Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Dark Phoenix by L A Moody

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: Thanks to J.K. Rowling for allowing me to take her characters for a lengthy stroll through my imagination.





Thirty-Four
Command Performance




Hagrid was still struggling with his waistcoat as he entered the Hospital Wing.

“Evenin’,” he issued lowly with a quick glance at the slumbering children. "Or should I say mornin'?"

With a majestic sweep of her arm, Minerva reinforced the Imperturbable Charm surrounding children’s beds. “I’ve brought you a traveling companion, Remus. One who can catch you bodily when you stumble.”

“Carry yeh like a right babe if need be,” Hagrid proclaimed. Then amended, “Only I suppose tha’s not the sorta first impression yeh’d like ta make.”

Remus chuckled in spite of the seriousness of the situation. “Somehow a werewolf cub is not what Umbridge is expecting.”

“Not tha’ one,” Hagrid agreed with a grimace. “She’s likely lookin’ ta stir up trouble. Always pretendin’ she’s better than everyone else.”

Capitulating to the inevitable, Poppy cast a quick “Scourgify!” over Remus’ clothing. “The blood stains will require a bit of a soak to come out. Sorry.”

Remus shrugged that it didn’t matter as he soundlessly slipped into his shoes. Tucking in the shirt tails hid most of the torn portions, but there was nothing he could do about the brownish swipe along the sleeve. Rather like he’d been attacked by a broad paintbrush, he considered wryly.

“Here,” Poppy offered as she held out a bar of Honeyduke’s Best Chocolate.

“Isn’t that the antidote for dark magic?” Remus remarked.

She gave him a small inscrutable smile. “Hunger pangs can be debilitating as well.”

“Come, Remus,” Hagrid urged towards the outside corridor. “We’ll grab some fruit on the way.”

At the confusion on Remus’ face, the Headmistress explained, “The fireplace in my office is too small. You’ll need to Floo to Aberforth’s house from the oversized hearth in the main kitchens. My Patronus will alert him that you’re not a pair of mismatched burglars.”

“I’ll send word just a quickly as I can,” Remus promised with one last look towards Teddy and Phoebe.

“Don’t worry; they’re in good hands,” Minerva soothed as she gently eased him towards the exit.

“What will you tell them?” he demanded.

“If they even wake up,” Poppy ventured.

“I’m sure I’ll think of something,” Minerva reassured him with a gentle squeeze of his shoulder. “Now be off. You don’t want to miss your curtain call, do you?”

“This way, Hagrid,” Remus offered. “I know a short-cut that’s not too constricting. Your ability to distinguish the bare outlines through the charm will come in handy.”






All Harry’s earlier fears resurfaced as he heard Remus’ amplified voice from beyond the ebony treeline. “Sorry to be so late; something came up.”

“I’ll just bet it did!” Umbridge snarled as her wand threw the patio gate open so that it clanged against the brick wall. With quick darts of her eyes, she directed her accomplices to circle around and come at Remus from behind.

“Can’t say I’ve ever heard of a talking werewolf,” Ron muttered.

With a flash of anger over her shoulder, Umbridge amplified her own voice. “Mighty articulate for a wolf, aren’t you?”

It was unmistakably Remus’ sinister chuckle that made chills race up their spines. “Perhaps for an ordinary wolf. But thanks to Severus’ tinkering with the Wolfsbane Potion, I’ve become an uber-wolf of sorts.”

“So he said,” Umbridge raged. Under her breath she added, “Although he seemed to have omit --” With an inarticulate choking sound, she backed away from the open window.

It was then that they all saw it. Yellow, feral eyes gleaming from between the dark trees. Pairs of amber spotlights that moved slowly in a wide arc as they considered their prey. It did not take much imagination to envision long, wet tongues licking at bared teeth. A mournful howl ululated from all sides at once.

Snape laid a warning hand on Harry’s shoulder as he stealthily indicated Tonks with his eyes. Come to think of it, she had been usually quiet. Perhaps he’d been wrong to attribute it to fear, Harry considered.

“Do you suppose he’s brought some friends for a midnight snack?” Snape’s deep voice provoked Umbridge.

“You have a singularly cavalier attitude towards your own mortality!” she snapped in return.

“The same might be said for you and your gate-crashers,” Tonks provided.

Crabbe’s rotund slouch came into view as he worked his way back. “Greg’s disappeared. Can’t find him anywhere.”

“What about Lupin?” Umbridge insisted. “He’s the target.”

“Just beyond the fenceline, but too deep in the shadows to see clearly. Can’t get a good shot.” With distress coloring his pinched features, Crabbe added, “What should I do about the others? The advance guard?”

Making a sudden decision, Umbridge ordered, “Keep them at bay. Perhaps I should take a closer look myself.” She double-checked that the surrendered wands were tucked securely into her belt but far enough apart to avoid any accidents.

With a cautious waddle, Umbridge pressed herself against the patio wall. Squinting her porcine eyes into the gloomy depths beyond the open gate, she considered the amorphous shapes which hung back in the shadows. The brilliance of the moon failed to penetrate beyond the lush canopy, transforming the ordinary tree trunks into rows of rampaging soldiers intent on her dismemberment.

Swallowing her nervousness, Umbridge amplified her voice once more. “Shouldn’t a host come forth to greet his guests?”

With a calculating snarl, Remus intoned, “I tire of this charade, Dolores. You’re no more a guest than I’m welcoming you to my home. I can’t imagine my wife didn’t tell you that from the start.”

Visibly steeling herself, Umbridge dared, “Why do you hide, then? Or perhaps more to the point: what do you hide?”

“You wanted to see me; I came. What could be simpler than that?”

“Yet you taunt me from outside the grounds.”

“Simply put: the Fidelius Charm keeps me at arm’s length. It dispels at day break, but I suspect you wanted to see me before the moon set.”

“What have you done with Gregory? Answer me that.”

“Nothing. He’s silently cursing himself for stepping past the perimeter. That and the fact that he failed to pay attention in Charms class.”

The sound of a throat clearing was followed by Goyle’s whiny voice. “It’s true. Once past the outside fence, you can no longer see the house when you turn back. Nothing but a maze of hedgerows as far as the eye can see.”

“Moron!” Umbridge muttered under her breath. “That’s what a Fidelius Charm does.” With a vicious curl to her lip, she insinuated loudly, “And just why do the residents of this expansive estate wish to keep you away, Lupin?”

“It’s a full moon.”

“I know it’s a full moon, you cur! Why do they think you pose a danger to them?”

“Really, can you blame them? Why every mother along the British countryside is taking similar precautions since that illuminating interview with your friend, Fenrir Greyback, was aired. Are you planning surprise visits to all those homes as well?”






“Blimey! He’s a calculating bastard!” Crabbe mumbled.

Even in the moonlight, Umbridge’s face could be seen turning a peculiar shade of puce as she crouched next to the patio wall.

“Your former supervisor might profit from your assistance, Vincent,” Snape issued in a bare whisper.

“Can’t leave my post,” he protested. “What if any of those creatures stormed the patio?”

“I doubt they’re brainless enough to throw themselves at the windows. Not when there’s a juicier prize mincing her way out to greet them,” Snape prompted, his voice a strangely beguiling mixture of callousness and seduction. “Someone should accompany her to the back gate.”

Crabbe looked uncertainly at his former Head of House. “Perhaps you could, sir….”

“My defensive skills won’t have the same impact as your stun gun,” Snape demurred. “And your superiors would be displeased if you entrusted this task to someone else.”

Crabbe hesitated, his eyes full of suspicion as he considered Snape’s suggestion. At Umbridge’s shrill exclamation, he returned his focus to the patio.






“What’s to keep your welcoming committee from tearing me from limb to limb as I work my way down the track?” Umbridge argued peevishly.

“Full stomachs, for one,” Remus provided with malicious relish. “But if it will put your mind at ease…” A sharp whistle echoed eerily in the darkness. Within moments, the glowing amber eyes had retreated deeper into the murkiness. “Feel free to cut down any who don’t heed a direct order.”

Umbridge jumped as Crabbe drew up beside her. “Let me clear the way,” he volunteered.

“What about the others back there?” Umbridge tilted her head meaningfully.

“They’d be fools to step beyond the protection of the building. They’re to bolt themselves into the root cellar if necessary.”

With a curt nod, Umbridge drew back from the open archway. Sweeping his weapon in a wide arc, Crabbe stepped cautiously past the patio wall. A few steps behind, Umbridge’s eyes gleamed with pent-up hatred as her wand washed over the same area.







Only the slightest whisper of wind at his elbow alerted Harry that Snape had made a covert wand motion.

“Tell me you didn’t just hex Umbridge,” he urged lowly, never taking his eyes off the woman’s retreating shadow.

“Tell me you did!” Ginny extolled lowly.

“Not that we’d fault you,” Tonks added breathlessly.

Barely moving his lips in the darkness, Snape remarked, “Merely a Compulsion Charm. Wouldn’t want her to lose her way in the moonlight.”

“A Compulsion placed on a person is mighty close to Imperiusing them,” Ron cautioned.

“That’s very astute,” Hermione echoed as she turned accusatory eyes towards her former professor.

Snape inclined his head in slight acknowledgement. “Which is why I aimed for the back fence instead. That’s where Dolores’ destiny awaits.”

“Dad was just contacting the Auror Department when Hermione and I left,” Ron confirmed.

“Do you think that’s really Remus?” Tonks laid her hand on Severus’ forearm for emphasis.

“Yes.” When he failed to elaborate, all heads turned to survey his stony countenance. “Giving the theatrical performance of his life, I warrant,” Snape grudgingly elaborated.

“What about the minions?” Ron pressed, indicating the glowing eyes that still watched them from deep within the sheltering trees. “That’s hardly a trick of the light.”

“A trick, nevertheless,” Snape asserted. At the unconvinced looks, he fearlessly pushed his wand out the nearest window and cast a Summoning Charm.

The others held their breath as Snape adjusted his arm a number of times. Flying flecks of bark indicated where a tree stood between him and his objective. In Harry’s mind, the mantra repeated that not even Snape would be arrogant enough to summon a snarling werewolf.

With a triumphant grunt, the man whirled around to display two ping-pong sized orbs in his hand. “Recognize these?”

“Floating party lights,” Ginny noted.

“Like we used for our wedding,” Harry echoed.

“How were they able to control them so expertly?” Hermione inquired as she examined the tiny spheres more closely.

“One wand for every pair would be my guess,” Tonks volunteered.

“Which means, Mr. Weasley, that your brothers are here as part of the reinforcements,” Snape surmised.

“Blimey! How many people are out there?” Ron cried.

“Too many trees will interfere with a proper Homenum Revelio Charm,” Hermione cautioned.

“Since Tonks was supplying the ghostly werewolf regiment --” Harry began.

“Sound effects by Dobby,” Tonks confirmed.

“Let’s work our way down to the edge of the property,” Harry finished.

“In case some of our guests need assistance finding their way out,” Tonks reinforced.

With mischief dancing in her eyes, Ginny urged, “Just in time for the fireworks finale.”

Harry was about to dash up the stairs to retrieve spare wands when Dobby appeared with a loud crack at his elbow.

“Dobby took the liberty,” the elf pronounced with pride as he held out Harry’s and Ginny’s auxiliary wands.

With a muttered word of thanks, Harry caught up with Ginny just as she was examining the gate hinges to see if they had been damaged by Dolores’ tantrum.






Umbridge picked her way down the overgrown track that led towards the gaping hole left by the open back gate. Despite the full moon hanging resolutely over her shoulder, very little illumination penetrated the brackish smoke which collected in evil swirls about her thick ankles.

She barely stopped herself from plowing into Crabbe who had come to a full stop just before the fenceline. He gazed open-mouthed at a dark figure which had risen before him in the lane beyond.

“Mr. Diggory, sir,” he stammered, ignoring the scowl which Umbridge fixed upon him. “I wasn’t really expecting….this was just routine….” He swallowed nervously as he surrendered his stun gun into the hands of his new Department Head.

“So Gregory here has been telling me,” Amos confirmed. “Said Ms. Umbridge was quite persuasive.”

“Don’t get on your high hippogriff, Amos,” Umbridge scoffed. “You know full well that I’m within my rights.”

“Did you find a werewolf present, Dolores?” Amos inquired with a sharp lift to his graying eyebrow.

“That’s what I was trotting down here to find,” she returned sharply.

“Tell me what you see then,” Amos instructed her with a wide sweep of his arm in the direction of the gate.

Umbridge blinked repeatedly into the darkness where the guard booth should have been. Perched atop a boulder that bordered the very edge of the Fildelius Charm, Remus leaned against the high fence from the outside. The arm he had wrapped around the tall metal post held him in place as he slowly lowered the wand from his throat.

It took Umbridge’s brain a few extra seconds to acknowledge what her eyes were telling her. “You can’t be….”

Through his exhaustion, Remus issued a shaky smile. “Not exactly what you expected, eh?”

“You’re a werewolf!”

“Since I was five years old,” Remus agreed as he slowly lowered himself into a sitting position. “Don’t tell me you fell for Lockhart’s tripe about a Homorphus Charm; that only works for Animagi.”

“THEN HOW IN BLAZES --”

“Now, Dolores,” Moody issued as he inched his way from the other side of the lane. “Didn’t your mother ever tell you it was impolite to inquire too keenly about another’s medical condition?”

“Not when it endangers others!” Dolores emphasized with a stamp of her foot.

Remus’ sharp laugh held a hint of self-depreciation. “I’m more of a danger to myself tonight.”

“Been chewing your own arm?” Umbridge snapped. “Or is that how you establish dominance?”

“Tripped with a glass vial in my hand,” Remus acknowledged as he held up his bandaged hand.

“Let me clarify the situation,” Amos put forth as he motioned for a dazed Crabbe to join Goyle along the sidelines.

Eddie took a step back so he could cover both men with his wand.

“Did you find a werewolf tonight?” Amos urged Dolores as he would a recalcitrant child.

“What about those that were stalking us?” she demanded. “The rest of the pack?”

“Floating faerie lights!” Fred cried out as he beckoned his twin forward.

“Did you miss us, Professor?” George smirked.

“Why you filthy trouble-makers…” Dolores began as she stalked into the lane with her wand held high. A ring of Aurors brought her up short.

“All it takes is a single wolf to be vindicated, Dolores,” Moody growled. “Otherwise, forcing entry into an estate protected by the Fidelius Charm sounds remarkably like trespassing to me.”

“Did you disarm the residents?” Amos coaxed as he noticed her belt.

“I asked for a voluntary surrender of wands,” Dolores confirmed with a haughty sniff.

“Did you stop to think that would leave them defenseless if there really was a slavering beast stalking them?” the deep voice of Kingsley Shacklebolt issued as he strode forth from the shadows. “Sorry I was delayed, folks.”

“Do you always send your staff to pick up the pieces so you can waltz in and take credit?” Umbridge groused as she looked up into Kingsley’s impassive features.

“I share your frustration, Dolores,” Kingsley’s intoned calmly. “I would much rather have faced a domestic disturbance than the solemn faces of the Wizengamot.”

“You don’t really think you can press charges,” Umbridge issued truculently.

“Not without a complaint,” Kingsley attested. “Any volunteers?”

“Not you,” Moody waved Remus off before he could open his mouth. “You may be the aggrieved party, but you were elsewhere for the most part.”

“I’ll do it!” Harry announced as he boldly strode past the gate and into view of those blocked by the Fidelius Charm.

“And we’ll be glad to attest to all manner of defamatory statements made by Ms. Umbridge,” Hermione announced as Ginny and Ron drew up as well.

“She gave us quite an earful,” Snape confirmed with a dark scowl. “Not just invectives directed at Lupin.”

“Little you know!” Despite her squat stature, Umbridge somehow managed to look down her nose at the rest of them. “The Auror Department is hardly interested in dissecting drawing room banter. Who could possibly remember everything that was said?”

“Now wait right there!” Ginny fairly spat as she confronted Umbridge nose to nose.

“What makes your powers of recollection so much better than mine, missy?” Umbridge returned smugly. “If bad manners were punishable by jail time, I doubt Hogwarts would be enjoying the services of its current Potions Master.”

Snape made as if to take a step closer to Umbridge only to be forestalled by Hermione digging furiously in the pockets of his robe. He fixed her with an icy glower. “Miss Granger! This is hardly the time…and what could you have possibly lost in my pockets?”

With a cry of triumph, Hermione held her prize aloft.

“That does not belong to you --” Snape made as if to snatch the offensive mobile phone from Hermione’s hands but she backed out of reach.

In the next instant, Umbridge’s voice jeered in crystalline clarity, “Shows what you know. None of you abecedarians are remotely aware of the inner workings of politics. Maintaining the peace is a much more complicated balancing act than outsiders would suppose. As the Minister’s Senior Undersecretary, I was often assigned to make overtures to fringe groups to establish some common ground. Help them to work with the administration, rather than oppose it…”

All eyes turned to Umbridge’s face as the color drained from her puffy cheeks. “I hardly think those Muggle contraptions are admissible before the Wizengamot,” she sputtered.

“They’re not,” Kingsley attested with a firm set to his lips. “But I daresay they will help prompt your memory, don’t you think, Dolores?” As Umbridge fairly simmered, Kingsley turned his attention to Hermione. “If you please? I believe this object just became material evidence in a criminal investigation.”

Hermione hesitated as she traded looks with Snape and Kingsley and back again. Snape darted before her and protested, “That object belongs to a student. The Headmistress charged me with returning it to her “ undamaged “ at the end of term.”

“As well you will,” Kingsley affirmed as he signaled for Savage to retrieve the phone.

Snape bodily interceded once again. “When has a Ministry investigation ever concluded within a month’s time?”

“We’ll return it to her at a later date,” Savage dismissed only to find that Hermione had handed the phone to Ron who handed it off to Harry.

“The Ministry will buy her a replacement, at the very least,” Snape insisted.

“Not good enough,” Hermione added. “There’s all manner of data stored within that small box.”

“Do you know how to transfer the information from one device to another?” Kingsley posed to Hermione.

“Yes.”

“Then that’s what we’ll do. I’ll make the funds available so that Miss…”

“Helmbright,” Snape supplied through tight lips.

“…so that Miss Helmbright can receive an upgraded model,” Kingsley proclaimed. “There’s a new version of these things coming out every week, I’ve been told. I’ll entrust Hermione and Harry here to take care of that, seeing as how they both have no trouble weaving in among the Muggle world.”

Savage made as if to retrieve the phone from Harry, but Kingsley caught him by the arm. “Harry’s in charge of the investigation now.”

“Not if he’s filing the complaint, he’s not,” Proudfoot protested.

“With Remus’ permission, I think I might drop that complaint,” Harry issued in a measured tone.

Remus looked up from where he was caught up in Tonks’ tight embrace and gave a quick nod.

Harry barely noticed Umbridge’s self-satisfied snort, as he added, “I believe a review of tonight’s evidence may warrant more serious charges filed against Ms. Umbridge.”

“What sorts of things?” Kingsley urged.

“Certainly you should have cause to open investigations into crimes of sedition and conspiracy,” Tonks provided without hesitation as her Auror background came to the fore.

“Possibly treason,” Harry amended. “If I can establish intent.”

Fidgeting with outrage as her wand was relinquished into Proudfoot’s hands, Umbridge huffed, “Don’t look so pleased with yourself, Alastor. Any barrister worth his salt will argue that if testimony via Pensieve is barred, then a Muggle recording device is not all that different.”

Totally unruffled, Moody asserted, “Pensieve memories are filtered through the personal prejudices of the original witness.”

“A recording device is just as neutral as the Stenographer’s Quills that are used during interrogations,” Hermione put forth.

“Let’s allow the Aurors to do their work,” Kingsley suggested. Turning his back, he ushered the others out of Umbridge’s hearing. “Yet another way in which Dolores’ influence brings about change; although I doubt it was what she intended. What she doesn’t realize is that I familiarized myself enough with technology during my undercover assignment with the Muggle Prime Minister that I’m no longer afraid of it.”

“So you changed the rules?” Hermione considered as they drew abreast of Remus and Tonks.

From Kingsley’s side, Percy proclaimed, “The Wizengamot entertained a motion of no confidence towards Scrimgeour today. He resigned.”

“Disgraced due to not severing his association with Umbridge,” confirmed Kingsley. “Made everyone wonder about Rufus’ true loyalties in spite of his recent restructuring of the Magical Creatures Department.”

“Tarred wit’ the same brush,” Hagrid supplied.

Percy acknowledged, “As of midnight, Kingsley’s Acting Minister.”

“Confirmation hearings scheduled for mid-week,” Kingsley clarified.

“A mere formality I’m sure,” Remus remarked as he caught Kingsley in a congratulatory hand-shake.

“Let me be the first to congratulate you, Kings,” Tonks gushed as she gave him a one-arm hug.

Clearly overwhelmed, Kingsley beseeched, “Truly, we haven’t even made a proper announcement to the press yet. Promise that you lot will keep mum.”

Percy elaborated, “I was just on my way to owl the Prophet when we were alerted to your distress call. No one would’ve interrupted a closed session earlier.”








With a wide grin, Fred offered, “Did you like our new product, Bro?” He indicated the empty canister Ron was clutching in his hand.

“A variation of the hugely popular Decoy Detonators,” George supplied from Ron’s other side. “Something more controlled.”

Ron nodded eagerly. “So you just guide this aircraft towards your target?”

“Using a Locomotor Charm,” Fred expounded. “But it’s not just any aircraft; notice the detail.”

Ron was stumped as he turned the fuselage labeled 41st Squadron this way and that.

With sudden inspiration, Harry volunteered, “You’ve replicated the stealth design recently declassified by the RAF. Look at the dark color, Ron. Almost black, but not quite.”

Fred’s smile increased in intensity. “It’s not polygraphite, if that’s what you’re thinking.”

“Much too expensive “ and actually worthless in wizarding terms,” George added.

“Aren’t those the planes that are supposed to be invisible?” Ron posed as he struggled to keep up with Muggle issues.

“Undetectable by radar,” George corrected.

“Otherwise, how would they have managed to publish a snapshot?” Fred chortled.

“Hardly seems worth the trouble to hide such a small object,” Harry mused aloud. “The color alone lets it blend into the shadows.”

Fred agreed. “So we concluded for ourselves.”

“Made some innovations that are more beneficial to our way of thinking,” his twin commented.

“Spells bounce off it. Just try a basic Summoning Charm,” Fred invited as he placed the empty hull a number of feet away.

With a trusting smile, Ron complied. Seconds later, an invisible tether pull off his belt. “Bloody hell!”

Harry broke out in laughter as Ron quickly grabbed the waistband of his trousers.

“I can see why yeh’d stock tha’ in yer Joke Shop,” Hagrid wheezed.

Drawn by the merriment, Ginny suggested mischievously, “What would happen if I used a Reductor Curse?”

The twins blanched in unison.

“DON’T!” Fred cried as he threw up his hands in warning.

“We need to test that in a controlled environment,” George confided in a shaky voice.

“Like we did in the Room of Requirement,” Fred echoed.

“Harry wouldn’t much appreciate it if yeh defoliated his Bowtruckle Preserve,” Hagrid pronounced solemnly.

“So this baby’s responsible for that black fog that hugged the ground,” Ron approved. “Wicked!”

With obvious pride, Fred remarked, “A unique mixture of Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder --”

“”married to that ground mist from the Portable Swamp,” George interjected.

“Delaying tactic guaranteed to make pursuers stumble in unfamiliar terrain,” Fred finished.

“So you’re calling them Stealth Stumblers?” Ginny deadpanned.

“Make a note of that,” George insisted happily.

“Nice ring to it,” Fred affirmed. “Thanks, Sis.”

“Took you 41 tries to get it right,” Ron noted as he pointed to the hollow fuselage.

“Naw, Bro,” Fred assured him with a friendly slap on the back. “We’re not as dim-witted as all that.”

Making a big show of scratching his head, George demanded, “What was that high-brow insult Umbridge threw at you?”

“She called us abecedarians,” Harry supplied lowly.

“Right,” George blithely nodded. “Made me picture a group of orangutans trying to learn their alphabet.”

“Not that we haven’t been described as monkeys in the past,” his twin remarked candidly.

“So the novelty shop is a monkey business?” Ginny quipped.

“Rightly so!” Fred proudly affirmed even as Ginny’s laugh rippled. “Still it only took about a dozen tries to perfect the Stealth Stumblers.”

“Forty-one is a tribute to the prophetic natures of our birthdays,” George addressed specifically to Ron. “April first is --”

“April Fool’s Day,” Ron issued on cue.

“Dedicated to jokesters the world over,” Fred rhapsodized.

Shaking hands all around, Moody offered his appreciation, “Great work, lads. That’s one impressive bag of tricks you have on hand.”

“We should be thanking you for allowing us to test our prototype in the field,” George returned, modesty lending a hint of color to his cheeks.

“What did the ebony fog look like from the house?” Fred urged as he prepared to make some quick notes.

Harry took a moment to bring up the image in his mind’s eye. “Hardly noticeable from a distance, but definitely added to the eeriness that kept Umbridge and her henchmen unbalanced.”

“Really disorienting to walk through,” Ron testified. “Could hardly see my own feet.”

“Tonks’ ghostly wolves seem to float over the ground,” Harry recalled. “Almost as if they could’ve charged the house with a mere thought.”

With a knowing wink, Fred observed, “Patronuses can swoop just like that.”

“Hermione had old Toad-Face convinced that Remus could commune with his lupine ancestors,” Ginny volunteered.

“I did begin by saying everything was pure conjecture,” Hermione insisted.

Ron added, “But she was convinced by what her eyes were telling her.”

“And not her brain,” Harry interjected wryly.

“Just imagining Remus as a new-age Necromancer is funny in itself,” Percy chortled as he joined them.

“He’d have to borrow Xeno’s outlandish robes,” Bill opined.

Draping a dark arm over each of the twin’s shoulders, Kingsley’s deep voice rang forth, “Please tell me those products aren’t on the market yet.”

“The party lights are,” Fred replied. “But the disorienting fog is spanking new.”

“I’d like to appropriate it for use by the Auror Department,” Kingsley proposed. “Can we have an exclusive contract drawn up?”

“Just as long as I’m not involved,” Harry cautioned. “Major conflict of interest here.” Not only was he one of the twins’ investors, but being their brother-in-law would complicate things further.

With a broad smile, Kingsley promised, “I’ll make sure it’s one of the final actions I take as Head Auror.”






As Kingsley and Percy excused themselves to call a last minute press conference, Eddie couldn’t shake the feeling that something was being overlooked. He didn’t interfere when Moody released Crabbe and Goyle into Amos Diggory’s hands for whatever disciplinary actions their new Head warranted.

“I’ll need you both to make an official statement,” Moody instructed to the chagrined faces turned in his direction. “But since Harry has agreed to drop the original complaint, that can wait until Monday.”

“Don’t be sitting pretty at home, men. Looks like we’re going to be reviewing those guidelines for civilian interventions “ especially when it comes to werewolf issues,” Amos warned as he led them away. “Our duty is to foster understanding, not unjust oppression.”

Moody turned his attention to Umbridge who continued to twitch against the Full-Body Bind. Such force of will, Eddie considered silently; it was a good thing the senior-most Auror had added an air gag at the last moment.

In a melodic tone that approximated her own, Moody suggested, “Save your voice for the official interrogation, Dolores. We’re all just dying to hear what you have to say for yourself.”

Since both Proudfoot and Savage were currently assigned to the graveyard shift, Moody instructed them to escort Umbridge back to Auror Headquarters to begin the paperwork. He promised to join them in short order.

As Moody turned in his direction, Eddie knew he was about to be dismissed for the night. With sudden clarity, he leaned over and spoke tersely into Moody’s ear.

Nodding gravely, Moody mumbled, “You raise a valid point.”

The man’s magical eye made a dizzying circuit of the area. Zeroing in on Harry, Moody waved him over. “Eddie here located a small wrinkle. Since Umbridge’s detainment is going to be based upon today’s events, there may be some question as to how she was able to circumvent a Fidelius Charm.”

“Wouldn’t want anyone to question the validity of that recording, either,” Eddie amended.

“So you need to establish the exact steps that she took,” Harry summarized.

“It would also give us something to compare to the version she tells us during questioning,” Eddie considered.

Harry issued a rueful chuckle. “Hard to believe you actually graduated the year before Umbridge descended on Hogwarts, Eddie. You have her personality traits down to a ‘T’.”

“Seeing as how you’re school mates, Eddie, why don’t you get Harry to walk you through Dolores’ actions?” Moody proposed.

“Glad to do it,” Harry accommodated.

“Take some crime scene photos, too,” Moody reminded.

“Got the camera right here. Miniaturized, of course.” Eddie confirmed as he tapped the inside pocket of his Auror robes. “The report will be on your desk when you arrive tomorrow.”

“Not so fast!” Moody growled. “What time does your regular shift end, lad?”

Without hesitation, Eddie replied, “Midnight. But that doesn’t mean --”

“Yes, it does,” Moody rumbled amicably. “As soon as you finish walking through the crime scene, you’re off the clock. Organize your notes during your next shift. There’s no one breathing down our backs on this one.”

“In other words, save your adrenaline for when it’s needed,” Harry attested as he steered Eddie towards the house that would not become visible for a few more yards. “Same goes for you, Mad-Eye,” he shot with a smirk over his shoulder.

“Are you kidding?” Moody volleyed back. “I’ve been waiting years to see dear Dolores processed like a common criminal. I feel guilty not having to pay for the privilege.”

“In that case, take some photos for the rest of us,” Harry returned. “There’s an extra camera in my bottom desk drawer. The password is --”

“No need,” Moody called back. “My eye already made a note of it on the first day.”

Seeing Eddie’s dazed expression, Harry clarified, “I owe that crotchety old war-horse my life, you know. While everyone else was too squeamish, he drained a good third of my blood to make sure there were no lingering effects from Voldemort’s poison.”

“Isn’t such sudden blood loss dangerous?” Eddie inquired with concern.

“Considering there was no known antidote to the poison, I’m extraordinary lucky.”

Harry guided Eddie by the arm past the boundaries of the Fidelius Charm. Without instructions specifically from the Secret-Keeper, it was the only method that would work. He waited for the sharp intake of breath that signified the other man had just witnessed the house materializing out of thin air. A bit like Brigadoon, Tonks liked to say “ but her Muggle references could be a bit obscure.

Deciding it was wisest to gloss over Dobby’s contribution for now, Harry urged, “Come, we’ll have to catch up with Remus. He’s the one who figured out how Umbridge outsmarted us.”

“Professor Lupin?” Eddie posed with undisguised eagerness. “He was my favorite N.E.W.T. level teacher. The only one whose classes were fun.”

“Be sure to tell him that,” Harry chuckled.

“So glad you brought a guest,” Ginny provided as Harry made quick introductions. “Remus told Teddy that the rest of us had been detained due to an unexpected visit from a schoolmate.”

Harry grimaced. “Tough sell with Umbridge.”

Ginny nodded. “You know how many questions Teddy likes to ask.”

“That’s my godson,” Harry explained. “It’s a right shame you won’t get a chance to meet him and his sister tonight.”

“Their father evacuated them at the first sign of trouble,” Ginny explained.

Eddie nodded absently as he joined the small gathering making its way towards the expansive house before them. Once inside the patio, he passed a familiar face huddled in deep conversation with none other than Severus Snape. Definitely not one of his favorite teachers, although the taciturn man would probably be pleased to hear that as well. As for the young woman, wasn’t her name Hillary? Something that began with an ‘H’ that was for certain. He’d ask Harry later. The one thing he remembered clearly was that she had been top of her form in every single subject.