Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Trouble With Being Trusted by PadfootnPeeves

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Here it is; the last chapter. Enjoy some twists, turns, and Time-Turners. And don't forget to review!

As you should surely know by now, Harry Potter isn't mine.
Bellatrix was standing outside, reading something over, deep in thought. I skidded to a halt from my running, thinking she’d probably hex me if I scared her. Irritated by her concentration, I picked up a book and threw it at her. Not the nicest thing to do to someone, but I had to vent my frustration somehow.

She cursed and glared at me. “You filthy half-blood...”

“Save your breath,” I spat at her.

She sneered. “Having a bad day, Nymphadora?”

“It’d be better if you weren’t here.”

She bowed. “Thank you, you nasty little brat. I take that with great pleasure.”

I sighed and flopped on the ground, toying with the hem of my dress. Bored, I started changing my nose. My aunt watched me, her mouth contorted into a funny shape. I think she wanted to smile, but didn’t know how.

“Can you do a pig snout?” she asked, in a softer voice then the one she usually reserved for me.

I obliged, and Bellatrix’s mouth upturned. She frowned immediately, as if she had done something wrong.

“You know,” she said after a minute, “I would have never thought I’d be working with one of you.”

“Likewise,” I said, turning my nose back to normal.

“But we have to deal with it.”

“Right.”

Maybe this would work after all.

I didn’t come in contact with Bellatrix until after supper, when she was sitting in her bedroom.

“Er,” I mumbled, my knuckles barely tapping her door. “I guess we should work on the mission now.”

“You do, do you?”

“You want to get home, don’t you?”

She shrugged. “I don’t see why. I’ve got no one to see.”

“What about your master?” I asked, curious but trying not to sound too eager.

But she suspected it, with her vulture-like instincts.

“I don’t believe it’s any of your business, Nymphadora,” she chided. “What if I pestered you about that werewolf you fancy?”

“I would tell you he’s beautiful and I love him very much,” I said delicately. “Can’t say that about anyone, can you?”

Bellatrix scowled. “We’re getting off-topic, Nymphadora. Let’s focus.”

“So,” I said, sitting on the bed beside her but inching away slightly. “What’s on the paper?”

“Tells you how to get back,” she answered vaguely. “I’ll let you read it on one condition.”

“What’s that?” I asked scornfully. Bella was more like my mother than I had ever known. At least when she was acting halfway sane.

“You need to go fetch the item needed,” she replied. “I’m not running through the snow and ice.”

“What item?” I snapped, ripping the document from her grip.

It was short, and written in poor handwriting:

It has been searched for centuries, but the only way professionally trained travel-wizards have found to journey into the future is to take a regular Time-Turner and fill it with a combination of different mixes of alcohol.

“Alcohol?” I asked incredulously.

“That’s what it says. Keep reading.”

I did.

Only precious few barkeepers know the exact measurements and beverages to be placed inside the Time-Turner. Only five are known in all of Europe- three in Italy, one in Russia, and one in England.

“There’s one in England, Bellatrix!” I said excitedly. “Maybe we can find him!”

Bellatrix looked at me with disgust. “Do you know how big England is, half-blood?”

“It’s not that big.”

“How many barkeepers are in England, you fool?”

“We can ask Dumbledore,” I said, my spirits remaining high. “He’ll know.”

Bellatrix rolled her eyes and followed me as I raced out the room.

Dumbledore was sipping tea in the sitting room with Tom and Merope. He looked amused to see me bound in to the room, my hair pink in excitement.

“Dumbledore, where’s the barkeeper in England who knows how to send people to the future?” I asked in a rush.

Dumbledore raised an auburn eyebrow. “Pardon?”

I repeated it. Dumbledore took a large swallow of tea and patted his face with his handkerchief.

“Delicious,” he commented. “Yes, I do know this said barkeeper. He runs the Hog’s Head. I trust you ladies know where that is?”

The both of us nodded.

“Excellent. Tell him the ‘special’ Time-Turner, and he’ll understand. Any more questions?”

“No,” said Bellatrix. She sat on an empty armchair, and buttered herself a crumpet. “Get lost, half-blood.”

Sticking my tongue out with grace, I Apparated on the spot.
* * *

I walked in the bar, wrinkling my nose at the smell of fresh goat, er... potty and stale drinks. I walked up to the barkeeper, who was feeding a goat a carrot. He was skinny and tall, with long and uneven auburn hair and dirty-looking stubble.

It was Aberforth, only quite a few years younger.

“What’ll it be?” he said without looking up.

I leaned forward and dropped my voice. “I need the Time-Turner. The special one.”

Aberforth stared at me for a full thirty seconds (I counted), and bent down out of sight. He straightened and shoved a worn-looking box into my stomach. I stumbled and clutched the counter for support.

“Two turns should do it,” he grumbled, and then as an afterthought, added, “Use it well.”

I thanked him and left.

Bellatrix was pleased at my timing. Together, with the other three (baby Tom was napping by the fire), we opened the lid and took out the Time-Turner.

“This is it,” I said, a bit sadly. I glanced over at my new friends.

Merope smiled and gave me a hug. I was impressed and pleased that she wasn’t weeping. Tom sniffed, but sobered immediately when Bellatrix gave him a sharp look.

“I’ll come back to visit,” I promised.

Merope’s smile became wider. “You won’t have to.”

“What?”

Merope went to the crib and returned with her son on her hip. “We,” she said, gesturing to herself, son, and Tom, “Have decided to accompany you in search of a new lifestyle.”

I grinned and hugged them both. Bellatrix looked impatient.

“Come on,” she snarled.

I ignored her. “You coming, Dumbledore, sir?”

He shook his head. “I believe it’s wisest that I stay put. I daresay I’m with you in the future?”

“’Till death,” I nodded.

We said our goodbyes and Bellatrix pulled out the gold chain and threw it around our necks.

“How many turns, Nymphadora?” Bellatrix asked.

Even though I knew that she felt little to no affection for me, I couldn’t help but grin as I said, “Two.”

As soon as the travelers left, Albus Dumbledore smiled, and chuckled deeply. He picked something up off the floor.

He wondered how long it would take Bellatrix Lestrange to realize that she had forgotten her wand.
* * *

We arrived in summertime. We ended up on a stray field, with most of the Order sitting around impatiently. I was hugged by numerous people, and was slightly startled to see Dumbledore’s hair a silvery white, instead of the auburn I had become accustomed to noticing.

I introduced everyone to Merope, Tom, and Tom. Dumbledore had a boyish thrill on his face and started a deep discussion with Merope.

“Oh, wonderful,” Sirius growled when he saw Bellatrix. “My darling cousin is here to celebrate.”

“Don’t hurt her, Sirius,” I said hurriedly. “She helped me come back.”

Sirius didn’t put away his wand and eyed her with dislike, his jaw set.

Bellatrix inclined her head to me, her eyes never leaving Sirius’s wand hand. “I suppose I’ll see you around, Nymphadora.”

“I doubt you will,” I told her. “But it’s the thought that counts.”

Bellatrix shrugged. “Put your wand down, Sirius. I’ve misplaced mine.”

Sirius snorted, and earned a glare as his cousin left, her head held up high.

“I’m surprised she didn’t at least hit you,” Remus remarked.

“Not with a group of Aurors and Order members by my side, she wouldn’t. But it might also have something to do with my wonderful looks.”

I had missed these two.

Sirius and Remus stuck by my side as the Order went back to the headquarters.

“I’ve missed you,” Remus whispered, hugging me tightly.

“Who hasn’t?” I smirked.

Remus laughed softly and kissed me. We broke apart when Sirius wolf-whistled. I laughed, but still felt the need to avoid Tom’s eye.
* * *
Tom cornered me later, when I was walking up the stairs to give Merope a bottle for her son. The three were staying at Grimmauld Place, for lack of anywhere else to put them.

“So that’s why you wouldn’t marry me?”

“Huh?”

Tom sighed, exasperated. “Because you’ve got that bloke?”

“Remus?”

“If that’s what his name is.”

I nodded, and pitied his sad look. “Don’t be down, Tom. I’m that wonderful. But hey, Merope could use a new hubby.”

Tom playfully hit me, but I knew he considered her.
* * *

Even later, Mad-Eye came up to me, watching me with his magical eye. The rest of the order was inside Grimmauld Place, but I had lingered around to get some fresh air.

“I’m proud of you, Tonks,” he said gruffly. “Not many could go through that.”

I thanked him, deciding not to mention how many times I had almost died.

“Constant vigilance the whole way?”

“Of course,” I grinned. “And Mad-Eye?”

“Yeah?”

The grin was getting wider, I could feel it. “I’ve been thinking, and, you know, especially after this mission, you really owe me some cash...”

FIN!