Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Albus Potter and the Year of the Badger by Sly One

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes:

The rest of Albus' first week at Hogwarts. Normal...for Hogwarts!

Due to that nasty 501 message I had to break this Chapter into two parts. This is the second.

As they left the classroom, he heard a voice come from behind him, "Try not to lose your breakfast this time Potter." He turned to see a couple of Gryffindors laughing as they headed down the hall. Rick Cresswell walked by with Thor Boot, shaking his head in disgust, showing his loyalty.

They didn't have a class until midnight Astronomy, so the rest of the day was theirs. They walked down to Professor Krum's ship to check on him. While they were there, they were given some wonderful native Romanian lemon bread, called Prajitura cu lamaie that his lovely wife baked for them to show her gratitude. Professor Krum complimented Scorpius on his flying, and brusquely thanked Albus and Rose for salvaging the bad situation.

"I might haf lost a student, zat botherz me more than my injuries," he remarked as he stiffly sat at the stove fingering this strange little triangle-in-a-circle-wrapped-in-chains charm he had around his neck on a silver chain. "I should aff checked the Bludgers vhen you varned me. I am sorry." Albus accepted a grateful handshake from the tall man that made his hand sore for an hour after.

They went back to the castle, picked at their lemon bread-spoiled dinner, ignored some glares and barbs from Gryffindors in the Great Hall, and went down to the Cellar to work on their homework for Potions and Charms.

Later that night, after their first Astronomy class with the Slytherins, Albus discovered that not all of the students were ungrateful for his heroics the day before. The pretty Hufflepuff with the perfect blond hair, introduced herself.

"I'm Summer Sutherland," she informed as she shifted her telescope to under he other arm . "Thank you for saving us yesterday. You were very brave."

Albus nodded awkwardly, not sure what else to do. She smiled, flashing dimples as she walked by, trailing some floral perfume. The small, shy girl with glasses that always seemed to trail Summer passed by in her wake, she paused just long enough to murmur, "Yes, thank you."

Then having exhausted her ability to communicate, she scurried off, holding her books and telescope tight to her chest like a shield.

"Who was that?" Albus asked as she gave him one last look back before she turned the corner.

Rose snickered, "Wipe the drool off of your chin first."

"Not her, the second one," Albus insisted.

"Iris Ivy. She and Summer hang out a lot. I don't know why. That's the most I've ever heard her say. Summer said her parents have Druid ancestors, they named all their kids after things in nature. "

Albus thought about the plain looking girl being friends with the obviously attractive Summer. Suddenly, he realized looking at Scorpius, he was going to be the plain looking guy with a attractive friend dragging him around.

They passed Growltooth on the way back to the Cellar, and the goblin gave Albus a knowing, creepy smile. Albus tried not to acknowledge he had even seen the goblin, but he got a shiver up his spine.


The next day, there was no Howler for Scorpius, much to his relief; but they still hadn't heard from Professor Pharrel. Opting for patience, the decision was made to wait and talk to him in Defence class, which was scheduled for Friday.

Today all Albus could think about was, it was time for Professor Longbottom's Herbology Class.

This was the only class that James had ever commented on, and he called it brilliant.


They arrived at the interior entrance to the Arboretum, same time as the Slytherins, currently sneering as they pulled on the required gloves and protective goggles clearly ready to hate this next class instantly.

With a hiss of pressurized air, they all entered the Arboretum, and just stopped and stared. The sheer mass of the place wasn't the only thing that was stunning; the variety of plant life was jaw dropping. They were greeted by four stories of walkways and open air. The green, spelled, outer glass wasn't tinting or taking away from the colours within, but enhancing them.

They saw different eco systems just from their vantage point on the first level. Over to the left were a group of tropical plants being rained on by small contained storm clouds, while just across the path there was some desert flowers and exotic plants growing out of sun blasted rock and sand, a small globe of light hovered over head, obviously giving off heat, but the temperature within the arboretum remained comfortable.

Standing in the middle of the pathway, with his hands behind his back, goggles forgotten on his head, was Uncle Neville. He looked like an excited kid showing off his creation.

"Welcome to the Sprout Arboretum." he announced.

Not long after they were being led through pathways and stairways, spiralling up to the top, Albus' head felt like it was going to explode from all of the sights he was taking in.

They walked past winter landscapes and tundra with crystalline glass looking plants, they passed what appeared to be a rocky mountainside with plants growing out of the side, there was a gentle wind blowing throughout the place. It had a white brick path that wound all through the vistas, and older students seemed to be taking care of the plants dictating their results to Quick Quotes Quills. the panorama was nearly overwhelming. Albus had been given a book to read while he stayed at Aunt Hermione and Uncle Ron's that reminded him of this place, it was called Alice. and Wonderland.

"After the Battle of Hogwarts, several things became apparent," Neville explained. "First, was the significance of Magi-plant life in defensive applications, and secondly the lack of funding and focus on Herbological studies needed to be corrected."

Neville paused as someone from the back of the group chuckled derisively. Far from being put out, he actually smiled. "Ah, we have a sceptic in our midst," he challenged gleefully. "Please step forward."

A smaller dark curly-haired Slytherin boy, boldly stepped to the front.

Neville nodded to himself. "Ah, Mr. Kerry, Kian. Son of Krystoph Kerry, I presume?"

Kian sneered. "Yes, and he said this arboretum is the biggest waste of Ministry funds he has ever seen."

Neville nodded. "Well, that is one man's opinion. What is your objection, young master Kerry?"

Kian rolled his eyes. "Plants used in defensive applications, I mean, really!"

Neville waved the class over to a particularly spectacular plant with multi-hued blooms that seemed to change with the angle and light. "Mr. Kerry? Did your father teach you, legally of course, about any offensive spells? Like, Stupefy, for instance?"

Kian shifted nervously. "Of course he did. What has that to do with the subject?"

Neville bent down and plucked one of the blooms gently and pinned it to his lapel like a boutonnière. "Please, if you don't mind, stun me."

Kian backed away. "You're a nutter! I'll get suspended!"

Neville smiled. "Let me assure you. I give you my word, you will not be suspended. Please proceed."

Kian thought about it a moment longer, then whipped out his wand and bellowed, "Stupefy!"

A bolt of red light left his wand and shot out at Neville. Suddenly it impacted on what looked to be a globe of solid, multi-hued energy surrounding the man, and shot back to Kian. He was bathed in a nimbus of crimson, and began to fall to the floor when Neville's own wand shot out in a blur and he bellowed, "Rennervate."

Kerry revived before he fell, but shock was etched on his face. "W-what was that?"

Neville smiled proudly. "That is a Bastille Rose. It is the only known plant that can protect itself from spells. We are working on an application to create personal force fields for wizards, but as of yet, the protection doesn't last longer than the blooms, which are a just a few minutes.

"That, class, is just one of the applications we are working on. Let's head over to the classroom."

They followed him to a glass enclosure on the first floor which turned out to contain a classroom with tables complete with their own sinks. The rest of the class went quickly, with Neville assigning them some reading, and answering any questions related to curriculum.

As he dismissed them, he made one last statement, "Just so you know, class, I don't believe in belittling, or humiliating students as a way to educate them. Mr. Kerry I apologize for using you as a demonstration, but I believe I made my point?"

Kian's face was flushed in anger, but he nodded, his eyes narrowing.

"Class dismissed."

As they filed by Albus and Rose paused, to "give Uncle Neville their love."

"Uncle Neville, is Professor Hemophilius a vampire?" Albus asked.

Neville chuckled. "Well, let's just say that, falling asleep in History of Magic is a little bit more precarious this year than in years past."

With that vague, but dire statement ringing in their ears they made it to History of Magic.


The classroom was lit only with lamps in the walls, the windows heavily curtained. It was furnished like an 18th century salon with panels of opulent fabric recessed in the walls ringed by intricately carved woods. The student's desks were missing, and in their place were antique couches and chairs all in a semi circle around a suspended chalkboard. The floors covered by expensive oriental rugs. Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs situated themselves staring at the surrounding decadence, confusion apparent.

A portrait of a dour looking older man, looking slightly out of place on the wall, was overseeing the students getting settled in. He spoke with a high and reedy voice, "There are some rules to this class you will be required to observe, no one is to look the professor in the eye for longer than a few seconds. No one is to remove the curtains at anytime for any reason. And lastly, there will be no fraternizing with the professor between classes...ever. So ask your questions during the class."

Those ominous words being spoken, Albus expected someone frightening to pop out. But the man walked out of the back office was one of the least terrifying persons that Albus had ever seen.

He looked like a turn of the century dandy who looked barely eighteen years old, with skin so pale as to almost be transparent. His dark hair was tight to his head, and he wore old-fashioned blue velvet garb with an ascot.

He smiled and Albus couldn't detect long incisors. He was beginning to think this was all a joke.

"Hello class, I am Professor Hemophilias. If you will kindly shut up and listen, we can make this as quick and painless as possible."

His tone was pleasant and bored as he began to talk about events occurring in wizard history.

His perspectives on the Historical facts were fascinating, giving insights and details from a first person perspective. But how could a guy that looks like a teenager, possibly be referring to things two hundred years ago like he was there? Albus wondered.

Albus also heard some strange oddities in the way he was teaching them.

"The goblins rebelled, and who can blame them, really, there was blood everywhere. Hemophilius said the word blood with a strange creepy little shudder.

He prowled and lounged and posed. His mannerisms seemed effeminate, but the girls in the room couldn't take their eyes off of him. Every time his bright blue eyes would lock onto one of the female students, the painting cleared his voice and the professor moved on. Albus was finally at enough of an angle that he saw a bit of fang when the professor smiled.

Hemophilias never walked beyond a line in the floor talking to the students without really interacting with them.

They were dismissed and everyone left the classroom quickly feeling like they had just escaped something, they weren't sure what.

Rose tried to put a positive spin on it, "Looks like History of Magic is going to be interesting this year."

Albus sniggered, "You mean it's going to be a pain in the neck."


When that Friday came, Albus' got a visit from Nox. The dark bird swooped down, catching some stares with his long, elegant wings, he dropped some parchment and acted aloof to Albus until he got some toast. After which he nibbled his finger and lifted off.

The parchment was from Hagrid.

Just wanted to remind you, that you and Rose are supposed to have dinner with me tonight. See if your new friend wants to come. He's welcome as well. See you at seven o'clock. Got a surprise for you, but I won't tell you. So don't try to pry.

Love,
Hagrid

He gave it to Rose to read, and asked Scorpius if he wanted to come. Scorpius looked around at all the glares he was getting and nodded.

"A surprise for us? Hagrid can never keep anything secret." Rose commented.

Albus grinned. "Well, we'll have fun not prying it out of him."

They shared a chuckle.


Their first class, Transfiguration with the Ravenclaws, went smoothly.

As they arrived in Professor Bast's bright sunlight room, she assigned them into groups of three, at smaller individual tables not as close to one another as other classes, giving some privacy to the students as they practiced.

She was a talented teacher, who was very vibrant and interesting. And when the time came to turn pine needles into pins, she came over to Albus, Rose and Scorpius.

"Albus I want you to work on this," she said as she placed a block of ice on the table. She winked at him, "Work on turning that into a block of wood."

Albus saw Scorpius turning red trying not to laugh, Rose had her head down, but her shoulders were shaking. Albus glared at them, then tried to transfigure the block of ice.

It wasn't long before Scorpius and Rose were brushing bits of slush out of their hair. Professor Bast never commented, just replaced the block of ice every time, giving him some pointers.

Rose managed to get her pine needle hard enough to stick into the table top, earning her some praise. Scorpius however couldn't get his to harden at all. Rose leaned over. "Your wrist is too loose, sweetie," she said. She batted her eyes at him cutely, he just glowered.

By the end of class, Albus' block of ice was actually showing some wood grain.


Defence Against the Dark Arts with the Slytherins, was a bit of a let down. After seeing all of those trophies in Professor Pharrel's office, Albus expected a lot of first hand knowledge to be imparted. The genial man spent most of the class going over the book, Defending Your Life, that was the listed course text. Any questions that he was asked, was referred to the syllabus. They never even pulled out their wands for practice. With a last reading assignment, the class was dismissed.

Professor Pharrel waved them over as the students filed out.

"I've acquired a broom for Scorpius, I'm putting some charms on it now, legal of course, but I should have it to him by Monday."

Albus clapped Scorpius on the back in congratulations, "Great!"

Professor Pharrel nodded them toward the door without another word.

They speculated as to the type of broom Pharrel was giving Scorpius the rest of the afternoon, Rose not contributing, but rolling her eyes on occasion that she couldn't believe they were still talking about it.


Hagrid received them warmly when they reached the cosy little cabin on the edge of the Forbidden Forest. Fang IV astonished Scorpius at first when he let out a ground shaking bark, but soon he was licking the boy to death, barely being restrained by his master.

Hagrid beamed as he tugged the dog off, "He likes ya, good thing he's just a puppy."

Scorpius went pale. "T-that monster is a puppy?"

"Sure!" Hagrid told him. "He'll grow a bit more yet."

Scorpius tried to be polite. "Oh. That's good to hear."

Albus and Rose spent the next hour gnawing on Rock Cakes, fending off Fang, and watching Scorpius try to choke down dandelion juice for the first time.

Hagrid was uncharacteristically vague about his surprise, all they could get him to say was, ‘You'll see when he gets here'.

"So the surprise is a he!" Rose goaded.

Hagrid clammed up, and glared at them for getting that much out of him.

Soon after, there was a booming knock on the door. Hagrid crossed the room remarkably fast for such a large man.

The person he let through the door was large and muscular, he had a ruddy outdoorsman complexion under his freckles, crew cut red hair with a claw scar across one cheek. He was well into middle age, with grey showing in his thick ginger moustache, and goatee. His attire was strange as well, wearing a dragon hide overcoat with a fang earring. He grinned at the shocked expressions on Albus and Rose's face. "Did someone here order a flying instructor?" he growled.

Albus could only say, "Uncle Charlie?"

Chapter Endnotes:
All Hail JK...to her all money doth go!