Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Luna Lovegood and the Dark Room Legacy by Hotrav

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

The small bell tinkled as the ancient wooden front door of Ollivanders opened. The Proprietor looked up from the robed black couple and their small dreadlocked daughter who he was helping and quietly excused himself from his customer. He turned to the newcomers his face beamed.

“Harry and Ginny Potter,” he said as he slowly walked around the counter to shake their hands. “It seems like only yesterday, that the perfect wands found the two of you. Only yesterday and yet a world away,” he said absent-mindedly.

Ollivander looked down at the taller of the two boys looking him in the eye. James Potter reflexively pulled back from the stranger and glanced at his mother looking for reassurance without seeming that he was looking for reassurance. Ginny made a little motion with her eyes going from her eldest son toward the older man. James stepped forward and made a little show of taking the old wandmaker’s hand and shaking it.

Harry used the time to look around the shop. He remembered the excitement of getting his own wand and the story of its brother that made his only other trip into this place such a vivid memory.

Ollivander looked at the parcel-laden arms of the Potter family and back to his other customers. “I’m rather busy right now. If you don’t mind, my daughter can help you.”

”Daughter?” asked Ginny, “I didn’t know you had a daughter.”

The five Potters turned looking up the narrow aisle in between the floor-to-ceiling shelves that were full of small wand boxes. As they watched, a female figure stepped out of the shadow into the half light toward her beckoning father. A shaft of light from the skylight showed the form of a thirty-something year old blonde, pregnant woman.

Ginny gasped as she came fully into the light. “Luna, how can you be Ollivander’s daughter?” she asked.

“It’s a secret which I can’t tell without father’s permission,” Luna answered in a distracted tone.

While answering Ginny, Luna had turned her gaze from her old friends and down to the taller of the two boys. “I know you. You are James Sirius Potter. I changed you nappy once,” Luna said eying the boy for his reaction.

“And I know you too. I saw your and your husband’s picture on the back of the Care of Magical Creatures textbook at the store we bought my school books. You’re Loony Loony Luna Lovegood,” he defiantly answered.

“James, you apologize to Luna! She’s one my oldest and dearest friends,” Ginny spoke, aghast at her son’s cheek.

“You’re wrong. I was only ever Loony Luna Lovegood. Now, I’m Loony Luna Lovegood Ollivander Scamander. You may call me Luna or Miss Ollivander,” she answered, her eyes fixed on the small boy face sizing his personality up. He seemed to her to be a bit closer to Fred-and-George than Harry.

Luna’s response to his obvious challenge caused a large grin to appear upon James’ face. James seemed to warm to her openness and her lack of the usual adult judgments. “I’m here to choose a wand,” he said proudly, obviously showing off for his younger brother and sister.

“Oh no, you’re not! You are here to be chosen not to choose. The wand is the one who chooses not the wizard,” she corrected him as she walked behind the counter. As she looked up, it was obvious that her old friends were full of questions. However, today was James’ time not hers.

“James, turn your head to the left and stick out you left arm,” Luna instructed.

James started to protest, but thought better of it. He turned his head and extended his arm.

“Now, turn you head back to the right,” she added, “and stick you tongue out at your brother.” James eagerly obeyed this set of instructions sticking his tongue so far out it was a wonder it didn’t fall onto the floor.

Luna crouched and looked into James’ eyes. They were Ginny’s eyes. Luna nodded and disappeared back into the stacks. Ten minutes later, she returned with just two little wand boxes. She opened up the first box, placed it on the counter in front of the boy and said, “Yew and Norwegian Ridgeback heart string.” She motioned for James to remove the wand from its box and without any prompting he wildly waved the wand causing a flower-filled vase on the shelf behind Luna to explode. Daises, water and shattered ceramics crashed to the wooden floor.

James looked to his left to see the dreadlocked girl, whose own wand was being wrapped, giggling at the explosion. James’ face was growing redder by the second when Luna said, “Almost, but not quite.” The startled boy gladly placed the stick back into its box and stepped away from it.

Luna opened the lid of the second box and announced, “Yew and Hungarian Horntail heart string.” The boy looked at the wand, at Luna and finally at his mother. With care he lifted the wand out of its padded home and gripped it tightly. He seemed afraid to move his now wary hand.

Suddenly, Luna saw a smile on James face turn into a grin and finally a look of contentment. James Potter made the smallest wave of the wand and the vase and the flowers were back on the shelf whole.

“I think you’ve been chosen,” Luna said, smiling at the youth who had already turned to proudly show the wand off to his siblings.

Luna looked toward her adopted father. After he said goodbye to his other customers, he joined her and the Potters. Harry pulled out his purse to pay; Ollivander waved his hand in front of the money pouch. “Your money is not good here, Harry Potter,” he said. “As long as I or my daughter is alive, your descendants will not have to pay for our services.”

Harry started to argue, but Ginny took his hand and asked the old man, “Mr. Ollivander, how can Luna be your daughter?”

Ollivander smiled and said, “Sorry, family secret. A family secret that goes back twenty three hundred years.”

Ginny started to ask again, but she thought better.

Luna smiled. She had agreed to the ‘adoption’ a year after the final battle. Father Ollivander was certain that his days were numbered and he needed someone to pass his wand lore to. The two of them had travelled the world off and on for almost four years. During their travels, she made three great discoveries: an actual Blibbering Humdinger, an previously undiscovered type of Bowtruckle, and her future husband. In the intervening years, Ollivander had found a former Hufflepuff student named Wallace MacKenzie. Although her father would never admit it, it was now obvious to Luna that MacKenzie would be the next Ollivander. However, Mr. Ollivander insisted she run the store as Wallace perfects his wand crafting. And with her pregnancy, she was content as the clerk. Luna cleared her mind as it was oblivious Ginny wanted some explanation.

“Please come back at noon. With father’s approval, you will see something special here,” Luna looked at Mr. Ollivander who nodded his approval.

At Eleven fifty-five, the little Potter clan, now with a caged barn owl in a tow, joined George Weasley in Ollivanders store by the front window. At noon, Mr. Ollivander waved his wand and a bell tolled one clear low tone that resonated throughout the wand shop.

Luna took the black silken cover off of a large book that sat on an ornately carved oak pedestal. She solemnly folded the cover by hand and placed it on a small cherry wood table that stood next to the pedestal. As Luna was folding the cover, Mr. Ollivander turned the heavy parchment page and moved the red silk book mark into the middle of the page. The old man took a deep breathe and read aloud to the assembled, “Reginald Catermole, son of Alruss and Sian Cattermole of St. Agnes’ Watch near Blackpool.”

Luna saw Harry stiffen at the reading of the name. She knew the role that Harry had played in the escape of Mary Cattermole from the Ministry. She was suddenly worried that he might not see that he was a hero in this story. If he had just slunk out of the Ministry a whole family might be registered on these pages not just one man. Luna mentally followed along with the familiar story of how Reg and Mary had met. Harry, Hermione, and Ron’s brave and nearly unsuccessful escape attempt from the Ministry of Magic with all of the Muggle-born in tow. The story ended with Mary’s telling of her husband’s love and bravery. She had heard the stories a hundred times and yet every time she heard it Luna could still feel Reg’s hand gripping hers in the dark room awaiting their doom.

Ollivander finished reading Reg’s two pages and the sad bell tolled.

Luna stepped forward to the book. She pulled the wand from behind her left ear and waved it over the book. Its pages magically flipped toward the back of the book. When the movement stopped she took a deep breath and spoke aloud, “Fred Weasley, son of Arthur and Molly Weasley of The Burrow near Ottery St. Catchpole. Fred was a beater on the Gryffindor Championship Quidditch team, a founding member of Dumbledore’s Army and a hero of the battle of Hogwarts. Fred had a quick mind and a wit to match. Fred’s smile and daring spirit were infectious. No one could ever met Fred Weasley and not be affected by his adventurous spirit.” Luna stopped for a beat looking at George and Ginny.

George was looking over Luna’s shoulder at the picture of his brother and himself in their Quidditch gear light-heartedly shoving each other to the side of the photo. George had a look of hurt in his eyes and yet a quivering smile showed on his face. Ginny was dabbing her eyes with the same expression her brother was wearing.

“Fred and his twin brother George opened Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes and threatened to revolutionize Diagon Alley with their unique style and uncommon business sense. However, when the Dark forces toppled the government Fred and George left behind their comfortable lives and business opportunities to become leaders of the opposition. At great personal risk, they used their underground broadcasts to disseminate the truth and gave encouragement to all in the anti-Voldemort forces.” Luna’s voice swelled in volume and emotion with the words she and her two fathers had written. As Luna took a breathe, she heard the soft sniffing sound come from Ginny who now had Harry’s arm wrapped around her shoulder.

Luna continued to read the two pages that summarized Fred’s shortened life. “When rumor of the final battle reached the twin brothers, unlike many others, they picked up their wands so they could be counted for good in the battle to defeat evil. Fred Weasley fought bravely until his untimely death in battle cut short a light and a laugh that should have nourished us all for years to come. Fred was and is mourned not only by his family but by almost everybody who ever knew him. We who have life and hope thank you Fred for you sacrifice,” Luna finished.

As Luna looked toward her adoptive father, he flicked his wand and the bell sadly tolled again. Ginny was now in tears in Harry’s arms. George hugged Luna, picked up his niece Lily squeezed her tightly, and kissed her on the forehead.

James and Albus stood on tiptoes and looked into the book at the picture of the Uncle they’d never meet. The eyes of the two boys moved from their crying mother to their Uncle George, who was regaining control of his emotions, and their sister who, overcome by the emotion of the others, was crying too. The pair looked at each other at a bit at a loss and finally decided to try and console their tearful mom by forming a group hug around her.

After Ginny had hugged her husband, children, and brother, Luna looked at her tearful friend and explained, “Every day at noon, we perform this little ceremony. We open up the book, turn the page and read a story. Each two pages tells the story of one of the people who either died at the Malfoy manor, somewhere else like Dumbledore, Moody, Madame Bones, Snape, Dobby the house-elf, and each of those who fell at Hogwarts. We cannot allow their sacrifice to be forgotten.”

Harry comforted his wife with a kiss on the forehead and a slight hug before he asked, “Where did you get this book from?”

Mr. Ollivander answered, “We wrote it. Luna and I took the stories of those who died at the manor. Mr. Lovegood gathered the life stories of those who had died elsewhere. He, Luna and I wrote up each story. I paid for the printing of four copies of the book.”

“One copy is here, the second copy is at the library in Hogwarts, the third is in the Minister of Magic’s office and the fourth copy is at the Quibbler with my birth father,” Luna explained.

George looked at the two Ollivanders recovering his composure and said “I’d like a copy of the book for my parents and another one for me. Could you arrange it? Send the bill to the shop.”

Harry pulled out his purse again and handed it over to Mr. Ollivander saying, “I also want a copy of the book and I want every family with someone in that book to have a copy of it, if they want one. I spent too much of my life not knowing the sacrifice my parents had made for me. I want their families to know about their sacrifices. Print them up, send the bill to me.”

“Harry, doing what you are asking could be quite expensive,” cautioned Ollivander.

“I inherited a fortune from my parents and another small one from Sirius. I can’t think of any more fitting way to spend it,” he responded.

Ginny kissed Harry; her eyes seemed to be swimming in pools of tears. However, her voice was filled with adoration, “After all of these years, you still can surprise me.” And she finished the sentence with a caress.

“It’s not just any woman who would allow their husband to bankrupt his family on a sentimental whim,” he whispered in response.

“You’re lucky, that I’m not just any woman,” she teased, as she lovingly gazed at him. James rolled his eyes at his parent’s tender moment, Lily put her hand in front of her face to hide her giggles and Albus mimed sticking his finger down his throat over the blatant mushiness of the moment.

A brunette woman with her arms full of packages and the face of a blonde boy appeared in the door of the wand shop. The bell tinkled as the ancient wooden door was opened. Luna turned to greet her new customers and to see which of her wands would chose this boy.