizards in Massachusetts.”

“Do you know when you’ll be moving them?” asked Hestia.

“Well, that’s what makes it a little complicated. I didn’t think moving them would be a problem until a few weeks ago. I’ve been getting Owls every other day, claiming that they’ve been wandering the hallways or attacking the Healers. They’ve always been classified as harmless, but they’ve been reclassified as ‘Potentially Harmful to Others’, a big load of tosh that is!”

“It sounds like the sooner you move them, the better,” said Dedalus.

“That’s just the problem; I don’t know if I’ll be allowed to move them. Now that they’re considered dangerous, I need the Head Healer to approve it, and I don’t know if that’s a possibility.”

“We just need a plan,” said Hestia. “I’ll help you get them out! Those bloody Healers don’t know how to use a Shield Charm to save their lives!”

“I’m here to help, as well!” said Dedalus.

“Thank you, both of you, but I hope it doesn’t come to that,” said Ms. Longbottom.

Dudley had been listening with rapt attention to their conversation, both interested in what Ms. Longbottom was saying but anxious to ask his own questions. When he saw his chance, he said, “I read some things about the Wizarding World last night, and I have a lot of questions, if you don’t mind answering.”

“Of course not!” said Dedalus.

“What are your questions?” asked Ms. Longbottom.

Dudley pulled the list from his pocket and flattened it out on the table. He skipped the first note, which said ‘Who are Bellatrix Lestrange and Frank and Alice Longbottom?’ They had already answered that one. He skipped to the second note, reading aloud ‘What is the Chamber of Secrets?’

“The Chamber of Secrets?” asked Hestia. “Where did you hear about that?”

“One of Neville’s walls is covered with newspaper clippings and photos, and I was curious so I read them, but they didn’t all make sense. I hope it’s okay that I read them, Ms. Longbottom.”

“Oh, it’s perfectly alright,” she said. “Neville’s been collecting those for years; I’m not sure why, but at least it did someone some good. As for the Chamber of Secrets, Dedalus and I can tell you a lot about that!”

“That’s just a myth!” said Hestia.

“That’s what the professors wanted us to think,” said Dedalus. “But Augusta and I were there the first time it was opened.”

“Yes, and Neville was in his second year when it was opened again, so I heard all about that from him.”

Dedalus and Augusta explained to Dudley, Hestia, and Petunia about the founders of Hogwarts, Slytherin creating the Chamber, the girl who was killed the first time, and Ginny Weasley disappearing the second. Though they didn’t know all of the details, it was common knowledge that Harry and Ron were involved, and Neville told Ms. Longbottom that Gryffindor suddenly had another four hundred points the next day.

Dudley went down his list, asking about everything from Sirius Black to the Department of Mysteries, from the Tri-Wizard Challenge to Professor Umbridge. Dedalus, Hestia, and Ms. Longbottom were good people to talk to, because Dedalus and Hestia knew things through the Order and Neville told Ms. Longbottom what was going on at Hogwarts. They were even learning things from each other, often discussing, arguing, and going off on tangents that Dudley didn’t understand (though they would explain later).

Petunia was getting involved in the conversation, too, asking them many questions. Even after Dudley finished his list, he had come up with many more questions and continued to ask those. At one o’clock, their conversation was still going strong, when Vernon came thudding down the stairs, looking for lunch.

He seemed disgusted by the notion that Petunia and Dudley had been downstairs talking with them all that time, and started grumbling about family loyalty and respect.

Ms. Longbottom stood up, offering to bring sandwiches and soup for lunch. Hestia quickly followed her into the other room.

Vernon sat down at the table, looking cross and still mumbling angrily under his breath. Dedalus left the room, saying he was going to help Ms. Longbottom and Hestia.

“Been having a nice chat, have you?” asked Vernon.

“I just had a few questions for them”about the war and stuff,” said Dudley.

“Like their answers mean anything. It’s all a load of codswallop!” Vernon raised his voice as his face started purpling.

“They have information we don’t, about the war and You-Know-Who. He’s chasing us; it would be irresponsible not to find out why!”

“They’re lying!” Vernon proclaimed wildly.

“What?”

“How do we even know this You-Know-Who person exists? They haven’t shown us proof!”

“What do you expect them to do? Invite him for tea so we can see him?” asked Dudley sarcastically.

“If this is such a big threat to the world, we would have heard of him from someone other than them!”

“No, we wouldn’t! Muggles don’t know about him! How many witch or wizard friends do you have?”

“None, thank you very much!” Vernon said, seemingly offended by the notion of his having a witch or wizard friend. “But there still would have been some sign that he exists!”

“What about when his death eaters came into the apartment in Paris and tried to kill us?” Dudley suggested.

“We don’t know those were his people! It was right after Hestia said that Voldybert name, or whatever it was! Maybe that was a signal for them to come in!”

“You are being ridiculous!” shouted Dudley, who was glad that his dad couldn’t remember the name, Voldemort.

“Am I?” asked Vernon in feigned surprise, standing and knocking back the chair. “Am I the ridiculous one, when you two are in here chatting with their lot?”

“Dad, we are learning about the Wizarding World in order to protect ourselves! Someone is after us, and we have a right to know why!” Dudley was now standing, too.

“Petunia, are you listening to him?” Vernon said, turning to face her. “These people have gotten into his head, and they’re getting into yours, too!”

“They’re not getting into our heads!” she said. “You’re just paranoid!”

“Do you realize, Petunia, that this lot is the same one your sister was in? And her crazy husband, and now Harry? We said we were going to stop this! If this weren’t for your freak of a sister landing us with Harry””

“Don’t call my sister a freak!” screamed Petunia. “I’ve spent too many years pretending I hated Lily because she was a witch!”

“What the bloody hell are you talking about?” asked Vernon. “Of course it was because she was a witch! Why else would””

“Because I’m NOT a witch!” shouted Petunia. “I was jealous! When she got her letter, I wanted nothing more than to go to Hogwarts with her, to learn to do magic with her, ride a broom, make potions. I couldn’t go, so instead I just pretended that being a witch was a terrible thing, when I wanted nothing more in the world than to be one!” Tears streaked down her face and she slumped back in her chair, as if a great weight had been lifted from her shoulders.

Vernon was absolutely dumbfounded. He simply stood there, his mouth hanging open, ready to yell but with no sound coming out. Dudley had heard all of this from his mum before, but never with so much emotion.

“These people are freaks,” Vernon said quietly, looking to Dudley, as if for reassurance.

“No, dad, they’re not.”

At lunch, Dudley was the one who ate his meal quickly and left. There had been too much drama for him and he wanted to go up to Neville’s room alone. After a tiring journey up three flights of stairs, Dudley was happy to find that the doorknob worked on the first attempt.

He walked across the room to the large window overlooking the valley. It was a bright, sunny day outside, one that even Dudley could appreciate. Dudley watched the tall yellow-green grass sway gently in the field. Suddenly, a person popped into sight in the middle of the field, someone that hadn’t been there before. The tall, black boy in a dark cloak checked over his shoulder cautiously before sprinting toward the house.
Chapter Endnotes: Tell me what you think!