Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Heirs of the Founders by Lady Snuffles

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: A/N: What else was between the pages aside from the picture and flower? And with the threat of Voldemort over their heads, how can everyone still enjoy themselves? Well it’s simple really…just live with the Weasley’s…


Chapter 2
Findings of Founders


Ginny gently slid the photograph and flower out from the pages. Harry got off the floor and gave her a hand up. He then picked the volume up from the floor and led the way to the sofa. As Ginny sat next to him, Harry set the book on his lap and glued his eyes to the picture. Looking at the photograph, they could distinctly see the stag carrying a bouquet of lilies between his teeth. Harry didn’t doubt that this lily was one in the same. He took the flower back to examine while Ginny flipped the picture over and read aloud:

“Harry,
I left this for you to find. I would have shared it with you myself but I knew looking at every other book in the library would benefit you almost as much as what you read in the following pages. I believe that this could be the answer you are looking for. This is no “Avada Kedavra” as you will soon discover. I promised your parents that I would do my best to look after you and while I don’t believe I could do them justice, I do think that this helps and I did try to prepare you for what I know to be your destiny.

~Sirius

P.S. I left a bit of your parents between the pages for you as a reminder…remember what you are fighting for, and who fought for you.”


Both teenagers then bent their heads over the book and drank in all they could about the last bit of help Sirius would ever be able to give Harry.

Amaranthine Charm
An invention of Merlin, the Amaranthine Charm is the strongest Bonding Charm in present age. The only way to break this spell is by a series of complicated Exiling Charms, ending with the Denouement Spell. This enchantment is rarely broken, however, not just because of its complexity, but because the breaking of the spell cannot occur without the death (willing or not) of a member of the Bond.

The Amaranthine Charm is chosen when a group of four people want to solidify their bond of friendship. By doing this, each person’s highest value will be instilled into the other three mindsets so that they may share four beliefs indefinitely. The enchantment has been known to last through centuries and generations. A group placed under the spell will find that their children are connected similarly, though not as ambiguously. While the next in kin will understand and believe the same values, they do not have to act on them as the initially enchanted do.

The most famous people to be placed under the Amaranthine Charm are the Founders of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin valued courage, loyalty, intelligence, and cunning respectively. After several decades of living in contentment, a conflict between Gryffindor and Slytherin resulted in Slytherin leaving Hogwarts castle for good. After his flight, the other Founders did their best to live and teach without him but the Bond between them, always on their minds, wouldn’t let them forget about their fourth colleague. Slytherin eventually sent for his long time companions when he was on his deathbed. Their Bond was enough for all of the Founders to forgive each other and see their dying friend one last time. Gryffindor begged for forgiveness and he received it in Slytherin’s dying breath.

His death brought into question how the Amaranthine Charm would evolve. No witch or wizard under the enchantment had ever had decedents. The Founders soon discovered that his first born son, Ophiuchus, was a Parselmouth, like his father, and also demonstrated the Founders four values equally. Looking at their own children, the three remaining Founders discovered similar virtues instilled in their firstborns more than their younger children. With this discovery came the conclusion that the Amaranthine Charm was, like an heirloom, passed down the generations from the firstborn child to their firstborn child.

With each passing generation, however, the three values not originally owned by the ancestor become less prevalent in the posterity and are shadowed behind their genetically predetermined virtue. For example, the heir of Hufflepuff would still, in this day and age, be incredibly loyal to their family, friends, country, etc, but not necessarily courageous, intelligent, or cunning, unless a task specifically called for those traits.

Only twice in existence has this spell been broken. Once willingly and the other unwillingly ended in the death of one of the Bonded members. It is a difficult and tiring process to break the enchantment and impossible to break without death.

To learn how to place or break the Amaranthine Charm, see Part III (Practicalities of Bonding Spells) of this volume.


Harry, eyes bloodshot and sore from not blinking, looked up and met Ginny’s eyes, deeply brown and wide with enthusiasm.

Thank you Sirius…

They shared the thought simultaneously.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“…ending with the Denouement Spell which will destroy life in all it’s forms: mind, body, and soul.

Hermione’s voice was hoarse from reading so many pages aloud and her hair had frayed from its braid from the excitement that was buzzing between her and her friends. She, Harry, Ginny, and Ron were sitting in her bedroom looking over the volume Harry and Ginny had found and were making sure they had interpreted it correctly.

“This makes complete sense!” Hermione exclaimed. In her excitement she began talking much faster than necessary. “This won’t be too hard…I’ve already researched most of these Exiling Spells and I’ve read about the Denouement spell in a few books in the library here and at Hogwarts and I don’t really see a problem with finding the rest of them. Do you think Professor Dumbledore is coming back to Headquarters anytime soon? Because I think we should really let him know what you’ve found. After all, he’s going to have to be the one to teach us everything in here because it’s not like we’ll be able to teach it to ourselves because this magic is so much more advanced. Harry, do you think Remus wou-”

Ron had placed a hand over her mouth and said, “Deep breaths Hermione. You can research to your hearts content in a little bit. Just catch a breath first.” Harry and Ginny covered their own mouths to keep from laughing while Hermione look rather disgruntled. Ron gave her a cheeky smile and asked, “If I remove my hand will you slow down?” Hermione slowly nodded her head and gave Ron an eye roll.

With an exaggerated sigh Hermione, very slowly, asked, “Harry, do you think Remus would know anything about this?”

“Probably not,” he said. “He hasn’t read most of the books in the library here. And besides, this Denouement charm sounds a bit dark for Moony’s taste.”

“My taste in what?”

The four friends looked over to the door to find none other than Remus Lupin leaning against the doorjamb.

“We were wondering if you might know anything about these spells,” Ginny said, holding up the list Hermione had taken down.

As Remus walked over he asked, “Find something in library today?” Harry and Ginny nodded vigorously and she handed the parchment over. Remus’ eyes widened as he scrolled down the list. When he finished he asked for the book and said, “Molly says that she made some cookies and wants them all eaten before bedtime. Why don’t you four head down and take care of that while I look this over?”

They followed his directions obediently, and in Ron’s case, enthusiastically. He nearly ran down the stairs yelling, “Cookies!” in a far too childish way for a seventeen year old. The other three followed behind him, laughing at his foolish, yet endearing behaviors.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“I didn’t know there were so many different kinds of cookies,” Harry told Ron as he threw himself onto Ron’s bed.

Ron gave Harry a satisfied look and patted his stomach as he dropped into the squashy armchair by the window. He thought back to the mountain of cookies on the table. His mum had made five cookies for each of her children’s favorite flavors, and Ron alone had four favorites! This made for over eighty cookies and a very happy Order of the Phoenix.

“We never could decide on one flavor as kids, what with the seven of us, suggesting a new sweet to add on top of the ones we knew we loved, so Mum found a way to make them all at once,” Ron told Harry, still smiling dreamily.

“So there’s more kinds than what was down there?!” Harry exclaimed. Ron laughed and crossed the room to his wardrobe where he began changing into his pajamas. “The only cookies Aunt Petunia ever made were chocolate chip. Very boring and not very good…the few I stole anyway.”

There was a knock at the door then and Ron shouted a, “Come in,” as he pulled his shirt off over his head.

The door swung open to reveal a freshly showered, pajama clad Hermione. She wore an affectionate smile on her face as she saw Ron, in all his glory….well not all…but it definitely wasn’t hard for her to imagine. She couldn’t help but think he wasn’t as attracted to her as she was to him. That had to be impossible! She realized that thought was ludicrous however when Ron’s face filled with desire, his eyes traveling up and down her body. Beneath her untied bathrobe, she was wearing pink and black plaid boxers and a black camisole. Both of which showed, much to Ron’s liking, how well she had filled out over the last couple of years. Her towel dried damp hair was just gracing her collarbone where Ron noticed, with a sort of longing, she had missed drying off a few droplets of water. They were sitting just on the place where she liked Ron to pay special attention to when they were snogging.

She raised her eyebrows at him when he made eye contact with her and he gave her a smirk that said a thousand words. Although she had come into the room to give Harry a message, she couldn’t seem to tear her eyes away from Ron’s until Harry asked, his voice full of uncomfortable laughter, “Should I leave?”

Hermione shook herself and stumbled over her words in embarrassment, “Oh…uh, yes! Oh! Er..I mean…uh no..uhm…Remus wants to see you!” Her skin was flushed by the time she was done speaking and Harry was trying admirably not to laugh.

Harry got off the bed and gave Hermione a kiss on the cheek as he passed out the door saying, “I’ll just leave you two alone then. Goodnight Hermione.” He turned with his hand on the door handle and said with a smirk and wink, “Remember not to get too into it tonight…Mum’s had her snogging radar at maximum the last few days.”

Even with Harry’s warning, the second the door closed Ron was across the room drying off those water droplets as best he could.



“The only cookies Aunt Petunia ever made were chocolate chip. Very boring and not very good…the few I stole anyway,” Harry said as there was a knock at the door. He was about to say, “just a minute,” considering Ron’s state of undress, but Ron told them to come in before Harry had a chance.

Hermione stepped just inside the doorframe looking particularly pretty after her shower. Harry noticed with a sudden jolt, just how pretty Hermione had become. Of course he had always thought that she had above average looks…better than the other girls in their year at any rate, but now, he realized, she had grown into a beautiful woman. Stunning really. When did that happen…How could I have missed it?

I was wondering when you’d realize that,
he heard Ginny’s voice laugh in his head. I still don’t understand why more guys aren’t tailing her, waiting for their chance with her…”

Well, Beautiful, that’s because they’re too busy tailing you,
Harry complimented.

During this exchange of thought, Harry noticed the looks his friends were giving each other. It reminded him quite distinctly of when they would go on their “prefect duties.” This usually involved a broom cupboard of some sort at school, so Harry couldn’t imagine wanting to stick around when Ron had a bedroom of his own. With an uncomfortable laugh Harry found himself asking, “Should I leave?”

He watched as Hermione fumbled for the right words. “Oh…uh, yes!” At this Ginny snorted with laughter in Harry’s head. He smirked at Hermione as she tried to correct herself. “Oh! Er..I mean…uh no..uhm…Remus wants to see you!” Her embarrassed blush was enough to hold back Harry’s laughter, but only just.

He kissed Hermione on the cheek and said, “I’ll just leave you two alone then. Goodnight Hermione.” Almost out the door, Harry turned around and warned, “Remember not to get too into it tonight…Mum’s had her snogging radar at maximum the last few days.”

He closed the door behind him and didn’t want to know if they listened to him or not. He found Remus in the drawing room, leaning over the text Harry and Ginny had found that morning.

Should I be there for this? Ginny questioned him through his mind. He didn’t know so he asked the question aloud.

Remus shrugged his shoulders and said, “No, I just had a couple of questions.”

That answer it for you? Harry asked her.

That’s fine. Just come in to say goodnight before heading to bed, alright?

Of course, he answered. Aloud he said, “So, what are your questions Moony?”

Finally looking up from the book he said, “Do you realize how bloody brilliant this is?”

Startled by his frankness, Harry laughed at Remus before asking, “You think this will work then?” Harry could feel a trace of hope flow through him.

Remus was smiling, happier than Harry had seen him in a long time. “Not only do I think this will work Harry, I think this is the best way it could work.” He paused looking at Harry like a father who had just seen his son catch his first snitch. “In all honesty Harry, when the Order found out that you had to be the one to kill Voldemort, I couldn’t picture it…it takes so much hate to use the Killing Curse…and not let it overwhelm you.” He looked sad and dejected suddenly. Harry, not enjoying the sudden change in Remus’ mood, placed his hand on his friends shoulder. He made eye contact with Harry then and, continuing, gave him a sad smile. “It was so hard to imagine you with so much hate in you. You have the natural ability to love Harry, despite your past, and I always worried that your use of tat curse would take that away.” He smiled then, the same genuine smile he’d had on earlier. “But because of this you don’t have to do it that way. Voldemort will be expecting a direct attack from you, but this way…well he will be surprised, won’t he?”

“That’s all I can hope for,” Harry said smiling as well. “Do you think we’ll be able to find the heirs? All three of them?”

With a shrug that seemed almost carefree, Remus said, “I hope so. That would be the only reason this…” he pointed to the book, “wouldn’t work. I have a good feeling about this Harry…this will work.”

Harry and Remus found themselves talking for hours. About the enchantment, about Dumbledore, about the Order, Sirius, Harry’s Parents, Tonks, Hogwarts, and (Harry was unsure how they reached this particular subject) muggle transportation. It wasn’t until Harry mentioned taking the underground with Hagrid once that he glanced at his watch. Looking at the short hand pointing at the number two digit, Harry realized how tired he was and bade Remus goodnight.

True to his word, he went in to say goodnight to Ginny. He wasn’t surprised to find her asleep on the loveseat, still in her day clothes, a book laying across her stomach. His heart gave a lurch when he saw her smiling in her sleep, obviously enjoying her dream.

He crossed the room and took the book from her, marking the page with the photo of the two of them that she used as a bookmark. He remembered the moment well. It was a completely candid photo of the two of them last winter when they had had a snowball fight. It had been a mix of all four houses, sixth years against fifth years, and the photograph showed a quick succession of events in which Ginny stuffed snow down the back of Harry’s shirt, Harry retaliated by looking as if to hug her, then lifted the back of her shirt just enough to place a handful of snow on her lower back, and with much squirming and laughing, both of them surrendering with a kiss. He wasn’t even aware the picture had been taken. He’d need to thank Collin for that one later.

After placing the book on her bedside table, Harry removed her shoes and socks, then gathered her in his arms effortlessly. He placed her on the bed and drew the covers up around her. Giving her a kiss on her forehead, Ginny have a small sigh and breathed “Thanks, Harry.”

He smiled and knelt down so that they were at eye level. “I thought you were sleeping,” he whispered as she open her eyes, smiling at him.

“I was,” she whispered back. “What time is it?”

“Just after two,” he answered giving her another kiss on the head. “Goodnight Love.”

She reached for his hand before he could take it from her waist and pulled him back toward her, reaching for the back of his neck with her other hand. “Not so fast,” she said, looking far more awake than she had seconds before. With her hand behind him he didn’t have much choice in the matter of kissing her, not that he minded any. By the time she released him, she had drawn him close enough to her that he swore he could feel her heartbeat against his chest. They were both breathless when Harry dropped back to his heels and Ginny leaned back against her pillows. Her gaze was intense and full of love. “Stay with me tonight,” she whispered.

“I wish I could,” he said honestly while kissing the hand he was still holding. “But Mum hasn’t made her middle of the night rounds yet, and Bill and Moony are still awake.”

She sighed disappointed, but gave him one last tender kiss. You better make it up to me then, she thought to him.

He smiled and answered aloud, “I will. Goodnight Gin.”

“Goodnight Harry. I love you”

He smiled, and whispered, “I love you too,” just before shutting the door behind him.

He was about to walk up the stairs to his bedroom when he noticed Hermione’s bedroom door open. Thinking it odd for her to fall asleep without shutting it, he put his hand on the door handle to shut it for her, only he saw, she wasn’t in her room.

Not wanting to walk in on his best friends in the middle of…well he didn’t want to know what they got up to really…but knowing Mrs. Weasley would be coming around to check on them all soon, he walked down a flight of stairs and gently tapped on Ron’s bedroom door. There was no answer. He heard a creak from the room above him…the Master Bedroom where Mr. and Mrs. Weasley slept…Shit! he thought before closing his eyes and walking into the room. There were no shouts of surprise so Harry deemed it safe to look.

Are they indecent? Ginny asked him slyly.

Better, he laughed inwardly. They’re adorable like that.

Ron and Hermione were fast asleep on top of the covers of Ron’s bed. Although they were fully clothed, Hermione’s bathrobe was in the place Harry had last seen her standing and sniggered quietly to himself. He picked up the robe and quickly walked over to the bed. He gently woke Hermione and it took her a few moments to realize why Harry wanted her awake. Ron couldn’t seem to understand why Hermione was leaving and Harry was sure he was still sleeping given he wouldn’t let go of her. Ginny had to come and help Harry pry Ron’s arms off of Hermione. Harry was suffering from a severe case of church giggles and was on the verge of tears when Bill tapped his knuckles on the slightly ajar door. Peeking his head in, with his eyebrows raised in question like that make Harry laugh outright. Hermione joined him suddenly, realizing the humor of the situation.

With Hermione’s body shaking with laughter, Ron finally fully woke and looked extremely confused. With a look of comprehension they all began laughing but stopped abruptly when they heard quick footsteps coming down the stairs. Bill quickly flicked his wand and all the candles in the room lit up.

Glad that Bill was the “cool” older brother, Harry pulled Ginny to him as he sat on the bed. Bill started talking as if he was in the middle of a thrilling story about a tomb raider while Ron and Hermione tried to wipe the last signs of sleep from their faces. Just as Bill was saying, “And BAM!…And that was the last we heard of Rowan Sazil,” Mrs. Weasley poked her head into the room.

“Now I know I said you all were old enough to pick your own curfew, but it is two thirty…”

Bill jumped to the rescue once again saying, “Really Mum?! I’m sorry, it’s all my fault. You know how I get when I talk curse breaking…there’s just no off switch sometimes.” He smiled at her sweetly then and she seemed to give into his puppy dog eyes.

She’s always let Bill get his way… Ginny told Harry mentally.

He knows it too doesn’t he? Harry asked raising his eyebrows at her.

She nodded her head then trying to fight a smile.

“Well alright…Just not to much longer, okay?” They all nodded their heads and said their goodnights to the resident mother before she left for the night. They waited with baited breath until they heard the door to the master bedroom close.

With the light thud of the door, all five of them laughed outright and the four friends announced their gratitude toward Bill. He just smiled and shook his head saying, “I was young once too.”

After another half hour or so Harry finally found himself in bed. What an eventful day he’d had.

Never a dull moment in your life, is there Harry? Ginny’s thought asked him sleepily.

And he had to agree, Never.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Although she was exhausted the next morning, Ginny woke up with a smile on her face. Not only had the previous nights events been enjoyable, but today was the day they would be going to the Potter Manor. She was more than thrilled to see the home she’d be living in after she got married.

Good morning Beautiful Harry said in her head. Are you coming to breakfast soon?

She stretched and sat up as she answered Just changing quick, and I’ll be right there.

Once in the kitchen, Ginny found that there were so many Order members at headquarters that there were no empty chairs around the table. Of course, Ginny didn’t think it was such a shame, considering it was the perfect excuse to sit in Harry’s lap.

“Why are there so many of them here today?” Ginny asked through a mouthful of toast.

Harry smirked and said, “I guess your Mum said that today would be a good day for the “children” to go on a trip because there was an Order meeting planned. She decided to get us out of the way of temptation according to Moony.”

Ginny rolled her eyes at her mother’s attempts to keep them out of harms way. Didn’t she realize that it would make more sense for them to gather all the information they could? She must know by now that all her children, like it or not, would be fighting against Voldemort…

“She probably just won’t let herself believe it Gin,” Harry reasoned, catching the tail end of her thought.

Since the events of last June, Harry and Ginny seemed to have become more attuned to each others thoughts. Not only could they now think to each other, all of their senses seemed to be in sync. Ginny swore when Harry stubbed his toe she felt hers throb as well. Not to mention, she now enjoyed shepherd’s pie, which she used to not even stand the smell of…but it had happen to be Harry’s favorite meal.

Harry thought this was happening because of the torture Ginny had had to go through. It had effected him mentally in ways that he couldn‘t describe aloud, but Ginny understood regardless. He had wanted to take the pain from her, in any way. It seemed as though he had wanted it so much that they now shared everything they felt, physically now as well as mentally: pain, joy, taste, sight, sound. Anything.

“Yeah, well she should,” Ginny said with a shrug and a chaste kiss on the lips before heading upstairs to finish getting ready to go.

Half an hour later, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Tonks and Remus were prepared to leave with a wire coat hanger between the six of them. Feeling the familiar tug behind her naval, Ginny was in a whirl of color for an instant before landing on her feel (much to her pleasure) in front of a set of wrought iron gates with the number 4739 carved into an iron plate on the gate doors.

Harry smiled and gestured to the gate to open up. He made a sweeping movement with him arm, showing his friends the house up the drive. “Welcome to my house.” And with an intense look at Ginny he thought Welcome home Gin. She met his gaze with happiness that she was glad Harry could understand just by feeling it. She never would have been able to express it aloud.

Chapter Endnotes: A/N: I’m BACK! I really hope you guys enjoy this because it took a TON of not only revising but rewriting…multitudes of it…be prepared for a steady flow of updates from now on :o) As a side note, the quote I used for my “Quote from the next chapter” is (obviously) no longer in this chapter. Dumbledore didn’t seem to fit into this part of the story, so you’ll have to wait for your lemon drop. Sorry!
Quote from the next chapter: “Is there really anything else you can say besides, “Fred and George” when something like this happens?” -Bill Please Read and Review!