Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Luna Lovegood and the Dark Room Legacy by Hotrav

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

“Stand back away from the door,” said a squeaky voice from outside the room. The door slowly opened and a tidal wave of light crashed into the dark room blinding its three occupants. Luna shielded her eyes and saw their caretaker, Wormtail, cross the threshold carrying a new water bottle, a clean chamber pot, and a tray with bowls on it. The tray had only two bowls on it not the normal three bowls of food. As Luna moved her eyes from the tray, she saw Draco Malfoy nervously holding his wand on the prisoners.

Luna’s gaze left Malfoy and continued across until she found Mr. Ollivander. He sadly nodded back to her. She turned to Reg. He seemed quite perplexed by the tray with only two bowls. “Where’s the third bowl?” Reg asked Wormtail.

“No need for three, because today is ‘moving day’ for one of you,” Pettigrew replied. Reg’s mood seemed to brighten; while a feeble moan escaped the Wandmaker’s lips.

“You mean you’ll be letting one of us go?” eagerly asked Reg.

“One of you’ll leave here in a few hours,” squeaked the little man.

Luna and Ollivander grasped the bowls off the hovering tray and moved next to Reg against the wall opposite the door. Draco stepped forward and with this wand magically swapped the new water bottle for the almost empty one on the floor and the new pot for the old. As Pettigrew with the empty tray stepped out of the door, Draco stood there for second just looking across the room at the three of them. Luna thought she could almost see pity and shame on his thin blonde face. Re-mastering control of his emotions, Draco thrust his wand toward the trio and ordered them to sit. The three slid down the wall with Luna and Ollivander cradling the precious bowls. After they were seated, the young man walked out the door and the door’s closing returned the room to its usual darkness.

Reg was excited; he seemed like a child on Christmas Eve. “I hope it’s me,” he gushed.

“No, you don’t,” she replied, remembering her own first moving day.

“On, my first ‘moving day’, Professor Burbage was moved. I sat down here and I heard him torture and murder her. Today will be my fourth ‘moving day’, no one who was been moved has survived,” said the old man, his voice cracking with the horror the phrase encompassed.

The temperature in the room seemed to fall ten degrees as what the wandmaker had said sank into the maintenance man. “It’s good that I got my wife and kids to my aunt in Amsterdam. They’re safe there,” Reg spoke in a whisper.

The trio spent the next five minutes passing the two bowls of nourishment between them. Each took turns taking a handful of the barely edible food, eating it and then passing the bowl on to the next one.

“Did I ever tell you how I first met my wife, Luna?” Reg started.

The answer was yes, but Luna replied, “Tell me, Reg. I bet it was romantic.”

“On the Valentine weekend Hogsmeade visit during my sixth year, I was in The Three Broomsticks with the other members of the Hufflepuff Quidditch team. They had just bought me a Butterbeer to celebrate my release from the Hospital Wing after I’d taken a Bludger against Slytherin. As the arms of my teammates fell from a toast, I saw a group of younger Ravenclaw girls enter. Somehow, it was like there were extra lights shining on her. I couldn’t take my eyes off of her. Now I’d never ever asked a girl out before, but I knew that I had to speak to her or die. So, I left my snickering mates at the window table. I walked over to booth that held the group of girls. I looked at her and said. ‘My name’s Reginald Cattermole and I’m gonna marry you.’ The other girls just laughed at me, but she didn’t. She just looked up at me with those big brown eyes and said that her name was Mary Quince and if what I said was so, we should probably get a table by ourselves so we can get to know each other.”

About twenty minutes later, Reg’s tale ceased as heavy footfalls reverberated off the stairs leading down to the little room. Reg's sweaty left palm clasped Luna’s right hand and she took the familiar wrinkled wandmaker’s hand into hers. Powerless, the trio sat on the floor and waited as they heard the approach of doom.

“We must stand,” Luna said as sense of urgency seemed to fill her. She knew instinctively that standing was the right thing to do, because it was what Harry Potter would do.

“Why?” asked Reg, resignation resonating through his voice.

“She’s right. We must stand. We must show them we are not afraid,” whispered Mr. Ollivander.

“Back away from the door,” spoke the deep, rasping voice of the Death Eater Yaxley.

The trio in the dark stood up hand-in-hand-in-hand with their backs against the wall. Even though the light pouring through the opened door was blinding their eyes no one released the hand of their companion.

Yaxley sneered at the blinking threesome and said, “What a nice collection of sheep. If I had my way, we’d be moving the lot of you today, but I’ve got orders for only one of you.”

Ollivander tottered ahead still clutching Luna left hand in his right and in a weak voice he plead, “Take me, please. Let them live, I’ve got no one.”

Yaxley laughed, “How noble he is! You’re not the one we want; now get back to the wall.” Yaxley shoved the old man against the wall and though the collision knocked the breath out of him, his hand held hers firmly. Luna felt a tight squeeze from Reg’s hand. She looked at the Death Eater and awaited her fate. “Take him. He hasn’t come clean about who the Blood Traitors were that helped his family escape justice.”

“No one helped us! My wife planned the whole escape,” he pleaded.

“Your wife is a Mudblood, an inferior, so she couldn’t have outsmarted the ministry,” Yaxley countered. The assisting Death Eaters tried to pull Reg away from Luna, but she found she could not let go of his hand. After a tug or two, the larger of the two Death Eaters backhanded her across her cheek knocking her down to the floor. With a quick pull, Reg’s hand slipped out of her grasp.

As the door closed entombing them back into the darkness, they could hear Reg’s begging, “Mary is too smart! She was in Ravenclaw and a nurse at St. Mungo’s. The escape plan was all hers. I just got caught, because I left a sack of gold on the table and you caught up with me before I could escape with it!” The next sounds they heard was the opening scream of torture.

“No,” Luna moaned into the darkness, looking up at the floor above them.

She could hear Ollivander sliding on the floor through the darkness toward her. The old man took her in a hug and the two just held on to each other listening to the screams from above. After a couple of minutes, Luna heard Mr. Ollivander’s trembling voice begin to speak, “It was on the Valentine weekend Hogsmeade visit during his sixth year. He was in the Three Broomsticks with the other members of the Hufflepuff Quidditch team.”

He fell silent after an extremely loud scream that was followed by a round of maniacal laughter. Luna couldn’t stand to hear it, so she spoke, “They had just bought him a Butterbeer to celebrate his release from the Hospital Wing after he’d taken a Bludger against Slytherin. As the arms of his teammates fell from a toast, Reg saw a group of younger Ravenclaw girls enter. Somehow, it was like there were extra lights shining on her. He couldn’t take my eyes off of her.”.

Suddenly, the screaming ended with a thud on the floor above. Luna cried into the shoulders of the old man. He continued speaking, “Now Reg had never ever asked a girl out before, but he knew that he had to speak to her or die.” With the phrase on his lips the old wandmaker stopped and Luna felt a quaver run through his entire body.

She continued, “So, he left his snickering mates at the window table and walked over to the group of girls and he looked at her and said. My name’s Reginald Cattermole and I’m gonna marry you.”

When they finished Reg’s story, Luna and Ollivander sat on the cold stone floor and leaned on each other for support. She closed her eyes to try to escape into sleep. However, she dreamed that the door opened and there stood a nervous Draco standing next to Wormtail who's tray held only one bowl. She was jolted awake.

“I had the same dream,” the old man spoke in weak voice. “If they come for you, they will have to take you over my dead body. However, if they come for me you must let me go. You must survive and live a life full of light and love. Will you do that for me? Luna, will you promise?”

She thought of what it would be like to be alone in this room listening to his screams of anguish. Luna feared it might drive her mad.

“You’ve not promised yet,” he added, with more authority in his voice.

She swallowed and replied, “I promise.”

He leaned over and kissed her on the forehead. Luna silently leaned against him, closed her eyes and escaped the dungeon into a troubled sleep.