Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Different View On Love by helz_belz

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: This chapter is dedicated to my sister Cathy, who I finally told about my addiction to fanfiction. Thank you for laughing at all the right moments when I read this story to you. Big thanks again to my wonderful Beta's Afifa and Alyssa and to JKR for creating the Potterverse.
“I DON’T BELIEVE IT! JAMES POTTER HAS SAVED THE DAY!”

The real James Potter had gone completely white. Lily had done something he wasn’t sure he would even have had the guts to do. Robin had been diving to catch the Snitch, unaware of her surroundings. A Bludger had been flying straight at her head and just as it was about to hit her, Lily had stopped it with her body. He wasn’t sure if she was brave, stupid or crazy.

“LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, EVEN IF YOU AREN’T A GRYFFINDOR, YOU HAVE TO ADMIRE BRAVERY LIKE THAT!”

Lily looked as though she was going to faint. James stood up, desperate to help her in some way. What if her stunning display of bravery had been an accident? James touched his arm, it was almost as though he could feel her pain. Bludgers were painful at the best of times and Lily had rammed straight into one. If she hadn’t been prepared, she would be in shock.

“What an exciting end to a Quidditch match!” the commentator continued in a calmer voice. “Robin Bardona has caught the Snitch, after her Captain took a Bludger for her. There is no doubt about what happened here. James Potter saw that the Bludger was heading for his Seeker, who was too absorbed in the chase to notice, and decided to fly straight into the Bludger, blocking it from its original destination. Roger Fairgon should take notice of this, because that is the sort of bravery that may win our beloved Head Girl’s heart…”

James looked over at the commentary box, but McGonagall seemed to be cheering too widely to notice that the Ravenclaw boy was gossiping again. A gasp went though the crowd. Lily had passed out, slipping off her broom and was falling to the ground. James caught his breath.

Yet, luck was on her side and James exhaled in relief. Eve and Benedict caught her and did a lap of honour before making their way to the ground. The crowd cheered wildly. Benedict and Eve waved and smiled before leaving the pitch, carrying Lily between them.

“And it looks like they are taking James to the hospital wing,” the commentator sighed. “What a fantastic match.”

James just shook his head, hoping he would never, ever have to watch another match like that again.

~.~


“Humph,” Madame Pomfrey huffed as Lily opened her eyes. “I hope I never meet another student that gets themselves into as many dangerous situations as you do. “Despite what you may think, I don’t like seeing you constantly.”

“Sorry for the inconvenience,” Lily muttered, before surveying the hospital wing for the fourth time in a week. It seemed a small fan club had gathered around the foot of her bed. Noticing her eyes were opened, they cheered. Well most of them did anyway. Remus, the only male member of the group, was there too, and though he wasn’t cheering, he did look quite smug.

“How long have I been unconscious?” Lily asked, staring at her arm, which looked completely normal.

“Oh, not long at all,” replied Madam Pomfrey. “I did mend your arm while you were out though, only took me a second. You are free to go, right after you drink this potion.” She rolled her eyes. “Please try not to do anything brave or stupid for the next few days.” She paused. “Especially anything that covers both categories.”

Lily rose to her feet to take the potion from Madam Pomfrey’s outstretched hands. The fan club gasped, causing Lily to roll her eyes. Seriously, some people simply had no lives. She shot a pleading look at Madam Pomfrey, who seemed to understand, shooing out the giggling girls. “Thanks, Lily,” Remus said as Madam Pomfrey was leaving. She gave him an odd look, before retreating into her office.

“So what’s going on?” Lily asked Remus, sipping at the potion. “Who won the match? I couldn’t think clearly after I was hit with the Bludger. Where are the others?”

“Yes, we won. About two seconds after you intercepted the Bludger for Robin, she caught the Snitch. Sirius and Peter went to Honeydukes to get some supplies. Everyone wants to throw a party in your honour. That was some pretty cool flying.”

“I did wh- hold on a minute, they are going to Hogsmeade?” Lily asked surprised.

“Yeah, I know, it’ll take a while. They should be back soon though. They left straight after the match.”

Lily decided to add it to the list of seventy-four thousand things that James’ friends said or did that didn’t make any sense.

“So when does this party start?” Lily asked, changing the subject.

Remus just grinned. “As soon as you get there.”

~.~


Everyone cheered as she walked through the portrait hole and into the common room. It seemed that Peter and Sirius had made it back to before them as three tables had been pushed together, piled high with Honeydukes sweets, butterbeer and many other goodies.

Lily made her way through the crowd, being patted on the back by what seemed like everyone as she went.

“Well done, James!”

“Great job, Potter!”

“Amazing flying!”

“So brave!”

“Thanks for saving me,” Robin said with a smile. “I would have been knocked unconscious, no doubt about it.”

“Um, sure,” Lily said embarrassed, “you did an awesome job with the Snitch.”

After circulating the common room a few times, Lily finally made her way over to James, who was sitting on the couch watching her.

“You really scared me for a minute there,” he commented when she sat down. “I was afraid you were going to hit the ground.” He paused for a second, a glint in his eye. “Did you actually fly into that Bludger on purpose?”

“Sorry for the inconvenience, James, I didn’t mean to stress you out,” Lily said sarcastically. She looked down at the floor, blushing. “No, I didn’t do it on purpose. I was actually running away from that Hufflepuff Chaser. I didn’t even see the Bludger before it hit me. What a complete joke. Everyone seems to think I’m really brave when I’m not.”

“No,” said James, leaning back on the couch. “Lily, you are brave. You chose to fly in a Quidditch match when you have never played before. That takes more bravery then you know.” Lily stared at him open mouthed. “However,” he continued with a sly grin, “I never, ever, want you to play Quidditch ever again.”

Lily laughed. “Afraid you are going to lose your flying reputation?”

James just shook his head. “No, no matter what you look like, I just don’t like the idea of you getting hurt.”

With a last glance at her, he got up and went over to talk to Remus. Lily watched him walk away, and an odd feeling washing over her. One thing stood out foremost in her mind, he wasn’t lying to her, and he had meant every word he had said. He truly cared about her.

~.~


The party raged from late afternoon to evening, then on into the night. Someone had brought in a magical radio, and the furniture was moved to the corners to make a makeshift dance floor. The Gryffindors seized the opportunity and it seemed everyone joined in the dancing with enthusiasm. Year levels didn’t matter, and everyone danced with everyone. At one stage in the evening, Lily had spied Robin and Adam doing a slow dance in the corner, staring at each other like there was no-one else in the room. It was rather sweet, and Lily at least thought they made a cute couple.

However, Lily had little time to ponder the romances of others, because she was hot demand. In fact, it seemed three quarters of the females in the house wanted to dance with her. She knew James was popular, but she had a sneaking suspicion that many of them had just been impressed by his show of ‘bravery’. At many points in the evening she had felt like rolling her eyes. Hadn’t they been watching the rest of the Quidditch match? Were they really that shallow?

The party went on until about twelve, when Sirius stood on top of a table and called for the music to be turned down. “Alright, everyone!” he yelled at the crowd. “We’re going to step up this party and take it to the next level. However, you know our rules. Everyone under the age of sixteen, off to bed.”

There were grumbles and moans, with one kid in fifth year yelling, “Whose rules are they anyway?”

“That’s the way it’s always been,” retorted Sirius. “Sorry for the inconvenience, but you can stay when you are older.”


There were more grumbles and moans, but eventually the younger year-levels made their way to their dormitories. Some tried to stay, but Sirius pushed them all out. Most of the sixth years, and a handful of the older fifth years, looked extra excited. After all, they had never been allowed to stay behind before.

Lily watched Sirius, fascinated. Old enough to stay at a few of these types of parties the year before, she had still decided to go bed with the younger year levels. She hadn’t felt the need to stay behind and witness the drunken antics of her classmates.

However, she had always been interested to see how they were set up. So she watched with great interest as Sirius pulled out his wand, and drew a line in front of the staircase to the dormitories. Then, quietly sneaking outside the common room, he drew a similar line about one hundred metres from the portrait hole.

Stepping back into the tower, he grinned at the remaining Gryffindors.

“If you don’t remember from last year, or you weren’t old enough, this line,” he pointed to the line in front of the dormitories, “stops anyone under sixteen entering. The line outside sets off an alarm if anyone over twenty, namely teachers, walks past. If you hear the alarm, vanish any evidence you can and make your way to the dormitories as quickly as possible.” Lily raised her eyebrows, wondering what Sirius Black could accomplish with his brains if he ever decided to use them for good. “Okay, my dear friends,” he continued, clapping his hands. “Let the real party begin!”

The crowd gave a cheer and the music was turned up. Lily followed Sirius over to the rest of the Marauders in the corner.

“Look what I got,” said Sirius, flicking his wand and muttering an incantation. A bottle flew down from the dormitory and straight into his hands. Even though she was a Muggle-born, after seven years in the wizarding world, she was beginning to be surprised less and less.

However, she had never seen anything like the blue bottle that Sirius was holding. She glimpsed at the label. It was midnight blue, slightly lighter then the bottle, with beautiful mermaids swimming and frolicking on the painted rocks. Knowing Sirius, she had an inkling about what it was, and was just reading the expensive looking golden lettering when Peter answered her unspoken question.

“Mermish Port!” he exclaimed. “Oh man, that stuff is so expensive.”

“And rare,” Remus added with awe, “Isn’t there a twelve month waiting list?”

“Yep,” Sirius replied proudly. “Nicked it from my father right before I ran away. It was his pride and joy. Never drank it, just liked to stare at it.” An evil grin flashed across his face, “Bet he’d be annoyed if we drank it all at once. You boys up for it?”

“Hell yes,” yelled Peter, sending a mock salute Sirius’ way.

Remus sighed. “Why not, if you can’t beat them, join them, right?”

Sirius and Peter laughed and turned to Lily, who was looking at the bottle sceptically.

“Oh, come on, Prongs,” Sirius said surprised. “You are usually the first to agree to my plans.”

“Yeah, I just feel bad letting something so good go to waste,” Lily covered.

Sirius seemed satisfied with that answer. “Trust me, I know. I’m planning on sending the empty bottle to my father as a Christmas present.”

A few others were also summoning bottles and shot glasses from their dormitories. Bottles of Firewhisky, Glitter Gin and other drinks Lily didn’t even recognise were flying though the air, making it impossible to move without being in danger of getting hit. A few people grabbed their bottles and came and joined Lily and the boys in the corner. Sirius opened the port, causing the Mermaids on the label to yell and shake their fists at him. One mermaid, a young girl with long blonde hair, was even crying. Sirius ignored them and began to pour the out the golden liquid into four little glasses.

“Flaming shots for all!” Sirius yelled, setting the shots alight. All three boys downed the flaming liquid.

Lily examined the flaming drink for a second, before simply shrugging. She bet James drank all the time, and his body was probably used to the alcohol. Throwing back the disgusting drink, Lily decided that if she was careful, there was no way that she would end up drunk.


~.~


Before Lily knew it, she was really drunk. Obviously James did not have as high an alcohol tolerance as she had thought. Sirius had continued to hand her drink after drink, until he had chosen other, more noble pursuits, such as dancing in his boxers on the table.

“Come join me, James!” he yelled, swinging his robes above his head. Lily just shook her head, stumbled and fell to the ground. Sirius hadn’t given her any drinks in the last half an hour, but the damage was already done. Lily stared up at the roof. Does it always spin like that?

“Hey sexy,” said two blondes at once, coming up to Lily. “You should be more careful.” Lily blinked. There was only one blonde, Lauren Nertic, from sixth year.

Lauren offered her hand to give her a lift up. Lily staggered and nearly fell over again, but Lauren caught her, “Easy there, tiger,” she cooed. Lily was grateful for the hand, the common room was starting to feel like being on a sailing ship. She opened her mouth to ask when Hogwarts had become sea tight, but immediately forgot what she was going to say. Lauren led her over to a couch, and sat down close beside her.

“You are so handsome,” she said, stroking Lily’s messy black hair.

Lily giggled. “I’m not used to flirting with girls. It makes me a little uncomfortable.”

“Oh, really?” Lauren asked in surprise. “But you are so popular with them! You hide it well.”

“It’s funny,” Lily said, trying to move away from the girl, but her co-ordination failed her. “Usually it is the guys who are attracted to me. In fact there is this one guy in particular who keeps professing his love for me. It’s rather annoying actually.”

Lauren looked at her for a moment, as though trying to decide whether she was being serious or not, before throwing her head back in laugher, “It doesn’t surprise me that guys are after you too. You are so good looking and brave. It was amazing what you did today on the pitch.”

“That was an accident,” Lily said quite seriously. “I didn’t mean to do it.”

“Oh, James,” Lauren sung, hitting her lightly on the shoulder. “Stop being so modest.”

Even in her incapacitated state, Lily felt as though their conversation was going down a bad road. Lily wasn’t even sure if she liked Lauren, let alone trust her enough to be around her when she was drunk. Lily attempted to move, but Lauren prevented her. Before Lily had a chance to see it coming, the girl’s lips were on hers.

“I don’t swing that way,” she spluttered, pulling out of the kiss. “I’m sorry!”

“You’re gay!” Lauren asked, her eyes popping out in disbelief.

“No…,” Lily said, quite confused. James, in his actual form, (which she had gotten quite a good look at) popped into her brain. No, she wasn’t gay at all. She shook her head and laughed. If she was imagining James Potter as a possible romantic item, then she must be really drunk.

“What did you mean then?” Lauren asked, her eyes searching her face in confusion. She seemed annoyed, obviously believing she was the butt of some sort of joke.

“I don’t know,” Lily replied in all honesty. “I mean, I’ve never even kissed a girl before…”

At first Lauren looked shocked, but she quickly schooled her features into a kind smile. “Its okay, James, there is no need to be nervous. I won’t tell anyone. We’ll just have to practise.”

~.~


James usually would feel disappointed that he didn’t get to join in the drinking, but knowing that it was actually Lily stumbling around drunk made it totally worth it. He’d spent most of the night in the back corner, talking to Rebecca and Eve about the match, keeping an eye on Lily and her increasing drunkenness. Laughing to himself, he’d watched her as she was led away by Lauren. He knew what was happening and considered rescuing her, but he still remembered being stranded with Rodger. Some things deserved payback.

However, after he had spied Lauren kissing her, he had decided that it was enough. He was about to go over and rescue her, when Alice discreetly pulled Sirius off the table, climbed on herself and attempted to call silence the chaotic common room. The room quieted down, with most people (the ones that hadn’t passed out anyway) tuning in to pay attention.

“Alright boys and girls,” she called to the party goers, “it’s time for a game.” There were a few cheers, and cat calls from the crowd. Alice grinned. “I suggest, my fellow Gryffindors, a little bit of seven minutes in heaven.” The crowd cheered louder, and out of the corner of his eye, James saw Lauren sit up very straight. He rolled his eyes. For the sake of Lily, he would have to put a stop to that before it got out of hand.

“If you don’t know the rules,” Alice continued. “You go into the closet with someone from the opposite sex, or same sex if that’s what you fancy, for seven minutes of alone time or, as some call it, heaven.” She pointed her wand to one of the cupboards in the common room, which burst open.

There was a mad dash to be first in line, but Lauren was very fast, pulling Lily to the closet door in record time. However, even though she was first to the closet, Alice blocked her path. “Sorry for the inconvenience, Lauren, but you will have to go second.”

James smirked at Lauren. He’d also arrived at the closet quickly, prepared to stop Lauren before she could take advantage of a drunken Lily. However, just before he could make some sort of comment, Alice quickly grabbed his hand and pulled him towards the closet.

James had no idea what was happening, and was about to ask Alice what was going on, when he saw something so disturbing that his heart began to beat faster. Janelle was pulling a slightly tipsy Remus towards the closet. James began to struggle. There was no way he was going in there, but Alice was too strong for him.

He caught a glimpse of Lily, laughing so hard she was crying, before he was pushed into the dark closet. His wand was lying on the table. There was no escape. Remus landed on top of him as the closet door slammed. James quickly scrambled to his feet. He opened his mouth to say something, anything, but Remus cut him off.

“Lily,” he said simply, before leaning in closer…
Chapter Endnotes: Next time on A Different View On Love:

If I told you that would spoil it right? Well, both Lily and James wake up feeling horrible, and Alice says something quite casually that makes James panic.

Thanks so much for reading. Please, please, please review? As for those on the forums, feel free to ask as many questions as you want on my duelling thread. (I'm Merlin_Helz)