Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Dursleys, Meet The Wizarding World by Ghoul In Pajamas

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Hello! Make sure you’ve read the most recent chapter before reading this one! Mugglenet was having some technical issues a few months ago and I think a lot of my readers missed the update because of that. Either way, here’s this chapter! Enjoy!




Over the next month, Dudley’s magical skills progressed extensively, as he continued daily lessons. He had completely foregone all of his Muggle schoolwork since discovering he was a Wizard. In fact, he was so focused on his magic lessons that he hardly remembered the Muggle World existed at all.

He had never been so excited about learning in his life; he even practiced through the weekends and breaks in order to learn as much as he could. Before long, Dudley had mastered not only the levitation charm and the Knockback Jinx, but also Lumos, Nox,, and the Tongue-Tying Curse. He was becoming very good at Disarming and had just begun learning a Shield Charm, but had not yet been able to block a spell with Protego.

They had ceased most of their outdoor lessons, as it had become quite cold outside; however, some lessons were too destructive to be held indoors. They had gone outside to practice Expelliarmus, after a demonstration had resulted in Dean’s wand flying across the hall and shattering one of Mrs. Longbottom’s garish sculptures. Hestia had quickly repaired the sculpture with a wave of her wand, but thought it best to avoid any further damage.

His magic lessons were a good change of pace for everyone, as they all had something to be excited about. Dean and Dedalus cheered Dudley enthusiastically each time he learned a new skill, Hestia no longer complained that she hadn’t joined the Order to babysit, and Mrs. Longbottom, who lived alone except for Hogwarts holidays, seemed happy to have company. Even Petunia, who had hardly spoken for months, was joining conversation with the witches and wizards, returning to her gossiping ways as she learned about the big names in the Wizarding World.

They had also been getting very heavily into the Christmas spirit, which lightened everyone’s mood but Vernon’s. Though Vernon had always enjoyed Christmas—especially during the last six holidays when Harry stayed at school—he was not happy about it this year. Mrs. Longbottom could talk of little else than her grandson, Neville, who would be coming home on the Hogwarts Express for the holidays. In addition to his wariness that an additional wizard even further outnumbered them, Vernon didn’t approve of Neville’s leading a rebellion at school, constantly grumbling that he was some trouble-making hoodlum.

Vernon also disapproved highly of the decorations, as they had been hung using magic. Luckily, he had only seen Hestia shooting garland from the tip of her wand, and hadn’t noticed Dudley performing a Levitation Charm to hang ornaments on the tree.

Thus far, they had managed to keep the secret from Vernon, who spent most of his time in his room since, as he put it, this lot had turned his family against him. There had been several close-calls though – Vernon had to come downstairs for meals, after all. Once, while Hestia was teaching him the Bat-Bogey Hex, Dudley only just managed to hide his wand under the table as Vernon came in. Another time, Dedalus was giving a lesson and Vernon walked in and caught them talking about the spell in detail. –Why would you be teaching my son that?” he had thundered, though eventually Dedalus convinced him he had been speaking hypothetically.

The closest call came when Vernon came downstairs to find Dudley in the middle of casting a leg-locker jinx on Dean, wand held aloft. As anyone could have imagined, Vernon blew up, while Dudley tried to convince him that Dean had dropped it and Dudley was just handing it back to him. –You shouldn’t even touch one of those evil things!” Vernon had shouted, as Dudley walked over to Dean and handed him the wand. Dean, who couldn’t move for the leg-locker curse, smiled back at Vernon coolly, leaning against the wall for support. Vernon grumbled for another moment before going into the kitchen.

Dudley and Dean were sitting in the parlor one morning practicing an Engorging Charm when a silver light streaked by in the foyer. Recognizing the Patronus, they jumped from their chairs and followed it into the kitchen, where they just missed the message it had carried, as the white light disappeared.

–What happened?” asked Dean quickly.

–The Order’s coming this afternoon to pick up the Snatcher, finally,” said Mrs. Longbottom. She had become quite unhappy that the man had been locked in her basement for so long.

–Great!” said Dean excitedly. Dudley thought Dean’s excitement was for Mrs. Longbottom’s sake. –Excuse me,” he said, leaving the room suddenly.

–What will they do with him?” asked Dudley.

–Word is they’ve worked out some deal with his gang,” said Hestia. –They have Ted Tonks, one of the Order member’s dads, in custody. Normally they would have turned him over to the Ministry by now for their gold, but I guess something’s stopping them.”

–What do you mean, something’s stopping them?”

–I don’t know, Dudley,” she said. –It’s for security. We each only know what we need to know. That way if someone gets captured, they can’t tell all of the Order’s secrets.”

Dudley nodded, still curious about what would happen to the Snatcher. He had become almost a second Taboo in the house, in addition to Voldemort’s name. No one wanted to talk about him: Dedalus and Hestia were tense because they had disagreed on how to handle him, Mrs. Longbottom was bitter that he was still in her house, and everyone else was afraid to mention him. It would be refreshing for him to be gone.

Dudley walked back to the parlor, expecting to find Dean, but he was gone. Dudley looked in every room downstairs, and even out on the porch, though it was freezing outside, but he was nowhere to be found. He glanced at the door to the basement-they had just been talking about the Snatcher-but the door was locked.

He walked up the three flights of stairs to the attic bedroom he and Dean shared. Dean had his backpack out on his bed and was packing his few possessions inside it roughly. He stopped when he saw Dudley at the door.

–Er…you going somewhere?” asked Dudley.

–I don’t know,” said Dean awkwardly. –I hope so. I was planning on talking to whatever Order member shows up, see if I can join. I’d like a chance to do something other than run and hide.” He looked embarrassed.

–That’s brilliant,” said Dudley. He hoped he sounded sincere; his first thought was that he didn’t want Dean to go, now that he finally had a friend his age. He wouldn’t say this to Dean, though.

–I might just make a fool of myself,” he said. –I’ve already asked Hestia and Dedalus to take me with them to a meeting, or at least mention me to someone in the Order, so they know I want to help, but they won’t do it.”

–Why not?” Dudley was surprised. Hestia and Dedalus always made it sound as though the Order needed all the help it could get.

–They say the Order won’t let me in because I didn’t finish Hogwarts,” said Dean bitterly. –That’s bloody crap though if you ask me. I’m of age, and it’s not like I had the choice to go back to Hogwarts this year anyway!” He threw a pair of socks rather violently into his backpack.

–Well maybe whoever comes today will think you can help,” said Dudley encouragingly.

–That’s what I’m hoping,” said Dean. –Hey, don’t say anything to anyone else, will you? I don’t want them to try and stop me.”

–Our secret,” said Dudley, as he left Dean to finish packing.




Dean came back downstairs a few minutes later, hiding the backpack behind him as he peeked around the corner. When he saw that Dudley was alone in the parlor, he quickly shoved the backpack under a chair. They spent the rest of the morning continuing to practice the charm and did not bring up Dean’s plan again. By the time a knock came on the front door, Dudley had been able to produce a dim blue light on the end of his wand, but hadn’t made the thimble he was practicing on any larger.

They stood up and walked into the foyer, where Mrs. Longbottom had opened the door to a graying man whose clothes were covered in rips and patches.

–Remus,” said Mrs. Longbottom, her wand raised. –Tell me about the first time you met my grandson.”

–I was asleep on the Hogwarts Express, in the same compartment with several students, including Mr. Longbottom, when a dementor came in looking for Sirius Black. I drove the dementor away and gave the students chocolates.”

–Yes, exactly,” said Mrs. Longbottom approvingly, as if the man had just passed a test. Then, Dudley realized, it had been a test; the Order members always asked questions to verify identities.

–Professor Lupin!” said Dean excitedly.

–Mr. Thomas, I didn’t expect to see you here,” he said, shaking Dean’s hand.

Just then, Hestia and Dedalus came into the foyer. –Remus, how are you?” said Hestia, hugging him. –How’s Tonks?”

–Good. Everyone’s well, thank you, considering,” said Remus briefly. –I’m sorry to be short, but I do have to grab the Snatcher and run, unfortunately, so much to do.”

–Of course,” said Hestia, –he’s in the basement, I’ll get him now.”

–Professor Lupin,” said Dean as soon as Hestia had disappeared into the basement, –could I speak to you for a moment, please?”

Everyone turned to Dean, Mrs. Longbottom with a surprised expression and Dedalus with one of understanding, but Professor Lupin nodded and followed him into the dining room. Dedalus looked as though he was about to follow them, but Dudley jumped in.

–Dedalus, I haven’t shown you my Engorgement Charm yet!” he said with fake excitement, hoping to distract Dedalus. He pulled his wand and the thimble out of his pocket and said –Engorgio!” His wand lit feebly for a moment before distinguishing, while the thimble remained the same exact size. Dudley looked up at Dedalus, embarrassed, but he was staring at the door to the dining room.

–Yes, yes, wonderful job!” said Dedalus. He clearly had not watched Dudley perform the charm, as it most certainly was not a ‘wonderful job.’

–What is going on?” demanded Mrs. Longbottom.

–I think the boy is trying to join the Order,” said Dedalus. –He told Hestia and me a few weeks ago he was interested.”

–Well, good for him,” said Mrs. Longbottom approvingly.

–But he’s so young,” said Dedalus. –He hasn’t even finished Hogwarts.”

–He’s of age, and he was trained by Harry Potter, like my Neville,” she said, as if this closed the matter. –And don’t forget, we may not have even made it out of St. Mungo’s without his help.”

Dedalus seemed ready to argue further but Dean and Remus came back, Dean smiling broadly as he ran to the parlor and pulled his backpack out from under the chair.

–Looks like I’m taking more than just the Snatcher,” said Remus.

–Are you sure this is a good idea?” implored Dedalus.

–He knows what he’s getting into,” said Remus tersely. –If he wants to help the Order, we’re happy to have him.”

–Thank you for everything, Mrs. Longbottom,” he said. –Tell Neville I said hi.”

–You watch out for yourself, Dean,” she ordered, patting him on the shoulder in a surprising display of affection.

–Dudley, sorry I won’t be able to finish your lessons,” said Dean, shaking his hand.

–No worries,” said Dudley. –Stay safe.”

Hestia came back upstairs with the Snatcher as Dean was saying goodbye to Dedalus and Petunia. –I see I’ve missed something,” she said. She looked at Dean crossly for a moment before passing the Snatcher to Remus and giving Dean a hug. –Sneaky boy, going over our heads.”

–Sorry to break this up, but we really have to go,” said Remus. They both waved as they walked outside and Side-Apparated with the Snatcher to who-knows-where.




Two days later, Mrs. Longbottom Apparated to King’s Cross Station to meet Neville at the Hogwarts Express. Neville was not the short, round-faced boy Dudley had seen in the pictures. He was tall and carried himself awkwardly, as though he’d just grown several inches rapidly and didn’t know how to handle the new height yet. He had a large bandage over his left eye, but was smiling broadly as he and his grandmother walked into the house.

–Everyone, this is my grandson, Neville,” said Mrs. Longbottom, throwing her chest out proudly as she showed him off. –Neville, this is Hestia Jones and Dedalus Diggle of the Order. And this is Petunia Dursley and her son, Dudley. They’re Harry Potter’s aunt and nephew.” Not surprisingly, Vernon was nowhere to be seen.

Neville greeted and shook everyone’s hand. –Nice to meet you all,” he said.

–Your grandmother has been telling us all about you,” said Dedalus. –She’s very proud of you.”

–Oh, well, great,” said Neville, sounding almost surprised as he looked at Mrs. Longbottom. He turned to the Dursleys. –You’re Harry’s family?” he asked. –I’m sorry, I don’t think I remember him talking about you.”

Dudley almost laughed, as this wasn’t the first time he’d received this reaction.

–It’s very complicated,” Mrs. Longbottom explained. –They’re the Muggles who raised him. Except it turns out Dudley isn’t a Muggle, after all.” Neville scrunched his eyebrows in confusion.

–Also, Dudley’s father – you won’t see him unless there’s food on the table– doesn’t know that Dudley’s a Wizard, so we’re keeping it quiet,” said Hestia, further adding to the confusion.

–And you’ve just missed Dean Thomas,” added Mrs. Longbottom.

–Dean was here? Is he okay?”

–Yes, he’s gone off to help the Order,” said Mrs. Longbottom.

–Oh, good,” said Neville. –Seamus has been worried about him. I’ll tell him after the holidays.”

–Yes, now go get yourself unpacked and cleaned up,” said Mrs. Longbottom, pushing Neville toward the stairs. –We’ll be having a nice dinner tonight. Also, you’re sharing your room with Dudley, so don’t be surprised by the second bed.”

Dudley went into the parlor and continued practicing his Engorgement Charm. He had improved on it since Dean left, managing to enlarge the thimble, but it always returned to its normal size a few seconds later. When he heard someone coming down the stairs, he hid his wand quickly between the sofa cushions, but a moment later it was Neville, not Vernon, who poked his head in.

–Oh, hey,” said Neville. –Sorry I didn’t mean to-”

–No, I just- I was making sure you weren’t my dad,” said Dudley, pulling the wand back out.

Neville nodded, then stood in the doorway, as if he couldn’t decide whether to come in. Finally, the curiosity seemed to have gotten the best of him and he said, –So you used to think you were a Muggle?”

–Well, yeah,” said Dudley. –You grandmother is the one who figured I was a Wizard, actually.”

–And you’re learning now?” asked Neville curiously, walking into the room and taking a seat. –What spell are you working on?”

–The Engorgement Charm,” said Dudley. –Dean started teaching me before he left but I just can’t really get it. Watch.” He pointed at the thimble and said, –Engorgio!” Once again, the thimble expanded for a few seconds and shrunk back down to its original size.

–Well, that’s close,” said Neville encouragingly, leaning forward. –Try it this way though: don’t point your wand right on top of it as you cast the charm, but give it a little space.” Neville drew his wand and pointed it at the thimble. –Engorgio!” A circle of blue light shot from the tip of Neville’s wand and expanded steadily, until it encased the thimble. Once the thimble was inside, the thimble grew too, until Neville let it go. –See, you let the charm grow a little before you try to include the thimble in it.”

Neville then shrunk the thimble back to its original size. Dudley followed Neville’s directions and was successful on the first try, the thimble now large enough to fit on a giant’s finger.

–You did it!” said Neville.

–Thanks! I never would have tried doing it that way!”

–So did Dean get to the Shrinking Charm?” asked Neville.

With Neville teaching him, Dudley managed to shrink the thimble back to size, and began Engorging and Shrinking various items around the room, until Hestia came to tell them dinner was ready. Neville and Dudley followed her into the kitchen, where they helped bring food into the dining room (Neville levitated the ham while Dudley carried the plate of potatoes, in case his dad showed up).

Mrs. Longbottom spent dinner filling Neville in on everything that had happened there (conveniently leaving out any reference to Dudley’s newfound magical powers), while Neville told everyone what was happening at Hogwarts. Though Mrs. Longbottom had already told them some of the details, based on what came in Neville’s letters, it was worse than Dudley had imagined. He had idealized Hogwarts as such an incredible, magical place, but it had become a nightmare under the rule of the Carrows.

Neville was optimistic though. –Luna Lovegood and Ernie MacMillan broke a couple of fourth-year Hufflepuffs out of detention last week. They were in trouble for not being able to cast the Cruciatus Curse, can you imagine?”

–They’re teaching the Cruciatus Curse at Hogwarts?” asked Dedalus, scandalized.

–Yeah, it’s compulsory for third years and up,” said Neville gravely. –Third- through fifth-years learn it on bugs and animals, while sixth- and seventh-years have to do it on other students.”

Dedalus and Hestia were too shocked to say anything.

–What’s the Cruciatus Curse?” asked Dudley, after a long silence. –I remember hearing it before.”

–The torture curse,” said Neville. –It’s one of the Unforgiveable Curses. Unforgiveables used to mean life in Azkaban, before You-Know-Who took over.”

–Dudley, it’s the one used on Frank and Alice,” said Mrs. Longbottom. Neville quickly looked at his plate. –That’s why you’ve heard of it.”

–Oh, right,” said Dudley, wishing he hadn’t asked.

Vernon, who had barely acknowledged Neville when he introduced himself earlier and had remained silent throughout the dinner, stood suddenly, grumbled something about torture being indecent dinner conversation, and left.

–Isn’t he a pleasure?” asked Hestia loudly before Vernon was out of earshot.

Neville laughed and the mood lightened. The rest of the dinner had easier conversation, as they described Dudley’s magic lessons, laughed about how Dudley had accidentally Side-Apparated to St. Mungo’s with Dean, and complained about Vernon. By the end of the evening, Neville was completely caught up on how Dudley learned he was a Wizard and why no one was telling Vernon.

They walked upstairs to the attic for the night and, as they settled into their beds, Neville said, –Hey, Dudley.”

–Yeah?”

–Thanks for helping my mum and dad at St. Mungo’s.”

Dudley tried to say something, but it caught it his throat, as he thought about how hard it would be for Neville, growing up without his parents. Despite how he’d been feeling about his father lately, Dudley couldn’t imagine his childhood without him.

–Don’t mention it,” said Dudley finally.




The Christmas Holiday passed quickly, as Neville happily took over the charms lessons. As much as Dudley had liked Dean, Neville was a far better teacher. Whenever Dudley had trouble with something, Dean would tell him to just keep trying; Neville would watch him carefully and explain how to improve it, and Dudley started picking charms up in no time.

Neville also started teaching him about Herbology. He was genuinely upset when the others explained that they weren’t teaching it because it wasn’t a top defense skill. –What do you mean, it’s not a good defense skill? How would you defend yourself if I threw a fully-grown Mandrake at you?”

Dudley didn’t see the importance of Herbology either, and learning the names of plants reminded him of Muggle Biology class, but Neville was so excited that he never complained.

Two weeks later, Neville left for the Hogwarts Express. Dudley was sad to see him go; with both Dean and Neville gone, he would be alone again without someone his age. He had forgotten how important that was in the months they spent in Paris, but he knew he’d miss them.




Thanks for reading! I hope you liked this chapter! Did you enjoy Neville’s appearance? (I had to throw him in the story – I love Neville!) Let me know what you think of the direction the story is taking.