Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Christmas With The Order by star_sailor

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes:


A bitter, chilly wind had crept upon the coastline, pushing the now slow falling snow through the air until it silently, discretely fell to the ground. The waves off the nearby coast, with the freezing cold water of the ocean, washed upon the cliffside with the hypnotic rhythm only they could provide.

"Oh Bill, not yet! That is for everyone, and it still 'as to cook," Fleur said reassuringly.

Bill had been licking his lips, pacing in the kitchen, constantly examining the ham that was being cooked in the oven. He shook with anticipation, though he couldn't help it. His craving for meat was almost unbearable, especially since it had only been a week since the last full moon. Even though he wasn't a true werewolf, his new instincts would bring themselves out of hiding on a predictable lunar schedule.

He fought back against his urges; he would hold them a little longer. He knew Fleur was saving his steak for last, since he preferred his meat rare and bloody. The scar across his face tingled slightly.


"Sorry, love. I still can't believe we were able to organize this."

"But everyone wanted it, and we were the only ones with any safe place to do it," Fleur stated in her strong French accent.

"I know, I know. It just makes me nervous, is all. Charlie said that my whole family was being watched even more strictly because of the events that Ginny was involved in at Hogwarts. And after what happened to Ron..." Bill stopped short with a slight shudder.

"Oh Bill, the Snatchers are harassing everyone. They always give me a 'ard time when they see me in town, since they know I'm married to you."

"I'm sorry, darling," Bill apologized reluctantly and lowered his head. But Fleur came to him and embraced him in a hug.

"I wouldn't 'ave it any other way," she said as she kissed Bill.

"Where is Ron?" Fleur asked as she returned to her cooking, "Usually 'e would be here waiting. That boy eats so much."

"He said he wasn't feeling good, and that he was going to bed. I don't believe it for a second. He's still regretting leaving Harry."

"As 'e should! To just run away from them like that was not right."

"I'm not saying I agree with Ron leaving," Bill said defensively. "He should have stayed, that's a fact. But he didn't. He's here, and he's sorry. He would go back if he could, and that's more than another in his situation might say. But please don't mention anything about him being here to the others, will you?"

"Of course not! Imagine what kind of news that would be to 'ear on Christmas Eve."

A knock rattled on the door. Both Bill and Fleur couldn't help but to shake with nervousness. Bill entered the sitting room, drew his wand, and stood near the side of the door. "Who is it?" he called.

"Aberforth Dumbledore, brother of Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore. I am the Secret-Keeper for the residence of Fred and George Weasley, as well as Lee Jordan, and have been watching over the Boy Who Lived through Sirius Black's mirror."

Bill was wary. This could easily be a trick. Anything could be a trick these days. Nobody knew who in the Order may have been caught and Imperiused unless they were in constant contact. What was more, Bill himself had not seen Aberforth since the brief Order meeting after Albus' funeral, well over six months ago. This was exactly the reason Bill was against this gathering in the first place.

"What is your Patronus?" Bill called again.

"A goat, Weasley! A goat! Please, it is me. Nobody knows about the mirror. It's freezing out here."

"I don't believe you," Bill said with a shaky voice.

"Look out your bloody window, Weasley."

A blast of white light came from behind the drawn curtains. Hesitantly, Bill peered out the window to see the silvery figure of a mountain goat. He turned back to the door, unlocked it, and let the shivering Aberforth inside.

Aberforth was dressed in a light blue robe, and threw his jacket and hat on the nearby coat hanger before he raced to the fire for warmth. "Really, Weasley, you need to be more trusting."

"You know very well that nobody has heard from you since the funeral. And with Hogsmeade in the state that it's in..."

"You believe that the poor old Aberforth couldn't contend with a few useless Death Eaters and was put under the Imperius Curse?" he said accusingly. "Believe me, if the Death Eaters had caught me, your brothers would long since have been dead, not broadcasting that Potterwatch like they have been."

Bill knew this was true. How stupid of him to have suspected Aberforth. "I'm so sorry. This dinner just has me on edge."

"It's quite alright, Weasley. And happy Christmas Eve. Hello, Mrs. Weasley," he called to Fleur in the kitchen. Fleur waved at Aberforth and quickly resumed her activities. She wasn't very trusting of Aberforth either. But tonight's dinner was about trust and loyalty, and only those who were trustworthy and loyal members of the Order would be in attendance.

"Am I really the first to arrive?" Aberforth asked.

"Yes, though I'm sure the others will be here within the next five minutes. We planned everything very specifically, for obvious reasons. What is that?" Bill queried, now noticing a wrapped present in Aberforth's hand.

"Christmas present for you and Fleur from Rubeus," he said, raising the box slightly higher, "I wrapped it for him. I talk with him any time he comes down to the pub. He's mad, I tell you. He's trying to hold meetings with the students who want to resist Snape and He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. And taking trips to see that giant of his isn't making anything easier."

"I don't know, he is a bit rambunctious," Bill mentioned about Hagrid's half brother, "But Grawp seems much more well rounded now that Hagrid has taught it some English and manners. Though I guess when your brother handles dragons for a living, you have a bit of a skewed view on danger."

"Too true. I am sorry to hear that you have to be cooped up in your house," Aberforth said somberly.

"I think of it less as taking a leave of absence and more having an extended holiday with my new wife," Bill replied beaming.

"But I can only imagine it is unbearably boring for a curse-breaker to sit around the house all day."

"Before, I was just working in the offices at Gringotts in London. So I had no chance to be out in the fields doing anything productive anyway. Besides, I'd much rather be here helping the Order."

Another knock came to the door. Bill approached it as Fleur brought some of the food she had cooked to the table, nervously eying the door.

"Who is it?" Bill said, wand at the ready once again.

"Fred Weasley, son of Molly and Arthur Weasley, and brother of the Holey Saint."

With a sigh of relief, happiness flooding back into him, he opened the door and let his younger brother in, ruffling his fiery red hair, "Hey Fred."

"Hey everyone. Happy Christmas Eve," he greeted.

"Where is Lee Jordan?" Aberforth asked accusingly. Apparently he wasn't convinced Fred was himself. But Bill knew his own brother, and also knew nobody else would use a joke in such bad taste as their confirmation password. "He was supposed to come with you. Where is he?" Aberforth continued.

"You'll see, sir. Christmas surprise. It'll be a right laugh. And look what I brought," Fred added, brandishing a bottle of Firewhisky.

"What about George?" Fleur asked, "'Ow is he?"

"The curse was acting up, so he had to go to St. Mungo's. He says he would have gotten you all presents while in London, but he hadn't heard what you all wanted."

Nothing could stop to laugh that followed except the knock on the door only a mere moment later. "Who is it?"

"Remus Lupin, husband of Nymphadora Tonks, and a werewolf."

A second voice followed, "And I'm Nymphadora," the speaker coughed as if they were allergic to something, "Tonks. Metamorphamagus, and wife of Remus Lupin."

"Why is she here?" Aberforth spouted, "Don't trust it."

"Harry is the best hope we have. Trust him," said the man's voice.

"It's a boy," said the woman. Everyone sighed, for they knew well that only Order members knew of Nymphadora's pregnancy. Bill let the couple in. Remus looked particularly pale and rough, no doubt from the recent full moon. Regardless, he greeted Bill with a strong, happy handshake. Tonks had blue hair, a large stomach, and looked cold, but was glowing with beauty, and beaming as she entered, greeting everyone.

"Thanks for having us, Bill," Remus said, "It's a shame we all can't gather more often."

"Tonks, you look beautiful!" exclaimed Fleur, "How is the baby."

"It's more than perfect," Tonks replied, smiling even wider, "You can really feel everything it does. It really is a part of you. And anytime I morph, it moves! It can feel the changes."

"You shouldn't have come, Nymphadora. Apparition is bad for the baby," Aberforth chimed in.

Tonks scrunched her face up in annoyance of her first name, at the same time accidentally changing the tips of her hair briefly to a bright green. "It's the only time I've Apparated since the pregnancy. Once won't hurt."

"So is this everyone?" Fred asked.

"Kingsley may show up late," Bill noted, "but he said not to wait because the Ministry may be scheduling him to do something useless, as usual."

"Well it's good timing," Fleur said to the room, "because the food is all done. Everyone sit down."

"It looks great Fleur," Tonks said gluttonously eying the large ham in the center of the table as she took her seat next to Remus.

"Thank you. Come, Aberforth," Fleur added to Aberforth, somewhat grudgingly, when seeing he had not left his post at the fireplace. "All of us. Together." She put down the plate she was holding, which held Bill's barely cooked steak. It looked heavenly to Bill. He had the strangest urge to growl when he noticed Remus looking at it as well.

But Bill excused himself as everyone took their seats, and returned to the kitchen. He brought out a bottle of Elderflower Wine, and with difficulty, seven wine glasses. He gave one to each person, with a fair amount of wine, leaving a full glass at Kinglsey's empty seat for when he arrived.

Bill then returned to the kitchen and took a large goblet he had brought out for the occasion. Back at the table, he took Fred's bottle of Firewhisky and poured an ample amount into the large cup before sitting down. When everyone was settled, they turned their attention to him as he spoke.

"From well planned Apparition to berating you with personal questions, I think the security measures we have taken tonight signify the severity of the situation we're in. These days, a group of wonderful people can't even gather together to have a Christmas dinner without a struggle. We are most fortunate that we were able to join together this evening.

"This year... The last couple years have been tough," Bills admitted, his voice wavering slightly, though the entire table nodded in agreement. "We've all had our losses, and we've all shared a great deal. I can say with truthfulness, though remorse, that The Dark Lord is the figure smiling this Christmas Eve." Aberforth lowered his head, along with Fred, and Bill saw Tonks clutch Remus' hand. Bill continued, picking up the goblet of Firewhisky.

"But, here we are. We are the Order of the Phoenix. You will notice that all sitting at this table have been significantly involved with the Order, and have been actively participating however they can. But there are more of us who cannot be here: The rest of my family, the children at Hogwarts this year who have been rebelling against Severus Snape's establishment. And of course, my brother, Ron, Hermione Granger, and Harry Potter, which we are assured are still on the run from those who seek to do them harm."

Fred cheered loudly, shaking his fist in the air, as the others at the table chanted in unison, "Here, here!"

Bill continued, "In this goblet is Firewhisky, humbly donated by a certain rambunctious brother of mine." Fred offers a flamboyant bow from his seat. "Before we begin our meal, I will drink from this. I ask that you all share this cup with me. We will share this cup for all those loyal to the Order who sadly can not be here now: Molly, Arthur, George, Ginny, and Ron. Harry and Hermione. Lee Jordan, Dedalus Diggles, Sturgis Podmore and Hestia Jones. We share this cup to all those still loyal to Albus Dumbledore. And we share this cup for those loyal to peace."

Bill drank from the cup. The Firewhisky ran down his throat with a strong, hot kick, warming his body instantly. He passed the cup to Fred to his right, then to Aberforth, Remus, Tonks, and Fleur, before the cup returned. "Now, let's dig in."

Everyone quickly filled their plates full of food, talking happily, with no mention of the Ministry, or The Dark Lord, or even of Harry and the resistance. It was casual, and it was colloquial. The Order's business was to deal with The Dark Lord, but this was not a dinner where business needed to be discussed.

Aberforth was taking a hardy gulp of Firewhisky in his own cup as Tonks asked Fred, "So what's the spotlight like in the Wizarding Wireless world? I missed Potterwatch the last couple times."

"It's brilliant. Just like the old days, me, George, and Lee. Even Kingsley drops in every so often; he's almost become a regular lately. I'm telling you Lupin, you should drop by sometime and give it a go. We'd love to have you on the show."

"I love listening, Fred, but I don't think I'd be a good speaker. I will consider it sometime though, and let you know."

"That's the spirit!" Fred said, gleefully sipping his wine.

"I tell you, Fred, I'm wary about the show," remarked Aberforth. "I don't think it's wise to go parading around while the Wizarding Wireless waves are so strictly regulated. They'll find out somehow."

"Don't be such a sour sport, sir. As long as you're Secret-Keeper for our hideout, it will be all right. There's no way they can stop us if they can't even find us."

"I know... I'm just warning, is all," Aberforth said, apparently trying not to worry about the issue as much. "It just makes me nervous. I know Death Eaters are a right lot of fools, but surely they can be resourceful if they need to be. And I'm sure they haven't taken kindly to your pirate broadcasts."

"Well of course they haven't. That's half the fun!" Fred replied with a laugh.

"It really is good to 'ear something true and honest," Fleur said. "All the news in The Daily Prophet is slanderous and pointless. It's good that you all can speak your mind when nobody else can."

"Can anyone hear that? Carolers!" Tonks cried.

Sure enough, the table quieted to listen to the distant singing of carolers on the nearby country road, no doubt braving the cold with their Christmas cheer.



Silent night, holy night.
All is calm, all is bright.
Round you Virgin Mother and Child.
Hold infant, so tender and mild.
Sleep in heavenly peace.
Sleep in heavenly peace.



"Apparently they come by the house every year," Bill commented. "Normally they'd come to sing here, but the anti-Muggle charm on the house is keeping them away."

"The song is perfect for tonight," Tonks added happily.

"When this is all over, Bill, we are going to make them sing to us all night long! Whether they like it or not." Fleur said, inciting a laugh from the whole table.

"I almost forgot, it's nearly time! I'll be right back everyone. It's time for that Christmas surprise." Fred left the table and crossed the sitting room to the Wizard Wireless in the corner, turning it on and sifting between stations and static. "Someone tell me when the clock hits exactly 10:43."

About a minute later, Tonks called out, "Alright, it's time."

Fred, his wand out, tapped the Wizard Wireless and said, "Fawkes."

He returned to the table as everyone heard slight thuds from the Wizarding Wireless. "Come on, River, it's not that hard," Fred said aloud. "Don't leave us hanging."

Finally, everyone heard the voice of Lee as he cleared his throat and spoke, "Hello everyone, and welcome to a special edition of Potterwatch on this Christmas Eve." The table gave a few claps and cheers as Lee continued, "My name is River, and I will be reporting from our humble abode somewhere our best friends, the local Death Eaters, are not invited."

"I didn't know you would broadcast tonight!" Fleur exclaimed.

"Lee wanted to. For us and for mom and dad back home, and anyone else who's listening."

Lee continued his introduction, "I hope you all have been good this year so you can get that present you've been begging for. Personally, I can't wait to get the latest Nimbus model to take out for a ride. Or maybe you wished for, oh, I'm not sure, the fall of our good old friend who we'll neglect to mention? You never know!"

The table laughed as they continued to eat while Lee spoke, "Unfortunately, I'm all alone for this very brief broadcast, as our other members are celebrating Christmas jovially in their own company. But I dedicatedly give you the latest real information from the wizarding world.

"Though it saddens me to report, there is some grave news reaching our ears. Firstly, I'd like to note that the strong anti-Voldemort and Potterwatch supporter, Xenophilius Lovegood, has told us via owl that the Death Eaters have apprehended his daughter, Luna Lovegood, for incidents of resistance at Hogwarts School."

There was a great gasp of general uproar at the table as everyone continued to listen, "The details are not solid, as they were not telling Mr. Lovegood much about Luna's apprehension. But from what we can assume, she is being held against her will in Azkaban Prison to influence Mr. Lovegood to cease his outspoken magazine, The Quibbler, from production. Mr. Lovegood reports to us that he is likely to temporarily cease the production of his publication for the near future in hopes of his daughter's return. Mr. Lovegood also mentions that regardless of the situation, he will still be writing against the Dark Lord in private, and releasing The Quibbler to those who ask for it personally. We wish Mr. Lovegood the best of luck in the return of his daughter.

"On the note of Hogwarts School, we have new information the Muggle-born Dean Thomas has fled after being sought out for his Muggle heritage while at Hogwarts. It has been reported that Snatchers attempted to apprehend him outside of Hogsmeade, but a duel broke out. It is believed that Dean Thomas has survived unscathed and is currently on the run."

"He got lucky," Aberforth claimed. "I saw the whole fight, just before dawn."

"Oh my! Is 'e all right?" Fleur asked.

"Perfectly. He was lucky I was awake. The Snatchers were harassing him until he stunned one right in the face. I saw him run into an alleyway. So I quickly went outside, and cast my Patronus, sending it in the opposite direction."

"You didn't!" Tonks exclaimed, "What did the Death Eaters do?"

"Well, obviously the came running to me, thinking Thomas had cast the Patronus against the Dementors around town. The Death Eaters were angry, but I said that I was helping them by sending the Patronus in the direction Dean ran."

"Good thinking," Remus said with a sigh of relief.

"...And it is stressed, as always, that you attempt to cast protective spells on any muggle neighbors you have," Lee continued. "We need to try to protect our Muggle neighbors from harm. They are innocent casualties of this quickly mounting war, and if we have the power to protect them, we should do so.

"And finally, our last announcement for the night, it is still believed that Harry Potter, the Boy Who Lived, is still on the run. Do not believe The Daily Prophet's slander. Harry Potter still stands strong this Christmas Eve, and is doing whatever he can to stay on the run and fight against The Dark Lord. If you have any Christmas wishes to give this year, please send them Harry's way, and we can bring that git-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named down!"

Another cheer came from the table as Lee began to say his goodbyes. "That is it for our broadcast tonight on our special Christmas Eve edition of Potterwatch. We expect to broadcast two weeks from now on Wednesday. The password will be Grimmauld. To all our listeners, happy Christmas, and happy new years. Keep each other safe: Keep faith. Good night."

One last cheer filled the room from the occupants at the table. "That was perfect Fred!" Fleur exclaimed.

"Our pleasure. We love doing it."

"It's amazing for us who can't help out anymore," Tonks said. "Be sure to thank Lee for me."

"Gladly. That's strange, I wonder where Kingsley got off to."

"He probably got caught up with the Ministry. He said that might happen," Bill reminded.

"The new Ministry is rubbish," Fred said loudly, "They aren't even hiding the fact that they're in complete support of You-Know-Who."

"The Daily Prophet has completely deteriorated too," Tonks added. "The only reason I read it is to see if they're bragging about killing someone in the Order. But it's all lies! False articles everywhere. They even..." She stopped mid sentence, searching for words, though she could find none. She looked back down to her plate.

"What happened?" asked Fleur.

Tonks attempted to speak once more, but was again lost for words. Remus spoke in her stead, "A few days ago they released an article. I believe it was written by someone high up. They..." he stopped short too, but built up enough courage to finish his sentence, "They blamed Dumbledore's death on Sirius Black."

"Bollocks!" Fred said loudly.

"Disgusting!" Bill followed. The rest of the single word exclamations that were uttered were mere murmurs. To hear something so foul to say, that one of the most loyal members to the Order had killed the greatest wizard the world had ever seen was like a stab to the heart. A long silence followed, the pops and cracks of the fire the only sound filling the room.

Finally, Aberforth broke the silence, "It's slanderous garbage. It's not worth your time to read."

The silence gripped down on the table once again. It was suffocating. Everyone tried feebly to push it aside, but nobody could think of anything that could possibly lighten the mood. Out of nowhere, Tonks spoke to the table, "I miss him... I miss Sirius... I miss him a lot." She put her arm around Lupin's in the same way that someone who was about to feint would support themselves as she spoke. "And Dumbledore. Both of them seemed to understand me in ways I can't begin to comprehend."

Nobody said anything, but nobody needed to. Tonks continued, "I didn't know Sirius for very long. But for the time I did know him, he was there. He felt like home. And Dumbledore... I feel like he knew me better than I know myself. Like he knew all of my capabilities before I proved I was capable, and knew what steps I would make before I made them. And Dumbledore trusted me, even though I'm a big klutz.

"And losing them both, so soon after one another. And then Mad-Eye. It's just..." A long silence filled the room again before she finished, "It's just been really hard, is all."

The fire crackled, and the waves on the shore could be heard, along with the wind that blew past the house in a swift gust. Everyone was lost in their thoughts. But it was Remus who brought everyone back out of their minds into Shell Cottage.

"Dumbledore was a greater man than I can ever begin to give credit to. He made my time at Hogwarts possible, and he treated me as an equal, even though so many other then and now have shunned me for what I am. He was clearly one of the greatest wizards to ever live, and a very dear friend to me.

"And Sirius, you all know well, was an even dearer friend to me. While Albus gave me a home, an education, and a future, Sirius gave me a friendship. He and James... Well I couldn't begin to fathom my life without either of them. They both did whatever they possibly could to be the best friends they could ever be to me, and I have not, nor ever will be able to thank them for all their love, no matter how hard I ever try.

"And Moody was strong, and brave. We all knew him well, and we know how dedicated he was to the Order. He even gave his life to defend Harry. Such determination, and such dedication that I've never seen in another person is very admirable."

Remus paused for a minute, picking up his wine glass and swishing the liquid inside back and forth for a moment. He then stood up from his seat and began to speak again, "All of them had several things in common. They were all Order member, all of them had their faults - some of which they wouldn't admit," Remus added as Aberforth grunted boorishly, "Lord knows Sirius would never admit his faults.

"But there is one thing all three of them have in common. I believe that not a single one of them would have wanted us sitting around moping over Christmas Eve dinner just because of how things ended up. They all cared more about the happiness and well-being of their friends than their own lives. They wouldn't want us in this state."

There was a general murmur of agreement as the heads at the table slowly rose from their plates. Remus raised his glass of wine, "I want to make a toast. To the greatest wizard that ever lived. And to the best friend I have ever know. And to a loyal companion."

Everyone raised their glasses. Now Tonks spoke, "A toast to the best family I ever had. To someone who truly cared."

Surprisingly, Aberforth spoke next, "To my brother. For better or worse."

Fleur followed, "To three men who were devoted to helping others."

"And to the Order. Past and present," Bill said.

The table drank their wine. Though they had mixed emotions, they were filled with a sense of pride. These were their friends they were toasting to. True friends that were being paid their respects on Christmas Eve by those who cared about them most. And at this table were true friends, who despite their differences, sought one unified cause. They had all sat down and were smiling at each other, as if slipping into a daydream from the rhythm of the tide that wafted so nearby.

Fred stood, "And to Harry, the best hope we have!"

"Here, here," the table chanted, as they all drank from their cups once more.

The tension from the room seemed to be lifted. It seemed as if the Christmas spirit was returning to them, and that for the first time in a long time, they all had something to feel happy about.

Three loud, heavy, frantic knocks came to the front door. They did not sound like knocks from a friend. The entire room had drawn their wands. Remus was first to his feet, and crossed the room to the door. "Who is it?"

"Harry is the best hope we have," said the deep, booming voice that wavered as it spoke, "Trust him." It was Kingsley, and all knew it, but before there was any reaction, he spoke again, "Don't say it! Don't say His name!"

Remus quickly opened the door. Kingsley stood in the door frame, tall, covered in snow, the left sleeve of his gray Muggle suit soaked in blood, and the right side of his hip burned through to the skin.

The room gasped. Kingsley stumbled into the house, wobbled feebly until he came to the nearest chair, and collapsed into it. "Kingsley! What..."

He was gasping for breath, coughing in between, clutching his wand arm feebly as it continued to pour blood. "Someone, get him water, quick. And bandages!" yelled Remus. The table moved quickly - Fleur raced into the kitchen, and returned with a rag and a glass of water. Tonks tore off Kingsley's suit and shirt. The wound on his arm was a deep cut, bleeding freely and fast, and the burn on his stomach looked as if he had been struck straight with a bolt of lightning.

Aberforth muttered what sounded like the verse of a song. A white light issued from his wand to the slash. His healing spell was effective only in stopping the flow of blood, but forced Kingsley to cringe with pain. Kingsley choked down the glass of water he was given.

"Gouging Spell," he said, pointing to his arm, "And the Flagrante Curse on my stomach," he groaned with pain as Fleur began to wrap the towel around his arm.

"What happened, Kingsley?! Why were you late?" Remus asked.

"Duty... was doing my usual duty with the Muggle prime minister. I was muttering to myself about things. I said something about Him... It was so stupid," he said, squeezing the chair in pain as Tonks dabbed water on the burn.

"About Him?" Remus said, "You mean about Vol..."

"DON'T SAY HIS NAME!"

Kingsley's yell was nearly deafening. The room was instantly silent. Fleur was so scared she dropped the glass which shattered on the floor. "I said his name. Just randomly to myself... while the minister babbled on about something to me. Two seconds later, Snatchers Apparated out of nowhere. Six of them. I dived at the minister and knocked him down. One of their curses hit me in the arm.

"They saw that it was me, and knew I was working for the Ministry. They taunted me, saying I was a traitor. They Stupified the minster. I asked them what they were doing, and they said..." he growled with pain as Fleur finished tying the towel. "They said, 'The Dark Lord's name is tabooed. Anyone foolish enough to say The Dark Lord's name is against him, and we're ready to kill.'"

"Anyone who says his name?" Tonks exclaimed.

"Yes. There's... There's some sort of curse, or jinx, I don't know. Some sort of dark magic that senses the... the V-word. I was stupid enough to say it right there in front of them. They were furious. That's when they hit me with the Flagrante Curse."

"What did you do? How did you escape?" Remus demanded.

"I insulted them. Only one was a Death Eater, I recognized him instantly. It was Yaxley. I said the Ministry would be furious to find out he was working with a gang of Snatchers and attacking other Ministry officials. He got really worried for his job, and he started talking to his Snatcher gang.

"I used the Blasting Curse on them. It hurt me probably as much as it hurt them. I grabbed the Minister as fast as I could and Disapparated to the first place I could think of, the house of those Muggles Potter lived with. I didn't know what to do, and was bleeding everywhere. I took the prime minister and hid him in the bushes, and then Apparated to the next place I could think of in case they could follow me. I went to Godric's Hollow."

"Why there? There must be loads of Snatchers there," Fred said.

"I was clueless! I just needed to run. I was in front of Potter's parent's house. The first person that came to mind was Bathilda Bagshot, so I ran in that direction. But something flew over me, laughing. I knew it was Him! I remember from the night last summer that he could fly."

The room gasped as Kingsley continued. "He flew straight to Bathilda's, which I could see down the road. But before I could figure out what was going on, there was a huge explosion in one of the rooms upstairs that blew out the windows. An old man and woman came bounding out the door and Disapparated in the front lawn. I heard Him scream!

"Then I Apparated here, down the road."

"We've got to get you to St. Mungo's, now," Remus insisted.

"No, no, Remus! Don't be a fool. I just attacked them, and barely escaped. They'll be looking for me. I need to go to to Ottery St. Catchpole. I need to warn the Weasleys to watch their backs."

"No, I'll go!" Fred shouted.

"You will not," Remus replied, "They're searching for Kingsley, and your family is under heavy surveillance already. If you turn up randomly and they catch you, you're done for. Kingsley, Apparate to St. Mungo's. Find Hestia. She's on post there watching out for Mrs. Longbottom, and no doubt George. Tell George and Hestia what happened. See if she can't get you something for your wounds, and take George with you to Aberforth's hideout for Fred, George, and Lee."

"Wait," Fred exclaimed, "Lee said... he said the V-word on Potterwatch! What if they found him?"

"There was a Fidelius Charm on the Muggle minister's office. It must have broke, because the Yaxley Apparated right in," Kingsley said.

Remus quickly reformulated his plan, "Kingsley, go to St. Mungo's, find Hestia, and get George out. Go to The Hog's Head. Fred, go straight to the Hog's Head from here by Apparition - no buts!" he ordered as Fred tried to protest.

"You can Apparate directly into the building," Aberforth said. "I have no charms against Apparation indoors. That way I don't set off the Caterwauling Charm in town."

Remus continued, "Aberforth, please go look for Lee, and make sure he is all right. Maybe this Taboo wasn't working yet. I think if it was in effect during the broadcast, the Death Eaters would have attacked. I'll go to The Burrow, warn them by Patronus, get the minister somewhere safer, and I'll be straight back home. Tonks, head home right away. If anyone has any sort of objection to this, say something now."

Silence. No objection, "Right, let's go. Hurry!" Everyone made their way out the front door, Fleur and Bill trailing behind. They watched from the door as everyone hustled down the lane, Disapparating one by one, into the night. The wind was so cold that Christmas Eve.