Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Truth Universally Acknowledged by luinrina

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes:

Disclaimer:
I don’t own any of the characters or I wouldn’t write fanfiction. Everything you recognise belongs to J.K. Rowling.

The song lyrics are from Can’t Take It In, performed by Imogen Heap, from the soundtrack to The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

This one-shot was written for SPEW LoveNotes 2009, with the prompt “ the quote from Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice “ given by Chelsea (cirelondiel).

I would like to thank my amazing beta Fresca (Colores).

It was a beautiful day that brightened on this morning in July. The rays of the rising sun fell into the room through the high windows, illuminating the dining room in an ocean of warm colours that ranged from golden yellow to flaming red. The beams of light danced over the walls and pictures of snoozing people who, from time to time, stroked over their cheeks as if wanting to brush off the sunlight. The tablecloth gleamed in a bright white that “ if one looked at it too long “ hurt the eyes. And yet, the already warming sunrays welcomed us lovingly into the new day, engulfing us in their gentle touch.

‘Draco, don’t you think it is time for you to marry?’

I revelled in the morning light, but upon the words of Mother, I looked up from my breakfast, staring incredulously at her. ‘Excuse me?’ I asked. She knew that I had understood her question perfectly, and that I would question it. It nearly seemed as if she had waited for it.

‘You are twenty now, Draco, and in possession of a great fortune. Surely you wish for a wife.’

I glanced at my father who sat opposite of Mother. He had yet to say something. But from his expression I learned he would not say anything. He would leave this to Mother and I to discuss it out, not that there would be much of a discussion. And it annoyed me; it annoyed me that I was not allowed much of a say in this matter, and it annoyed me even more that Father remained silent. Surely he had an own opinion on the topic?

After some long moments of silence, I slowly said, ‘I believe I can live without a wife for some time longer.’ My gaze turned back to my mother. ‘I have lived without one for the last twenty years. What has changed that I suddenly cannot live without one anymore?’ I grabbed the napkin that lay in my lap and threw it onto the table, next to my plate, then stood, not waiting for Mother’s reply. ‘Excuse me. There is work I have to do.’ With long striding movements, I hurriedly left the dining room but without letting it appear as if I had run away. A Malfoy never ran away. We rescheduled, but we never ran.

I grabbed my cloak and Disapparated to my office in the Ministry.

‘Good morning, Mr Malfoy.’

‘Mr Malfoy. Good morning.’

I strode past them all. What do these small people matter to me? Then again, if I did not want to do my job alone in the near future, I guess a bit of friendliness would not hurt.

‘Good morning,’ I grunted the next time someone greeted me. It was better than nothing, and besides, after Mother’s ridiculous suggestion over breakfast, this morning was anything but good.

Upon entering my office, I first noticed several files stacked on my desk. The stack was quite high. Suppressing the urge to scream loudly, I went around the desk and grabbed the topmost file, the thickest of them all. Case #27833X4B was written on the folder, and I rolled my eyes. There were many files, and many more numbers, but this number was the one I had in my hands most often.

Apparently, he would never change…

The file was about Mundungus Fletcher and his many misdeeds.

I sighed and put the file back down. The case had caused me many sleepless nights already, and yet it didn’t look like it would be over soon. At least not as long as Fletcher was still on the loose.

With another sigh, I sank into my office chair. Somehow, all energy to work had left my body. This was going to be a long day.

~*~

Ten hours later, the sun had already begun to set when I finally walked out of the office. The stack of files from the morning hadn’t lost much height over the day. How could it when people came into my office, adding more files faster than I was able to take them down and work through?

My rumbling stomach steered my thoughts from work to food, and my nose suddenly registered a sweet, yet spicy smell. I followed it until I stood only a few feet away from a hotdog stand. There were no other clients, and the food smelled delicious, but the sight of the meat somehow ruined my appetite. I decided to grab something to eat in Diagon Alley.

I found an empty alleyway and Apparated onto the threshold of the Leaky Cauldron, an old pub at a crossroad. The windows were greasy, and the sign above the strong wooden door swung in the wind that blew down the empty street. A few Muggles hastened by on the main street, but the little alley the entrance to the Leaky Cauldron was in was lifeless. I wrapped my cloak tighter around me, then entered.

The bar room was filled with people drinking and chatting animatedly, and a thick cloud of smoke hung above the people. No one seemed to notice it; no one got annoyed by the strong smell. I did, though. To escape it, I quickly weaved my way through the tables and chairs until I reached the back door. It wasn’t locked, and I could slip out into the backyard easily.

I didn’t stop to survey the tiny backyard, filled only with some rusty old bins, but took out my wand and tapped the brick wall, opening the door to Diagon Alley, the “shopping street” of wizard folk.

~*~

I could not say exactly what else besides the good food kept me in Diagon Alley that evening. But I enjoyed the quietness of the place. I had got a place in the corner, with a window overlooking the alley. I observed the people, some wrapped into their cloaks and hustling by, others stopping here and there, talking and laughing with people they met.

Slowly, the night fought its way into the alley. The street had nearly vacated, and only a few late shoppers hurried from shop to shop. The setting sun sent a few last rays into the alley that illuminated mostly the roofs only, and shadowy night reined below the light. A sudden breeze swept through the street; I saw the people’s cloaks move in the wind.

I soon paid for the meal and left the cafe, heading back to the Leaky Cauldron. I could have Apparated home, but I was in the mood of using the Floo network instead. Besides, my day had been hard and exhausting, and I wasn’t sure to be able to properly concentrate enough to make it home with Apparition. So, to be on the safer side, I would Floo home. After all, I felt still strong enough to say the address.

On my way down Diagon Alley, I saw a young woman leave Flourish and Blotts. She carried quite some heavy books, from the look of it, pressing them against her torso. Her hair was down, the long dark tresses reaching the middle of her back. It swayed softly in the evening breeze, and I noticed her shivering. I debated whether or not to offer my cloak, but something else on her caught my attention. When she at some point looked up and into my direction, recognition dawned upon me. I had seen her before…


I entered the library, a scowl on my face. How could he dare to give me an extra task for homework? Didn’t I study enough already? But I knew that fuming on the stupidity of teachers wouldn’t help me actually do the task, so I banned the ill thoughts, at least for now. There would always be a later when I could think of how to handle him. Looking around, I then picked a table where I could sit.

Though, when I walked over to the table, a girl ran into me, her nose hidden in a book. ‘Would you mind looking where you are walking?’ I asked her. Honestly, I sometimes wondered how those study-obsessive Ravenclaws were going to manage in life if they were staring into books all the time.

The look on her face was at first one of surprise, then uneasiness. ‘I am sorry,’ she said, shut the book and fled to the table I had decided to sit down at. Of course, I followed her and pulled a chair, across from her place. Just because she had sat down there didn’t mean I would give up my table.

She looked up when I joined her, her eyebrows raised questioningly. I merely shrugged and decided that an additional glare would prevent further inquiries. What surprised me, though, was that I explained myself to her:

‘Everywhere else is full.’

We worked in silence for some time. I wanted to work on my task to return to the common room, but somehow I couldn’t concentrate. I simply had to look at her. She had her hair fastened in a ponytail, and a fringe that went over to just one side of her face. It looked very stylish “ not that I knew anything about girls’ styles, but in my eyes it suited her. Also, she didn’t wear make-up, or if she did, I didn’t see it. She looked like a down-to-earth person, the complete opposite of Pansy, who sometimes looked like those painted Muggle clowns. I thought the girl opposite me attractive.

But I needed to know who she was and if she was worth my attention. That was why I asked, ‘What is your name?’

She looked up, surprised. And just then, for the first time, I saw her brown eyes, emitting warmth. It made her even more beautiful, as good as perfect. After she had clearly contemplated whether or not to tell me her name, she spoke, ‘Astoria Greengrass.’

I didn’t show it, but I was happy she was a pure-blood.


I remembered that day back then clearly. I had been in my seventh and final year at Hogwarts. Lots had happened during those months, but the most spectacular event was “ without a doubt “ the Battle at Hogwarts. And had I not seen it with my own eyes, I would have doubted Potter being able to defeat the Dark Lord.

Also, I owed Potter quite some gratitude for rescuing me from the Fiendfyre. I never showed it publicly, of course; it would have ruined my face. But I did thank him, and we, more or less, buried our rivalries.

When I returned to the present from my memories, I noticed she had gone.

~*~

The snow slowly fell down, covering the frozen ground with a white blanket. It looked so clear against the grey cloudy sky. It was cold, and yet, when opening my palm to catch the snowflakes, they melted immediately, leaving behind a soft touch and a small drop of water.

Winter had fought its way into the country.

I flexed my fingers, eventually forming a fist. Closing my eyes, I lifted my head towards the sky. Now, my warm cheeks caught the snowflakes. I stood like this quite a while, alone with me and the world. Around me was only silence and untouched beauty. Spread around, trees stood, sleeping away in their winter rigour. Their bark was dark, their branches empty. Small icicles hung from the thinnest twigs, quietly jingling in the cool breeze.

Soon, it had stopped snowing, and once the last snowflake had settled onto the white blanket, I continued my way, trudging through the untouched snow. I turned around once and could see my footprints. Nothing stirred around me; that is, until I arrived at the lake, frozen in the winter’s cold. Many people, young and old, had gathered to go ice skating. I watched them for a while, my hands buried deep in my cloak’s pockets. But I didn’t care to join. It was a Muggle sport, and clearly, there were many Muggles ice skating. I needn’t mingle with them.

‘Ow…’

A thud caught my attention. A girl had fallen onto the ice, and from the way she sat, she hurt quite a lot. Without even thinking whether or not she was a Muggle, I slowly stepped onto the ice. Luckily, instead of sliding around like I thought I would, my feet found solid ground, and I could easily walk over to her. My hands grabbed her from behind, encircling her slim waist. With force but still softly, I hoisted her into an upright, standing position. However, even though she was now on both feet instead of on her behind, she still had not found her balance. Her legs kept sliding on the ice. Only slowly, she found the balance again, but until that moment had come, I did not let go of her.

Neither of us spoke, and the people ice-skating around us did not bother to look at what we were doing. But once she stood on her own, she slowly turned around. Her mouth was open slightly, as if she wanted to say something. But it never came. Instead, she looked at me for a long time.

‘It seems that the fall affected your ability to speak as well as hurt your behind,’ I said, feeling put off by her silence. I tried to keep an impassive look on my face. It was Astoria.

Suddenly, she tore her arms out of my grasp on her elbows. Her wish for freedom had a price though; she started sliding around again and lost the balance once more. She flailed her arms. I reached out, trying to get a hold of her again, but I failed.

Cursing so violently that even Slytherin would turn in his grave, she landed on the ice again, the action accompanied with a loud thud. ‘OW!’ she moaned, her face a mask of terrible pain. And for a moment, it hurt me to see Astoria’s warm brown eyes filled with tears.

I bent down and picked her up, like a little child. Of course she protested, trying to wriggle free from my hold with pressing her hands against my chest, but she quickly fell quiet and still again. I only heard a gasp and groan and guessed that the movement had caused her pain.

I carried her to the shore and saw to it that she received the care she needed. Again, we didn’t speak, but while I made sure she wasn’t hurt too badly, the look in her eyes changed. It was as if she had realised something important.

~*~

For the New Year’s party, Mother invited some of the most prestigious families who had daughters of around my age. The Parkinsons stood on the very top of the guests’ list of course. I mentally rolled my eyes; the evening would be boring.

Though, when glancing down the list, I spied names like Moon, Flint or even Greengrass. Would she be there? Was Astoria going to come? I asked myself while half-listening to Mother’s talk. Maybe, but only maybe, the evening might turn out to be a pleasant one for a change. Though, I did not even know why I was so intent on her coming to the party. Did I maybe feel something for her? Something I could not yet define?

When the date arrived, and we were welcoming the guests, my initial hopes about possibly enjoying this social affair had gone. The families that came were all dressed to impress. They were clad in elegant robes, and especially the girls wore the most beautiful and expensive dresses I had ever seen. But none of them interested me. I felt nothing for them all, and could gladly do without any single one of them.

When the Parkinsons arrived, Pansy had to, of course, kiss me on my cheek. I underwent the procedure, knowing that my parents were watching us. And yet, after that was over, she insisted on grabbing my arm and hooking hers into mine. Maybe she thought when looking like a couple she had a better chance had winning my attention? I grimaced inwardly.

The Parkinsons exchanged well-suited pleasantries with my parents, then they moved on, leaving Father, Mother and me to welcome more guests. There came the Moons, the Flints “ Marcus, looking smug in his traditional dress robes, was there, as was his younger sister, Mary “ the Notts, the Hunters and many more. And nearly as one of the last came the Greengrasses. When I noticed Mr Greengrass entering, his daughter Astoria at his side, everything around me became blurred.

She was stunning. She wasn’t just beautiful, no. She was stunning. And all I could do was to stare at her. I knew that she was beautiful; I had known it since I first saw her at Hogwarts in my last year. But I hadn’t taken in what a sight to behold she really was. She was simply marvellous.

The vinous dress she was clad in wasn’t overly fancy or adorned with ribbons or other such falderal; instead, the simple cut brought out her slim figure, and a dark blue belt hugged her hips, showing the onlookers what a wonderful figure she had. The dress’ hem caressed her feet like a silken tapestry moving in a soft summer breeze. The arms were cut wide from the elbow downwards, but they couldn’t cover her perfectly manicured hands. Her raven hair was down, reaching the middle of her back; only a part of it was held back out of her face by a silver barrette in form of a flower. Around her neck hung a simple necklace with a diamond at its front, and earrings completed her amazing appearance.

A hand on my shoulder was the only way to have me divert my eyes and stop starring. It was Pansy.

‘Draco, is there going to be dancing?’ she asked, her fitted facade of honey-sweet annoying me already, not yet five minutes into the evening. ‘Will you be my partner then?’

I looked at her with an impassive expression. ‘I’ll see,’ I eventually replied. Letting her stand there on her own, I went over to the drawing room to where Astoria and her family had vanished.

It took me some minutes to find her among the crowd of people, but once she had re-entered my sight, I didn’t lose her again. Several people approached me on my way towards her, but even while exchanging polite and demanded phrases, I made sure to not lose her again among the guests.

She stood next to a tall-grown man, her father. He was quite a respected businessman, especially in the artefacts and potions branch. But the Greengrasses had owned this branch of the wizarding economy for around six centuries already. Her mother wore a dress so completely different from Astoria’s, as did her older sister, Daphne. The latter had been in my year, a Slytherin just like me.

I remembered Daphne as having been of a more quiet nature, not standing out of the crowd by special beauty or extraordinary wisdom. She had been plain normal. But now, with the dress she wore, surely to gain attention, she looked like a clown, wearing a lot of make-up and generally not looking like someone I would fancy.

Coming to stand on Astoria’s right, I curtly nodded my head in her father’s direction. ‘Mr Greengrass, a pleasure seeing you here at our New Year’s party.’ I then took Mrs Greengrass’ hand and kissed it, mumbling some more pleasantries. She simpered and then laughed artificially, the sound sending shivers down my spine. Oh Salazar, that would become tedious…

‘Mr Greengrass, do you mind if I brought your daughter some refreshments? I’m sure she needs something to drink. After all, it is quite hot and dry in here, isn’t it?’ I didn’t care that I simply ignored the rule of making conversation first. I should have asked him how business was going and such other boring stuff, but I couldn’t be bothered.

‘It would be very generous of you, Mr Malfoy,’ Mr Greengrass replied, smiling widely. I had to suppress a smirk; he thought I meant Daphne, I was sure of it. What was he going to say if it was revealed I was interested in Daphne’s younger sister?

I quickly went over to where a house-elf balanced a table with glasses. I took two, then hurried back. Astoria still stood next to her father, all humble in her expression, but Daphne had turned towards me, a smug smile on her face. I guessed it was because she, too, thought I was presenting her with my attention, but I learned there was another reason as well. I noticed Pansy standing in the middle of the room, the look on her face murderous. That’s going to be interesting, I thought and once again stopped to stand next to Astoria. I held one glass towards her. ‘Please, drink. This is the finest wine we have. It’s a 1950 Burgundy, one of the last bottles available worldwide.’

Astoria’s warm brown eyes opened wide, surprise etched into her features. She, too, had thought my previous attention to be directed towards Daphne rather than her.

Mr Greengrass, shocked, regained his composure quite fast. He said, ‘That’s very kind of you, Mr Malfoy, to share this specialty among the wines with my daughter. Astoria, you should thank him for his friendliness.’ It was subtle, but I could hear the command in his tone nonetheless and see the silent order in his eyes to do everything to keep my attention. I mentally smiled, feeling accomplished.

Once Astoria had tried the wine, I excused her and myself from her father. I then took her around the room to introduce her to some of the other guests, mostly acquaintances of my father. The entire time, I didn’t let go of her elbow.

The last I introduced her to were my parents.

‘Father, Mother,’ I said when approaching them, ‘I would like you to meet Astoria Greengrass, daughter of Perseus Greengrass.’ I could no longer hold back the victorious smile, and Mother raised her eyebrows at me, questioningly. But although her face was the perfect image of friendliness and subtle happiness, an ecstatic gleam appeared in her grey eyes. I guessed she thought I had finally decided on who to marry, but I wasn’t quite this far ahead yet. I admitted, Astoria was attractive, very much so, and I admired her beauty. She had gained my attention, but she had yet to convince me she was worthy of becoming my wife.

~*~

Days went by and turned into weeks. I had decided, after dancing only with Astoria at the New Year’s party, that I wanted her. She had felt good in my arms, so smooth. We had even found some time to talk, and I got to know her a bit better.

She was interested into Arithmancy, Potions and Herbology, just like all of her family was, more or less. Her grades had been good, and she was currently assisting her father at work. In her free time, she liked to read and walk. Astoria also told me that she loved to look into the night-time sky, gazing at the stars.

The last was the reason for me to invite her to a dinner in an exclusive restaurant in London, and afterwards, I would take her to a place where no Muggle lights could disturb the pleasure of star gazing. I even made sure that our house-elf would bring warm blankets and hot chocolate to the place.

Can’t close my eyes
They’re wide awake
Ev’ry hair on my body
Has got a thing for this place
Oh empty my heart
I’ve got to make room for this feeling
So much bigger than me

It couldn’t be any more beautiful “ I can’t take it in.

‘Do you see the star over there? That’s Sirius, the brightest light at night. Many call it “Light of Hope” for it leads them home when they lost their way.’

Her tales about the stars and constellations brushed over me, touching my skin and heart in a soft way, similar to a lover’s gentle embrace. I could feel her body’s warmth beneath the blankets we shared to keep us warm, and I liked having her so close. Did I feel something for her? Yes, yes, I felt something. Something I couldn’t describe and which felt good. It caused a fluttering feeling in my stomach that made it hard for me to eat, and the warmth I felt was like when Mother had held me as a baby. Was that love? Did I love Astoria? If so, was this feeling strong enough to ask for her hand for marriage so soon?

~*~

He was and had been so nice that I had to reassess him. He was no longer the spoiled boy he once was. He was no longer trying to dominate. He went beyond what I had ever thought him able to become. It seemed my first impression had been completely wrong, and mentally, I thanked fortune for having given me the chance to get to know him better. I would be marrying whoever my family thought fitting, and that it could be Draco Malfoy was just my luck. He was good-looking, around my age and seemed to feel something for me which made it a lot easier than when I would have been forced to marry some old and foreign man I had never before met.

His movement in the corner of my eye brought back a memory of when I had been fifteen years old…


I wandered into Flourish and Blotts, without a set purpose. I just wanted to look what new books there were and maybe purchase the one or other. I loved reading and could never have too many books. And everyone who was acquainted with me knew that books were my most favourite past time activity.

‘Good evening, Miss,’ the assistant greeted me with a genuine smile. ‘May I help you?’

I was about to shake my head; I rather liked looking around on my own. But in the last second, I changed my mind and asked him what new literature they had received and he would care to recommend. He gladly showed me the section of newly published prose and fiction, naming some title or another he thought I might be interested in reading. I thanked him with a curt nod, then picked up a book, reading through the summary. It sounded interesting, and I made up my mind to buy the book, though I took the time to look at some more books anyway.

While slowly going around the table the assistant had showed me to, piling a stack of books into my arms, I did not pay much attention to anything happening around me. It should not have come as a surprise that I bumped into someone. The sound of books falling onto the floor let me look up.

‘I’m sorry, Sir,’ I said, and before I could see who had run into, the person had bent down to pick up the books. I then noticed it was a boy. His hair, cut at ear’s length, hid his face while he was crouching down. And never before had I seen such a light blond colour for the hair of a boy.

‘Don’t worry about picking them up,’ I said, obviously quite belated, and picked up the last two books myself. When I stood straight again, I carefully looked at him, waiting for the scowl or angry outburst. It didn’t come so I dared to catch his eyes.

They were impassive and cold.

‘Look out where you’re going,’ he eventually said.

‘I’m really sorry, Sir. I… I will look out more next time.’ I curtseyed briefly, then turned around and quickly walked towards the assistant to pay. I could feel his stare.

The ringing of the doorbell when I left the shop freed me from the tenseness I had felt since bumping into him.


‘This over there is Orion, the hunter. His belt is extremely bright tonight.’

His voice brought me back from the lane of memories I had wandered along. I quickly nodded and said, ‘Yes, it is.’ My eyes then followed his finger while he pointed out the various constellations members of his family were named after, and my ears listened to the quietly spoken words of his. I felt comfortable at his side, felt like it was the place I belonged to be at. It was entirely different from when I had first met him in Flourish and Blotts.

Right then, at this moment, to me it seemed that Draco Malfoy was the right choice for marriage.

I leaned towards him and rested my head on his shoulder. At first, he stiffened, but then he put his arm around me and hugged me closer. I snuggled into his embrace and closed my eyes for a moment, feeling warm all over.

Silence engulfed us, and nothing stirred; only the stars glittered above, and the beauty of the quiet night was amazing.

Then, I felt fingers below my chin, lifting my head up. Draco moved and unsettled me, but calmingly said my name.

When I looked at him, he came closer, until his face was all I could see, and yet he came closer still. A shiver, neither cold nor warm but anticipatory, ran down my back and arms, causing me to develop goosebumps. I closed my eyes, and then felt his lips meeting mine, kissing me softly. It felt good, and I leaned into the kiss, my senses craving for more, to never let go anymore, to never stop. I guessed he felt my need, for he opened his mouth and kissed me more fiercely. A slight shock ran through me when I felt his tongue at my lips, asking for entrance.

I allowed it.

At first, it felt strange and not nice at all, but when his tongue started playing around with mine, all I felt was absolute bliss.

I would never forget my first French kiss.

Weightless in love… unravelling
For all that’s to come
And all that’s ever been
We’re back to the board
With every shade under the sun
Let’s make it a good one

It couldn’t be any more beautiful “ I can’t take it in.

~*~

It was the fourteenth day of February, the day I made a decision that would affect the rest of my life. With a flower, a rose, and a little box hidden in my robes I knocked on the Greengrasses’ door. Their house-elf opened and led me into the drawing room, where the family was gathered. Astoria was sitting at the piano, playing a beautiful piece. I caught her eye and nodded approvingly; I liked what she played. She blushed prettily.

‘Mr Malfoy,’ Mr Greengrass greeted me, putting aside the latest issue of the Daily Prophet. ‘What a surprise to have you visit us. Please, take a seat. Would you like to have something to drink?’

‘Thank you. That would be great.’ I chose a chair to sit in that faced Astoria and the piano. I needed to look at her for even in her simple dresses and clothes she looked beautiful. She was constantly surrounded by an air of elegance that fascinated me and made her special. I needed her, I wanted her.

And I would get her.

‘May I ask what brings you here, Mr Malfoy?’ Mr Greengrass spoke to me, having sat back on the sofa. Mrs Greengrass who had been writing at the davenport across the room when I had entered had come to keep us company. She sat down next to her husband, a welcoming smile on her face.

I looked over to Astoria. She had dropped the volume of the music and was now quietly playing a classical piece. And the entire time she was watching us. I stood and went over to her, giving her the rose with a slight bow. ‘Here is a rose as a token of my admiration for a young woman whose beauty surpasses even the loveliest of flowers.’ The initial look of surprise in her brown eyes was soon replaced with thankfulness and something similar to what I felt deep inside of me.

‘Thank you,’ she eventually said, quietly, and proceeded to smell the rose’s scent.

The impression she gave was cute, and I longed even more to get her. That was why I turned around to her father once again, saying, ‘Mr Greengrass, I would like to marry your daughter, Astoria. Will you give your consent and her hand for me to marry?’

For a brief moment, silence filled the room, but then Mrs Greengrass clapped her hand, exhaling a sigh full of happiness. Behind me, Astoria had got up; I had heard the piano stool being shoved away. But I didn’t face and look at her. I needed Mr Greengrass’ answer first.

He nodded slowly. ‘Yes, yes, you may have my consent and my daughter’s hand for marriage.’

A victorious smile crept into my face, and when I turned back to her, I asked, ‘Astoria, would you like to be my wife?’ I had the small box with the adamantine ring already open to show her. Her eyes went wide, and she looked at me in surprise while I slid the ring onto her finger upon her speechless nod.

~*~

Had someone told me some years ago I would marry the man I loved, I would have thought this person insane. As a pure-blood, I would marry who seems most fit to keep the bloodline pure. Love “ or any other feeling really “ was thought inappropriate.

But then I met Draco Malfoy. At first I thought him a noble and spoiled prat, and really, from what Daphne often told me, he actually was a prat. But something changed. War came upon us, and war usually changes everything, even within ourselves. Draco seemed to have changed to someone softer, to someone who could feel affection for one other than himself. The way he had shown care for me on that one winter day, when I had fallen onto the iced surface of a lake, that had been a different Draco already than the one I had met months earlier in Hogwarts’ library. His eyes were less cold; they now held some shimmer of the most powerful feeling there is: love. Not necessarily love for me; it might be too early for that. But he was able to feel love which gave me the hope that one day he might love me.

And even if he would never love me, he at least would care for me “ enough for me to live with. Also, I shouldn’t forget, he already had shown care for me. I would gain a fortune that would provide for us both and our children so that we would never have to worry about such things. So marrying Draco Malfoy was a good decision. And I would give my utmost to pay him back what he gave me: safety. With his money, my future would be secured. With his reputation, he would prevent anything harmful happening to me. He might even go as far as to protect me physically with his own body should there be need. And I would pay all of it back “ with being a dutiful wife. I would bear him an heir, I would provide him with the love and homey care he needed. He shouldn’t lack anything.

Although, for some moments, I had thought Draco was interested in Daphne and not me, with her being older and already knowing him from her time in Hogwarts and Slytherin, he had chosen me. He had chosen the younger daughter over the older sister. And I “ or my father “ couldn’t have made a better choice when Draco asked for my hand in marriage. And with that knowledge in mind, I answered the official’s question in the ceremony with confidence and willpower.

‘Will you, Astoria Greengrass, take the hand of Draco Malfoy in marriage, in good and in bad times, until death do you apart?’

Becoming Mrs Malfoy was the perfect choice in any way.

‘Yes, I will.’

Chapter Endnotes: Thank you for reading. Let me know what you thought; reviews are love.