Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Heirs of the Founders by Lady Snuffles

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: A/N: A visit to Potter Manor; Could there be a better way to end the summer?
Disclaimer: This is Jo’s world…I just write in it…

Chapter Three
Their Last Summer




And she was home.

As the group toured the manor, led by the Potter family house elves Toby and Sophie, Ginny couldn’t help but think she was dreaming. Everything about the house looked as if it had been pulled from her ideal dream home. From the wraparound veranda and climbing ivy, to the quidditch pitch sized back yard (which Harry assured Ron would hold goal posts very soon) that led right up to the bay, Ginny wouldn’t have changed a thing. She knew there would be no homesickness for the Burrow with a home as perfect as this.

When the house elves opened the double doors to the library, Hermione nearly cried. While the room itself wasn’t as large as the Hogwarts library in width, the ceiling was a good fifteen feet higher and the book shelves here were floor to ceiling, whereas the school’s only stood about ten feet high. It was a childhood dream come true for her when the house elves threw open the curtains about the room. It had a similar effect on her as it did Belle, when the Beast had shown her his library, in Hermione’s favorite childhood movie.

Of course, after seeing the dining hall, (which Remus mentioned had been used as a ballroom more often than not) the enormity of the library wasn’t something to dwell on. The hall had a similar amount of floor space to that of the Great Hall, but it was more square than rectangular. Harry enjoyed the thoughts that were entertaining Ginny’s mind as they looked about the room.

How well we ever fill a hall like this without inviting the entire school…although that thought doesn’t sound so bad…maybe if we all make it through the war, we could celebrate together…we could have our wedding here! Wouldn’t an archway look lovely over by-

“Gin,” Harry interrupted with a loving smile. He wrapped his arms around her and said quietly, “We can have it here, but I think it might be a bit on the early side to plan it out,” he said giving her a kiss on the head. “Not to mention, how would Mum feel if she didn’t get a say about where the archway was?”

Ginny gave a snort of laughter and said, “Mum won’t give an opinion, she will decide where it’s going.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The last place to visit on the tour was the guest suite. The common room between the two bedrooms, they were not surprised to find out, was just about the size of the entrance hall at Hogwarts. Each bedroom, one for the boys and one for the girls, held three beds, but Harry could tell that it wouldn’t be hard to add a few more if needed. At the farthest end of each bedroom was a door that led to the largest bathroom any of them had ever seen inside a home. An entrance to the boys, girls, and common room was placed on one wall while the opposing wall was lined with a tub that Harry was sure he could swim in. There were showers on either side of the tub with privacy walls between them and two identical vanities that Hermione swore held more products than Lavender and Parvati had ever owned in their lives. Combined.

After further investigation of their bedrooms, they discovered that the wardrobes were filled with clothing of just the right size for each of them. Sophie had taken the liberty of stocking the house with everything they could possibly need from food and clothing to brooms and board games.

The tour took the rest of the morning and part of the afternoon so they decided on a large supper and skipping lunch all together, much to Ron‘s disappointment. Instead, they decided to walk the beach and find exactly where the potter property ended on the beachfront.

“You four go ahead,” Tonks said when they had reached the beach. “Remus has seen the beach already and my feet are killing me from all the walking so we’ll stay up here.”

“You sure?” Harry asked as Remus and Tonks sat in the sand.

“Definitely,” Remus answered wrapping his arm tightly around Tonks.

They watched as the other two couples walked along the waters edge, their feet just entering the swells of the bay.

Remus laughed lightly and Tonks raised an eyebrow at him questioningly. He shrugged and said, “I was just wondering how long it would take before Ron and Harry threw Hermione into the water.”

Tonks looked surprised at this statement and exclaimed, “It’s only fifty degrees out here! She’ll freeze!”

“No she won’t.” He laughed at Tonks’ bemused expression. “The Potter’s charmed the beach decades ago to keep the water along the property as warm as the Mediterranean Sea.” He grinned as he noticed Hermione fighting off Ron and Harry’s hands with Ginny nearly doubled over in laughter. “And it is for that reason, that I thought that would happen,” he said as, with a great splash, Hermione was thrown into the bay laughing the whole way.

Over the course of the next couple minutes, all four teenagers managed to find themselves in the bay laughing and splashing at each other.

“This is the way it should be,” Remus muttered, just above a whisper.

Tonks touched his face lightly pulling his gaze towards her. “What should be?”

He nodded his head in the direction of Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny. “The way they should be. They’re only teenagers…still in school. It should always be like this for them. Fun summer games, trips to the beach, carelessness…they shouldn’t have to worry about who the paper is going to tell them died in the morning.” He let out a great sigh, as if he’d been holding it in for quite sometime, then kissed Tonks on the forehead.

“He’s happy you know? Being here with you,” Tonks said looking deeply into his eyes. “Harry cares about you so much Remus. He’s really begun to look at you like a father.”

Remus smiled a sad smile and said, “I wish I were fit to be a father.”

Tonks was on her knees in front of him in a flash. She glared at him as she spoke quietly, menacingly. “You must stop falling into your depressive self pity. You are more fit to be a father than most men I know. Who sodding cares if you’re a werewolf?” He looked away from her then, anything to avoid eye contact. And she would do what ever it took to make him look back on his own. “Harry doesn’t. Ron, Hermione, Ginny…they don’t….I don’t.” He glanced up at her and then quickly away again. “Do you think a child of yours would love you any less, just because of who you are?”

His gaze was piercing then. She found it. His reason for not wanting to have children. He didn’t think a child could love a werewolf father.

She placed her hand on his cheek just as the solitary tear fell onto it. She was surprised when Remus mimicked the gesture and wiped the tears clean from her cheeks…when had she started crying?

“Remus,” she breathed. Her voice changed then, back to it’s strong, yet understanding tone as she said, “Any child of ours, made from our love, will love you. Don‘t ever doubt that.” She took his hand from her cheek and placed it on her stomach. “This child will love you.”

Remus choked back a sob as he stared into her eyes. “You’re pregnant?” he asked, unsure of what this would mean for them. He loved her and she loved him…and they would love this child. Did anything else really matter then?

She nodded her head, tears still falling down her cheeks. She dropped his gaze, unsure of how he would take the news. Just as she dropped her head, however, his hand was behind her neck pulling her toward him. He kissed her, gently at first, but he could feel the passion rising in her as she pushed him backwards into the sand. Chivalry aside, he kissed her without abandon and at least for a little while, forgot about everything else but them.



“You sure?” Harry had to ask. The beach was too beautiful for him to believe that Tonks wanted to sit and watch.

Remus gave Harry a pointed look that said more than his words. “Definitely.”

Harry gave a shrug and kicked off his shoes. The others followed suit and the four friends were soon walking along the swells. Hermione was, quite obviously, avoiding the water and chose to walk where the sand was dry.

“Not afraid of water, are you Hermione?” Ron joked, also noticing her behavior.

She shrugged and answered, “No, it’s just a bit chilly out…you know what your mum says about wet feet on a cold day…”

Harry and Ron looked at each other over Ginny’s head with a mischievous grin. Hermione, obviously, had yet to feel the water.

You wouldn’t! Ginny exclaimed in her head, laughing at the same time.

Oh, we would! Harry thought. At the same time as Hermione’s reaction to Ginny’s giggle, Ron and Harry both made a grab for her, trying to get her high enough in the air to throw. She fought, valiantly mind you, against them until she was consumed with laughter and was flung into the warm waters of the bay.

As Ginny was doubled over in laughter, Harry thought this the perfect opportunity to have a replay of events. With his thought as a warning, however, Ginny was smart enough to grab a hold of his neck as he threw her, taking him along for the ride. With a great splash and much laughter, the three, thoroughly soaked friends, managed to pull Ron in with them.

After some time, Ginny, Hermione, Harry and Ron walked back up the beach to dry off and collect their shoes. As they got closer to the adults however, they weren’t sure whether to interrupt or simply walk back up to the house. Harry thought of what the look on Remus’ face would be when he realized that his charges were no longer there and decided it was best to intrude on his guardians.

“So is this what it’s like to walk in on your parents?” Harry found himself asking his friends.

Remus and Tonks pulled apart quickly. Tonks stood up and said with only the slightest hint of an embarrassed waver, “Wotcher Harry.”

“Pretty sure Remus had that covered,” Ginny muttered under her breath, just loud enough to break the tension and get everyone laughing. She’s pregnant. Ginny thought to Harry as they walked back toward the manor.

Harry gave her a surprised look.What makes you say that?

Look at her Harry, she’s glowing. And since when does Remus wrap his arm around her so that his hand rests on her stomach?


Harry’s eyes grew wide for a second before smiling slightly. Perceptive little witch, aren’t you?

It’s one of my finer features,
she thought, wringing her hair out. With a sly smile she added, and you love me for it.

Harry laughed, grabbing her around the waist and spinning her in a circle. He placed her gently back on the ground and buried his face in her hair. Of course I do.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The rest of the evening was spent eating dinner, playing games, and talking much later into the night than they had originally intended. With goodnights all around, the boys and girls went into their respective bedrooms and dropped off rather quickly, given the days events.

The next morning, Harry was the first to wake, followed closely by Ginny and Remus. They made their way down to the Morning Room for breakfast and were joined by Hermione, Ron and Tonks (in that order) within the hour.

Much to Harry’s delight, Remus seemed to be happier than normal, especially when he made eye contact with Tonks. He looked younger, in Harry’s eyes. It made a remarkable difference and he when he told Tonks this she beamed at him and gave him a hug, kissing him on top of the head.

“I hope you know how happy you make him too Harry,” she told him earnestly. “He never thought he’d have a kid…and here you are, treating him like a father. It’s wonderful to see him embrace a part of himself he didn’t think he had.”

Harry gave her a mischievous smile and said, “Are you sure there isn’t another reason for him to be acting that way?” He gave a pointed glance at her stomach and met her eyes again, raising his eyebrows at her as if daring her to lie.

Tonks opened her mouth, closed it again with a contemplative look and opened it again to ask, “Will you keep it a secret? At least for a little while?”

Harry smiled at her and said, “Ginny’s the one who told me, but I’m sure between the two of us, we can keep it under wraps.”

Mum’s the word! Ginny thought to him from across the room. She caught Tonks’ eye and gave her a wink. Tonks let out a sigh of relief and smiled greatly.

She gave him a joking look and asked “Hey, Harry, guess what?”

He laughed and said, “I don’t know Tonks, what?”

She put both hands on his shoulders and answered, “You’re going to have a little brother!” Harry’s jaw dropped for a second. He picked it back up and contemplated the idea of a sibling. Understanding his confusion she continued, “When I sign my name on that marriage certificate next to Remus’ I will also be signing as your godmother.” Harry looked up at her with an expression of fondness in his eyes. “I’m sure that we will always have a better relationship as friends rather than parent and child…frankly, I would find that a little strange considering our age difference is smaller than mine and Remus’…but I want you to know that I’ll always be here for you in whatever light you want to see me in. And this child,” she said placing a hand over her stomach. “I want this child to look to you like the brother you never had a chance to have.”

Harry, who had unshed tears in his eyes, enveloped her in a hug and choked, “I’ve always wanted a family to call my own.” He blew out a great breath and took a step away from her, still holding her hand. “Thank you.”

“No, Harry,” she contradicted, placing her other hand on top of his, “If it hadn’t of been for you, I don’t think Remus ever would have come around to being in an open relationship, let alone getting married and having a child. You showed him that he didn’t have to be alone anymore…he could see the care you have for him. He returned that care in kind to both of us Harry, and for that reason I thank you.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The group had spent the rest of the afternoon at the manor, and then left to be back at number twelve by suppertime.

When they arrived back at headquarters, however, they found the kitchen deserted rather than being used to prepare for supper. Curious, the six friends walked up the stairs and into the living room where they found a very red faced Mrs. Weasley. And they could all understand her frustrations by looking around the main floor. Every floorboard and tile, wall and ceiling, sofa, chair and rug was obnoxious shades of either orange, green, or magenta.

As Bill passed them Remus asked what had happened to the house. Bill just shook his head and said with a laugh, “Is there really anything else you can say besides, “Fred and George” when something like this happens?”

They shared a good laugh as Bill told them Fred had bumped into George while carrying their test product, thus ending in the entire first floor of Grimmauld Place to be changed into a neon color.

After nearly an hour of being subject to Mrs. Weasley’s rage, the twins had to change back every part of the house that had changed color. The problem was, the countercharm could only be done in increments of one square foot. This left the twins to be up until quarter to four in the morning saying “Fix the mess we made.”

The next few days followed as the rest of the summer had. Harry and Ginny had finally finished paging through all of the books in the library on the same day that their Hogwarts letters came. To no one’s surprise, except maybe her own, Ginny managed all eleven outstanding O.W.L.’s and Mrs. Weasley decided on getting Ginny a gift for all her hard work paying off. It took Ginny a while to decide between an owl or a cat but when Harry insisted that Hedwig was now her owl too, Ginny decided on an kitten. Later that night when Ron and Hermione opened their letters, they discovered that they were the new Head Boy and Head Girl. Mrs. Weasley was so thrilled that she made Ron’s three favorite dinner’s all at once. Harry and Ron both gave each other quizzical glances when they realized that neither of them was quidditch captain. They were the only seventh years after Seamus said he didn’t think he’d come out for the team this year with N.E.W.T.’s. Harry had a feeling that quidditch wouldn’t be on their minds as much as they’d like it to be this year.

Mrs. Weasley, Tonks, Remus and Bill chaperoned for Ron, Hermione, Ginny and Harry on their trip into Diagon alley. Harry and Ron both needed new school robes because of how much they had grown over the summer, so while they were getting measured, the girls went to get all of their books from Flourish and Blotts. They all met up again at the apothecary to refill their potions ingredients and then they stopped by the pet shop for Ginny’s kitten.

There was quite the selection but Ginny knew which one she wanted the second she walked through the door. A black kitten with fur sticking up in all directions and bright green eyes drew her attention immediately. “I’ll name him Nox, because he’s black,” she told them. At their confused looks she said, “Nox…the Lumos countercharm….lights out, darkness…black kitten.” There were noises comparable to “Ah,” as Mrs. Weasley went to pay for the cat and it’s necessities.

“Aw, Harry!” Hermione whispered excitedly. “He looks just like you.” She smiled and indicated the kitten’s messy fur.

Harry ruffled the cats fur and gave a sarcastic laugh to Hermione on their way out the door. Once they had finished their shopping and picked up Harry and Ron’s new robes, the group decided to stop at Florean Fortescue’s Ice cream parlor. After passing around each others sundae’s to test as many flavors as possible, the group headed back to Grimmauld Place.

Finally, it was the last night before heading off to Hogwarts. Harry, Hermione, Ginny and Ron were up on the rooftop staring at the stars and talking about anything and everything that came to mind. It was in one of these conversations when Ron asked, “This was our last summer wasn’t it?”

Ginny gave him a quizzical look and asked, “What do you mean?”

“Well not you Ginny, you’ve got one more I suppose…but for the three of us…real life starts after we graduate doesn’t it? Tonight is our last night to be kids in a way.”

Harry let out a laugh. “Have we ever spent the summer being kids? For the last three we’ve been surrounded by Order members haven’t we? And the one before those we were involved in a Death Eater attack at the quidditch cup!”

“I know I sure felt like a kid again this summer,” Hermione said wistfully. “It was just so much fun most of the time…and I don’t know of many adults that throw their friends into a bay,” she laughed. “But you’re right Ron…after tonight, everything just…changes…it’s like…”

“Hello, Real World,” Harry finished for her at her seeming lack for words.

“Yeah,” Hermione and Ron chorused together.

All four of them burst out laughing at this; Their moment of nostalgia was forgotten, however, as they broke into stories of their past.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“Come on Ron, we’ve only got an hour before we leave. Your mum’s going to go banshee pretty soon,” Harry told his friend, shaking him roughly.

Ron mumbled an all too familiar, “Geroff,” before Harry turned to Ginny.

“You’d think that after six years of school together, he would wake up when I told him to…”

“Ha! You’d think that after seventeen years of living with Mum, he’d get out of bed when he was told,” she countered. Then, with a voice so much like Molly Weasley’s, it frightened even Harry, Ginny leaned in next to Ron’s ear and yelled, “Ronald Bilius Weasley! Get out of bed this instant!”

Harry wasn’t sure if he’d ever seen anyone that far off the ground without a broom before.

Even with his late start, Ron was ready to leave when everyone else was. With their Hogwarts letters, the occupants of Number Twelve, Grimmauld Place were sent a portkey that would take them to Platform 9¾. Dumbledore was wary of an attack so he was having all of the students arrive by portkey.

Once at the station, Molly gave a round of hugs to the students before breaking down into terrible sobs over her “Little Ronnie’s last school year.” Ron gave her another hug and gently reminded her that if he decided to be an auror, there was at least three more years of school for him. This thought seemed to comfort her for the time being and the four students brought their luggage onto the train.

They had been among the first students to arrive on the platform so there were many compartments to choose from. They picked the one directly behind the compartment used for the Head’s and Prefect meetings so that Ron and Hermione wouldn’t have far to go once they assigned jobs for the prefects.

The students went back onto the platform then to say farewell to their elders. They were in for a surprise, however, when Remus and Tonks said that they were boarding the train as well as the students. It was, “More precaution,” as Tonks had put it, but they were delighted nonetheless. Everyone had become very fond of Tonks and Remus over the summer and the more time with them, the better in Ron, Ginny, Hermione and Harry’s eyes.

Ginny saw Colin and she gave him a running hug. They had become close friends over the past school year when she had stood up to the Slytherin seventh years for him. They had been beating him up and accusing him of being gay. Once Ginny had given them a piece of her mind, (and a few well aimed hexes) they had run away, tripping over themselves in the process. It wasn’t until after Ginny had made sure Madam Pomfrey fixed Colin up right and they were walking back to the common room that Colin told her he was, in fact, homosexual. They had been very close friends ever since, owling each other at least once a week throughout the summer.

You know, if I didn’t know better, I think I’d be a wee bit jealous, Harry laughed in his head, watching Colin giver Ginny a kiss on the head.

Well he doesn’t know you know… Ginny began worriedly, noticing the looks she was getting from other students.

Don’t worry about it, Gin. I won‘t let on. He smiled and approached them. Wrapping his arms around Ginny, he asked, “Did you want to join us Colin? There’s only four in our compartment right now.”

He smiled and answered enthusiastically, “Sure, that would be great! Where’s it at?”

“Second from the front of the train,” Ginny answered.

“Swell! I’ll see you guys up there soon then.” With that he picked up his trunk and carried it to the train.

Harry and Ginny returned to the group they had left and saw that Mrs. Weasley was on her third round of hugs and was starting to cry over Ron again. Harry placed a hand on her shoulder and said, “Don’t worry about him, Mum. I’ll look out for Little Ronnie here.” He smirked at Ron while Mrs. Weasley engulfed Harry in another bone crunching hug.

“You’ve been such a good boy Harry! I remember the first time I met you…right in this station! Such a sweet little boy, all alone…I’m so glad you found us Harry.” Mrs. Weasley was in full mum-mode now, brushing off his shoulders, trying to fix his hair, and the like. “Be good dear,” she told him tearfully.

With a final round of hugs, Harry, Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Tonks and Remus boarded the train. The adults left shortly after seeing the students to their compartment and Ron and Hermione didn’t stay much longer after that. Colin joined Harry and Ginny once the train started rolling. The three of them decided to play a game of exploding snap while waiting for the others to return.

While playing, Luna and Neville joined the group. Remus and Tonks checked in with them throughout the trip and the witch with the food trolley came by just after Ron and Hermione rejoined them. The seven students were enjoying a meal of sweets when Dean and Seamus joined the fray. Within a few minutes, Lavender and Parvati had also found their way to their compartment and they all realized how silly they must look with eleven students, most of them full grown, inside one compartment. Some people were seated on the cushions, others were on laps and on the floor where it just looked like a mess of limbs. Colin had been snapping pictures the whole time and the group shared a laugh when Tonks took the camera to get a picture of them all together. Harry wanted to be sure to get a copy of that photograph for his album.

It suddenly hit Harry then, that this was it. It was his seventh year. His last year. This would be his last train ride to Hogwarts. He looked around himself and realized that this was the way he should be spending it. Was there really anything better than just goofing off with a group of friends…family really. He thought back to his first day at Hogwarts, when Professor McGonagall had told them that their house would become their family while at school. He saw just then how much they had grown together over the last few years.

And what a family they were.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Great Hall was as extravagant as ever and the enchanted ceiling was mimicking the beautiful starry sky outside the castle. The sorting went by quickly with only the smallest warning from the Sorting Hat saying to stay together and break the barriers between the houses. They feasted on everything within reach and ate until they thought they would burst. It wasn’t until then that Professor Dumbledore stood to make his announcements. He raised his hands and the hall quieted, all of the students anticipating his speech.

“Welcome back to another year of education at Hogwarts! With all that has happened over the last couple of months, I believe we should heed the Sorting Hat’s warning and stick together; Let us break the invisible walls that separate our four houses!” He paused then, allowing for the small and unexpected applause to quiet. “I am sure many of you have noticed the aurors here in the hall and on the train.” He nodded to Tonks and Remus on one end of the staff table and Kingsley Shaklebolt on the other. “They were here today because of the dangers outside of the school walls. While I have the highest faith in the wards and enchantments that protect the grounds, I cannot say, with any guarantee, that they will last. For this and many other reasons, the staff and I have come to the decision to cancel the quidditch season this year.”

Dumbledore paused again, allowing the disappointment, as well as forms of verbal abuse, to flow over the students, and waited for silence. When all was quiet he continued. “I understand your frustrations, as I too enjoy a good game of quidditch, but under the current circumstances, a game with such an audience would stand as too much of a target for an attack. Until a time when we can guarantee your safety, quidditch is canceled.

“On a much happier note I am pleased to bring an old colleague back to our staff. Unfortunately for us, Professor Krum needed to return to his quidditch obligations but I believe I have found a suitable replacement. Allow me to reintroduce to you, Professor Remus Lupin.” The students fifth through seventh year were on the feet in seconds, all of whom remembered their best Defense Against the Dark Arts professor. Harry wasn’t sure but as the students applauded, he thought he caught the faintest blush on Remus’ cheeks.

Ginny punched Harry on the arm with more force than really necessary and asked, “Why didn’t you tell us?”

“I didn’t know!“ Harry rubbed his arm and defended himself.

“Well at least he’s back. He really was the best professor we’ve had,” Hermione reasoned. “Think of how much more we could have learned if he’d been teaching us from the get-go.”

Professor Dumbledore called for silence again for the final announcements, which included Filch’s ban on the recent Weasley Wizard Wheezes products, and sent the students off to bed. Harry and Ginny made their way up to the staff table while Ron and Hermione led the first years up to Gryffindor Tower. Remus caught a glimpse of them and turned sheepishly to finish his conversation with Firenze. Harry and Ginny waited with identically raised eyebrows and lopsided smirks. After a few moments Remus finally turned toward them, guilt plain on his face.

Harry shook his head at his guardian and admonished, “Just when you finally get the four of us to stop calling you Professor.”

Ginny cracked a smile at this and Remus laughed outright. “Guilty as charged,” he said. “But I’m not the only one who should be on the receiving end of a Weasley glare,” he said looking pointedly at Ginny. “Tonks isn’t just here tonight.” The two students gave him a weird look so he continued. “Tonks has been assigned by the ministry to watch you Harry. They seem to be afraid you might go off on another exploit across London, or find yourself in the hands of a mass murderer again.”

Harry gave a disgusted look and said, “So the ministry decided to give me a babysitter? For Merlin’s sake, I’m seventeen! Shouldn’t they at least ask for my consent first?”

Remus just shrugged and said, “At least it’s someone you like.” He gave a look around him before dropping his voice and leaning in. “And please Harry, for my sake, stay out of trouble. I don’t know what I would do if something happened to her. Especially with the baby on…” he cut off quickly and stared at them wide eyed.

He was grasping for an explanation when Ginny said, “It’s alright Remus, we already know.” When he gaped at her further she continued, “She’s glowing Remus, it wouldn’t be hard for someone who knows her to figure it out.”

He took a glance toward Tonks where she was in conversation with Dumbledore. He smiled to himself and asked, “She is glowing, isn’t she?” With a shake he got back on track and gave Harry a serious look. “Just please stay out of trouble. She already told me she wouldn’t leave field work until she was so pregnant she couldn’t walk anymore…inside Hogwarts was the safest thing she would agree to and even this I’m not really sure about. I know you behaved last year, so please do the same this term. She’ll be following you to all of your classes and D.A. practices.” With a knowing look and a glance toward Ginny he added, “And anywhere else you go. Broom cupboards included.”

Harry stared dumbfounded and felt a blush creep up his neck. He was about to respond when Ginny took him by the arm and said, “Why don’t we head up for the evening Harry? All the other students have left.”

Harry just nodded and said goodnight to Remus, barely noticing that Tonks had followed them out of the Great Hall. She had caught up with them at the top of the stairs and they discussed how and when Tonks would be with Harry. By the time they had made it to the portrait hole, Harry was under the impression that Tonks wished the exact opposite as Remus. She had informed him that because she was hired by the ministry, not by the school, Harry could break as many school rules as he wanted under her supervision and she didn’t have to tell the faculty anything. Of course she wouldn’t be likely to keep a secret from Remus if he was putting himself in danger, but the occasional nighttime stroll to the kitchen was just fine with her. Harry just needed to inform her when this would happen or there would be hell to pay.

They bade each other goodnight and Ginny and Harry both gave Tonks a hug. Harry was about to ask where she would be when she wasn’t with him, but she turned around and said, “If you need anything else, I’m staying in Remus’ quarters. You remember where that is right?”

“Of course,” Harry said genially. He waved her a goodnight and he and Ginny headed into the Gryffindor common room. They were slightly surprised to find it empty until they realized that Hermione was Head Girl and classes started in the morning. They said goodnight to each other and headed up to their dormitories before Hermione could come down and chastise them for being up late.


Chapter Endnotes: A/N: I’m so glad to be back and writing for you all again! Let me know what you think with your reviews! Quote from the next chappie: Professor Dumbledore had a rarely seen look on his face. Harry might have labeled it as dumbstruck but he couldn’t be sure as he had never imagined his headmaster to be a step behind anyone. Ron on the other hand looked like a cat who had just eaten a canary.